Parsons Brinckerhoff Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Parsons Brinckerhoff CEO and Director George J. Pierson
George J. Pierson

Pros
  • Great work life balance but that also depends on your manager (in 32 reviews)

• Great people, supportive management - the environment was uplifting and supports people who get the job done (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Very poor work life balance resulting from gross mismanagement (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management across the board is just awful (in 16 reviews)

1. "VP Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Parsons Brinckerhoff (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong history, Great Projects, Good people,

Cons

Disconnected Canadian/UK owners and Management who don't understand the engineering industry and manage the firm by accountants.

Advice to Management

Recognize that your resources go out the door every night and you want to encourage them to comeback everyday.

"A destroyed leagacy"

Current Employee - Transportaion Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Transportaion Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Parsons Brinckerhoff was once a hallowed engineering firm with a proud 130 + year history that was sought after by agency owners. Since the acquisition, engineers are commodities.

Cons

Current firm is being run by accountants who don't understand the engineering business. WSP is nuking the hallowed name of Parsons Brinckerhoff one that I learned about in engineering school over 30 years ago. They are going to go by WSP, or another nondescript name that means absolutely nothing. When my clients here of dropping the Parsons Brinckerhoff name the say it is the loss of a legacy tied to the first NYC subways to BART, MARTA and the Boston Central Artery Project. WSP doesn't mean anything except We See Profit. Truly a said day for long time employees.

Advice to Management

Still Time to reconsider the firm name change in the US. Make it Parsons Brinckerhoff a division of WSP. Need to refocus on the business of engineering and not simply the ROI because without the engineering there will be no ROI. Past CEO Pierson sold us out for a $12M bonus.

"Senior Project Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Park, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Park, TX

I worked at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company with ample opportunity to grow in the field of design and construction. Decent pay structure.

Cons

Too structured in approach to projects. A lot of big egos in upper management and set in their ways to do work,

Advice to Management

Update style to deal with 21st Century employees and clients.

"Executive asst."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of great people to work with.

Cons

Too much secrecy in that company. Managers don't know how to give positive feedback to their employees. They are always looking out for their own benefit and would throw you under the bus to cover their own back. It's not the company it used to be.

Advice to Management

Remember the people who look out for you and helped you through the tough times. They are worth the extra compensation and acknowledgment.

"Not What It Used To Be"

Former Employee - Director in Ephrata, PA
    Former Employee - Director in Ephrata, PA

I worked at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary is descent. People are great

Cons

Executive leadership refuse to staff to the needs of the group. As a result, workloads are out of control driving 70+ hour weeks. Some staff are able to claim OT even if they are exempt while others cannot. Senior management Try to get results by cussing you out in front of peers and other executives.

Advice to Management

Management needs to recognize the work being done by the staff and show a little appreciation. Being told that I "fing" do nothing is not how to motivate people and those conversations are the reason I chose to leave.

"Associate Consultant"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in DC Ranch, AZ
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in DC Ranch, AZ

I have been working at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great experience for a new hire. You get to work with top transportation professionals and learn alot about the transportation field.

Cons

You are respected and expect to do hard and exciting work! However it it hard to move up. Years matter more than good work. Experience is more important than intelligence or creativity.

8. "Career to a Job in 3 years"

Former Employee - Senior CAD Designer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Senior CAD Designer in Tampa, FL

I worked at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

close to my house, parking garage at the building, nice break room. Clean office atmosphere. Free coffee and free bagels on payday.

Cons

Poor utilization of staff, serious lack of communication and work planning. After wsp buyout it became even worse. Insurance plans are very costly. Not enough work to keep folks busy.

Advice to Management

Be honest with the staff, treat the staff like humans and not numbers.

"Not a good experience"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA

Pros

The location of the office was convenient

Cons

This company doesn't value or respect support staff. It's a very political company run by a small group of old men. At one point it was made very clear to me that if I didn't 'volunteer' for a political candidate's campaign who I did not support that I would be fired. Also, I found that the younger women were treated with blatant favoritism over women who were more mature.

Advice to Management

They could care less and so I won't respond.

"Needs to review and redefine itself and its policies"

Current Employee - Administrative/Executive Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Administrative/Executive Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Parsons Brinckerhoff full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has an excellent reputation as a top-notch engineering firm. Employees take great pride in knowing that PB was instrumental in building the original NYC subway, developing early rail lines in China, and that PB continues to be part of important and exciting projects around the world.

Cons

Shortly after being hired by this engineering leader it became clear that the company under-values any employee serving in a support role. They've already cut staff, limited increases and promotions, and removed everything that might improve employee morale in their quest to maximize profits and reward senior management and engineers. This employee questions the ethics of the company leaders who promote these policies.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate the policies that impact your administrative and support staff. You may consider us expendable - but we are real people with families and mortgages and dreams. We deserve to be treated as the valuable contributors we are.

11. "Ok, but there are better firms"

Former Employee - Engineer I in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Engineer I in Honolulu, HI

Pros

Great perks, learned a lot about a big org

Cons

Terrible Management. No communication, a lot of hedging by people to find ideal workers.