Participant Media Reviews

Updated Apr 4, 2021

3.1
Participant Media Chief Executive Officer David Linde (no image)
David Linde
Pros
  • "Most employees deeply care about creating social change through campaigns(in 5 reviews)

• "Some very caring, talented people work here(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Upper management crushes all the light out the this well-meaning organization(in 7 reviews)

• "Top heavy & political, should emphasize hiring more people who get things done(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Loved it!

Apr 4, 2021 - Senior Vice President Marketing in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

mission was incredible when I was there

Cons

change management transition in between new leadership

2. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

It's okay, some good some bad.

Dec 11, 2020 - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great, hardworking, committed co-workers. Company mission is great.

Cons

Opaque decision making. Lack of shared understanding around what company is trying to do.

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Some great people

Feb 6, 2020 - Media Analyst in Beverly Hills, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really enjoyed my time at Participant for the most part. You get a lot of very passionate people who really care about the work there doing and there are bonds that develop that I haven’t seen other places I’ve worked in the industry.

Cons

Leadership could use some serious work. Unfortunately Skoll isn’t there in any kind of regular basis so upper management walks all over everyone. The CEO is old school Hollywood insecure and verbally abusive and some of his cronies are trying to relive their wonder years in the industry. They create a culture of fear that I don’t think they’re even aware of. Or maybe they are and that’s even scarier.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company

Jan 30, 2020 - Coordinator
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great People, Great Work Culture

Cons

Fractured Departmental Relations, Standard Industry Lag

5. 5.0

Best job experience ever

Jul 21, 2019 - Systems Administrator in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great team management. I was given marching orders and then a good amount of autonomy to carry out my responsibilities. Projects were interesting and challenging. It seemed like effort was put into creating an enjoyable work environment.

Cons

None that I remember. All in all a great experience.

6. 4.0
      Former Employee

Would definitely work there again

Jun 3, 2019 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great team, mission, and benefits

Cons

Management is hands-on in areas they don't understand

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

A great company, with a great mission

Dec 6, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Mission driven company producing extraordinarily high quality content that makes a positive difference in the world; Competitive pay and benefits; Warm and caring colleagues

Cons

It can be difficult to balance the "double bottom line" goals to reach the company's full potential

8. 4.0
      Former Employee

Good Place to start with your career

Sep 13, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- You will get to learn a lot about your field.

Cons

- You will a career wall easily.

9. 2.0

Looks better on paper

Jan 2, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Great benefits -Amazing and smart employees -Produces good quality, award-winning content -Modern building with various fully stocked kitchens -Most employees deeply care about creating social change through campaigns -Most people get promoted within a year

Cons

-The majority of employees take on their position excited about working for an entertainment company that cares about creating social good in the world and usually leave after learning that it's all a facade -No diversity -Lack of transparency/communication on vision of the company often leaving staff in the dark about long-term goals -Poor branding, no one knows of Participant -Poor or no processes causing confusion -Turnover is very high, most staff leave after 1 to 2 years of working at the company

7 people found this review helpful
    10. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Cool place to work but not much to do for interns

Aug 24, 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

The office in Beverly Hills is beautiful with an open plan that lets you move around and not feel stifled. The people working there are great, beautiful people and I connected really well with them. There was one cool project involving all of the interns, but that was only towards the end of my time there.

Cons

In terms of the internship experience, there wasn't a whole lot to do. Maybe that's just part and parcel of the position, but the people I worked for didn't have a whole lot for me to do outside of reading scripts, and they rarely actually engaged us beyond giving us our reading assignments. I was expecting a much more fulfilling experience, and honestly, I probably could have pushed harder for one, but it didn't seem like any of the interns really felt like a part of the company.

3 people found this review helpful