Participant Media Reviews

Updated Feb 6, 2020

Participant Media Chief Executive Officer David Linde (no image)
David Linde
Pros
  • "Great intern program, positive work environment, supervisors provide a lot of support and learning opportunities(in 5 reviews)

• "Some very caring, talented people work here(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management crushes all the light out the this well-meaning organization(in 7 reviews)

• "Top heavy & political, should emphasize hiring more people who get things done(in 5 reviews)

"Best job experience ever"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in New York, NY

I worked at Participant Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team management. I was given marching orders and then a good amount of autonomy to carry out my responsibilities. Projects were interesting and challenging. It seemed like effort was put into creating an enjoyable work environment.

Cons

None that I remember. All in all a great experience.

Participant Media2019-07-21

"Some great people"

Former Employee - Media Analyst in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Participant Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really enjoyed my time at Participant for the most part. You get a lot of very passionate people who really care about the work there doing and there are bonds that develop that I haven’t seen other places I’ve worked in the industry.

Cons

Leadership could use some serious work. Unfortunately Skoll isn’t there in any kind of regular basis so upper management walks all over everyone. The CEO is old school Hollywood insecure and verbally abusive and some of his cronies are trying to relive their wonder years in the industry. They create a culture of fear that I don’t think they’re even aware of. Or maybe they are and that’s even scarier.

Participant Media2020-02-07
  3. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Coordinator

I have been working at Participant Media full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great People, Great Work Culture

Cons

Fractured Departmental Relations, Standard Industry Lag

Participant Media2020-01-31

"Would definitely work there again"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Participant Media full-time

Pros

Great team, mission, and benefits

Cons

Management is hands-on in areas they don't understand

Participant Media2019-06-03
  5. "A great company, with a great mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Participant Media full-time

Pros

Mission driven company producing extraordinarily high quality content that makes a positive difference in the world; Competitive pay and benefits; Warm and caring colleagues

Cons

It can be difficult to balance the "double bottom line" goals to reach the company's full potential

Participant Media2018-12-06
  6. "Good Place to start with your career"

I worked at Participant Media part-time

Pros

- You will get to learn a lot about your field.

Cons

- You will a career wall easily.

Participant Media2018-09-14

"Participant"

I worked at Participant Media full-time

Pros

It's a beautiful building and they do a good job of hiring an eclectic group of people throughout departments– there's decent diversity. The benefits are pretty good and they make an effort to practice what they preach in terms of sustainability and philanthropy.

Cons

They do not promote women, for the most part. You're made to feel that the company wants you to make your career there, but they don't promote from within. TakePart in particular offered raises to male writers and not to their female employees. This isn't just a "lean in" issue. On at least four occasions I experienced and saw women passed over for jobs they were more than qualified for and men from outside the company were offered the positions instead.

Participant Media2018-02-12

"Coordinator"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Participant Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company definitely attracts quality people. So many join the company with the goal to effect social change and do great work that will have a measurable social impact. I’ve been able to work alongside some very bright, smart and talented people who have great ideas and have been a pleasure to work with. As a company they have good intentions. The mission is ambitious and lofty and people like myself chose to work with them because we wanted to help with making the mission a reality.

Cons

Although the company has a great mission, the willingness to do the work to make it a reality is nonexistent. It’s really a façade. They do just enough to get by and not publicly get called out for it. The executive team pays a lot of lip service to transparency, making a social impact and being a “family.” However, the business decisions they make are not in alignment with these goals. In fact, many of their actions undermine employee’s ability to do work towards carrying out the mission. During my time with the company they have never presented an overall plan that allows people to see how what they do can serve the mission. And unfortunately, the organizational culture supports this murky way of approaching business without a clearly defined, well thought out plan. So, even if you’re a hard worker with great ideas and the best of intentions, you have a hard time moving ahead. The organization is built for you to contribute just enough to keep things going, but not enough to where you can have opportunities for professional development and growth.

Continue reading
    Participant Media2017-11-22
  9. "Sales"

I have been working at Participant Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company focused on storytelling with social impact

Cons

Lack of commitment to business lines helping to create social impact work

Participant Media2017-10-31
  10. "Positive Work Environment"

I worked at Participant Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The HR team at Participant did an excellent job of communicating with employees and encouraging a collaborative environment and positive company culture.

Cons

Some former executive management leaders were a bit closed-minded to the evolving media landscape which resulted in a trickle down of limited capabilities in the marketplace.

Participant Media2017-08-16