Party City Assistant Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Assistant Manager

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jerry Rittenberg

Pros
  • Fun to work very colorful energetic friendly environment independent sometimes friendly customers (in 29 reviews)

• fun environment and never had a problem with other employees (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is minimum wage, so if you're looking for a job to pay rent I would recommend looking elsewhere (in 70 reviews)

• Low pay for management positions compared to competitors (in 57 reviews)

1. "Party Supply Company"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Party City full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced work environment and no Christmas rush to contend with as at other retail. Customers are generally happy to be at the store looking to plan a party.

Cons

High expectations from corporate for presentation and performance with minimal work for and hours.

Advice to Management

Be prepared to change your plan for the day on a dime when business or the incoming freight becomes the priority. You go through 28 seasonal changes, some small and some large, fluidity is key throughout the year. Halloween is your biggest season which will spread a normal Black Friday business across the two weeks leading up to Halloween.

2. "Party time"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Party City full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company for full time associates.

Cons

Not a lot of hours, so managers do most of work.

Advice to Management

Be ready to work hard and wear comfortable shoes.

3. "Executive Assistant Manager (no longer exists)"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Party City full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Holiday, sick, vacation pay, always lots to do and the days go by fast!

Cons

Things are always changing! Upper management cannot decide how they want to execute processes. It was all changing when I was laid off, so maybe their processes will start to run smoother now.

Advice to Management

Give the stores hours for customer service!

"Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Party City full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pros are very few and far between with this organization.
    Lenient with day off requests.
    No Black Friday or crazy Christmas season.

Cons

Setup is constantly changing. Corporate will give you direction one day to set an aisle and then by tomorrow or less, change their mind, resulting in doing it all over again.

Little to no payroll. You cannot operate successfully with the hours given per week. You have to write a realistic schedule and then cut and cut and cut back until you meet their forecasted hours, which are usually enough to schedule two people in the day and two at night with a manager.Good luck.Which leads to...

Irritated customers. Irritated that you are shorthanded, irritated that there is nobody on the floor, since everyone in the building, including management (if your co manager is not too lazy) is on a register or blowing balloons.They do not understand that we would love to hire more than 13 people and give them plenty of hours, and schedule accordingly, but this is all impossible with the payroll given. Which leads to....

Irritated District and Regional managers.
    Why aren't the five million things between emails and the planner not completed, they ask. See previous sections.Unrealistic expectations with the hours and tasks given by corporate.You can have the greatest crew that you can assemble, and still fall short with the terrible workload and mnimal hour support.

It has been said that this company does not like to listen to new ideas, and I have to agree with having been with them for so long.They do not seem to be willing to adapt.Adaptation is the key to business, maybe they will figure that out one year.

Lazy co-managers. If you have one of these, good luck. I had lazy GM after lazy GM, come and go, which was eventually the reason for me leaving. I guess I should thank them. If you have a lazy co management team, then you are screwed. Every manager is responsible for an area of the store, and even if your area looks solid and the lazy GMs who are never there, or never working if they are there, have a crappy section, you too will take the blame and have to eventually fix it yourself, since you are a "manager" of the store.

The raises are a joke. I have had many great reviews met with increases of .08 for one year and get this - .02 for another. Keep the change,ya filthy animal.

Advice to Management

They wont listen to any of it, but:
    Pay your employees better for what you expect.
    Stop changing the layout of the store every week.
    Give them better raises than 2 cents a year.
    Do an Undercover Boss. Let them see what it is like to operate their own messed up business.
    Increase payroll.
    Get rid of that god awful Drews Famous Music station. Are you too cheap to pay for Muzak?

6. "Mismanaged........."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

Very physical job. I loved the personal accountability for data integrity. Terrible manager. This guy will go down as the worst leadership I've ever known in a big box store.

Cons

Let me illuminate for you. A hand truck is a fairly basic piece of equipment. Especially when you're going to have to break down 13 pallets with about 17 cartons per pallet. No way man. We're all men here, we're going to pick them up and move them like 4 or 5 times.

Management claimed the hand truck was on the way............

No hand truck. That's okay ,I get paid hourly and would rather spend 1.5 hours doing something that should take 15 minutes.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring managers that make passes at coworkers and colleagues.

"Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant Manager in Lake Charles, LA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant Manager in Lake Charles, LA

I have been working at Party City full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you do your job well, you can easily retire with this company. It is all up to how patient you can be..

Cons

Too many to list, but the biggest con for an ASM is that you will do a ton of hard work, and managing maybe 25% of the time. The Work/Life Balance is awful, but that is retail.

Advice to Management

Merchandising is the worst I have seen with any company I have been with. It needs to change. The bulk candy needs to be weighed. Cover music on continuous loop in your stores is like torturing your employees and customers. It was a bad idea, and I have had employees quit because it is so bad.

"Awful place"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

discount was ok
    co workers were pleasant

Cons

lack of training
    corporates lack of knowledge as to what goes on at store level

Advice to Management

treat your employees like human beings

9. "asst. manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Benton Harbor, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Benton Harbor, MI

I worked at Party City (More than 5 years)

Pros

good pay,generous time off,nice co workers

Cons

to much work,not possible,never enou
    gh help

"Executive Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant Manager in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant Manager in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at Party City full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Executive Assistant Managers are paid by the hour, so during peak Halloween season, there is the potential to earn a lot of overtime pay. The job is not rocket science. All management positions will do basically the same thing.

Cons

Payroll operating budget is extremely flimsy since going public on the stock market. Managers will usually blow up balloons or ring a cash register on Saturdays throughout the year until the budget increases during the Halloween season. There is not much room for merchandising freedom. The merchandising is usually planned by the corporate office or the district manager. Planograms are constantly changing, often due to flaws in the planogram design that are noticed after implementation.

Advice to Management

Make a plan and work the plan! There is too much wishy-washy changing of the game plan. It almost seems as if the corporate team is saying, "let's try this and see how it goes, then if it doesn't work out we'll change it a week later."

"It's an overworked Party!"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in South Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in South Burlington, VT

I have been working at Party City full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you love helping to put on almost every aspect of a party, talking to great customers and enjoying the camaraderie of your co-workers this is the place for you.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid staff. Pay your staff to get some quality help or add some help so the existing help can get some of the tough workload completed

Advice to Management

Add staff! The larger the store the more help needed (square footage should also determine how many hours a store should get).