Party City Reviews in Beavercreek, OH | Glassdoor

Beavercreek, OH

Party City CEO Jerry Rittenberg
Jerry Rittenberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Worked at Party City for almost 6 years and lived through many hellish halloweens but overall it was a lot of fun to work here (in 32 reviews)

• Fun environment, tasks are repetitive, but not necessarily boring (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • Even tho I was paid above minimum wage, supervisors don't get paid extra (in 75 reviews)

• low pay increase for hourly associates (in 60 reviews)

"Alright at first but soured quickly"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Beavercreek, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Beavercreek, OH

I worked at Party City part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Needed you to work a lot of hours
    Really nice people to work with
    Get to work with kids who enjoy finding out you know stuff
    Balloons were probably the best thing to do ever

Cons

Stated "competitive wages" but was at minimum wage
    Only trained for about 20 minutes before left on my own to find my way around the store
    Everyone who works in a sales associate position is in high school

Advice to Management

Focus less on getting emails and more on providing what the customers want. Also, acting managers need to understand this is extra money for a lot of people and not a full time job.

"Nice first job"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Beavercreek, OH
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Beavercreek, OH

I have been working at Party City part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The management and team leads are pretty good. The general manager, Bryce, is a great guy, the assistant manager, Diane, can be harsh sometimes, but she is a good worker. The three team leads are fairly good employees as well. I started working at Party City as a Halloween temp, but kept my job afterward due to my good work ethic. The duties as a sales associate are extremely easy. They range anywhere from recovery (making the items on the planograms neat), to unpacking boxes of materials and putting them on the shelves, to doing planograms, stocking candy, blowing up balloons, taking phone calls, or ringing a customer up on the register. It's very easy work, though it can get stressful at times.

Cons

Some of the things I have noticed that don't seem to change (I've been employed for just over four months) is the terrible customers that come into this place, which isn't at the fault of Party City. It's just that the everyday consumer is horrible and they are usually extremely ignorant and expect the world out of the young employees.

Another thing that is very unfortunate is the hours you get. Party City is a company that makes $18 billion a year, so they are going to try to give the least amount of hours possible to their employees by cutting corners. My hours per week are typically 10-15, usually in the middle at 13.5. The only way to make more money is to hope a coworker needs a shift covered.

The company has a strict Phone-and-Email policy. Party City expects each employee to obtain emails from at least 30% of the customers that each employee rings up in their time at the register for each shift, as well as phone numbers. You are punished and written up if you do not meet the company standards, and three write-ups result in you losing your job. In my four months here, I've done my best possible and have gotten my 30% almost every time I'm on register and have yet to be written up. But it just isn't very fun to have to spend time asking every single customer for their phone number and email and also dealing with sassy comments from customers explaining that they get "too many emails" or "don't want spam phone calls", even though I can assure you that Party City has no interest in any way, shape, or form to call you OR sell your number as my own number and email as well as two close friends, my own mom and sister are all also in the system and do not receive harassing calls (though the coupons are fairly scarce as well). You also can be written up for being forced to void transactions, which is at the customers consent! Yes! You read that right: employees are punished for having to remove items from the POS system if a customer decides last minute that they would not like the item. Ridiculous.

You get a raise every year, usually of about ten cents apparently.

The last bad thing about Party City is the employee benefits. They do NOT want you to get vacation time! Period. They do not want you to mess up the schedule, and offer "Request Off" slips, which take about two-three minutes to fill out, and then the management promptly throws them away, so it's just no use. You WILL get written up for not showing up for your shift and calling off after a certain amount of times. But they are good at working your schedule around your life.

So to sum it up:
    -Bad customers
    -Poor hours (all retail jobs offer fairly poor hours)
    -Asking customers for phone numbers and emails and being punished if you don't receive a certain amount
    -Crappy yearly "raise"
    -No vacation time

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. They are all very friendly (as friendly as they can be for being in contact with the horrendous customers they deal with for hours on end).

Showing 2 of 1,165 reviews