Party City Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jerry Rittenberg

1,084 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Worked at Party City for almost 6 years and lived through many hellish halloweens but overall it was a lot of fun to work here (in 30 reviews)

• fun environment and never had a problem with other employees (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • Stay on minimum wage unless promoted (in 72 reviews)

• Low pay for management positions compared to competitors (in 58 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Rochester, NY

I worked at Party City part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You make people day, you let them leave with what they came for or something similar , dressing up in costumes , watching the customers have fun finding their party items

Cons

Never had any problems at all , I was there such short period but it was fun.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work !

2. "Regional Asset protection Manager"

Former Employee - AP Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - AP Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Party City full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits - decent salary

Cons

unrealistic expectations - arrogant boss

Advice to Management

n/a

3. "Sales associate/cashier/balloons"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at Party City part-time

Pros

A close knit group of people
    In my experience, the managers cares about your personal/school life.
    You have a say on some things if you're one of the good workers.

Cons

Some employees does more than the other
    If your an all around person, like I was, they depend on you more.
    There's favoritism
    Sometimes, employees can get aggressive with you

Advice to Management

Hire more good employees and actually take the time to train them properly

4. "Meh."

Current Employee - Keyholder in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Keyholder in New York, NY

I have been working at Party City part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot in my one year of retail. Coworkers are pretty much the only reason I still go to work. Feels nice helping a customer out and receiving a genuinely thankful reaction.

Cons

It's all very sporadic, no general idea of what your schedule will be until just before the week starts. Upper management definitely doesn't care about employees, but who does?

5. "Okay"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at Party City part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sense of family. You really start to
    Foster a bond with your co workers , you need that at work

Cons

Pay , hours , poor management. Bigger stores have multiple managers and it's just extremely unorganized when so many people are " in charge "

Advice to Management

Be more organized and more open to sales associate opinions

6. "Disorganized Mess"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in East Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in East Hartford, CT

I worked at Party City part-time

Pros

It is an interesting place to work--it's a different kind of retail store. And the employee discounts are fantastic.

Cons

There are too many managers, and each have their own way of doing things. The store manager where I worked managed based on her motion for that second. She was unfamiliar with company policies and would often make them up as she went along; that was problem because her "policy" would change from day to day and mood to mood.

Advice to Management

Ease up on the number of managers and supervisors in the store. Make sure those in charge are trained well and they retain what they are taught.

7. "Great Environment but Sometimes Unprofessional"

Former Employee - Cashier in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Cashier in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Party City part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, very upbeat atmosphere. Great employee discount. Employees greet every single customer that walks through the door. Managers are always on the floor doing the same work you're doing and never act like they're higher than you. Some managers are actually fairly young so there's obvious growth within the company.

Cons

Hours: If your availability is open, they will constantly ask you to come in during your days off which is good if you need the hours. But then you end up working 42+ hrs/week for no benefits.

Breaks: They take advantage of the fact that the employees are young and may be unaware of labor laws. When I started, none of my coworkers even knew that they were entitled to rest breaks, and I began getting mocked by management for asking for my breaks because other employees started asking for theirs too.

Lack of Supervision: When the older managers are gone for the night, the younger employees like to talk about very inappropriate things over the radio.

Asset Protection: Very unprofessional in dealing with theft. On one occasion at my location, after management and the male employees confronted a guy attempting to steal something, the guy ran for the doors. The rest of us (the female employees) were ordered to stand in front of the doors to block him. He busted through and broke the doors, and management and the male employees chased him out into the parking lot where they tackled him. You should never put your employees in danger. If someone steals from the store, let the store be the victim not your workers.

Advice to Management

Absolutely wonderful environment for young adults looking for work, but lacking in professionalism.

8. "Merchandising Specialist"

Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Miami, FL

I have been working at Party City full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do not usually receive job applications from competent or experienced individuals, resulting in easy employment. Flexible hours to some degree.

Cons

Corporate culture is the worst I have ever experienced; sexism, racism and mysoginy abounds, and incompetent people are promoted based on tenure rather than ability.

Advice to Management

This company can do so much better if they focus on identifying future leaders, and placing them in accelerated management positions.

9. "Party Supply Company"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Party City full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced work environment and no Christmas rush to contend with as at other retail. Customers are generally happy to be at the store looking to plan a party.

Cons

High expectations from corporate for presentation and performance with minimal work for and hours.

Advice to Management

Be prepared to change your plan for the day on a dime when business or the incoming freight becomes the priority. You go through 28 seasonal changes, some small and some large, fluidity is key throughout the year. Halloween is your biggest season which will spread a normal Black Friday business across the two weeks leading up to Halloween.

10. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in State College, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier in State College, PA

I worked at Party City part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy job, not much to do other than stand at the front of the store and check people out and keep the place clean in general. But for the most part it was kinda an 'eh' job.

Cons

The managers were not kind and understanding of disabilities, nobody was happy there and nobody wanted to do the work. You could work there forever and hardly get above minimum wage.

Advice to Management

improve your attitude. If you aren't in a good mood or happy to be there, the people who work for you aren't going to be happy there doing their job.

Showing 1,084 of 1,099 reviews