Party City Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 28, 2017
1,085 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,085 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Worked at Party City for almost 6 years and lived through many hellish halloweens but overall it was a lot of fun to work here (in 30 reviews)

• fun environment and never had a problem with other employees (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • Stay on minimum wage unless promoted (in 72 reviews)

• Low pay for management positions compared to competitors (in 58 reviews)

"Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Party City full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pros are very few and far between with this organization.
    Lenient with day off requests.
    No Black Friday or crazy Christmas season.

Cons

Setup is constantly changing. Corporate will give you direction one day to set an aisle and then by tomorrow or less, change their mind, resulting in doing it all over again.

Little to no payroll. You cannot operate successfully with the hours given per week. You have to write a realistic schedule and then cut and cut and cut back until you meet their forecasted hours, which are usually enough to schedule two people in the day and two at night with a manager.Good luck.Which leads to...

Irritated customers. Irritated that you are shorthanded, irritated that there is nobody on the floor, since everyone in the building, including management (if your co manager is not too lazy) is on a register or blowing balloons.They do not understand that we would love to hire more than 13 people and give them plenty of hours, and schedule accordingly, but this is all impossible with the payroll given. Which leads to....

Irritated District and Regional managers.
    Why aren't the five million things between emails and the planner not completed, they ask. See previous sections.Unrealistic expectations with the hours and tasks given by corporate.You can have the greatest crew that you can assemble, and still fall short with the terrible workload and mnimal hour support.

It has been said that this company does not like to listen to new ideas, and I have to agree with having been with them for so long.They do not seem to be willing to adapt.Adaptation is the key to business, maybe they will figure that out one year.

Lazy co-managers. If you have one of these, good luck. I had lazy GM after lazy GM, come and go, which was eventually the reason for me leaving. I guess I should thank them. If you have a lazy co management team, then you are screwed. Every manager is responsible for an area of the store, and even if your area looks solid and the lazy GMs who are never there, or never working if they are there, have a crappy section, you too will take the blame and have to eventually fix it yourself, since you are a "manager" of the store.

The raises are a joke. I have had many great reviews met with increases of .08 for one year and get this - .02 for another. Keep the change,ya filthy animal.

Advice to Management

They wont listen to any of it, but:
    Pay your employees better for what you expect.
    Stop changing the layout of the store every week.
    Give them better raises than 2 cents a year.
    Do an Undercover Boss. Let them see what it is like to operate their own messed up business.
    Increase payroll.
    Get rid of that god awful Drews Famous Music station. Are you too cheap to pay for Muzak?

2. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockaway, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockaway, NJ

I worked at Party City (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work at.

Cons

Gets really busy at times

3. "very good"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sterling Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sterling Heights, MI

Pros

nice people to work with

Cons

not bad at all overall

Advice to Management

be always yourself

4. "Shift Supervisor for 3 years"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Nashua, NH

I worked at Party City part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, great consideration for school schedule or other jobs. Friendly employees, approachable management.

Cons

It's retail. Customers can be amazing or can be difficult. Halloween has a very busy rush schedule. Not the best on-the-job training.

Advice to Management

Support the part time employees better, the full time benefits rarely overflow to the part timers.

5. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Niles, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Niles, IL

I have been working at Party City part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy work most of the time (ringing customers and stocking)

Cons

terrible pay, no pay raise, bad (even mean) management, boring/repetitive work

Advice to Management

Adjust the starting pay.

6. "seasonal worker"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in West Allis, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in West Allis, WI

I have been working at Party City (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun and exciting
    Great promotions
    Employee discount 30% off

Cons

Unorganized and messy store
    Sometimes inpatient customers
    The aisle numbers aren't in the back of the store, only in the front
    Learning where everything is

Advice to Management

Hiring a appropriate amount of adults with a balance of high school students

7. "ugh..."halloween city""

Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Niles, IL
    Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Niles, IL

I worked at Party City part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

cool products, interesting people, probably a good first job for teenagers and people who need retail experience or experience in general, if you like halloween/"fashion"/makeup and are extroverted enough to deal with extremely rude and hassling customers and other bad behavior from even your coworkers, be my guest.

Cons

it was great until it absolutely wasn't at least at my store...i worked at a pop up shop for a holiday owned by party city. my manager tried to give off the "cool" and "friendly" and "we care about you" vibe, but i found out over time that barely anyone is 100% upfront about anything, almost everyone talks behind each others backs (without telling the person directly and concisely what they're doing wrong until it's too late to fix it, i cant say i didn't partake in my fair share of behind the wall complaining), and the pay is awful for the things you have to put up with from corporate/sometimes management. i think the promotions are given in some sort of shady manner that i can't put my finger on....looking back as a seasonal worker i should have known there was something weird about being handed a promotion and then suddenly treated like crap and singled out for things, almost like they were looking for any tiny excuse to fire me, even though i worked my butt off all the time and my some of my coworkers were lazy and just wandered around the store putting things back in the wrong places and playing with the props. i guess i shouldn't have mentioned wanting to be hired as permanent. they also started to treat me this way after i had to call off for three days because of family and illness. weird.
    i had my flaws as a worker but working here is just Yikes.
    also this is a smaller thing, but my boss literally said "there's no stupid questions!" so i started to ask questions so i wouldn't get things wrong. almost every time i asked a question, i got looked at like i was annoying him and wasting his time, haha, okay!
    there's probably so many other better jobs that pay as much or better than this one where maybe you'll have to deal with the same annoying retail stuff but with better work conditions, at least in my experience.

Advice to Management

stop ignoring your associates, fire the people who don't work and keep the people who actually do. stop playing favorites/giving extra leniency with certain AMs and associates

8. "District Manager"

Former Employee - District Manager in Guaynabo, PR
    Former Employee - District Manager in Guaynabo, PR

I worked at Party City full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Versatile, always been busy, good ambient.

Cons

I want to keep growing

9. "Mismanaged........."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

Very physical job. I loved the personal accountability for data integrity. Terrible manager. This guy will go down as the worst leadership I've ever known in a big box store.

Cons

Let me illuminate for you. A hand truck is a fairly basic piece of equipment. Especially when you're going to have to break down 13 pallets with about 17 cartons per pallet. No way man. We're all men here, we're going to pick them up and move them like 4 or 5 times.

Management claimed the hand truck was on the way............

No hand truck. That's okay ,I get paid hourly and would rather spend 1.5 hours doing something that should take 15 minutes.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring managers that make passes at coworkers and colleagues.

10. "It's okay"

Current Employee - Halloween Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Halloween Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Party City part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun to work very colorful energetic friendly environment independent sometimes friendly customers

Cons

Minimum wage for Long hours short pay sometimes rude customers stand on feet to Long

Advice to Management

This job is just good for part time or teenagers looking to start work if you looking to get a house or apartment or anything this ain't it. Go to college and get something better at least.

Showing 1,085 of 1,100 reviews