Pason Systems Reviews in Canada | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Pason Systems President & CEO Marcel Kessler
Marcel Kessler

Pros
  • Truly supported you have work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Pason provides great benefits and and amenities to promote wellness (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • They're revenue is tied to the oil and gas industry (in 9 reviews)

• Right to challenge" is a right to get shot at by middle-management most times, though the highest levels really do believe in it (in 5 reviews)

1. "Contractor"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Pason Systems as a contractor

Pros

Allowed me to work remotely. Relaxed (yet professional) atmosphere at work. Great team feeling (parties, BBQs, etc.) I felt that I had control over my own projects. I was able to work on a variety of projects, which was nice.

Cons

The biggest downside for me was salary, which was not what I expected or in my opinion, exactly what you would call market-competitive. There was a bit of a feeling of insiders (ie: upper management, ie: those who were making a killing off of stock) and outsiders (ie:, regular employees, ie: the people doing the actual work). There was some amount of indifference to the plight of people trying to make a living as opposed to make a killing.

Advice to Management

I would say, try this thought experiment: set aside your stock portfolio and take a few zeroes off your paycheque and see what it is like to live like the people you hire. I am sure that some key people made a pretty good living, but the rest of us didn't benefit when the times where good and we were the first to get hurt when the times got tough.

"As of now, look somewhere else"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Pason Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vacations and sick days were a nice perk.

Cons

Management thinks everything is fine while they slap each other on the back and give high fives. Reality is that the people that do the work are overlooked in the bigger scheme of things. No real chance to advance to a higher position.

Advice to Management

Get rid of 2/3's of management and hire some people with real oil/gas experience.

"No Comments ???"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Pason Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Occasional free lunch and onsite gym. Flexible work hours.

Cons

No overtime. You could get laid off at any time. I have seen a director and few managers lost their job within 6 months of my work life at Pason systems, then I got laid off. Management have no idea or direction in how to keep the projects running. All the time you sense the feeling of job loss. We end up in endless meetings and less time to work. Then we end up going in circle without getting achieved anything at the end. No chance of going higher level in your career. If you are looking for a stable job and career growth then this might not be a better place.

Advice to Management

If you are not sure whether you need staff, then stop hiring. It affects families and their future. Our life is not a play toy for you.

"Terrible leadership from top to bottom. But mostly at the top."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Pason Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of autonomy because there is no accountability! You can do what you want when you want and so long as you are friendly with senior leaders you can be as terrible as you want to your co-workers and produce nothing of consequence while remaining employed!

So if you do the bare minimum to keep friendly with the person you report to and you don't care about career opportunities and you are ok just kind of existing and going through the motions and getting paid, this is a great place to work! People arbitrarily make problems much more difficult than they actually are. So if you're a smart person, it's not a challenging place to work technically.

If you do get hired, you keep a low profile and incompetence doesn't bother you, it's a great place to work while doing side jobs/contracting and also interviewing to get a better job.

Cons

The leadership team is terrible and there is no accountability at all. I've overheard leaders telling well-liked people on their team "What do we need to do to make you leave?" because they dared to suggest different (better) ways of doing things that ran contrary to that persons personal desires... Even in cases where the suggested route was objectively and measurably superior.

There is a lot of talk about "the right to challenge" but it is completely hollow. If you make serious enough challenges, with data and case studies/etc, senior leaders will tell you to stop being difficult and stop asking questions while in the next breath telling people about how great the right to challenge is. Eventually they simply stop including you if they don't like your ideas, even when others tell them your ideas are good and merrit serious consideration.

This pattern extends from the top of the company to the bottom of the company. For a research and development/technology driven company, it is terrible because contradictory data is ignored.

The CFO likes to think he is a CTO and knows about modern cloud based software technologies. He will argue with experts and will insist even when he is completely wrong. All of the senior leaders and members of the board have similar issues of knowing too much with too little depth and not trusting the smart people they hire.

Finally, people are polite but extremely passive aggressive and they hold grudges.

Advice to Management

The CEO is an alright guy, but the CFO is a jerk with an over-inflated sense of self-importance.

Get a CTO that actually knows modern technology and empower him. For a company whose corporate slogan is "Technology deployed Simply" not to have a CTO is a farce. Also, the guy running their new ventures like to pretened he knows about everything. They hire really smart people but then completely ignore their advice about their subject matter of expertise.

The only reason this company is alive is because their competitors are so much worse. Also there is no performance review process at all. There is no feedback about performance going in any direction. How do you know how you are doing without feedback? I suppose magic...

5. "Pason New Employee"

Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Pason Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When times are good, typical oil and gas culture with opportunities and compensation abound. Focus on safety with office crew required to adhere to safety procedures, and be aware of several safety aspect even though it may not be relevant to them but to other areas of the company.

Cons

When oil and gas retracts, direct impacts of oil price on rigs means rig technology is no longer needed. Pason suffers the direct impact, cutbacks, and those that survive layoffs see bonus and raises reduced.

Advice to Management

Training could be made to focus on the scope of what is expected; also, there seems to be a fair bit of disorganization when it came to onboarding

6. "Great company, in a not-so-great industry"

Former Employee - Intern in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Intern in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

I had an amazing internship her, got to work on really interesting and exciting projects.
    People are amazing, very friendly, and extremely intelligent.
    Lots of BBQ's in the summer, as well as many activities during lunch such as ice hockey, ball hockey, yoga, foosball. There's something for everyone.
    Although there were lay-offs interns were not affected.
    During the layoffs due to oil and gas activity, people were cut at all levels of the company, including upper management, and upper management received large pay cuts. It was tough to go through layoffs, and I respected that upper management went through them with us.

Cons

They're revenue is tied to the oil and gas industry. They do a fairly good job of saving during the good times and continuing to invest in R&D when prices are down. With that said with oil being the way it is, there were many layoffs during my internship and it was hard to see many of my good friends go.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are, and Pason will come out strong when oil and gas prices come back.
    Great work, and thanks for creating and sustaining the amazing culture that is at Pason

7. "My 5 yrs. at Pason were great!"

Former Employee - Intermediate Technical Writer in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Intermediate Technical Writer in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Pason Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great work environment over the 5 yrs I was there, decent compensation, flexible hours (work/life balance was important), lots of perks, the work was steady and required only minimal overtime spent. They value a bottom up work environment, and focus on the customer is the priority.

Cons

a bit less pay than your typical oil company, culture has suffered a bit after recession layoffs.

Advice to Management

none

8. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

Great benefits
    Fair Pay
    Good atmosphere and culture
    Freedom to challenge

Cons

More susceptible to then down turn then was projected to the employees until just over a year into the down turn.

Advice to Management

Continue allowing yourself to be challenged and trust your employees to make the right decisions.

Make educated well thought out changes instead of changes for the sake of trying something new.

9. "Mixed Feelings"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Pason Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I got the job, I thought that I was in heaven because the culture had everything that I believed a company should be! They promote a "fun" work environment, have great morale items like ping pong, a gym and barbecues.

Cons

The company policy is to not give references, regardless of why you aren't with the company any more. Regardless of your tenure with a company, this is damaging for your next job hunts! They also do not give explanations for terminations, which is difficult to understand what you can do to improve moving forwards.
    They tend to promote employees into management positions without ensuring that they are capable and informed on how to properly manage people, or relinquish the responsibilities of their previous role. This sets their subordinates up for failure and an unfortunate experience with the company.

Advice to Management

Put more resources into supporting and strengthening the parts of your organization that you preach!

10. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Pason Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

A good culture relatively free from bad politics. Lots of opportunities on site for fitness and sports. Fair compensation.

Cons

Little room for advancement and the processes were sometimes stronger than they needed to be. Adoption of new technologies was slow for a technology company.

Advice to Management

For all the talk about the inverted management structure, decision are still ultimately made from the top down.