Patagonia Reviews

4.1
Patagonia President and CEO Rose Marcario
Rose Marcario
Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay/compensation for retail workers(in 15 reviews)

• "Most managers are burnt out after working long hours without appropriate compensation(in 7 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Gear Repair Specialist

I worked at Patagonia full-time

Pros

Amazing benefits, great coworkers and culture

Cons

The usual corporate nonsense despite a culture that claims to be above it

"Good job, but full of "cool kids""

Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Reno, NV

I have been working at Patagonia part-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are amazing, that's the reason I stay! Their mission of saving the home planet is well intentioned

Cons

The Reno customer service department is full of cliques, and unless you're young you will not be recognized for the years of experience you may have. Unfortunately, upper management is blind to this and HR is not responsive whatsoever.

3. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Patagonia full-time for more than a year

Pros

great company with a great cause.

Cons

communication from the top can we frustrating at times

4. "Values and Transparency"

4.0
    Current Employee - Production

I have been working at Patagonia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This company is what is says it is and I do not feel like just a number. I am always motivated to do my best, feeling like the work we do truly makes a difference. I always feel I go to work with purpose and direction.

Cons

The pay is difficult to live on, however the positives outweigh this slight inconvenience. With all the gracious benefits we do have, it's taught to complain about this.

5. COVID-19

"Don’t get fleeced. All the great things you read about Patagonia don’t exist at the retail level."

1.0
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader in New York, NY

I have been working at Patagonia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- 70% off employee discount. Yes, 70% off all Patagonia products! - employer paid health insurance (albeit a terrible plan) - free PUPs (Previously Used Product aka any returned items from customers that can’t be resold) - paid time to volunteer for environmental non-profits - company match for 401k of 50% up the first 5% of you salary. So, if you make $25k per year, and you contribute $1250 to get the full employer match, the company will give you a whopping $625 for the year - this job only makes sense if you either want the 70% off employee discount or if you’re looking for part time work

Cons

- company is starved of competent management in the NYC/CT district - pay for sales associates is minimum wage ($15/hour), or about $26k/year for full time hours. Team leads get about a $1 more per hour. So working in NYC, one of the most expensive cities in the world, you’d be lucky to crack $30k for the year. Assistant Store Managers make around $48k per year. Some General Managers make over $100k. - you sometimes will get your weekly schedules with only 3 days notice, despite state requirement of 2 weeks notice - if management schedules you for your usual days off when you have class or an exam, it’s up to you to find coverage - company policy states that no managers can write you a letter of recommendation - nepotism runs deep and hiring and promotions are based on popularity contests with management, nothing to do with merit or qualifications - diversity at the management level is non-existent and POC staff feel the effects of this - salary is also determined by how chummy you are with management, not skill - retail staff is expected to bend over backwards for all customers, right or wrong. This means associates MUST accept ANY and ALL returns, despite the garments age (could be one month old, could be 15 years old, could be dirty boxers). Over time, you realize that this is both terrible for morale & terrible for the environment. Handing out free new jackets to anyone that comes in with an old one, is unpleasant for the sales associate and for Mother Earth - You must request time off 3 weeks in advance and management is very slow to approve PTO. So good luck if you want to book a flight, as prices will likely jump up at least $100 before you get approved to go anywhere. - no career advancement opportunities. You are expected to “stay in your lane” and keep the store clean and customers happy. Don’t expect to get any exposure to corporate employees or opportunities - management expects employees to break their backs, but for no rewards or recognition. Some stores will reward their employees during the grueling holiday season with bagged popcorn and cookies in the break room. - management will ask staff to essentially profile customers when they suspect criminal activity - bullying is often not taken seriously by management unless it suits their agenda - you will generally not have any access to HR, as things are ran on a store by store basis by the managers - management does not care about the growth of employees since everyone is minimum wage/replaceable in their minds. - the “cool” culture that you’d read about in Let My People Go Surfing does not exist at the retail level. You can’t just leave your shift in the middle of the afternoon to go to the beach. There is no employer provided child care options for employees with kids - being retail, most employees (with the exception of store managers) are furloughed right now with the pandemic going on - the stores are effectively return centers for the online channel

Continue reading
  6. "Just a normal retail job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Patagonia part-time

Pros

fun working environment, flexible schedule

Cons

nothing special about this job

7. "SO FUN"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Patagonia part-time

Pros

Great community, product, company, and environmental programs.

Cons

A little less than average sales associate pay.

"Hated it"

2.0
    Former Employee - Key Holder in New York, NY

I worked at Patagonia full-time for less than a year

Pros

liked most of the people that worked there

Cons

managers talked bad about you behind your back, no room for growth, pledge to be an amazing company but don’t care about their own employees

Continue reading
  9. "The greatest crew to work with"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Patagonia full-time for more than a year

Pros

incredible work place culture, full benefits

Cons

will need to work a second job to make a living in Santa Cruz.

10. "Lives up to the hype"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Patagonia full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible, family-vibe, really laid back and compassionate workplace

Cons

Strange management structure, often doing more work than needed

Found 214 reviews