Patelco Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Erin Mendez

Pros
Cons
  • upper management who doesn't have a workflow; seriously behind on technology; no cohesiveness (in 8 reviews)

• Branches, departments and the call center is extremely understaffed and employees are forced to work odd schedules with no consistency (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to be a part of."

Current Employee - Some Guy In IT in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Some Guy In IT in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Patelco Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the reasons why I enjoy working at Patelco so much is the people that are hired. For the most part, they know their jobs and do it. And they do it well.
    The benefits are some of the best I've had. Up to 8% 401k contribution, low cost medical, a competitive PTO package, a bonus program you can definitely smile at, and generous discounts on certain loans products. I have taken advantage of all the above.
    Erin - our CEO - is active in bettering the work place for us and making sure we remain strong in our industry.
    The pay is great.

Cons

Lack of communication for some things.

One thing I want to note - Patelco isn't for everyone. Just like Google, Apple, and other great companies aren't for everyone. You can't please everyone. I encourage anyone looking into possibly starting a career here to not be turned off by some of the negative comments. I assure you they are NOT the sentiment of most of us.

Advice to Management

If there are some employees who are so unhappy with their job you should reach out to them and find out what's causing it. This can really bring down the morale at any location.

Apr 4, 2016 – Communications Specialist

Thank you for your honesty and taking the time to share your experience as an IT professional at Patelco. We are always interested in improving communication to our team members and hope you will ... More

2. "Good Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Patelco Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Patelco offers great benefits....there is a long list...from medical to wardrobe loans with no interest...they match up to 5% to your 401K on top of the automatic 3%. For the last 3 years I have been here, I received a annual bonus and pay increase. If you work hard, you are easily promoted if you apply. They do a lot of reach out to the community, we have our own sports complex. I work for a great team in our corporate office....with a great Manager and VP.

Cons

1. I hate the commute to work but that is my personal con, doesn't have anything to do with the company.
    2. Wish we had Jean Friday back.
    3. There are system issues.

Like every company Not just Patelco there are issues....not going to complain or give them away... you will have to find out for yourself. :-)

Advice to Management

My advice to management.....be fair...be open to new ideas from the smaller people who do the work everyday. Recognize your people more in your departments....give STAR points and awards. Delegate....don't take on more than your case load can handle. Make more timely decisions....

3. "Great Place of Work"

I have been working at Patelco Credit Union full-time

Pros

Many opportunities for growth, good training program, great people to work with.

Cons

PTO is lower than most organizations I've worked for.

5. "Salary"

I worked at Patelco Credit Union part-time (More than a year)

Pros

salary is 15.00 per hour

Cons

Pretty good, if you like to deal with money and finance

6. "A good employer!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Patelco Credit Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, bonuses, social atmosphere, genuinely cares about members.

Cons

Outdated systems, IT needs overhaul, needs excellent developers.

Advice to Management

Utilize legacy employees as mentors to new hires across the organization. Recognize solidly good employees. Weed out those who have bad attitude.

"GOOD FOR STARTER JOB"

I worked at Patelco Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PAY, 401k plan, benefits for both full time and part time, bonus for holidays

Cons

Not enough training, need to have pto time if you are sick and have not pto then you'd get written up

Advice to Management

START PROPERLY TRAINING YOUR EMPLOYEES DO NOT EXPECT THE PROPER RESULTS IF YOU DON'T! SITTING NEXT TO MULTIPLE PEOPLE FOR A WEEK IS NOT CONSIDERED PROPER

"Opportunity for"

I worked at Patelco Credit Union full-time

Pros

Patelco provided a lot of great benefits and an almost unbeatable 401k employer match. The dedication and passion for members are top priority. Employees are genuine people who are committed to their members.

Cons

Unfortunately with a larger company, technology for use by the employees tend to be lacking. Outdated systems are utilized for the majority of the staff. Management pushed job duties to their subordinates, and failed to take accountability in different areas. It provided some opportunities, however it does not have a clear path for growth.

Advice to Management

Focus on the branches, they are the faces of your credit union. Improvements are needed in the call center and heavy training would make the representatives more confident, which could prevent the turnover problem.

Jan 26, 2017 – Communications Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective as a team member of Patelco. We are committed to the well-being of our members and our team and are happy to hear you experienced this as a ... More

"No Stress But No Growth"

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Campbell, CA

I worked at Patelco Credit Union part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Patelco is easygoing. Great place to work if you want to get a taste of the credit union or banking world without the extreme sales mentality that other banks or credit unions can have. They are very member focused and they do offer some incentives. Sunday are always off and Saturdays are normally done by 2 or 3pm. They also have one hell of a holiday party :)

Cons

Benefits, although I believe it has changed, they did not offer part-time employees any benefits. Their benefits packages in general were not great anyway. There's very little room for growth and there is a clear disconnect between corporates non-sales mentality and regional manages enforcement of sales goals. Staffing issues and low pay have always made it difficult for moral or employee engagement.

Advice to Management

Communication is key and you can't have your CEO say one thing and Regionals say another. Pay better and retain your staff. Get a grasp of what credit unions are paying in your area and compensate for any lapse in wages.

Nov 17, 2016 – Communications Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re happy to hear you enjoyed the holiday party! We pride ourselves on focusing on people – especially our members and employees (team ... More

""Chose a job you love, and you will.nevet have to work a day in your life"."

Current Employee - Analyst in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Patelco Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are too many to list! Patelco is a member and employee centric company. The culture is unique- it's based on integrity and member advocacy. You will understand Patelco's vision and it's easy to buy into.

Patelco believes in people helping people; they have a huge presence in the community and focus on educating the public regarding financial literacy. To say that Patelco is active in the communities they serve is an understatement. Employees are able to donate time and Patelco donates money to various local charities all- of which employees are heavily involved in. A welcomed change from most companies I've worked for.

When you work at Patelco, you feel like you're at "home". In fact, I used to work for Patelco and ten years later I found myself longing to return! I'm so happy to be "home" again!

If you're passionate about helping people and want to be a part of a movement towards positivity and change in the financial industry, Patelco is the right place for you. If you want to feel like you're valued and more than a number, come work for Patelco. It's a decision you will never regret!

Cons

My commute is not the best, non of which the company is to blame. It might be nice if there were a van pool!

"VP and below"

I worked at Patelco Credit Union full-time

Pros

People VP and below are really nice, caring, helpful, and generally care about the customer/members. Great team.

Cons

Upper management has a different profile

Advice to Management

Company will never be a best place to work when philosophy is to pay average compensation and yet expect top grade work. Practice what you preach