Pathway Genomics Reviews | Glassdoor

Pathway Genomics CEO Vadim Shulman
Vadim Shulman
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I would say the free lunch, but the intent of the" (in 16 reviews)

• "Upper management seemed supportive, in fact they would stop to shat or high five you when you closed a great deal" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "The commissions are never accurate and there is no one that can explain commission reports to the reps" (in 4 reviews)

• "CSO was recently fired and there is no direction from upper management so many CLS lab personnel have left or they are looking" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for and team to work with"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Pathway Genomics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, engaging projects, a lot of autonomy to and freedom to work on meaningful projects and make an impact, upper management and executives are very supportive and make themselves available to give feedback, awesome team you get to work alongside very smart and fun people.

Cons

because the company moves so fast, sometimes you wish you had a little more time to really polish something - but on the other hand it means you get to ship your work more often which is rewarding. also because the company moves fast, sometimes it feels like you're jumping from one project to the next, but again if you enjoy the fast-paced startup-esque culture this can make the job more fun and stimulating.

Advice to Management

keeping hiring smart people and letting them lean in and do great work, give more updates and transparency with the business

Pathway Genomics Response

Aug 3, 2017 – Pathway Genomics Team

Thank you for your feedback. We are thrilled you enjoy working at Pathway and find the culture, projects and support meaningful.
    Pathway continues to move forward because of the dedication and... More

"Horrible Experience"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in San Diego, CA

I worked at Pathway Genomics (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company could be used in all business courses across America for "How NOT to run a business."

I also learned to pay attention to your gut. When you ask why the company never discusses revenue after your second week of work, and the CBO can't answer that question- that is a red flag.

Cons

This company hires dozens of experienced sales reps from great jobs to come to Pathway just to get fired two months later. No warning, no severance.
    It's been this way for years.

Pathway picks off employees like its a game. If you come here, you will eventually be a target.

The commissions are never accurate and there is no one that can explain commission reports to the reps. No one understands the process.
    This is a company where they don't hesitate to harass and humiliate employees. Reps are cheated out of $thousands in commission.

Pathway is now reducing salaries of folks who have been on board for years. We're talking- $30,000 paycuts.

You decide- is this the company for you?

Advice to Management

Learn how to run this business. There is no one in charge who understands the business, yet you have a half dozen folks with no true business experience trying to play 'Boss'.
    Hire a leader for this company. More time is spent on gossip and current employees wanting promotions and new titles than is spent on discussing business.
    You might make more $$ pitching Pathway to a reality tv show at this point.
    No one is taking it seriously anymore.

I believe the truth will come out one day, and everything will be exposed.

"much better"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Pathway Genomics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

getting rid of old management, CBO, CEO was the best thing ever

Cons

none now. company should thrive

4. "Continued growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Pathway Genomics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good coworkers and supervisors. I was a little concerned when I started here after all the reviews but was pleasantly surprised. Employees treated well and it is a pleasant place to work. Recent New management changes seem to have energized the company.

Cons

Still some growing pains as always with a growing company. Engineering working hard to compensate for the short comings

Advice to Management

Keep hiring the needed staff to fill the teams needs

5. "Big Changes!"

I have been working at Pathway Genomics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Future looks much more promising with new leadership, clear vision, hiring, support, opportunity.

Cons

We are short staffed in many areas and still have some dysfunction in a couple key departments

Advice to Management

Hold all departments accountable. We cannot afford to allow some personnel to fall short (fail) or refuse to execute their job responsibilities.
    Hire necessary people and support and reward your valuable employees.

6. "New management, new possibilities."

Current Employee - Operations in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Pathway Genomics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working hours, dress code, free snacks, exciting new projects, everyone still here is top notch and ready to move forward. Previous upper management folks are gone and the new management is eager to perform and establish culture and purpose. Personally, I only see good things to come.

Cons

Lot of bad history to overcome, and with that, a great challenge ahead. Everyone is committed and the future looks bright.

Advice to Management

They already know what to do (and not do).

"Worst Professional Decision of my Entire Career - What was I Thinking?"

I worked at Pathway Genomics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would say the free lunch, but the intent of the free lunch is to "Encourage" employees to stay in the office and work through the break. There were some decent people there - I feel sorry for them.

Cons

I can not echo the sentiments about the CBO enough. It is absolutely beyond me how the CEO has allowed her reign of terror to go on. He is basically an absentee CEO who allows a totally under qualified AA to act as the de facto manager of a biotech company! I can not tell you about the feeling of dread that I felt in the pit of my stomach less than 2 months after starting work there, when I realized that I had to immediately start interviewing again in order to salvage the colossal mistake that I had made. It was hostile, totally demotivating, and there was zero visibility into how the company was performing - probably because of improper billing procedures that eventually led to a qui tam lawsuit and subsequent $4.1 million award with the standard % to the whistle blower - probably a few people that wish they would have been the one to say something! The tests have zero clinical utility - I specifically recall one physician stating that the tests had no value in clinical decision making! Add to that the indiscriminate hiring and firing of sales reps who are given about 2 months to "Sell Something" or be fired and you get a pretty clear picture of what this company is all about. The only time that anyone should ever consider going to work there would be if you were out of work, desperate, and about to be thrown out on the street.

Advice to Management

I sincerely hope that you act on some of these reviews and get rid of the glorified secretary that you call a CBO and create some tests that have clinical utility. Frankly, I'm surprised that Pathway is still in business.

"Is the General running the company now"

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Pathway Genomics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pro was getting laid off in Feb. I just heard the CEO CBO CFO and two GCs are gone. Is the General running the company? How is the sales leader still there? He laid me off but yet accounting told us he has never received a commission because numbers are so poor.

Cons

Company was supposed to go public and didn't.

Advice to Management

I don't think you can give advice to someone if they don't exist. Maybe I can email the General.

"This place is terrible terrible"

I worked at Pathway Genomics full-time

Pros

There are now good reasons to work for this company

Cons

They will fire people at the drop of a hat

Advice to Management

don't tell people things about billing process that are false

"Beware of incompetence"

Former Employee - Marketing in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Diego, CA

I worked at Pathway Genomics (Less than a year)

Pros

A few good empathetic individuals, free sodas, good location and flexible lunch hours. Nothing else to come up with. I need 20 words and it's hard to come up with, says everything.

Cons

Poor management, incompetent CBO that has no clue of marketing ins- and outs. Like-minded inferior servants running the same show. No knowledge or respect for competence. Talk to a wall and you ll get a better response, don't expect any mentorship, good advices or high level of learning. You will be the one doing that without any monetary or substantial compensation.

Advice to Management

"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure." Colin Powell....that last part is a tough one. It's too real.

Pathway Genomics Response

Aug 3, 2017 – Pathway Genomics Team

Thank you for your feedback. We value your input and agree there are no secrets to success. We continue to work hard to develop and promote our products in the genomic market.