Pathway Genomics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.1
James Plante

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I would say the free lunch, but the intent of the (in 16 reviews)

• Company produces great tests, benefits are great, less free food than before but hey its free so not complaining about free stuff (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • CSO was recently fired and there is no direction from upper management so many CLS lab personnel have left or they are looking (in 4 reviews)

• In engineering, they'd fire a guy, then he'd be back a couple weeks later once it was learned that no one else knew that person's discipline (in 3 reviews)

1. "Continued growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Pathway Genomics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good coworkers and supervisors. I was a little concerned when I started here after all the reviews but was pleasantly surprised. Employees treated well and it is a pleasant place to work. Recent New management changes seem to have energized the company.

Cons

Still some growing pains as always with a growing company. Engineering working hard to compensate for the short comings

Advice to Management

Keep hiring the needed staff to fill the teams needs

2. "Big Changes!"

I have been working at Pathway Genomics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Future looks much more promising with new leadership, clear vision, hiring, support, opportunity.

Cons

We are short staffed in many areas and still have some dysfunction in a couple key departments

Advice to Management

Hold all departments accountable. We cannot afford to allow some personnel to fall short (fail) or refuse to execute their job responsibilities.
    Hire necessary people and support and reward your valuable employees.

3. "Together We Achieve More!"

I have been working at Pathway Genomics full-time

Pros

Recently Pathway experienced significant management changes. We are now encouraged to work collaboratively instead of in isolation of other departments. My coworkers are excited to work together towards projects previously ignored or not supported. We now feel like we have a voice. We like what is happening and can’t wait to see what the future holds.

Cons

Previous reviews focused on former management will take a while to stop working against the company.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to all the talented, dedicated people who have so much to offer.
    Hopefully employees who believe Pathway has improved will voice their opinion.

4. "New management, new possibilities."

Current Employee - Operations in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Pathway Genomics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working hours, dress code, free snacks, exciting new projects, everyone still here is top notch and ready to move forward. Previous upper management folks are gone and the new management is eager to perform and establish culture and purpose. Personally, I only see good things to come.

Cons

Lot of bad history to overcome, and with that, a great challenge ahead. Everyone is committed and the future looks bright.

Advice to Management

They already know what to do (and not do).

"Worst Professional Decision of my Entire Career - What was I Thinking?"

I worked at Pathway Genomics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would say the free lunch, but the intent of the free lunch is to "Encourage" employees to stay in the office and work through the break. There were some decent people there - I feel sorry for them.

Cons

I can not echo the sentiments about the CBO enough. It is absolutely beyond me how the CEO has allowed her reign of terror to go on. He is basically an absentee CEO who allows a totally under qualified AA to act as the de facto manager of a biotech company! I can not tell you about the feeling of dread that I felt in the pit of my stomach less than 2 months after starting work there, when I realized that I had to immediately start interviewing again in order to salvage the colossal mistake that I had made. It was hostile, totally demotivating, and there was zero visibility into how the company was performing - probably because of improper billing procedures that eventually led to a qui tam lawsuit and subsequent $4.1 million award with the standard % to the whistle blower - probably a few people that wish they would have been the one to say something! The tests have zero clinical utility - I specifically recall one physician stating that the tests had no value in clinical decision making! Add to that the indiscriminate hiring and firing of sales reps who are given about 2 months to "Sell Something" or be fired and you get a pretty clear picture of what this company is all about. The only time that anyone should ever consider going to work there would be if you were out of work, desperate, and about to be thrown out on the street.

Advice to Management

I sincerely hope that you act on some of these reviews and get rid of the glorified secretary that you call a CBO and create some tests that have clinical utility. Frankly, I'm surprised that Pathway is still in business.

"Is the General running the company now"

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Pathway Genomics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pro was getting laid off in Feb. I just heard the CEO CBO CFO and two GCs are gone. Is the General running the company? How is the sales leader still there? He laid me off but yet accounting told us he has never received a commission because numbers are so poor.

Cons

Company was supposed to go public and didn't.

Advice to Management

I don't think you can give advice to someone if they don't exist. Maybe I can email the General.

"This place is terrible terrible"

I worked at Pathway Genomics full-time

Pros

There are now good reasons to work for this company

Cons

They will fire people at the drop of a hat

Advice to Management

don't tell people things about billing process that are false

"Beware of incompetence"

Former Employee - Marketing in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Diego, CA

I worked at Pathway Genomics (Less than a year)

Pros

A few good empathetic individuals, free sodas, good location and flexible lunch hours. Nothing else to come up with. I need 20 words and it's hard to come up with, says everything.

Cons

Poor management, incompetent CBO that has no clue of marketing ins- and outs. Like-minded inferior servants running the same show. No knowledge or respect for competence. Talk to a wall and you ll get a better response, don't expect any mentorship, good advices or high level of learning. You will be the one doing that without any monetary or substantial compensation.

Advice to Management

"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure." Colin Powell....that last part is a tough one. It's too real.

Pathway Genomics Response

Aug 3, 2017 – Pathway Genomics Team

Thank you for your feedback. We value your input and agree there are no secrets to success. We continue to work hard to develop and promote our products in the genomic market.

"Pathway Genomics Glassdoor Review"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

Pros

Very cool products and result feature is industry leader.

Cons

CBO is very inappropriate. She no ability to do her job, but she tries to do other people’s jobs and she has ruined numerous projects for Pathway. I was lucky that by working in engineering I was protected from the CBO. When she does not like someone she will target them and have HR fire them for no reason. CBO ruined every project she touched. Nobody at Pathway had any respect for the CBO. She created a culture of fear and most people did not care to do work that benefited her.

Advice to Management

Pathway has failed because of the CBO. Not sure how she has a job anywhere. Not sure how she is still at Pathway after ruining so many great things at Pathway.

Pathway Genomics Response

Aug 3, 2017 – Pathway Genomics Team

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your comment regarding our products. We take great pride in our accomplishments and it is only possible through the hard work and dedication of our... More

"Worst employer ever."

Pros

Great coworkers. That is all I can say. There is nothing else this place offers other than headaches and misery.

Cons

It's all been said in prior reviews. Nothing has changed and nothing will. Upper management lies and is as supportive as a wet noodle.

Advice to Management

Stop leaving fake 5 star reviews. Nobody believes any of it. If you care so much about a good image, try being decent human beings. Treat your employees with respect. It's not a difficult concept.