Pathway Genomics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
James Plante

Pros
  • Location and free lunch is great (in 15 reviews)

• Company produces great tests, benefits are great, less free food than before but hey its free so not complaining about free stuff (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Employee turnover is exremely high (in 3 reviews)

• In addition, due to my productivity being so high, they let go of my then director and Co worker and put me in charge of the department (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for and team to work with"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Pathway Genomics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, engaging projects, a lot of autonomy to and freedom to work on meaningful projects and make an impact, upper management and executives are very supportive and make themselves available to give feedback, awesome team you get to work alongside very smart and fun people.

Cons

because the company moves so fast, sometimes you wish you had a little more time to really polish something - but on the other hand it means you get to ship your work more often which is rewarding. also because the company moves fast, sometimes it feels like you're jumping from one project to the next, but again if you enjoy the fast-paced startup-esque culture this can make the job more fun and stimulating.

Advice to Management

keeping hiring smart people and letting them lean in and do great work, give more updates and transparency with the business

"Not for Computer Scientists"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Pathway Genomics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed the majority of my time working here. I was assigned to team outside of engineering where we were given the freedom and discretion to develop a mobile application that, when we started two years ago, was quite revolutionary.
    While I was aware of many of the common complaints voiced here during my tenure, I pretty much stayed quiet about the issues as I felt was treated very well for the most part. If it wasn't for my team, I probably would have bailed-out a long time ago.

Cons

Truthfully, if you're a computer scientist, you need to look elsewhere for a position. The company simply doesn't/won't value your skill sets or discipline as they view engineers as interchangeable mcdonalds-level employees. (Have you completed your time card today?)
    Engineering is usually rocketing along at a break-neck pace which has resulted in just an amazing amount of technical debt. Sandboxes are badly broken, it's damn near impossible to test anything outside of QA, there's a multitude of frameworks deployed, including Zend 1.0. (Seriously.) Although management is aware and wants to change/evolve, they're simply not given the bandwidth or budget to do so. As a result, there's little (if any) training, no documentation and in-line code commentary exists a concept on most projects. It's all churn-n-burn.
    Our team spent up to two-years developing, as I said in the above section, a decent product that was revolutionary (at the time of conception). One year later, it was cool, but other apps were starting to appear. Two years later, it was pointless. Company could never secure independent funding and the project was dropped/shelved, and the entire team was released without notice or severance.
    During the past two years we begged for additional headcount in order to derive an aggressive launch schedule but were always rebuffed if the position was redundant. So, basically, you ended up with one-each employee in each discipline. Sick time? Vacations? Schedule was impacted. Just really poor decisions consistently being made, all revenue driven.
    I don't understand the constant parade of investors (and not just for our team) being paraded through the building. Like there's not capital to sustain the current run-rate so we constantly experienced lay-offs in the company. In engineering, they'd fire a guy, then he'd be back a couple weeks later once it was learned that no one else knew that person's discipline. While the tech-set is huge, with the bare headcount, there's extreme silo'ing of skill sets resulting in unavoidable black-holes should an engineer quit, take vacation, etc. Stress, stress and more stress. With cheap sauce and a side order of cheap.

No opinion on the CEO - only saw him twice in two years. Never exchanged a single word.

Advice to Management

Invest in engineering and quit treating them like drudges. It's degrading to constantly have to argue for decent equipment, software, or beg to upgrade to current/standard releases. No one wants to hone skills that are over a decade old.

And it was a completely trashy move to fire an entire team of staff who'd worked very hard, very successfully, for 2+ years, without offering severance. Best indicator ever of what you think of your employees, right there: complete expendable and without value.

Feb 11, 2017 – Pathway Genomics Team

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed working with the talented engineers at Pathway. We take great pride in having a gifted, dedicated work force. All companies struggle ... More

3. "THANK YOU FOR MAKING A CHANGE"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Pathway Genomics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for PG for just over 4 years and I have seen this place go through what all companies go through "PAINS". I want to say a huge thank you to whoever was responsible for doing this. They listened to employees and they made the appropriate changes that needed to be made. They let go of the staff members who claimed to be "dedicated" when really they were just collecting a paycheck for being negative. I'm just a regular employee who comes in and tries my best. This place has been really good to me. I know I can't stay here forever but I will take what I learned onto my next place.

Cons

The way the building is laid out you never get to see anyone other then your own department. Which makes it hard to get to know others. Don't get me wrong the building is way better than the first building we were in. It was just nice being smaller.

Advice to Management

No advice really. Just wanted to say Thank you from a regular employee. That's all.

Oct 6, 2016 – Pathway Genomics Team

Thank you for your feedback. It's great to hear. We are looking forward to building number 3 with our future growth!

"look warm if not cold."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Pathway Genomics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

open minded company; lots of talented individuals with really good attitude; very good and current science.

Cons

no job security; they don't seem to appreciate dedication and loyalty; they don't train staff properly because usually the people being replaced have been fired or have been long gone so lots of re-work; they take 'employment at will' to the literal extreme.

Oct 6, 2016 – Pathway Genomics Team

Thank you for your feedback. The company has always been so appreciative of the numerous staff members that have been with the company for so many years. We apologize that your employment ... More

"Poorly Managed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Pathway Genomics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people, gotta love Costco, catered lunches are alright, decent food trucks

Cons

Poor executive management structure, no transparency, communication is lacking

Advice to Management

You've heard it all before - things need to change, but they won't

"It's all true"

Current Employee - Lab Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Lab Associate in San Diego, CA

Pros

There are some great people who I work with here.

Cons

I read them and just about all the negative reviews have truth to them and the positive ones are filled with lies.

Advice to Management

Nothing. It's all been said for years and it's been refused to be heard over and over again.

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Pathway Genomics full-time

Pros

Free lunch, nice building and stocked kitchen so you don't have to leave building.

Cons

This is probably the worst company I had ever worked for. They do track the front door. Despite all the people I worked with having favorable reviews of my performance the CBO gave or someone gave me notice less than 45 days after I started.

This is a company so poorly run that you could throw any amount of money there way and they couldn't build a paper towel holder. Horrible management horrible company.

Advice to Management

Quit

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Stockbridge, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Stockbridge, GA

I worked at Pathway Genomics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Innovative Technology in genetic testing.

Cons

Very unstable work environment. No structured training program. Promotion of products that have issues with managed care coverage.

"Outside sales"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Pathway Genomics (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product with tons of potential.

Cons

The company isn't stable and will fire you after 3 months. Please don't waste your time.

Advice to Management

Stop selling people a dream

Feb 29, 2016 – Pathway Genomics Team

We just had our National Sales Manager Meeting! Our sales force consists of employees that have been with us from 6 months to 3 years. We are sorry to hear that your employment didn't work out ... More

"Watch Out - High Turnover"

I worked at Pathway Genomics full-time

Pros

Generous health benefits and free lunches. The building is very modern and the people are great to work with .

Cons

Very high turnover rate, especially on the sales team. Mass layoffs are common and talent usually leave due to dissatisfaction. Sales positions last 3-6 months, while other positions last 6-18 months.

Dec 16, 2015 – Pathway Genomics Team

Thank you for your post. We are very proud of our building. In regards to your concerns about the "high turnover" in our sales department please reach out to our Human Resources. We value your ... More