Pathways Home Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Barbara Burgess

"A Conscientious Career Choice"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pathways Home Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm the kind of person who thrives knowing that my actions have meaning. That's why I joined Pathways. I need to know that my work life is spent doing something that I can look back upon with a positive sense of accomplishment. Pathways gives me that. They have competitive salaries for the marketplace (and for being a non-profit). Recent hires are bringing with them a sense of professionalism and background that is truly improving the overall functioning, with better policies, communications, and more staff training. I'm feel very hopeful of my career growth potential and professional opportunities here.

Cons

As a small non-profit operating in the SF Bay Area, staff members are each doing the work of three people. (Definitely never a dull moment!) However, there is the overall feeling that the organization is in "reaction mode" (fighting fires) instead of "proactive mode" (effective planning), which can lead to frustration. A lot of decisions made are questioned and changed or reversed later--either by the originators or someone in senior management.

Advice to Management

Trust that your staff are professionals and have a vested interest in the success of your organization. Review policies and procedures that may be out-dated and revise as needed. Conduct more thoughtful planning, reviews, and follow-up of all projects to ensure that successes and mistakes are tracked and effectively communicated. Continue training opportunities for managers and staff to ensure they can compete in the ever-changing landscape of home health, hospice, and private duty care.

2. "Not a good future"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Pathways Home Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The coworkers and clinicians are very friendly, helpful and supportive. Competitive pay and benefits, except for health insurance.

Cons

Many limitations to the health insurance coverage, especially if one has dependents to cover. Management is overtly preoccupied with image and revenue and neglects quality. There star rating from Medicare continues to decline.

Advice to Management

Read anything by W. Edwards Deming, then apply it to the operation.

3. "Such a bad management that doesn't care about their employees"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pathways Home Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good coworkers: office workers and clinicians are very nice, friendly, helpful and supportive

Cons

Underpaid: it is well-known Pathways pays the least among hospice agencies

Advice to Management

This company seriously needs change your management style. Recent model does not work at all. A lot of people who have worked long here have quit this company - one after another. Bottom line is that management doesn't care about field staff who actually work very hard for patients. Clinicians are very passionate, sincere and professional. If the management doesn't show their appreciation, I don't see any future for this company. It has been going out of business soon. Pathways has been losing a lot of patients as far as I know.

"Not a friendly place for nurses"

Former Employee - RN Field Case Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - RN Field Case Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Pathways Home Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wages and benefits are at least average

Cons

Nurses at Pathways, especially the case managers, are undervalued, unappreciated, and treated unfairly by management. It's a fact that over half of the nursing staff have left in the past year to find other jobs. Upper management continues to be insensitive to the nurses' needs, doggedly enforcing their unseasonable productivity standards and now threatening and punishing nurses if they have to put in overtime in order to get their job done. Nurses are exhausted from battling with upper management and scheduling on a daily basis because it's ultimately a losing battle. Case manager nurses frequently put in 2 to 4 hours of overtime and even work on their days off but don't record it because they are afraid of censure and don't want to get fired. The nursing staff ultimately appealed to Administration asking for a chance to be listened to, but they were given empty promises and merely placated. Now nurses who express their feelings are sometimes censured or fired. The bottom line is Pathways Home Health is not a very friendly place for nurses.

Advice to Management

1. Listen to your nurses. Keep your promise to actively seek their input and value what they have to say. Many small things would make their lives easier. Stop ignoring their cries for help.
    2. Invite nurses to be part of important committees. Make sure that nurses have a voice and vote on all policies that effect them.
    3. Provide your nurses with continuing education, in-services, and opportunities for self-improvement.
    4. Be honest and truthful with your nurses about everything that affects them. When you try to veil the truth it comes out in the end and makes you look very bad.
    5. Treat your nurses like caring professionals and representatives of your organization. Stop treating them like money-making machines.

"Stuck in their old, tired ways"

Former Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Pathways Home Health full-time

Pros

Free medical and dental benefits. Some coworkers were nice. Working from home was preferable to working in the proximity to the other people.

Cons

Management needs a shake up. Too many upper managers have been life long employees here and it shows: New innovations are not sought out, newer employees are not communicated with, old ways rule here - don't even think of having an original idea as it will be ridiculed and shut down unceremoniously.

Advice to Management

Get a CEO who knows how to properly run a business and who doesn't look down upon everyone under her employ. Find a CFO who understands more than debits and credits.

"Thrown under the bus!"

Former Employee - N/A in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - N/A in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Pathways Home Health full-time

Pros

no pros at this place, unless you've been working here for 10-plus years.

Cons

You will be treated like an outsider here, unless you can fit in with the good ol boys and girls club. They will get rid of you just like that without any written warnings, they will set you up to fail then let you go just like that.

Advice to Management

you need to clean house, start from the top then work your way down cause they promote their buddies with no skill sets to begin with, they just get absorbed with no proper training.

"Good, solid place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pathways Home Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good reputation, non-profit, local agency, good benefits (healthcare is free to full time employees), flexible hours, many people stay a long time, they try new ideas, opportunities to advance.

Cons

All home health and hospice has become super competitive and it affects the way they have to operate. Healthcare is changing really fast and so Pathways is changing too. I understand that it is necessary, but I don't like the pressures the new healthcare environment has created.

Advice to Management

Could do better to help employees understand business environment and the reasons for changes.

"Terrible place to work!!"

Former Employee - Nurse in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Nurse in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Pathways Home Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They had free coffee and tea.

Cons

Managers are allowed to yell at you in front of everyone. My manager said negative things to me about other employees. No coaching for performance only discipline.

Advice to Management

You need to change your management style. Coach for performance. Too much negativity. I was anxious everyday that I came to work there. Need to teach managers how to manage people. I saw way too many people cry there. It wasn't over the sadness that the nurses had to deal with everyday, but over the negativity due to poor leadership and management. I would have given no stars if I could!

10. "Medical social worker"

Pros

Great team, flexible schedule, nice people

Cons

Not many cons. It can get busy

"Management is ruining this place"

I worked at Pathways Home Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with some amazing people! When I got there 5 years ago it was a wonderful, supportive place to work. The Social Workers, Spiritual Care Counselors, and Case managers were amazing.

Cons

The management team all C-Level are horrible and not paying any attention. They keep spending tons of money on outside consultants and not listening to the employees they do have. When I got there people worked there for decades. The last 3 years it has been so bad everyone has jumped ship that can!

Advice to Management

Get new management! They are going to go out of business and they keep firing the wrong people!