KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 131 of over 140 reviews

3.8
Patreon CEO Jack Conte
Jack Conte
Pros
  • "Patreon is a rocket ship doing good for creators(in 40 reviews)

• "authentic, empathetic, passionate about helping creators get paid fairly(in 12 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Don’t expect to coast at Patreon(in 25 reviews)

• "The company prioritizes the needs of high-earning creators(in 16 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year
      Featured Review

Great vision & helping creators

Apr 28, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Patreon is a great combination of things - I think it's addressing a very real problem in the creative space where artists these days aren't paid for their work. It feels like you're really on the ground helping independent creators build their own business. The second real benefit is that this company is in a space where it's growing quickly, it feels relevant in the overall space right now, and there's a lot of momentum building. The third is the people - I love every single one of my teammates, which is not something I've ever felt before.

Cons

The current moment is a real dynamic shift in the company - there's a lot of work on the product that needs to be done and it's a real focus right now. But again, this could also be seen as exciting because there's a lot of space for new ideas.

8 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0

Excellent place to be

Jan 13, 2022 - Senior Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, culture, and leadership.

Cons

Things are very fluid and open so it can get a little overwhelming at first until you get your bearings.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 5.0

Believe the hype

Nov 8, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Although I just joined the company, what I have observed is thoughtful people doing work they truly believe in for an admirable mission. They truly care about helping creators and it shows in their dedication to delivering the best possible product. They also seem to really care about the culture which is evident in the warm, friendly, and informative onboarding experience to the internal events they host (I'm excited to attend more of these!) and how genuinely nice and helpful people have been. I think this place is really special and while it isn't perfect, there is so much potential here and I'm excited to be part of it.

Cons

It's a time of high growth and rapid hiring, which means the pace is quite fast. It also concerns me a bit that there doesn't seem to be much care and attention given to matters around DEI. While they are hiring quickly, there isn't much accountability about ensuring that recruiting and hiring practices prioritize bringing in diverse top talent. An exec actually made a statement that they don't care about bringing in diverse candidates, only that they bring in top talent quickly. I personally find that very disheartening to hear that this is the way our leaders think about DEI. Its irresponsible, tone deaf, and can quickly lead to a culture problem. I am withholding judgement for the time being, as I know the company is in a place where they are "growing up". But I am hoping to see better from leadership on this issue.

8 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

With Great Success Comes Great Responsibility...or Something Like That

Nov 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

*Personally, my manager in Ops is amazing, supportive, and makes my experience here better *Expanded headcount resources (finally stopped being stingy with Ops hires; can build a team that will deliver great experiences) *Winning company (although the product still needs to improve, we're still bringing on great creators and building the best experience possible with the team we have) *Fun teammates (not everyone cares about this, but I want to work with energized and creative people that give a crap about the work - that happens here.)

Cons

*Still working out global company quirks (events at undesirable times; still figuring out how to make the Patreon experience scale to smaller offices.) *Engagement Activity Stipend hasn't scaled with remote teammates (managers should have bigger budget to accommodate remote working challenges -- for offsites, travel, swag shipping, etc) *Low attendance in company events (this started in the pandemic, we need to find better ways to entice attendance so we feel more connected)

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company, A Lot of Growth, Some Changes Need to be Made (Just Like Most Companies)

Dec 30, 2021 - Anonymous in Omaha, NE
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits (healthcare, vision, dental, mental health, learning stipend, a flexible lifestyle stipend, 401 w/ match, remote/hybrid, and more!) Great culture, very welcoming and friendly people. Amazing mission focused on helping creators achieve their dreams of getting paid through their creations/content. A lot of growth which opens the door for a lot of learning in different areas. Competitive arena which makes it very dynamic which opens the door for continued development and enhancement. Working for Patreon is meaningful because one is making a positive impact on people’s lives. Core execs has made significant changes to their communication strategy. This has enabled for staff to get a clearer picture of what the exec team has on their minds and what is going on in the company looking at it holistically.

Cons

There needs to be better communication between exec team and the several teams across the company since there seems to be a disconnect in some areas across the company. There is room for improvement for collaboration between areas that have common goals/overlapping responsibilities. Exec team is often a little bit too optimistic (which is reasonable because they want to keep staff confident and optimistic), but they seem to diminish the importance of what competitors are doing, and how Patreon will overcome such challenges. As a startup, there are still not a lot of opportunities for career advancement in some areas across the company. Even though this is currently happening, I am sure that as the company keeps growing, more career advancement opportunities within the company will become available. Due to the growth the company is undergoing, some of the technical resources (engineers and product staff) have been focused on the future/growth of Patreon, which has left some teams feeling neglected because they have limited access to technical resources. Even though Patreon is currently going through a major hiring initiative, the exec team decided to change some of the core behaviors/cultural foundations of the company. Although this can be understandable because they want new staff to be onboarded onto the new culture, current staff is feeling confused because it seems like many resources are being utilized on different projects, instead of mainly focusing on attracting and hiring the best talent. Every company is going to have pros and cons, and in the case of Patreon, the pros significantly outweigh the cons. There’s no perfect company out there, especially in the startup sector. There is a lot of change, which creates turbulent waters and disgust among some of the staff. Nevertheless, we’ve got to understand that we are all in this together and are trying to get the creative class paid!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fast Paced but FUN

Nov 3, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Patreon in my experience has been an amazing place to work. Tons of growth professionally & personally. Im challenged enough where Im never bored but not to the point of exhaustion. I also LOVE the community here. I love that leadership/management realizes we aren't robots & no one works 8 hours straight through the day. There are plenty of events, fun activities & team bonding that gives you variety so you dont lose it! The perks are great, some of the best Iv'e ever had in my career! Great people, awesome mission, great company!

Cons

Things change A LOT! Just when you get used to one way it's something new you have to learn. That's not for everyone understandably. Patreon is growing extremely fast, but it's still a relatively small company so a ton of things need processes defined & built out. Not for the faint of heart. Work /life balance can be difficult if you dont work in California or if your team isn't based where you live. Diversity at the company still needs a lot of work.

5 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee

Get in while you can, bright future

Aug 12, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Patreon is a rocket ship doing good for creators. The mission is inspiring and people really care about getting creators paid for their work. The CEO is a creator—authentic, empathetic, passionate about helping creators get paid fairly. New CPO is from Instagram, cares deeply about craft and product quality. Company is well-funded, has good benefits (competitive comp, unlimited pto that people actually use, company recharge days, learning stipend) and is in a hot market. The creator economy is booming and Patreon is a place you can work that won’t make you feel gross about the end result (no ads or algorithms taking money from creators). Creative, driven teammates and culture, interesting problems to solve, exciting market (company is a unicorn, $4B valuation). Team is growing quickly and the product culture/new leadership is bringing in top talent, get in while you can. Patreon has some of the best people I’ve ever worked with.

Cons

Don’t expect to coast at Patreon. The creator economy/market is hot and stakes are high, which is exciting but intense. Career growth/path to promotion can be inconsistent across departments, lots of leadership changes. The pandemic, remote work, and layoffs have strained the culture and work-life balance at times, but things are getting back on track. If you like startups and want to work on an inspiring mission, Patreon is the place for you. Bring your grit—you will need it, but it’s worth it.

5 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

A steadying rocketship

Jul 7, 2021 - Product in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

My favorite part of working at Patreon are the people. Their dedication, expertise, and care for the mission is unparalleled, and I learn something new every day working alongside them. Patreon has endured a lot of growing pains, and one thing I appreciate is the humility and growth mindset of the leadership team. In the past the company has been very reactive to changes causing a lot of thrash and burnout. Over the last year we have matured a lot as an organization, and it's been great to see leadership rally behind the new strategy, offer appropriate investment, and provide stability. Recent hires also make me very optimistic about the future. We have a new Chief People Officer who is experienced, enthusiastic, and inspiring. The new Chief Product Officer is helping us ruthlessly focus on long-term outcomes, with an emphasis on craft and quality. This means we're being honest about difficult tradeoffs and collaborating closely with all sides of the business to ensure success. I'll also note that the reason we are afforded the opportunity to focus on the long term future, and invest in people and the product is because of our phenomenal growth, and the financial stability that has come with it.

Cons

The road to where we are now has been a tumultuous one. There have been many great colleagues who have advocated ad nauseam for the quality, strategy, and processes that have just now become a priority. Many of those people either left in exasperation, or were let go because perceived as "negative." They should have been heard and they should have been here now lending their passion and expertise for this next stage of the company.

3 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0

All around great job

Jan 11, 2022 - Graphic Designer in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home, nice management team :)

Cons

Mild work load, not busy most days. Can get stale

Be the first to find this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Huge Potential

Nov 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- We are on a great mission to get creators paid, hard to find more meaningful mission - Company is putting a lot of focus on craft, which is going to lead for solid foundation - Great WLB. People respect boundary you set between work and personal time. - People here are genuinely passionate and empathetic. - Creator economy is on fire, there is a lot of buzz (means there is real competition going on). So, there is real potential for making it big. - IPO likely going to be in near future.

Cons

- Many of other review points review points high turnover, I take this is as part of any startup knowing what works and what does not. Obviously Patreon has gone through more than fair share of those. Hopefully we can get past these and go full steam on our plan. - Many teams are stretched thin, as much focus as it is to hire a lot of technical folks, the company is long way to get there.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 131 Reviews

Patreon Reviews FAQs

68% of Patreon employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Patreon 3.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.9 for culture and values and 3.6 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Patreon to be benefits, coworkers and the cons to be diversity and inclusion, career development, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with Patreon Job Seekers