Patterson Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Patterson Companies President, CEO, and Director Scott P. Anderson
Scott P. Anderson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Depending on management but there is often flexibility and good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Great people and collaborative culture (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Long-term employees pride themselves on not taking vacations, coming into the office during snowstorms rather than working from home (in 3 reviews)

• This company is boys club law breaking company (in 4 reviews)

1. "Fun place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bessemer, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bessemer, AL

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

fast-paced, friendly, potential for overtime, managers help with training and cross-training to offer better opportunities to grow

Cons

stuck in same rotation for days on end, last two hours of days are a mad dash to get to the finish line

Advice to Management

create a detailed focus on the end of day to keep employees prepared for the inevitable rush that comes daily.

2. "Great company & Great people"

Current Employee - Corporate in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Corporate in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance is respected. People are kind and generous. Small company feel in a large company environment. Excellent leadership at the helm.

Cons

Strategic direction has been unclear in the past three years but it seems like a new direction is solidifying. The company has gone through a large transition from home-spun business systems and integrations to a full ERP rollout. There is regrouping and TLC to the groundlings needed to maintain the excellent Patterson Culture we've grown to love.

Advice to Management

GO TEAM, GO!!! But be kind and gentle to those trying to catch up with the new direction.

"Finally over"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great flexible schedule, good benefits, lots of PTO. Job itself was great. $3 lunches, parking onsite, updated equipment and software.

Cons

Corporate life consists of constantly pleasing people. In the employee handbook that you can be let go any day. No job security.

4. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer-II in Effingham, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer-II in Effingham, IL

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people. Great management. Excellent work-life balance.

Cons

Salary might be a little lower than you want, but it may not be enough to concern you.

"Fss bldg"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Patterson Companies (More than 10 years)

Pros

In this bldg there unfortunately no positive things to say. Everyone is very unhappy due to the new management. It's a very mean harassment environment

Cons

The two new upper management have managed to make our bldg a high stress borderline hostile environment. They put on a show of niceness and concern when they need to but when nobody is in the bldg from corporate they treat us horribly. Feels like elementary school. My belief would be 90% of us are looking for other work.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the FSS building. You have put management in charge over here that are making your employees miserable and some taking medical leave from stress. One of the managers thrives on conflict. You are not going to get the best from your employees if they are constantly in conflict due to her

6. "Years of employment doing what love.."

Former Employee - Service Desk in Valencia, CA
    Former Employee - Service Desk in Valencia, CA

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Outstanding Benefits, Dental offices provide you w/job opportunities if you ever leave the company, get experience in dentistry.

Cons

Cost of leaving rises, All Insurances costs rise Job duties added to you..etc....No Raise in 4 years but Management gave themselves a raise 😠 every year.

Advice to Management

Before Management gives themselves raises, golf tournaments, lavish trips, sales representatives included, PLEASE give the above material things up, go hands on only doing the job of either a Customer Service Rep, Scheduler or a Technician for no less than 2mos consecutive days every year for 4yrs at that Dept pay, hours & during the industries bestest time of year. Then just MAYBE it will help you all understand that your job & salaries are because of the employee that actually sits there everyday & keeps the customers happy & buying. Bonuses, company picnics w/invited family members & company holiday dinners w/invited spouses all don't happen anymore because of selfish deep pockets. The 2 words that are a rarity in the dental industries is, "Thank You." Not to just the customers but to those of us that have the personal relationships w/the customers that in the end pay all of our salaries. Keep Smiling!!

"Dissapointed in the future of Patterson"

Current Employee - FSS Building in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - FSS Building in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Offer great befits.

Cons

Management is only worried about metrics and does not show any concern of the employees. They use to value the employees but now do not care about happiness within workers. What I use to work in was a very friendly happy environment and loved coming to work. They have now managed to change that work environment to a hostile one which employees no longer trust each other. They do not allow us to work as a team but have us scared to help the others for fear of being reprimanded . I am extremely disappointed as I wanted to have this be my forever job. Now I am watching awesome hard working employees leave due to management and most others are looking.

Advice to Management

Remember what Patterson was built on. Go back to caring about your employees. Remember core values of Patterson and go back to them. I would like to be proud to say where I work as I use to.. We would all like that back. Management needs to have lessons on treating people as human beings.

"Culture Clashes as Company Adapts to New World"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mendota Heights, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mendota Heights, MN

I have been working at Patterson Companies full-time

Pros

• Relaxed atmosphere.
    • $3 lunches at Corp Office.
    • Fitness center at corp office.
    • Co-workers supportive of life events (ie. parties for birthdays, weddings, kids).
    • New talent is receptive to change, and has been a breath of fresh air.

Cons

• Stubborn, Old-School, Boys Club Management.
    • No maternity leave policy. Women are forced to use short term disability, meaning they receive 70% of their salary for 6 weeks. Unacceptable for a large company in 2017.
    • No paternity leave policy.
    • Many people talk behind others back when they decide to work from home. Bitterness from long-term employees exists.
    • Long-term employees pride themselves on not taking vacations, coming into the office during snowstorms rather than working from home.
    • Misiak, Guggenheim, and Anderson continue to receive millions each year as competitors pass them by. Patterson stock is trailing the Dow by 24% and Henry Schein’s by 100% over the past 5 years as of January 2017.
    • Salary for corp employees is consistently 10-15k less than market value. 2-3% annual raise is standard without consideration to individual performance.
    • Manufacturing 1920’s work attitude is heavily present here (time spent at your desk is more valued more than actual productivity).
    • Some people very resistant to change in the Corp office.
    • No 401k matching. Employee stock purchase plan requires you to remain with company for 6 years to be vested.

Advice to Management

To the board of directors - Time to think about shaking things up at the top. Scott and Dental leadership have missed many market opportunities while continuing an old white conservative salesman culture. It's time to become more inclusive and representative of the markets you wish to serve.

"n/a"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Eagan, MN

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my co-workers on my team.

Cons

Severe workload overload, insufficient training

Advice to Management

n/a

"Changing as a company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you fit the culture, there are multiple options for development and achievements. Company is slowly changing, bringing in new people, ideas and opportunities.

Cons

Needs a lot of work to improve processes, systems. Sales drives the organization. Lack of strategic planning and execution strengthens competition's positions.

Advice to Management

Develop your in-house talent before you look outside.