Patterson Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Patterson Companies President, CEO, and Director Scott P. Anderson
Scott P. Anderson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Depending on management but there is often flexibility and good work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Great people and collaborative culture (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long-term employees pride themselves on not taking vacations, coming into the office during snowstorms rather than working from home (in 3 reviews)

• This company is boys club law breaking company (in 4 reviews)

1. "Search Marketing Manager"

I have been working at Patterson Companies full-time

Pros

Great people, opportunities to work from home, employee stock

Cons

The pay is not great

2. "Corporate Office"

I have been working at Patterson Companies full-time

Pros

Free Parking and sometimes decent $3 lunches. But most of the time not.

Cons

No alignment with senior management and this place seems to continue going down hill, real fast.

3. "Room for improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people. Good work-life balance. Laid-back atmosphere.

Cons

Leadership seems to be out of touch with needs/wants of employees. Very little room for growth and learning. Pay is not good. Culture seems to be falling apart. Unqualified employees in roles, simply because Patterson is too cheap to pay for qualified, talented people.

4. "Great company & Great people"

Current Employee - Corporate in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Corporate in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance is respected. People are kind and generous. Small company feel in a large company environment. Excellent leadership at the helm.

Cons

Strategic direction has been unclear in the past three years but it seems like a new direction is solidifying. The company has gone through a large transition from home-spun business systems and integrations to a full ERP rollout. There is regrouping and TLC to the groundlings needed to maintain the excellent Patterson Culture we've grown to love.

Advice to Management

GO TEAM, GO!!! But be kind and gentle to those trying to catch up with the new direction.

5. "Financial Shared Services Exceptions Processor"

I have been working at Patterson Companies full-time

Pros

You can work OT if you would like. Casual office dress.

Cons

Some co workers were difficult to work with.

"Fss bldg"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Patterson Companies (More than 10 years)

Pros

In this bldg there unfortunately no positive things to say. Everyone is very unhappy due to the new management. It's a very mean harassment environment

Cons

The two new upper management have managed to make our bldg a high stress borderline hostile environment. They put on a show of niceness and concern when they need to but when nobody is in the bldg from corporate they treat us horribly. Feels like elementary school. My belief would be 90% of us are looking for other work.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the FSS building. You have put management in charge over here that are making your employees miserable and some taking medical leave from stress. One of the managers thrives on conflict. You are not going to get the best from your employees if they are constantly in conflict due to her

7. "Project management"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Patterson Companies as a contractor

Pros

Great people to work with!!

Cons

There is not a lot of room for advancement

"Decent company that is going backwards"

I have been working at Patterson Companies full-time

Pros

A lot of people really care and are invested in the company. Depending on management but there is often flexibility and good work/life balance.

Cons

Benefits are ok but not great. Pay is pretty low in the industry. Too many people who have only worked at Patterson or have been here too long, aversion to outside thinking. Not a lot of opportunity.

Advice to Management

Hire some new blood and look for employees who are getting it done. Don't be afraid to take a leap and be more forward thinking, less reactive.

"Dissapointed in the future of Patterson"

Current Employee - FSS Building in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - FSS Building in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Offer great befits.

Cons

Management is only worried about metrics and does not show any concern of the employees. They use to value the employees but now do not care about happiness within workers. What I use to work in was a very friendly happy environment and loved coming to work. They have now managed to change that work environment to a hostile one which employees no longer trust each other. They do not allow us to work as a team but have us scared to help the others for fear of being reprimanded . I am extremely disappointed as I wanted to have this be my forever job. Now I am watching awesome hard working employees leave due to management and most others are looking.

Advice to Management

Remember what Patterson was built on. Go back to caring about your employees. Remember core values of Patterson and go back to them. I would like to be proud to say where I work as I use to.. We would all like that back. Management needs to have lessons on treating people as human beings.

"Culture Clashes as Company Adapts to New World"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mendota Heights, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mendota Heights, MN

I have been working at Patterson Companies full-time

Pros

• Relaxed atmosphere.
    • $3 lunches at Corp Office.
    • Fitness center at corp office.
    • Co-workers supportive of life events (ie. parties for birthdays, weddings, kids).
    • New talent is receptive to change, and has been a breath of fresh air.

Cons

• Stubborn, Old-School, Boys Club Management.
    • No maternity leave policy. Women are forced to use short term disability, meaning they receive 70% of their salary for 6 weeks. Unacceptable for a large company in 2017.
    • No paternity leave policy.
    • Many people talk behind others back when they decide to work from home. Bitterness from long-term employees exists.
    • Long-term employees pride themselves on not taking vacations, coming into the office during snowstorms rather than working from home.
    • Misiak, Guggenheim, and Anderson continue to receive millions each year as competitors pass them by. Patterson stock is trailing the Dow by 24% and Henry Schein’s by 100% over the past 5 years as of January 2017.
    • Salary for corp employees is consistently 10-15k less than market value. 2-3% annual raise is standard without consideration to individual performance.
    • Manufacturing 1920’s work attitude is heavily present here (time spent at your desk is more valued more than actual productivity).
    • Some people very resistant to change in the Corp office.
    • No 401k matching. Employee stock purchase plan requires you to remain with company for 6 years to be vested.

Advice to Management

To the board of directors - Time to think about shaking things up at the top. Scott and Dental leadership have missed many market opportunities while continuing an old white conservative salesman culture. It's time to become more inclusive and representative of the markets you wish to serve.