Patterson Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Patterson Companies President, CEO, and Director Scott P. Anderson
Scott P. Anderson

Pros
  • Depending on management but there is often flexibility and good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Great people and collaborative culture (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long-term employees pride themselves on not taking vacations, coming into the office during snowstorms rather than working from home (in 3 reviews)

• This company is boys club law breaking company (in 4 reviews)

"Fss bldg"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Patterson Companies (More than 10 years)

Pros

In this bldg there unfortunately no positive things to say. Everyone is very unhappy due to the new management. It's a very mean harassment environment

Cons

The two new upper management have managed to make our bldg a high stress borderline hostile environment. They put on a show of niceness and concern when they need to but when nobody is in the bldg from corporate they treat us horribly. Feels like elementary school. My belief would be 90% of us are looking for other work.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the FSS building. You have put management in charge over here that are making your employees miserable and some taking medical leave from stress. One of the managers thrives on conflict. You are not going to get the best from your employees if they are constantly in conflict due to her

"Corporate atmosphere with low salaries"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This is a great company to be a share holder of. It seems that their focus is on making the shareholders money by treating their employees like they are the expendable tools that are used to do so.

Cons

The salaries are extremely low for the industry. There is plenty of corporate bureaucracy to make your job more challenging than it needs to be.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you want to retain the. All of the top talent leave because salaries are too low, or the job is too burdensome.

3. "Used to be a Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Effingham, IL

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, some good managers although most are lazy and reminded me of my old restaurant managers from when I was high school (you know the type).

Cons

Used to be a company that was customer oriented. Then they brought in someone new and it turned into numbers oriented. Whether you helped the customer or not, it was all about the call length. Get them off the phone as quickly as possible or no raise.

They used to pride themselves in not being so concerned with numbers. In one meeting management said, and I quote, "we aren't dish network. We are going to do what we can to resolve the caller's issue. If the call is dropped, we'll call them back." A year later, in another meeting, seriously they said, "if you call dish network and your call gets dropped, do they call you back? No. So we shouldn't be expected to do it either." It was unbelievable. Morale plummeted after these changes. Coworkers were stressed, managers were micromanaged way too much. It went from a place that even though the work sucked it was still a fun environment to a place where the work sucks as well as the environment.

Advice to Management

Let go of the numbers and that might help relieve some stress and bring some good morale back.

5. "human resource consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in National City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in National City, CA

Pros

Easy to work with good pay.

Cons

Very little knowledge of how the business is really run on a national level. Not much communication to middle managers from the top.

Advice to Management

The CEO is not the guy listed here. Paul A. Guggenheim has been moved Anderson is handling the Dental company and firings.

"If you work here, you better become a favorite in order to get anywhere"

Former Employee - Illinois in Effingham, IL
    Former Employee - Illinois in Effingham, IL

I worked at Patterson Companies (More than 5 years)

Pros

The cafeteria was convenient.
    The company itself does a lot of fundraising and charity work. There were always fun things happening like competitions, bbqs with games, etc.
    I think it's great the company did so much to keep moral high, unfortunately they don't make so much of an effort to make your job a happy experience.

Cons

Management always had favorites, and if you were a favorite you would promote quickly.
    If you were not a favorite, you were quickly blackballed and everyone would treat you as an outsider. Everything you did would be highly scrutinized and picked a part. They will tell you that you're doing great but then never compensate you when review time came around. I couldn't tell you how many reviews I had in 5+ years where I was told I was doing an excellent job, better then most, but they just couldn't afford to give me anymore or promote me. Then you would see it happen for others. In the 6 years I was there, my salary went up $2k.... While others went up way more than that yet I was constantly told I was a great performer and oh we wish we could promote you/pay you more. In the meantime promotions were handed out to favorites like candy on Halloween, and they built an entire new building and acquired new companies but never had money for their loyal employees.
    Management didn't seem to know what they were doing most of the time, and would change processes constantly because they were making decisions on positions they knew nothing about, and would not listen to the people in that position.
    A very fake environment and toxic.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the employees that are willing to work hard and advance in the company, take the favorites out of the equation and you may hit a jackpot. It's all around you if you would pay attention and stop acting like a teenage girl chasing popularity.

7. "Would not reccomend"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some departments function well and are helpful, while others are inconsistent in performance. Culture used to be friendly until recently (last year and a half). Workplace cafeteria is amazing for having a hot breakfast and lunch.

Cons

Getting ahead is more about who you know and who likes you rather than being the best at your job. With that said, if you don't have a career path in mind, management won't help you develop one. Expect to be under compensated compared to the market. Unless you know how much you are worth, they will lowball you significantly. Annual bonus is not based on your performance and the company performance review offers a regular 3% max pay raise unless you have a new certification or get promoted.

Advice to Management

Listen and empower employees and think more about the cost benefit of decisions instead of just the costs. Make salaries competitive with the market.

8. "Wasn't for me"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paxton, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paxton, IL

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Offers training, there are a few good people to work with that are willing to help. Benefits are decent, and you occasionally get free stuff.

Cons

The hours were sucky. The pay left a little to be desired. Some of us were pushed into performing duties that we had no real training in just told we had to do it and go with it. The Software isn't very good there were more issues with it than anything.

Advice to Management

Really need to reevaluate your management staff. Some are in the roles of manager and should not be there.

"It never became more than a job."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Effingham, IL

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There were not many perks to working here. The overall attitude was not very friendly, very judgmental, and it felt like high school.

Cons

Management was very cliquey and immature at times. It was like a campaign for prom king and queen most of the time. Very fake attitudes.
    The salaries are a joke, and the raises are not worth it. They make you jump through hoops to fill this and that questionnaire out asking how to make things better and you get to vent about the same things over and over again but see nothing come of it.
    They pacify you by having you fill these out so when you bring up issues in your reviews they can say they are working on it.

Advice to Management

grow up and open your eyes to every employee and their potential, not just your friends!

10. "A lot of potential and wasted effort"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Patterson Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of promise with desired ITIL process adoption and good intentions intent to build out new IT operations services across business lines.

Cons

A lot of decision making authority granted to stale IT managers or those with limited IT experience. Be ready to stand your ground, demand compensation upon start and be prepared for weak performance/merit increase.

Advice to Management

Please void cronyism and turn IT around to something in can be.

"One disappointment after another, do not promote, management cagey + misleading"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Boston, MA

I have been working at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Dentist are usually good professionals to work with. No weekends

Cons

High stress/ pressure to get high volume productivity with little training. Management @ Boston mislead you in interview with upward wage+ promotion, but expect more for lower wages. Huge turnover most employees have downward wages over years. If Company profits up why cut wages + benefits/ growth in the division. Had 7 bosses in less than 10 years. Looking for new job. You are totally on your own here. Very poor communication.

Advice to Management

Treat all your employees the way you want to be treated.