Patterson Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

Patterson Companies President and CEO Mark Walchirk
Mark Walchirk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long-term employees pride themselves on not taking vacations, coming into the office during snowstorms rather than working from home (in 3 reviews)

• This company is boys club law breaking company (in 4 reviews)

1. "Corporate Office"

I have been working at Patterson Companies full-time

Pros

Free Parking and sometimes decent $3 lunches. But most of the time not.

Cons

No alignment with senior management and this place seems to continue going down hill, real fast.

2. "Room for improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people. Good work-life balance. Laid-back atmosphere.

Cons

Leadership seems to be out of touch with needs/wants of employees. Very little room for growth and learning. Pay is not good. Culture seems to be falling apart. Unqualified employees in roles, simply because Patterson is too cheap to pay for qualified, talented people.

3. "Corporate is out of touch"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Effingham, IL
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Effingham, IL

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great people in Effingham, benefits are good

Cons

They don't seem to want to work with anyone outside of Mendota Heights, MN. IT wanted to break down silos but instead they put up 10x more. Pay is way lower than national averages. Sr. Management just has no clue.

Advice to Management

You use a lot of buzz words, but I don't think they mean what you think they mean. Take "innovative" for example. Backup what you say by empowering employees and let them shine. We poured so much money into contractors and consultants when there was talent here to do the work. Case in point: Fuse. Good luck and I hope it turns out well in the end, but it was one huge sink hole of talent and funding.

"Finally over"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great flexible schedule, good benefits, lots of PTO. Job itself was great. $3 lunches, parking onsite, updated equipment and software.

Cons

Corporate life consists of constantly pleasing people. In the employee handbook that you can be let go any day. No job security.

"Fss bldg"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Patterson Companies (More than 10 years)

Pros

In this bldg there unfortunately no positive things to say. Everyone is very unhappy due to the new management. It's a very mean harassment environment

Cons

The two new upper management have managed to make our bldg a high stress borderline hostile environment. They put on a show of niceness and concern when they need to but when nobody is in the bldg from corporate they treat us horribly. Feels like elementary school. My belief would be 90% of us are looking for other work.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the FSS building. You have put management in charge over here that are making your employees miserable and some taking medical leave from stress. One of the managers thrives on conflict. You are not going to get the best from your employees if they are constantly in conflict due to her

6. "Very unstable Call Center environment."

Pros

Pleasant new building, and nice offices. Some job training, and new computer systems. Nice co workers, and good management.

Cons

High turn over rate, favoritism, and not good training. Not given a chance to learn job. They hire and fire too often here.

"I have been very disappointed working here."

Pros

Not many 'pros' come to mind
    Flexible schedule
    Great benefits and casual dress code
    Fun team

Cons

Management is deceptive. They tell you what they think you want to hear. They hire for one position and then switch it to something completely different. Most departments work mandatory Saturdays (they will deny this in the interview). Honest communication is lacking. Raises and promotions are almost nonexistent. Management shows visible favortism. Directors try to use intimidation to get results.

"Want to grow at this company? You CAN'T be good at your job then!"

I have been working at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment. Opportunities to work remote and flex your schedule, should your manager approve. There isn't fair treatment because there aren't any set policies; it's all determined by how much your manager and director like you.

Cons

If you have any hopes to grow your career, you cannot do it at Patterson unless you're not very good at your job. If you're good at your job you will be held back because you're "too valuable in your current role". Mediocre talent gets promoted to leadership roles, so you can imagine what "leadership" is like around Patterson. It's almost non-existent. If you have any desire to grow as a person or in your career, go somewhere else!

They pay is also ridiculous. The turnover is terrible because they're constantly letting the more valuable people go for younger, cheaper college grads.

The values and vision are a joke. Just something abstract for leadership to preach, but they're not followed. Example: Innovation. Patterson executes: you cannot change the world by trying to be like everyone else!! Stop following what your competitors are doing and BE innovative!

Advice to Management

It's hopeless. Management doesn't listen anyway, so most people have given up trying.

"Corporate atmosphere with low salaries"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This is a great company to be a share holder of. It seems that their focus is on making the shareholders money by treating their employees like they are the expendable tools that are used to do so.

Cons

The salaries are extremely low for the industry. There is plenty of corporate bureaucracy to make your job more challenging than it needs to be.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you want to retain the. All of the top talent leave because salaries are too low, or the job is too burdensome.

10. "Used to be a Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Effingham, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Effingham, IL

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, some good managers although most are lazy and reminded me of my old restaurant managers from when I was high school (you know the type).

Cons

Used to be a company that was customer oriented. Then they brought in someone new and it turned into numbers oriented. Whether you helped the customer or not, it was all about the call length. Get them off the phone as quickly as possible or no raise.

They used to pride themselves in not being so concerned with numbers. In one meeting management said, and I quote, "we aren't dish network. We are going to do what we can to resolve the caller's issue. If the call is dropped, we'll call them back." A year later, in another meeting, seriously they said, "if you call dish network and your call gets dropped, do they call you back? No. So we shouldn't be expected to do it either." It was unbelievable. Morale plummeted after these changes. Coworkers were stressed, managers were micromanaged way too much. It went from a place that even though the work sucked it was still a fun environment to a place where the work sucks as well as the environment.

Advice to Management

Let go of the numbers and that might help relieve some stress and bring some good morale back.