Patterson Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Patterson Companies President, CEO, and Director Scott P. Anderson
Scott P. Anderson

Pros
  • Depending on management but there is often flexibility and good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Great people and collaborative culture (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long-term employees pride themselves on not taking vacations, coming into the office during snowstorms rather than working from home (in 3 reviews)

• This company is boys club law breaking company (in 4 reviews)

"Dissapointed in the future of Patterson"

Current Employee - FSS Building in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - FSS Building in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Offer great befits.

Cons

Management is only worried about metrics and does not show any concern of the employees. They use to value the employees but now do not care about happiness within workers. What I use to work in was a very friendly happy environment and loved coming to work. They have now managed to change that work environment to a hostile one which employees no longer trust each other. They do not allow us to work as a team but have us scared to help the others for fear of being reprimanded . I am extremely disappointed as I wanted to have this be my forever job. Now I am watching awesome hard working employees leave due to management and most others are looking.

Advice to Management

Remember what Patterson was built on. Go back to caring about your employees. Remember core values of Patterson and go back to them. I would like to be proud to say where I work as I use to.. We would all like that back. Management needs to have lessons on treating people as human beings.

2. "n/a"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Eagan, MN

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my co-workers on my team.

Cons

Severe workload overload, insufficient training

Advice to Management

n/a

"Territory sales representative"

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time

Pros

Initially, Patterson was a comany that cared for theIraq employees, compensated us well and was a fairly well balanced work place.

Cons

Desperate for cerec sales in order to keep the exclusive, which is putting enormous pressure on the reps and taking away from other focus.
    Management is becoming greedy, micromanaging employees, all while they keep filling their pockets.
    Anyone with an expense account for miles has to use a GPS tracker app. Might as well put dog collars on your reps.

Advice to Management

Get back to the basics of what made pdco great, otherwise this will be a downward spiral for the company, especially after cerec is gone bye bye.

"IT"

Former Employee - Information Technology in Mendota Heights, MN
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Mendota Heights, MN

Pros

Good parking and clean building.

Cons

Chaotic environment without mature IT, regulatory, or infrastructure required to compete in a global market. Old boys network of management. Poor management choices and constant betrayal.

Advice to Management

Stop being so steril, standup for your subordinates, and don't let others push you around. Subsequently don't push your employees.

""boys club" in the creative"

Former Employee - Graphic Design in Mendota Heights, MN
    Former Employee - Graphic Design in Mendota Heights, MN

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work was awesome. Because Patterson is a conglomerate, the difference in work was great and the creative was near to perfect for every project.

Cons

There is a boys club here, so much so that they will even refer to themselves as "the boys club". The newly appointed creative directors are people that do whatever they want, whenever they want. However if you make a mistake, a small mistake, you will be unfairly punished. They are locked into 50's type of mentality. It's dangerous and horribly passive and aggressive abuse is alive and will continue to live there for a long time, I believe. If you are someone that doesn't speak up or if fine with being mistreated in all aspects of the word, professionally, and unprofessionally, it doesn't bother you to be taken advantage of, then I think you could survive here. I still to this day get texts saying what a great thing it is that I don't work there anymore.

Advice to Management

Start looking at your faults and be a human being to your staff. Thank them, plan with them and follow through on your statements. Treat your teammates as your teammates, not your enemies to speak ill about behind their backs. Look at the segregation you support and how this offers to an extremely unhealthy work place.

7. "Veterinary Pharmaceutical Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Inside Sales/Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Inside Sales/Customer Service Representative

Pros

Compared to working in a veterinary clinic, the pros are: steady pay, benefits, PTO, no weekends and no animals try and bite you. It is almost impossible to get fired. Good entry-level position to get exposure to sales. There is no 401k match and they just started charging a yearly fee on any contributions you do make.

Cons

it is a call center and there is no opportunity for advancement, ever. Pay is hourly and very close to minimum wage. Management is completely oblivious to what is happening in the call centers. Uneven workloads; dependent on the Territory Manager you support.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees concerns and address them. Make your young, motivated and intelligent people happy. They do the most work and have the best chance at finding employment elsewhere if you don't!

"IT re org"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, MN

I worked at Patterson Companies (More than 10 years)

Pros

They offer $3 lunches, ESOP company.

Cons

multi reorgs and every year before the earning announcement they like to cut staff only to hire new staff.

9. "OK"

Pros

Benefits were good for the most part..

Cons

Limited personal time - expected to be available 24 x 7, rarely train, newly hired employees very rude

10. "Leadership Issues - Corporate HQ"

Former Employee - Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy commute, Cheap Lunch, Well Maintained Facilities, Free Hand cream in the bathrooms!

Cons

Passive aggressive management, Boys club, Low pay, Expensive health care benefits, terrible matching 401k, quietly fires people when threat of not making annual revenue target, Leadership will listen to consultants and ignore employees/managers, reviews are few and far between. VP's will make commitments/promises at hiring then lie that they ever made a commitment (get it in writing or don't take the job). Management goes behind the backs of certain managers undermining them to their consultants and staff. Their status of "most trusted company in America" is a joke. The culture breads unethical behavior especially in operations!

Advice to Management

The culture is toxic...fix it! There are a few VP's that yield a lot of power, they lie and stab managers in the back. Fix this!! Know one will come forward because of this power. Fix this too!

"OK first job, don't stay for too long"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Effingham, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Effingham, IL

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working in a team environment and had good training before I started working on the products. Flexible working conditions were nice.

Cons

-No incentive to be productive. I was a top producer, got the same bonus as everyone else in the division.
    -Was frequently lied to by management regarding structural changes to my department and the department's pay structure in order to keep me as an employee.
    -No opportunities for advancement
    -Coffee provided was terrible
    -Low pay
    -Bad benefits
    -After leaving, learned that managers have a different bonus structure that gives them a percentage of their salary. Why are they rewarded when I bust my butt and get nothing?
    -Also after leaving, found out that other companies have significantly better perks and benefits available.

Advice to Management

Need to reward top performers or they will continue to flee the company.