Patterson Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

Patterson Companies President and CEO Mark Walchirk
Mark Walchirk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long-term employees pride themselves on not taking vacations, coming into the office during snowstorms rather than working from home (in 3 reviews)

• This company is boys club law breaking company (in 4 reviews)

1. "Opportunities Await"

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time

Pros

History, and lots of potential

Cons

Infrastructure, process, accountability, culture, leadership

"Employees don't matter"

Pros

The benefits at Patterson are good compared to other companies. Plenty of PTO, Holiday, and Volunteer time off and management is flexible.

Cons

Everything in this company is crashing. Upper management does not care about the employees. It's a toxic environment. Over worked, underpaid.

"Quitting kept me from going crazy and saved my marriage"

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible hours, friendly people, lots of new technology.

Cons

In IT you are not allowed to do anything that would require you to use your brain. Everything is done for you and if you try to fix anything you get punished. If you are not at corporate office you are treated like you don't know anything. I was even told by some corporate managers that they don't know why they would build a great big tech center in the middle of a corn field. Trying to address issues with management is a joke. You are just told what you want to hear in hopes you won't bother them anymore. Low pay. Quitting saved my sanity, marriage, and self esteem. I was beginning to think i was stupid based on the way I was treated. I have never wrote a review of any place I have worked, and I read some of the bad reviews of this place before I started, but thought it couldn't really be that bad - all I can say is I was wrong.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and their concerns. Executive managers need to replace management with qualified people who don't blow smoke at problems and want to make changes for the better. There is a reason your turnover is very high. As far as coworkers and the types of projects worked on this was one of the most fun - but the way the place is managed and people treated it overshadowed any good.

"Dissapointed in the future of Patterson"

Current Employee - FSS Building in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - FSS Building in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Offer great befits.

Cons

Management is only worried about metrics and does not show any concern of the employees. They use to value the employees but now do not care about happiness within workers. What I use to work in was a very friendly happy environment and loved coming to work. They have now managed to change that work environment to a hostile one which employees no longer trust each other. They do not allow us to work as a team but have us scared to help the others for fear of being reprimanded . I am extremely disappointed as I wanted to have this be my forever job. Now I am watching awesome hard working employees leave due to management and most others are looking.

Advice to Management

Remember what Patterson was built on. Go back to caring about your employees. Remember core values of Patterson and go back to them. I would like to be proud to say where I work as I use to.. We would all like that back. Management needs to have lessons on treating people as human beings.

"n/a"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Eagan, MN

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my co-workers on my team.

Cons

Severe workload overload, insufficient training

Advice to Management

n/a

"Territory sales representative"

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time

Pros

Initially, Patterson was a comany that cared for theIraq employees, compensated us well and was a fairly well balanced work place.

Cons

Desperate for cerec sales in order to keep the exclusive, which is putting enormous pressure on the reps and taking away from other focus.
    Management is becoming greedy, micromanaging employees, all while they keep filling their pockets.
    Anyone with an expense account for miles has to use a GPS tracker app. Might as well put dog collars on your reps.

Advice to Management

Get back to the basics of what made pdco great, otherwise this will be a downward spiral for the company, especially after cerec is gone bye bye.

"IT"

Former Employee - Information Technology in Mendota Heights, MN
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Mendota Heights, MN

Pros

Good parking and clean building.

Cons

Chaotic environment without mature IT, regulatory, or infrastructure required to compete in a global market. Old boys network of management. Poor management choices and constant betrayal.

Advice to Management

Stop being so steril, standup for your subordinates, and don't let others push you around. Subsequently don't push your employees.

""boys club" in the creative"

Former Employee - Graphic Design in Mendota Heights, MN
    Former Employee - Graphic Design in Mendota Heights, MN

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work was awesome. Because Patterson is a conglomerate, the difference in work was great and the creative was near to perfect for every project.

Cons

There is a boys club here, so much so that they will even refer to themselves as "the boys club". The newly appointed creative directors are people that do whatever they want, whenever they want. However if you make a mistake, a small mistake, you will be unfairly punished. They are locked into 50's type of mentality. It's dangerous and horribly passive and aggressive abuse is alive and will continue to live there for a long time, I believe. If you are someone that doesn't speak up or if fine with being mistreated in all aspects of the word, professionally, and unprofessionally, it doesn't bother you to be taken advantage of, then I think you could survive here. I still to this day get texts saying what a great thing it is that I don't work there anymore.

Advice to Management

Start looking at your faults and be a human being to your staff. Thank them, plan with them and follow through on your statements. Treat your teammates as your teammates, not your enemies to speak ill about behind their backs. Look at the segregation you support and how this offers to an extremely unhealthy work place.

9. "Veterinary Pharmaceutical Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Inside Sales/Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Inside Sales/Customer Service Representative

Pros

Compared to working in a veterinary clinic, the pros are: steady pay, benefits, PTO, no weekends and no animals try and bite you. It is almost impossible to get fired. Good entry-level position to get exposure to sales. There is no 401k match and they just started charging a yearly fee on any contributions you do make.

Cons

it is a call center and there is no opportunity for advancement, ever. Pay is hourly and very close to minimum wage. Management is completely oblivious to what is happening in the call centers. Uneven workloads; dependent on the Territory Manager you support.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees concerns and address them. Make your young, motivated and intelligent people happy. They do the most work and have the best chance at finding employment elsewhere if you don't!

"IT re org"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, MN

I worked at Patterson Companies (More than 10 years)

Pros

They offer $3 lunches, ESOP company.

Cons

multi reorgs and every year before the earning announcement they like to cut staff only to hire new staff.