Patterson Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Patterson Companies President, CEO, and Director Scott P. Anderson
Scott P. Anderson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Depending on management but there is often flexibility and good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Great people and collaborative culture (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Long-term employees pride themselves on not taking vacations, coming into the office during snowstorms rather than working from home (in 3 reviews)

• This company is boys club law breaking company (in 4 reviews)

"Finally over"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great flexible schedule, good benefits, lots of PTO. Job itself was great. $3 lunches, parking onsite, updated equipment and software.

Cons

Corporate life consists of constantly pleasing people. In the employee handbook that you can be let go any day. No job security.

"Fss bldg"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Patterson Companies (More than 10 years)

Pros

In this bldg there unfortunately no positive things to say. Everyone is very unhappy due to the new management. It's a very mean harassment environment

Cons

The two new upper management have managed to make our bldg a high stress borderline hostile environment. They put on a show of niceness and concern when they need to but when nobody is in the bldg from corporate they treat us horribly. Feels like elementary school. My belief would be 90% of us are looking for other work.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the FSS building. You have put management in charge over here that are making your employees miserable and some taking medical leave from stress. One of the managers thrives on conflict. You are not going to get the best from your employees if they are constantly in conflict due to her

3. "Very unstable Call Center environment."

Pros

Pleasant new building, and nice offices. Some job training, and new computer systems. Nice co workers, and good management.

Cons

High turn over rate, favoritism, and not good training. Not given a chance to learn job. They hire and fire too often here.

"I have been very disappointed working here."

Pros

Not many 'pros' come to mind
    Flexible schedule
    Great benefits and casual dress code
    Fun team

Cons

Management is deceptive. They tell you what they think you want to hear. They hire for one position and then switch it to something completely different. Most departments work mandatory Saturdays (they will deny this in the interview). Honest communication is lacking. Raises and promotions are almost nonexistent. Management shows visible favortism. Directors try to use intimidation to get results.

"Want to grow at this company? You CAN'T be good at your job then!"

I have been working at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment. Opportunities to work remote and flex your schedule, should your manager approve. There isn't fair treatment because there aren't any set policies; it's all determined by how much your manager and director like you.

Cons

If you have any hopes to grow your career, you cannot do it at Patterson unless you're not very good at your job. If you're good at your job you will be held back because you're "too valuable in your current role". Mediocre talent gets promoted to leadership roles, so you can imagine what "leadership" is like around Patterson. It's almost non-existent. If you have any desire to grow as a person or in your career, go somewhere else!

They pay is also ridiculous. The turnover is terrible because they're constantly letting the more valuable people go for younger, cheaper college grads.

The values and vision are a joke. Just something abstract for leadership to preach, but they're not followed. Example: Innovation. Patterson executes: you cannot change the world by trying to be like everyone else!! Stop following what your competitors are doing and BE innovative!

Advice to Management

It's hopeless. Management doesn't listen anyway, so most people have given up trying.

"Corporate atmosphere with low salaries"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Patterson Companies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This is a great company to be a share holder of. It seems that their focus is on making the shareholders money by treating their employees like they are the expendable tools that are used to do so.

Cons

The salaries are extremely low for the industry. There is plenty of corporate bureaucracy to make your job more challenging than it needs to be.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you want to retain the. All of the top talent leave because salaries are too low, or the job is too burdensome.

7. "Used to be a Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Effingham, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Effingham, IL

I worked at Patterson Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, some good managers although most are lazy and reminded me of my old restaurant managers from when I was high school (you know the type).

Cons

Used to be a company that was customer oriented. Then they brought in someone new and it turned into numbers oriented. Whether you helped the customer or not, it was all about the call length. Get them off the phone as quickly as possible or no raise.

They used to pride themselves in not being so concerned with numbers. In one meeting management said, and I quote, "we aren't dish network. We are going to do what we can to resolve the caller's issue. If the call is dropped, we'll call them back." A year later, in another meeting, seriously they said, "if you call dish network and your call gets dropped, do they call you back? No. So we shouldn't be expected to do it either." It was unbelievable. Morale plummeted after these changes. Coworkers were stressed, managers were micromanaged way too much. It went from a place that even though the work sucked it was still a fun environment to a place where the work sucks as well as the environment.

Advice to Management

Let go of the numbers and that might help relieve some stress and bring some good morale back.

8. "human resource consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in National City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in National City, CA

Pros

Easy to work with good pay.

Cons

Very little knowledge of how the business is really run on a national level. Not much communication to middle managers from the top.

Advice to Management

The CEO is not the guy listed here. Paul A. Guggenheim has been moved Anderson is handling the Dental company and firings.

""IT""

Pros

Very convenient, with ample free parking, $3.00 lunches, free coffee/iced tea during the day. Exercise room. All this is in the main building.
    Decent benefits
    Fantastic people, co-workers

Cons

- no true IT leadership, even with new directors, etc...
    - managers are new to management and do not know how to lead. They revert to do technical stuff themselves instead of leading.
    - even long-term employees realize it but they just shut up: you have to be liked to get chances of interesting work or a good review.
    - scattered work/life balance: if you work on SAP, you were expected to work a minimum of 10 hrs per day plus selected week-ends.
    - IT very scattered with old systems being replaced by SAP and Web systems more up to date, plus commercial software separate.
    - Culture and values differ from a group to another. They are not applied systematically.

Advice to Management

The company's IT needs to be unified under a strong leadership with a vision and employees need to be involved in getting that vision to become a reality.... Not just be told.

"If you work here, you better become a favorite in order to get anywhere"

Former Employee - Illinois in Effingham, IL
    Former Employee - Illinois in Effingham, IL

I worked at Patterson Companies (More than 5 years)

Pros

The cafeteria was convenient.
    The company itself does a lot of fundraising and charity work. There were always fun things happening like competitions, bbqs with games, etc.
    I think it's great the company did so much to keep moral high, unfortunately they don't make so much of an effort to make your job a happy experience.

Cons

Management always had favorites, and if you were a favorite you would promote quickly.
    If you were not a favorite, you were quickly blackballed and everyone would treat you as an outsider. Everything you did would be highly scrutinized and picked a part. They will tell you that you're doing great but then never compensate you when review time came around. I couldn't tell you how many reviews I had in 5+ years where I was told I was doing an excellent job, better then most, but they just couldn't afford to give me anymore or promote me. Then you would see it happen for others. In the 6 years I was there, my salary went up $2k.... While others went up way more than that yet I was constantly told I was a great performer and oh we wish we could promote you/pay you more. In the meantime promotions were handed out to favorites like candy on Halloween, and they built an entire new building and acquired new companies but never had money for their loyal employees.
    Management didn't seem to know what they were doing most of the time, and would change processes constantly because they were making decisions on positions they knew nothing about, and would not listen to the people in that position.
    A very fake environment and toxic.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the employees that are willing to work hard and advance in the company, take the favorites out of the equation and you may hit a jackpot. It's all around you if you would pay attention and stop acting like a teenage girl chasing popularity.