Patton Boggs Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Thomas Hale Boggs Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Legal Secretary"

I worked at Patton Boggs full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, family atmosphere. Just overall awesome place to work.

Cons

No longer offer training classes.

2. "Of Counsel"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Patton Boggs full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

interesting work, range of personalities, range of clients. And general support for public policy work.

Cons

difficult as mid level to move up and partners often reluctant to share attribution; got harder to do public policy work within major law firm

3. "Executive Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Patton Boggs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work culture is amazing. They rock with the tide and still are able to keep the open honest and hardworking environment.

Cons

None I can think of.

"Just ehh..."

I worked at Patton Boggs full-time

Pros

Worked with some great people, Ok salary right for right out of school, worked out flexible schedules for mothers or people with special situations

Cons

Very demanding, Worked a lot of hours, paid the men more than the woman for the same job with the same work experience yet touts themselves as a great place for women to work

Advice to Management

Equal pay for women because employees talk to each other and better work life balance for all levels of employees- not just working mothers

5. "Associate"

Pros

More congenial atmosphere than most but big law firms. Was there until right before the merger with squire

Cons

Difficult to engage in cross practice work. The practice groups were silos.

"Attorney"

I worked at Patton Boggs full-time

Pros

You may get lucky and work with great people. There is respect for life outside the office.

Cons

There are many to avoid, so do your diligence.

"Most of the people were great to work with but management ruined my experience."

Former Employee - Legal Department in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Legal Department in Washington, DC

I worked at Patton Boggs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved working with the good people on meaningful cases.

Cons

Management this includes the HR department treated people like children and did not have the knowledge or care and attempted to something illegal until it a legal threat was made.

Advice to Management

Please terminate management that does not have the knowledge to illegally manage people even if they're your friends.

"Not a bad experience"

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Dallas, TX

Pros

Family oriented
    Great benefits
    Good pay
    Great attorneys
    Flexible

Cons

HR doesn't have a clue
    Petty co-workers
    Too much gossip by staff

Advice to Management

Open your eyes

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

Former Employee - Chief Economic Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Chief Economic Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Patton Boggs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

For over 25 years I was an equity partner level member of the famous law firm--as a PhD economist!. For the first half of my tenure there was a great spirit of innovation and collegiality. I had the good fortune to work on policy and commercial projects across a wide spectrum of industries and issues, often as lead but always in a collaborative atmosphere. My independence allowed me to implement my belief that such work should be backed by serious research. Given the wide range of projects, I immersed myself in the academic literatures of many economic disciplines, conducted research them and published many peer-reviewed articles in journals that spanned the spectrum of sub-disciplines in economics. At PB I truly grew into a multidisciplinary microeconomist who was equally comfortable at the academic and policy levels.

Cons

"A lawyer who insists on being his/her own strategic business planner has a fool for a client." PB was one of the last firms to maintain an "eat what you kill" compensation system. This destroyed collaboration incentives, and led to incompetent client representation as lawyers with no experience in a given area insisted on pretending competence to maximize their incomes, rather than having the best team on the job. It also destroyed the collegiality that had made PB so much fun in the past. This perverse but entrenched business model resulted in rapid client turnover, rather than maintenance of institutional clients. To counter this, very risky business strategies were attempted--funded by debt, which were completely counter to PB's long standing corporate culture. The result was that as revenues diminished, and PB approached bankruptcy, it became a very unpleasant place for staff, and the professionals became balkanized. PB did not innovate or adjust its business model to changing times, due to inertia and maybe a cult of personality. For this the firm paid a heavy price--it was acquired by a Cleveland Firm, literally weeks away from bankruptcy and the complete demise of a Washington icon.

Advice to Management

The acquiring Cleveland Firm is controlling what's left of PB under the name Squire Patton Boggs. I do not know them, but I hope they are innovative and create internal systems, including compensation, that foster collaboration, sharp and progressive strategies, and are ahead of the changes occurring in the legal community. But they acquired a very wounded animal. PB's lobbying revenues have dropped below others for the first time in its existence, and in a tragic coda to this debacle, Tom Boggs, died very shortly after the acquisition. Besides the sad personal effect it had on those of us who had known and admired him, this constitutes a major brand hit to SPB and I don't know how they intend to recover.

10. "Stay Away"

Former Employee - Paralegal in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Washington, DC

I worked at Patton Boggs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexible time. Ability to work from home

Cons

No moving up. Work by yourself with no training or supervision.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people.