Paul's TV Sales Reviews | Glassdoor

Sales

2.3
Jason Stern

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I had a great time working here, made money and got free lunches on Fridays (in 6 reviews)

• Startup Environment Feel, great people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Company went out of business, and wont be coming back due to competitors and low margins (in 2 reviews)

1. "senior sales"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate

I worked at Paul's TV (More than a year)

Pros

Had a lot of fun while making money, we had a lot of freedom when it come to making our store our own

Cons

there out of business

Advice to Management

dont hire someone whos going to run the company down hill

2. "Wow"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Paul's TV full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can you still give positive reviews when the company is going out of business?

Cons

Two years ago you had 50 stores around United States now you have five Southern California not 15 and now you have three in New England

Advice to Management

Too late to fix anything

3. "Overall great work environment"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Paul's TV full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good schedules, Reliable benefits, accumulative vacation time, and Its not a job where you have to handle crowds of people. Calm, friendly environment with fair pay.

Cons

I feel I could have benefit more if I had more "one on one" Training verses Reading out of tons of Text forms and videos, I seams things are better remembered through physical experience ... at least it helps with me.

Advice to Management

I love working here at Paul's TV, Iv had a few experiences where Iv felt like I could of had things like SOP's, and some processes explained more thoroughly. Training is very important. It also depends on how knowledgeable the person doing the training is. I would of enjoyed a "recap" on some training processes since there is a lot to remember at once and some things need time and practice to get it down properly. Everything else is great. The people who I work with, The schedules, and the pay.

"E-Commerce Sales"

Current Employee - E-Commerce Sales in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - E-Commerce Sales in Irvine, CA

Pros

I had a great time working here, made money and got free lunches on Fridays!

Cons

Upper management sucks, they do not listen to you, even though you're a great employee

Advice to Management

You should really try listening to your employees

"Good Environment, Bad Work/Life Balance"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Canoga Park, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Canoga Park, CA

I worked at Paul's TV full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clean environment, meet interesting people, good co-workers, TV's all around you, good employee discounts

Cons

Bad work/life balance (you work from open to close 4-5 days a week from 9:45 am - 9 pm) with no overtime pay, low hourly wage, everyone becomes so stressful that co-workers will begin to stealing your sells to make their quota, you MUST sell at least 2 floor model display tvs per month or you'll be written up and eventually terminated.

Advice to Management

The sales team are human too, not machines.

"New payment plan (again) and still no "change""

I have been working at Paul's TV full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with the people in the store and the furniture partners location as well. Everyone (at least in my location) seems like great people. We get pretty nice discounts but that's all that has interested me since I got my first paycheck. I was given an "upgrade" to my position based on the fact that I was at the store once the store manager left, opposed to hiring someone new in to take the assistant spot.

Cons

1. Being in a higher position, unlike anywhere else, does not mean more money. Only more obligations.

2. Long shifts. I'm unsure what sleep or a life is outside of work. Holiday hours also imply that you may not get a sufficient break away from your job to take a beather.

3. Pay structure changes several times per year. Each pay structure progressively makes it harder to make any type of commission when you're going against your hourly rate worked. 100 hours = NEED to commission on (low) GP margins, over what your hourly rate amounts to. With the GP% commission being 10%, you're lucky to make $20 on one of the "high-end" TVs.

4. Your "bonuses" go towards what they call "short-fall" ... So if you aren't commissioning out, this "bonus" is considered as a "boost" to make it easier on your next pay period to hit commission. I'm sorry, but in the real world, a bonus is something you usually get on top of what you made. Not just some sugar coating on that bitter pill to swallow.

5. You'll be complimented when you add on warranties. Those things that cover little to nothing that would actually go wrong with the television or home theater system. You'll also be complimented if you offer a "complete solution to your customers NEEDS." Listen - these things are all WANTS and DESIRES. None of what we sell is NEEDED. These HDMI cables, let's face it, are the same in the "low end" models as they are in the type of brand we sell here. Don't believe me? Cut the wires open and tell me the real difference.

6. Training was a complete JOKE. The "training specialist" has never actually been on the selling field. They know what they read and just reiterate it to us newbies. All the while, the district and regional managers sit on their computers and cell phones giving little to no input at all. Hardly even able to answer your questions. When you call them for assistance you have to have a full length novel of reasons for your call otherwise they are just disgusted with you for even bothering them. Almost as if we're not meant to call them... For anything.

7. Moving up in the company gives you higher "bonuses" but not a raise in your pay. As an assistant manager, I'm making the same amount as a standard employee... Only I'm expected to do and sell more and questioned on everything.

8. The interview process didn't mention that the hours would be long and that I would struggle to make commission. After selling over $10,000 in product in one day, my commission on that amounted to just over $200. Since the hours I put in that period are over 90, that commission will just get put in my short fall and they'll call it a day. Not having to pay me a single deserved cent above what they feel I'm worth.

9. During our "specials" they strive on telling you NOT to sell what's on special. MANAGEMENT, LISTEN! People aren't buying these because they need them and if they can go somewhere to get what they want at a cheaper price just a different brand, they're going to. Don't encourage me to pull more money from them and SELL them something. Nobody wants to be sold to. They want the trust you preach to us about getting from them, and they want the comfort of making their own decisions. Taking away our "spiffs" on the items that would essentially pay out, to encourage us to go for more expensive non-deal TVs to make the company money is complete b.s!

Lastly
    10. This company makes the appearance of appreciation for what you do but it's underlined with one consistent message. That message is "you aren't amounting to anything, you aren't doing your job, you're becoming worthless." During the training you encourage us not to use the word "but" however, you constantly use it while it appears that you're building us up. Then you use "but" and knock us down.

Advice to Management

Step it up. Be willing to answer our questions without getting disgusted and thinking we're worthless and not amounting to anything because it may have been a "simple answer" for you. Consider making us straight hourly with bonuses and raises instead of this false commission outlook that you keep presenting to us. Raising our hourly only because it's x amount above state minimum and then overworking your employees so they are sure to not hit anything above their rate. Be involved with the future training processes. Don't just ask questions and tell us what to do... Be INVOLVED! Sitting in the back and then critiquing people in front of you, when you aren't willing to perform yourself... That's not even right. You should go through the training while we tell you what to do. Also... Consider having a training specialist who has been in the field. Not someone who has just read several books on customer service and knows how to use a clicker to go through a slide show. There's so much more I could suggest but something tells me... You aren't even listening anyways. Here's to hoping! Cheers.

7. "No real chance to earn commissions"

Former Employee - Senior Sales
    Former Employee - Senior Sales

I worked at Paul's TV full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers very supportive. Some managers are good but most don't care.

Cons

No real chance to make any money unless you either work in one of their major stores in New England or California, or you are willing to completely hoodwink the customer into their extended warranty program (which really does nothing) or sell accessories they don't need. You make more money selling an HDMI cable than a TV.

Management style is to completely brow-beat the sales associate. All "stick" and no "carrot".

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as a valuable resource instead of as a disposable cog.

"Hardly worth the effort."

I have been working at Paul's TV full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When you first start the company - everyone is friendly and laid back. Through time, each employee still remains friendly and assists in helping one-another. Easy to "move up" in the company which appears good on a resume.

Cons

Long hours that don't allow you to ever hit your "commission" earnings. Team leader "bonuses" are applied TOWARDS your short-fall pay to "help" you get above your sales quota and earn a "commission" check. You take on more roles as a senior or leader, but get paid the same amount as a sales associate who's only there to sell a TV. Sure the long hours mean the potential of $1200 bi-weekly (before taxes), but that's not worth a team lead or senior position. Team leaders tend to get egotistical and exude their position by demanding more from his/her employees and not participating in nearly as much since taking on the position. Higher up's demand a lot from you and expect deadlines to be met however unattainable they may be.

Pay structures are currently undergoing changes and employees are not kept in a loop. We're always on edge wondering "what will we get paid this period?" and along with not having much of a life outside of work, we cannot fully depend on what we make to get us through to another week. When you need something (such as a Paul's TV shirt, or business cards,) it's nearly impossible to get. They want you to PAY for your business cards that only help represent the company in the long run.

They put me in a long-distance commute without offering to transfer me to a closer location to where I live, even with an open position in that store. When I asked about the possibility of switching, it was overlooked and ignored.

Advice to Management

Keep your employees in the loop! Supply your employees with proper utilities. I.E: Business cards. Proper sized shirts for your standard dress code that's now being put strictly in place. Offer better incentives to boost moral and drive sales. Don't just say "SELL" and expect us to be ok with it. In order to commission out over the long hours and short-fall, we must sell at least 5 top-model TV's, or 5 TV's with a whole package (Stand, DirecTV, Sound system, etc.) -- Stop telling us the "new pay structure" that you come up with twice a year will benefit us. Like the new one, dropping us to 8-9 an hour, plus small commission amounts. Continuing with long hours, this will only allow us to make the same amount as we do now making 12/hr without commission. You'll never make more than this unless you can perform miracles while selling in low-traffic areas. Think about other retail sales associates and their pay structures. I know that selling phones you can make a base of (minimum) $10/hr PLUS commissions. These range between 20% and 40% depending on the sale.

9. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Senior Sales in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Paul's TV full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to master selling skills and public relations

Cons

none at this time thank you

Advice to Management

Keep up the hard work!

10. "Terrible work place"

Former Employee - Senior Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Paul's TV full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to watch tv all day.

Cons

Hours are illegal and pay is terrible.