Paula's Choice Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 22, 2017

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Paula Begoun

"Great experience! Amazing company."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Paula's Choice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved working at Paula's Choice. My favorite things about this job:

-Dogs in the office!
    -The tech is constantly evolving. The IT team is always rewriting the website to make a better experience for the customers
    -Pluralsight subscriptions available
    -Free skincare products
    -Great work/life balance (IT gets a work from home day a week)
    -Laid back atmosphere, no drama, friendly team
    -Friday happy hours

Also, this company is going to explode. There is a super bright future ahead of them.

Cons

As a relatively inexperienced engineer, it was mildly frustrating to not have as much work as I would have liked to have. I think my energy was a little too high for this company - I was constantly asking for more projects and things to do. On the flip side, the senior developers were pretty busy, often too busy to teach or delegate work. (But they would never say so! Always helpful when I asked questions.)

Advice to Management

If you hire more entry-level IT professionals, try to set aside more time and energy to bring them up to speed, and give them challenging projects. Everybody wins when you do. :D

"No Room to Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Paula's Choice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dog-friendly office, fun co-workers, growing company, good work-life balance if you end up in the right department, occasional morale-building events

Cons

There is no real career ladder here. Just the executive team and the minions--no middle management to speak of. The best you can hope for is to get a "promotion" (just a title change and perhaps slightly more money). Management is focused on the short-term, as they will get paid out after the company is sold in a few months. Managers who have been with the company as it has grown are generally poor leaders; they are not used to managing at a mid-size company. The CEO is known for a leadership style that is often considered belittling. Pay is not market-rate unless you are very lucky. Processes and communication within the company are terrible and have begun to lead to serious business problems. Company morale has dropped considerably over time.

Advice to Management

Stop throwing people at problems. The processes need to be fixed first. Value and implement input from us minions who actually do the work and know the issues better than you do. Not only will we respect you more for it, you'll end up with better work flows, more profits, and happier employees.

"Friendly & Bright"

Former Contractor - 3D Artist in Renton, WA
    Former Contractor - 3D Artist in Renton, WA

I worked at Paula's Choice as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely pleasant work environment surrounded by very friendly people. Competent management.

Cons

Wages were low for a 3D contract, but I was hired just before Christmas with little work experience which was a godsend for me at the time. No other complaints!

Advice to Management

Feels a smidgen too 'corporate', with company meetings that feel cold. This is the view of a very short term worker though.

"Great company"

I have been working at Paula's Choice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing, encourages creativity, great people

Cons

Management. This company needs to train it's managers on how to be effective at all levels

Advice to Management

See above.

"Not a Healthy Company"

Pros

It is a dog friendly office. The location is convenient for public transit. There are a few good restaurants nearby.

Cons

The "old guard" style of management vs a healthy functional management team. As the company has been flipped twice in the last few years, politics is all that matters as long standing management desperately struggles to stay afloat and hang on to their jobs.

This has created terrible communication between departments, in-fighting, extremely unclear priorities (what's said at the all-hands vs what your manager directs you to follow are regularly very disparate and change almost weekly from crisis to crisis), and a general unrelenting decline in morale. It is depressing to come to work after months and years of this organazational chaos. You NEED the dogs in the dog friendly office to get you through some of the days, emotionally.

HR is very inexperienced, and seems overwhelmed by the growth and completely neutered when it comes to being able to discipline management when they step out of line. The culture here is one where many leaders seem under water with their skill level relative to their responsibility. The only management skill that seems to matter is how well you can massage numbers to make the company look good for another sale.

Advice to Management

Get serious about the health of your organization, even if it means crossing Paula to remove old, ineffective managers and allow real, functional leadership to take hold.

"Fast growing company"

I worked at Paula's Choice full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The products were great and something to get behind and feel proud of. Employees received free product. The offices had a very relaxed dog policy which was great

Cons

At the start of my employment, it felt like a small-mid business. Departments had good communication between them and it felt like a family. Flash forward five years and it became a totally different company. The growth was good but departments felt very separated and communication was lacking. Upper management became very political.

"Can be a good fit"

Pros

My department's co-workers make the workplace. Some of the perks can be good: free samples of new products and an employee discount. Other benefits are "average". The company has a dog friendly workplace.

Cons

Management can be frustrating. Paula's culture has changed in the last few years. It has become silo-ed and some departments have become cliquey. Paula's has grown from around 50 to over a 100 in the last two years. Management style and the company's organization haven't caught up.

Pay is lower than the local average for your position. Advancement opportunities within the company can be limited.

Advice to Management

Get pay inline with local business averages. Provide opportunities to advance within the company. Find a way to break down the silos.

"Great experience"

Former Contractor - Quality Control/Regulatory Affairs
    Former Contractor - Quality Control/Regulatory Affairs

I worked at Paula's Choice as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- You get the first peek at all of their new products
    - Lots of really cool company/department activities (dinners, surprise visits from marching bands)
    - My team was full of fun, intelligent people
    - Working in a building that allows dogs is so nice

Cons

- A few of the people I didn't go out of my way to be around weren't so friendly or nice. Probably a pretty standard thing for any company, though.

Advice to Management

Don't change!

10. "Great group of people"

I worked at Paula's Choice full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great group of people makes working a pleasure. Owner is a delight makes you feel like family. Training in multiple departments to encourage growth

Cons

Pet friendly environment may not be suitable for those who aren't dog lovers