Paulus Sokolowski & Sartor Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tony Sartor
1 Rating

1. "Learned a lot in my internship experience"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Warren, NJ
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Warren, NJ

I worked at Paulus Sokolowski & Sartor as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone in the group that I worked with was very willing to work together and communicate. Project managers make sure to expose us to a variety of tasks and are always willing to answer questions to help.

Cons

Depending on the time of year and the amount of projects, there were slow periods where we were encouraged to expand our knowledge of AutoCAD and other programs we used as well as learn more about the company

2. "Land Group"

Pros

entrepreneurial atmosphere; management not over-bearing on day-to-day level

Cons

gloss over substance; lack of senior level technical specialists and general lack of respect for technical expertise

"Great Internship Experience"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Warren, NJ
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Warren, NJ

I worked at Paulus Sokolowski & Sartor as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

There's a very collaborative office environment in which employees from different branches (civil, mechanical, electrical, architectural, etc.) can easily communicate and work together. Project managers do a good job of making sure the interns are exposed to a variety of different tasks within the company.

Cons

You're at the risk of the work flow of the company as a whole - if there's a slow period, you can have several days without work, followed by heavy periods. Since you will be working on several projects at once, you will be forced to balance them appropriately and manage your time well.

Advice to Management

New interns could probably use a half- or whole-day training session to familiarize themselves with the company and the software that is used, although there is merit to learning as you go as well.

"Great Environment"

Current Contractor - Junior Mechanical Engineer in Warren, NJ
    Current Contractor - Junior Mechanical Engineer in Warren, NJ

I have been working at Paulus Sokolowski & Sartor as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I've only worked for PS&S for a few weeks. After reading reviews I wasn't sure what to expect. I found that these reviews do not really portray the company, so I decided to clear the nonsense. In the short time I've been there I found that PS&S has (a):

Relaxed environment
    Helpful, kind, and intelligent staff
    Powerful computers, great IT staff
    Interesting projects
    Competitive compensation and benefits
    Very busy

Cons

As any company there are always some negatives. As far as the MEP/FP department, some of the projects are being handled without clear guidance. The management staff, although competent, struggle to coordinate all the projects at once and in a systematic structure. From what I see, this issue will be resolved with time, as the department is still growing and adjusting.

"PS&S should focus on better personal relationships"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Garden City, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Garden City, NY

I worked at Paulus Sokolowski & Sartor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Nice office.
    2. Some interesting projects to work on.
    3. IT support staff are available on a regular basis to resolve computer issues.

Cons

1. Salesmen make promises to clients without having the staff resources available to complete the projects.
    2. Coworkers consistently badmouth one another and create a negative work environment.
    3. Employees are expected to use certain company software but are not provided with training on how to use it.
    4. Although the company has plenty of work they seem to have problems with collections.

Advice to Management

1, Should build up staff of independent consultants (retirees, staff on maternity leave, etc.) to pull in to work on projects when overloaded so as not to create excessive hardships on employees because salesmen can't say no to additional projects.
    2. Should not place salesmen that don't have technical backgrounds in supervisory positions and just give them a nice title like "Vice President".
    3. Should not sue clients for non-payment of invoices and then pursue additional work with that same client (That advice is based on second hand feedback from an attorney that did business with PS&S)

"Top heavy - No room for advancement"

Former Employee - Designer II in Warren, NJ
    Former Employee - Designer II in Warren, NJ

I worked at Paulus Sokolowski & Sartor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salaries are average and architectural projects are OK.

Cons

Absolutely way to many upper level positions. Leaves very limited room for advancement. Departments are segregated and don't like to collaborate on projects. Benefits available are below average.

Advice to Management

Reduce salaries on upper management or let some of them g;, give raises to the little guys and promote from within the company, it would help to retain good talent.

"Great people, but no compensation for great work."

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Warren, NJ
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Warren, NJ

Pros

The people and management are flexible with any lifestyle.

Cons

No 401k matching
    No raises
    No bonuses
    No space to advance
    Too many managers

"Local Office Management is arrogant and disengaged-"

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist
    Former Employee - Environmental Scientist

Pros

Clean and organized office. Projects were planned well in advance with little problems regarding billable hours. Project timelines were within reason. Dynamic workload.

Cons

Mostly all of my colleagues in the South Branch were dissatisfied with immediate management. Arrogant and abrasive, most- if not all had either left the company or discussed leaving when I was employed there.

Advice to Management

An unhappy work environment does not increase productivity.
    Condescending managers wielding fear and disrespect does not work in the new paradigm- Abuse comes in many forms...I'd rather wash dishes then have the boss I had at the time.