Pavlov Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Mark Scifres

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"This company is growing!"

Current Employee - Manager in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Pavlov Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Expanding business with great people to work with in an exciting market. (Internet services). Nationwide business focus and we have services in Canada too

Cons

None. I 've read some of the critiques of our company and if you are not able to think independently and need a lot of direction this is not a place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Would recommend for experience alone."

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Champaign, IL

I worked at Pavlov Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of hands on training

Lots of good people to work with

Knowledgeable seniors available to answer questions

Very accepting of new employees

Accepting of personal issues that may cause lapse in work performance

Cons

No clear structure in company physics. Everything is manditory from hour zero.
    The final "product" of internet connectivity which is sold - is rushed... This results in twenty million last minute changes that both stresses employees and sets back all other departments. It is a never ending battle to get up a hill that keeps growing. There is another comment on here that says "This company is growing!", which is correct- If you are referring to the growing number of things that get dropped on your plate on a day to day basis which never get finished.

Favoritism dictates promotion. Skill, seniority, experience and common sense lose on all grounds.

They run skeleton crews to save more money, and only hire extra during peak times of the year. This burns out employees very fast. Everyone is replaceable in the end, so the con here is predictable but still a problem. You are replaceable.. Period. I watched 5 of their most intelligent and senior employees get walked out the front door without so much as a blink. This tore down all support and lead to chaos when it came to tasks we did not know how to execute on the call floor. Expect this.

Expect to have the CEO breathing very heavily down your neck at all times.. At first, you will not have this issue. As time passes and you are more noticeable, he will try to drive as many meaningless projects out of you as possible to get you to quit or get them excuses to fire you.

Advice to Management

Set a clear and defined structure of priority on projects. Do not change the task priority based on how often the project manager complains. SLOW.....DOWN.....

Smooth out project processes and provide written steps to them, as opposed to simply saying "get this done".

Define REALISTIC TIMELINES. If you want an idea of how long something will take, let the workers set the timeline. Keep track of that timeline. When they finish, challenge them to do it faster if they have a similar task later down the road instead of firing them.

Employees may be replaceable and trainable to achieve the things you need, but a kingdom built on corpses always sinks. Stop rolling over senior employees, or the day may come when you cannot replace them. The only reason leaders exist is because they have followers. Leaders who take followers for granted find themselves alone very quickly.

3. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Pavlov Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are encouraged to get certifications

Cons

Company is not stable and has a high employee turn over rate

Advice to Management

None

4. "Enjoyable place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Pavlov Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the challenges of serving our customers. There are bright people at this organization and I often think the highlight of my day is working with these folks. I find management approachable. The CEO is really into doing great networks and is more than willing to tackle a tough network challenge. I recommend Pavlov Media to anyone wanting to be part of a great network team and tell them they should consider joining us. I've gotten a few friends to take jobs here because I knew they'd like it. I also enjoy being in the downtown area. Many restaurants, bars, coffee shops, etc. I also have a family and the company has been reasonable in accommodating me.

Cons

I wish I had known about this place earlier. Champaign weather is Midwest weather.

"Toxic and Unstable."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

I worked at Pavlov Media full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pavlov Media works with a lot of different technologies and they are always trying new things. If you want to get exposure and learn some technical skills especially in computer networking its a great launchpad for someone's career.

Cons

This is easily a textbook toxic environment. The instability of the CEO is the major source of strife, inertia and chaos. Layoffs are routine. Even hourly employees can't ignore the reality that Pavlov Media is always struggling to stay afloat. You'll feel a constant state of insecurity if you depend on this job.

Advice to Management

Compel the CEO to leave. Nothing improves long term until he leaves. He simply doesn't have the personality or emotional stability to run the company.

"Good people, awful business model"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

I worked at Pavlov Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

cool technology, good people, decent pay

Cons

The business is built on selling internet service to landlords of multi-dwelling units, so the customers and the users are different people. If the landlord skimps on bandwidth (which most do) the residents get terrible service with nothing tech support can do about it nor can they tell the residents the truth of the situation.

Advice to Management

treat your residents with more respect. Make it a clause of all contracts that any residents must be told the amount of bandwidth for the MDU.

"Very Stressful Environment"

Former Employee - Tech Support/Dispatch in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Tech Support/Dispatch in Champaign, IL

I worked at Pavlov Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I started I had very little networking skills and it was understood by the person that hired me for a tech support position. I got moved to couple different positions and had a very likable manager. Most of my co-workers were very knowledgeable and knew what they were doing. The company made me feel like I was appreciated (in the beginning), always gave me a decent yearly raise, and had a few incentives to keep employees learning learning. IE: paying for classes, paying you back for certifications, gifts around the holidays. The benefits were decent (they changed/ got worse over time), but it was better than not having benefits.

Cons

This place loves micromanagement. "Too many chiefs and not enough Indians" is a phrase I often heard up and down the halls. After a bout a year my manager got a manager and I could tell he was being put under a lot more stress than usual. Eventually, my manager got a manager under his manager. Having another manager brought down the morale of my whole department. People lost offices and everyone got put into one huge room that was very difficult to communicate in.

There was less trust in employees over time and the CEO was constantly overriding decisions that lower level employees should have been making. Throughout my employment at the company I heard almost every one of my co-workers say "If the CEO wasn't here the company would run pretty smoothly."

45 hour work weeks. "The extra hour everyday isn't mandatory, but you have to work it." That probably wasn't the exact phrase, but they did want everyone to work an extra hour every day. If you said you couldn't then management would make you feel bad about it and make you work it anyway. They would say they were doing you a favor by giving you 5 hours of overtime every week. Having extra money is always nice, but I'm guessing most people would rather enjoy their time away from work.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and make investments in them. Let managers do their jobs. Hire people for NOC and pay them what they're worth. You don't need someone with every certification and 10 years of experience (especially for what you're willing to pay them). The good employees suffer because you've given them too many responsibilities.

"Very, very stressful..."

Former Employee - Systems Developer in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Systems Developer in Champaign, IL

I worked at Pavlov Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Relaxed dress code
    -Informal / relaxed work atmosphere
    -Medical / Dental / Life insurance coverage
    -Opportunity to attend tech conferences
    -Opportunity for experience with many different technologies and software frameworks

Cons

-Lack of structure/process within most departments, as well as failure to enforce the over-arching structure between departments, is highly prevalent. This leads to a very stressful work environment, as you can often get conflicting orders between the CEO and his appointed VPs.

-The CEO interrupts work very often for new objectives and unrelated discussion, much of which is highly inappropriate for the workplace.

-Very little opportunity for advancement on the software side.

-Tendency to reward/promote people based on perceived necessity, and not based on actual merit or contributions.

-Tendency to take advantage of salaried employees' time in ways that are wasteful or unnecessary.

-Despite knowing problems ahead of time, management is not always open to preventative maintenance and often does not want to talk about the problem until it is directly costing them money.

Advice to Management

Please treat your employees better; do not fire them over inconsequential disagreements.

Learn to tell the CEO "no" when you disagree with him because you are the only ones who can do so. Show some backbone!

It's just a thought...

9. "A place of growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

I worked at Pavlov Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great place to get learn new skills, sharpen dull ones, and learn to work constant under pressure.

Cons

Compensation was very lackluster. Benefits were pretty good. Management were often not on the same page. Directions changed very often, and usually weren't in the best interest of the business. Offices were cramped and poorly heated and cooled.

Advice to Management

Work together to solve problems, rather than run around in different directions throwing money into the fire.

"Great Place to Learn and Grow!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Pavlov Media full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

* The career opportunities are great too! The company is constantly growing so openings in all of our teams give many internal employees opportunity to shift in to new roles.
    * There is always the ability to make a difference. As the company continues to grow, those who thrive here are ones that can identify issues and propose solutions that work within the constraints of the organization.
    * Working with cutting edge technology is always exciting and employees get to tinker everyday. You aren't just a number here so ideas are shared and you get to see those through to fruition. It's a work environment that encourages innovation and foward-thinking.

Cons

* As a growing company there is constant change. For those who can't handle that, this is not a place for them.
    * Lack of training in some areas. Technology does change at a very rapid pace. Self starters and self taught individuals do well here. While some departments have GREAT training, there are a couple of groups who still have their growing pains and are working on it.