Paxata Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Prakash Nanduri

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great"

Pros

It was a great place to work. Excellent company culture and great product.

Cons

There was really not much to complain about. The company as a whole a joy to work for.

"Prepare for crash landing"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Paxata full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Really awesome people to work with (super smart, funny and fulfilling) --- the only reason the company gets 2 stars, otherwise, it would've been 1
    - Catered lunches (2 days/ week) and stocked kitchen (drinks, snacks and fruit)
    - HQ is in a great business park with great perks (cafeteria, fully loaded gym, pool, sauna, etc)
    - Flexible time off
    - Work remote 1-day/ week

Cons

- Lack of career advancement/growth/opportunity
    - Product challenges
    - Vision varies by executive/ department
    - No female leadership (not a single female above the Director-level)
    - People are dropping like flies (just check out LinkedIn - )
    - Company is REactive (reactive to employees, customers, prospects, vendors) ... not capable of getting ahead of the 'ball' or being proactive, places blame on the 'little guy' and lacks accountability across the board. Leadership Team doesn't even practice the values the company supports but holds other peoples' feet to the fire

Advice to Management

Advice to Leadership: Cut the dead weight and toxicity, MOTIVATE your current workforce, and clean-up your house - until this happens, the company is going to continue to circle the drain, flailing about.

Advice to the Board: Remove the CEO and replace with someone who isn't afraid to act. Reiteration takes far too long and at the expense of people doing the actual work to fund the company. Get more involved, dig deeper than what's offered at the surface

"Pretty exciting but also pretty tough"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Paxata full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's really exciting to be part of creating something new!
    The market definitely is there for data prep and continues to get hotter.
    We have many customers who are getting real value from us and are paying a lot (millions) for our system.
    We have some new partnerships with Microsoft and Accenture that are providing us a lot of opportunities.
    The product continues to get better in terms of capabilities and also quality with every release.
    A lot of great people at the company.

Cons

We've had our share of ups and downs, like any startup.
    We're always trying to do too many things instead of focusing on a couple.
    We've lost some good people who have moved on to other opportunities.
    We are really understaffed for our ambitions.
    We've had product quality challenges although they have gotten better recently.

Advice to Management

Please right size your ambition with the resources you are able to give us. We can't do it all with the number of people we have!

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Newport Coast, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Newport Coast, CA

I worked at Paxata full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hot space with an innovative approach to preparing data for enterprises. Could be a goldmine if executed right and at speed of market.

Cons

CEO is over is head and is a nasty attacker. His refusal to acknowledge the product issues has cost the company many high profile accounts and they jumped ship. The cofounding team is full of it and checked out. It’s amazing they are still in business.

Advice to Management

Replace the CEO and bring in a real product and engineering lead to fix the disaster.

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Paxata full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaboration across all teams, open environment that fosters productive communication and feedback, opportunity to grow, benefits and work/life balance

Cons

Nothing at this time!

"Excellent Company, Great Opportunity"

I have been working at Paxata full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is backed by top tier Investors and appears to be in the midst of an exploding opportunity. Employees are treated like adults and the culture is well balanced between a professional company but still has the feel and perks of working for a start-up. Management is completely transparent with how the company is being run and performing. Work life balance is good and it feels like things are still getting accomplished.

Cons

Not too much here, just the typical items that come with growing fast, new people being added, things break sometimes but they seem to get fixed quickly.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency!

"Great company to work at!"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Paxata full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Promising company with strong funding (Intel, Microsoft Venture, Deutche Telecom, etc.) and great leadership team. The product leads the market space, which this company created. Extremely transparent about everything happening at the company. Face-paced work, but great work / life balance. Over about a year I have only worked overtime one weekend, and even that might not have been necessary. Technical leadership would cut scope first before making people work longer. Two catered lunches a week. Great medical benefits. Smart people. Employees are treated as adults who can manage their own schedule. I usually do over 2 hours of work on my commutes.

Cons

Sometimes some people have very strong opinions, and some head butting happens during design meetings. But then I don't think anyone takes it personally.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and the transparency!

"A great company to work at!"

Current Employee - Director, Test Engineering in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Test Engineering in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Paxata full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paxata has a Great Product incorporating and integrating with the latest technologies in the Big Data / Analytics space. I have really Smart Colleagues and learn something positive from them each day. There are Lots of growth opportunities which is natural in a GOOD startup and you are encouraged and enabled to take those on. We have humble and caring leaders who truly lead by example everyday.

Cons

Nothing specific to list here. Growing pains of a startup growing rapidly in a market space that it created and leads. It means it can get intense as times but definitiely not at the cost of work life balance. One has to be self-driven and motivated to keep with the pace of operation. This is something I would expect at most high growth companies and is not a con personally.
    I felt it worth to call out since sometimes folks are looking for environments which are fairly settled, low intensity routine work. This is not for those folks.

Advice to Management

Stay as committed and transparent as you are.

"Great friendly company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Paxata full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Catered lunches
    Friendly people
    Everyone is extremely smart
    Management actually tries to connect and listen to employees
    My well-being seems like a priority to the managers

Cons

Startup growing pains mostly
    Couple people have really big egos and think everyone should work 'for' them instead of 'with' them. Luckily they're not in management
    Employee reviews are often late

Advice to Management

Don't let those employees run wild and ruin the culture. They are a drag to work with and it seems like people are afraid to speak up and management is afraid to take action unless it's an official review time

"Senior DevOps Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior DevOps Engineer in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Senior DevOps Engineer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Paxata full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm very happy with my working environment. Before I got here, Paxata assembled a very capable army of engineers, CS, SE, and QA staff. These people are unequivocally smart and capable. I have definitely learned a lot from the technical capability of other engineers and almost religious commitment to their art/science since I've been here.

Cons

We're a startup whether we look like it or not. Part of startups is taking on efforts, responsibilities, and roles you didn't expect. This isn't a con, it's the nature of the beast, and just the way steep trajectory roles work. Good Luck.

Advice to Management

Hold the course. We have the magic combo for startups of smart devs, a strong culture, and a really compelling story for customers. Let's double down on those things we do well.