Paxata Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Prakash Nanduri

"Great company to work at!"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Paxata full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Promising company with strong funding (Intel, Microsoft Venture, Deutche Telecom, etc.) and great leadership team. The product leads the market space, which this company created. Extremely transparent about everything happening at the company. Face-paced work, but great work / life balance. Over about a year I have only worked overtime one weekend, and even that might not have been necessary. Technical leadership would cut scope first before making people work longer. Two catered lunches a week. Great medical benefits. Smart people. Employees are treated as adults who can manage their own schedule. I usually do over 2 hours of work on my commutes.

Cons

Sometimes some people have very strong opinions, and some head butting happens during design meetings. But then I don't think anyone takes it personally.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and the transparency!

"A great company to work at!"

Current Employee - Director, Test Engineering in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Test Engineering in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Paxata full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paxata has a Great Product incorporating and integrating with the latest technologies in the Big Data / Analytics space. I have really Smart Colleagues and learn something positive from them each day. There are Lots of growth opportunities which is natural in a GOOD startup and you are encouraged and enabled to take those on. We have humble and caring leaders who truly lead by example everyday.

Cons

Nothing specific to list here. Growing pains of a startup growing rapidly in a market space that it created and leads. It means it can get intense as times but definitiely not at the cost of work life balance. One has to be self-driven and motivated to keep with the pace of operation. This is something I would expect at most high growth companies and is not a con personally.
    I felt it worth to call out since sometimes folks are looking for environments which are fairly settled, low intensity routine work. This is not for those folks.

Advice to Management

Stay as committed and transparent as you are.

"Great friendly company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Paxata full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Catered lunches
    Friendly people
    Everyone is extremely smart
    Management actually tries to connect and listen to employees
    My well-being seems like a priority to the managers

Cons

Startup growing pains mostly
    Couple people have really big egos and think everyone should work 'for' them instead of 'with' them. Luckily they're not in management
    Employee reviews are often late

Advice to Management

Don't let those employees run wild and ruin the culture. They are a drag to work with and it seems like people are afraid to speak up and management is afraid to take action unless it's an official review time

"Senior DevOps Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior DevOps Engineer in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Senior DevOps Engineer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Paxata full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm very happy with my working environment. Before I got here, Paxata assembled a very capable army of engineers, CS, SE, and QA staff. These people are unequivocally smart and capable. I have definitely learned a lot from the technical capability of other engineers and almost religious commitment to their art/science since I've been here.

Cons

We're a startup whether we look like it or not. Part of startups is taking on efforts, responsibilities, and roles you didn't expect. This isn't a con, it's the nature of the beast, and just the way steep trajectory roles work. Good Luck.

Advice to Management

Hold the course. We have the magic combo for startups of smart devs, a strong culture, and a really compelling story for customers. Let's double down on those things we do well.

"Toxic environment"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Cool technologies. Some nice work

Cons

Lots of toxic environment. Employees are political and out to stab each other. Aggressive performance reviews out to get out people who are do the work, but dont know how to play games. People who do work are afraid of the job security because they dont know how to play games.

Advice to Management

Fire the toxic directors. Listen to all employees. All Directors are just fluff. They dont add value. Its the engineers who build the product. So fire the excessive fluff called Directors

"Full stack Engineer"

Current Employee - Full Stack Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Full Stack Engineer in Redwood City, CA

Pros

New technologies. Free lunch a few days of the week. But what do you do the other days ?

Cons

Sweat shop. Aggressive performance management. They hire you and then threaten to fire you and abuse you. They keep reminding you are senior(that is you are overpaid) and remind you you are dispensible and you are lucky to have a job

Advice to Management

Employees need work life balance

"Amazing culture"

I have been working at Paxata full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The leadership team truly cares about the well- being of each employee. The working environment is very flexible and team work is highly encouraged.

Cons

I can't think of many.

"Simply the best place to take your career to the next level."

I have been working at Paxata full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of very smart engineers here but they are really friendly and down-to-earth people. It is an exciting place because we are at the forefront of a new category in Big Data. I have been here for less than half a year and just attended Strata in San Jose and I believe that our product is years ahead in the games. This is a place where the founders of the company actually know your names and have made efforts to know you. I had been working at 4-5 other startups and this is the best startup in my opinions in terms of cultrure and environments. Paxata really is a place of diversity and we have higher ratio of female to male engineers than my previous other startups. Paxata really cares for its people and has a very flexible working schedule. Paxata also has a very reasonable vacation policy (unlimited as you work out the schedule with your supervisor). Best of all is that I have really great manager who is actually smarter than me and opens to my ideas. I also believe that we have really great leaders throughout the organization.

Cons

I have to bring my A games to work everyday. Actually, there is no cons for working at Paxata.

Advice to Management

Please keep doing what you have been doing.

"Great Company - Product, People and Energy"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Paxata full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Paxata about 4 weeks ago as a product manager.

Paxata has THE BEST product in the space (enterprise solution for self-service data preparation), both in terms of solution comprehensiveness and technology employed. If you want to rent a system to crunch a billion rows of data in a schema-less system (i.e. lack of predefined schema) with a simple-to-use GUI that runs on ultra-cool horizontally scalable elastic compute environment (using Spark), Paxata is the only game in town.

Product momentum is amazing. The team (though very small) gets an amazing amount of good quality work done. Practically everyone is walk-on-water type calibre. We have monthly releases and each release is named after a local brewery, where the festivities (revelry) take place after the release. (p.s. : the "merger" picks the brewery and hence the release name).

I love the people and the energy. It is a quintessential startup where things get done at a rapid clip. Everyone is self-driven and charged up cares deeply about the product. Everything I came looking for.

Oh... won't be complete if I skipped:
    1. Free lunches - twice a week
    2. Ping pong table
    3. Amazing coffee (nespresso)
    4. Cool shirts/ t-shirts and stuff
    5. Passes to Strata and other local big data conferences
    6. Book/ Lit reviews
    7. Everyone gets the latest and greatest macbook pro.... three weeks ago, I would have put this in Cons... but now I love my mac. Can't believe I lived without it.
    8. For PMs and less technical folks- App starts in 10 seconds.
    9. Awesome location - RWC downtown... so many places to lunch nearby.
    10. Caltrain access. Some people think this is #1. But I drive.
    11. Bike rack inside the office
    12. Did I mention that the PEOPLE are wicked nice.

Cons

1. Parking. Or lack thereof. Some of us do the parking shuffle (not unlike Spark shuffle) at 5:55 pm from the Jefferson lot to a free (is it?) spot across the building.
    2. Lack of early exercise of unvested options. I have a hunch that the company's stock will do grow rapidly. And I hate that all my cool colleagues will be in AMT hell in a few years.

Advice to Management

Early exercise please.

11. "Fast professional growth"

I have been working at Paxata full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team is just fantastic. The proportion of highest-caliber people here is very loaded. The office has a lot of positive energy and the team moves fast. I've grown in my technical skills at a pace only outmatched by when I first joined the industry (when my learning curve was obviously steeper).

Everyone works hard, pushes one another and has fun with each other. More experienced teammates help mentor the younger ones. It's truly an enjoyable place to work.

Cons

With the speed of innovation, it's easy to get lost with some rapidly-developing features. It takes a lot of initiative to make sure you're aware of all the changes happening.

Advice to Management

Solidify expectations and social protocols for information flow. Business and technical inputs need a low barrier for reconciliation, so while I think the "system" works for us right now, the challenge increase as we grow.