PayPal Reviews

Updated Jun 2, 2020

3.8
  1. Featured Review

"Amazing Experience, Great People"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at PayPal full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Opportunities to learn lots of different technologies. In the time I was there, I worked on an application team, operations team, development team and a security team. It kept me interested as I maxed out my learnings at each assignment. The people are amazing. World class engineers everywhere. I really enjoyed working with some of the best in the industry. The leadership team really cares about the employees, they care about the customers. They truly value their people.

Cons

Promotions were difficult. Consistently rated in the top 2 tiers (when there were 5) and in or near the top tier (when it was reduced to 3). Just could never get that promotion. Was pacified with huge raises and bonuses, however.

PayPal2020-05-05
  2. "very good"

I have been working at PayPal full-time

Pros

product is king. this is a good company with work life balance

Cons

politics are always there. people need to put work first

PayPal2020-02-20

"Good company for mid-late career"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent WLB for most, Wellbeing is actually one of our core values. Opportunity to collaborate across multiple teams but everyone belongs to a relatively small team. Teams have been trying to be more agile and forming hybrid teams. Recently upgraded several collaboration tools (Teams, Slack, Jira since 2019) Excellent benefits overall. Great company for parents with small children, as the company culture is very flexible with time. SJ campus have nice common areas to hangout, and 2 awesome cafes, my favorite is Indian food in Cafe 17, they have a proper clay oven!

Cons

Culture is still heavily based on face to face interaction, and often its difficult to work done remotely. (Though the Covid19 situation is forcing people to adapt. Engineering teams gets things done, but processes are somewhat sloppy. Some engineers who have been here a while are grumpy, stubborn, resistant to change. Performance review and feedback execution is not good, though there is good process and programs (Step Up) are in place. Managers in my org are too involved in project management rather than developing their teams. Some have too many direct reports (10+). Frequent reorgs have created some level on panic in workers, especially those with work visas in US. Communication with overseas teams can be challenging sometimes because of timezone difference.

PayPal2020-05-27
  4. "Decent tech gig"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at PayPal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Its tech, so appropriate pay and benefits

Cons

Inconsistent and unfocused leadership. They will never be Square or Apple Pay.

PayPal2020-05-14
  5. "Corporate environment has really gone downhill."

Former Employee - Information Security Engineer

I worked at PayPal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay for Tech positions is good. There are some great people scattered in various groups.

Cons

The Information Security group is very cut-throat and not a fun environment to work in. It is full of unnecessary fire drills and inconsistent, temperamental leadership. Roughly half of the 2nd line InfoSec group, from CISO on down, do not care about their employees in the least. Managers will smile and lie to your face then do the opposite. Very unprofessional managers will openly mock former employees and expect you to laugh along at their horrible jokes lest ye be next. Last year they shrunk cubes and banned personal items on desks. Personal items must be kept in a bank of lockers so that it is easier to walk people out as they are terminated. InfoSec has constant "reorgs" to get rid of employees(Often more than once a year). Management complains that they can't find good employees, but the reality is, they probably should be taking a long look at their own management styles instead.

PayPal2020-05-26
  6. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conshohocken, PA

I have been working at PayPal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent leadership, great benefits, great culture

Cons

Tough to move up depending on the department

7. "Had a great time"

Former Employee - Software Engineer-II in Timonium, MD

I worked at PayPal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work life balance. RSU and ESPP were great. Health care excellent.

Cons

Nothing to put for cons

8. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at PayPal full-time

Pros

- Great growth potential - Was taught invaluable technical skills - Built a career based on the skills I learned at PayPal

Cons

- Responsibilities eventually out grew my compensation

9. "Great Place"

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PayPal full-time

Pros

Lots of awesome tech developed here. Career growth is easy for highly technical and motivated oeople

Cons

Giant company. Lots of red tape to get through. Development and shipping software can be slow.

PayPal2020-05-07

"Solid Company To Work For"

Former Employee - Chargeback's Agent in Omaha, NE

I worked at PayPal full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

PayPal was a very stable environment. I worked there for 6 plus years and had no real complaints.

Cons

A bit heavy on corporate focus and not as employee focused, but I have heard that has changed in the last year or two

PayPal2020-05-03