PayPal Reviews | Glassdoor

PayPal Reviews

Updated February 25, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance - but then it's an employee thing as well (in 89 reviews)

• Much better these days with recent re-orgs (in 42 reviews)

"Paypal credit Customer service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at PayPal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

10x4 shift and extra words to make 5 or more

Cons

They promote children to supervisor positions and wonder why there are so many issues with misconduct in management. My supervisor took smoke breaks and sent emails. She threw parties and solicited services from her teammates while drinking during my one on one and after telling her i was uncomfortable with her behavior i was separated from the company 3 days later.

Advice to Management

Micromanage your supervisors half of them are missing in action because if you need assistance you call ica to answer questions so the only thing they do is send emails talk about eachothers supervising skills and take 50 smoke breaks a day. To make it look as if they are actually doing work they will fire whoever doesnt fit their brand or brown nose regardless of performance.

"You are lost here"

Former Employee - Group Product Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Group Product Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at PayPal (More than a year)

Pros

1) Compensation and great work life balance are the main reasons to work for PayPal.

2) With a new board thanks to the work of an activist shareholder who also was also instrumental in shaking up earlier management and board there is a new ray of hope and accountability for the future.

3) Risk management is the only place where things are still happening.

Cons

1) More PMs than engineers. So if you are a PM your either cranking out ppts or making cases to get engineers.

2) Strategy is tops down (Snr. VPs and above). Everyone else is a worker bee trying to perform on an already defined roadmap.

3) You almost never directly present to leadership and they never talk to you. Like most traditional large corporations, you do the work and its presented by your manager or his/her manager.

4) Bottoms up innovation yields pats on the back and awards but is never funded to see the light of day.

5) Way more political to an extent that even leaders are afraid of making decisions

Advice to Management

Empathize with your employees and work on enhancing the culture not just the product

"Extremely political enviornment"

I worked at PayPal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule , average compensation and benefits. The pay for engineers appear to be ok.

Cons

very political, little appreciation for hard work and accountability . They make employees to compete in a very unhealthy way. There is little concern over employee's happiness and career growth.

Advice to Management

Take care your employees

"Terrible Place to work"

Former Employee - Risk Agent in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Risk Agent in Chandler, AZ

I worked at PayPal (Less than a year)

Pros

Flex time and PTO, 401k and bebefits

Cons

Management is clueless about the departments they work in. High turnover. Constantly firing large groups and re-hire new ones. Management (Team Leads) constantly gossip and promote favorites with little experience and call it mentoring.

Advice to Management

Look at the turnover, the problem isn't the employees, it's your management team. Don't get a bad reputation in the industry. PayPal is better than that.

"Back-stabbing culture"

Former Employee - Senior Data Analyst in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Data Analyst in San Jose, CA

I worked at PayPal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

nice office space, choice of 2 cafeterias, decent benefits and pay

Cons

terrible culture, employees who spend time self-promoting are the ones who thrive. If you spend your time working instead of making alliances, you are screwed. There has been an exodus of capable people in the last 2-3 years.

Advice to Management

Change culture and promote based on work merits and now who is connected to whom.

Aug 19, 2016 – Chief Learning Officer

Thanks for taking time to comment on your experiences at PayPal. Change in any organization requires engagement, transparency, responsibility, and time; and the more significant changes increase ... More

"No College Degree? Don't Work hard?No Problem: Popularity Contest at its Best"

Current Employee - Policy in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Policy in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of parking, clean gym, easy location to get to

Cons

Directors and Managers are highly political. I have seen three AWFs with no college educations get hired one simply due to politics (popularity contest). We had a college educated AWF serve our team for a year and did not get hired on because she worked too hard and did not participate the the B.S. politics. She deserved to get hired on as she put our small team on the map and added tremendous value.

Advice to Management

Think critically when hiring Talent. Diversity is not just based on skin color, sex, sexual preference but also introverts add value. Introverts tend to keep their heads down and work hard but they don't excel in politics. Please do your job and think critically when deciding to hire an AWF. A "good fit" does not equate a hard worker. Are we at PayPal to hang out and talk all day or to work hard and produce numbers for our teams and the company as a whole???

"Poisoned Chalice"

Current Employee - Customer Solutions Agent in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Solutions Agent in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at PayPal (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is somewhat competitive for new employees - higher than most of the older employees. The benefits are also great - $.25 Soda, gym, 401K and matching, Employee Discounted Stock, Med/Dental/Vision, and a game room - almost all available from day 1. PayPal is the king of online payments, so you also have a lot of job security as long as you stay on the good side you supervisor (even if you NEVER hit metrics!).

Cons

PayPal tries to put up a facade of a company that lets successful people thrive and innovate. This may be true for the non-call center position, but it's definitely fool's gold at the call centers. It's all about who you know rather than how well you do your job. If you're well liked by management, they will essentially get you the schedule and position that you're looking for. If you fall into disfavor, look forward to skipped one-on-one meetings (required weekly coaching meetings that help YOU improve with your manager), low yearly ratings, strict enforcement and harassment, no promotion and/or moving out of the department, write ups, and possibly even termination. I have seen people get fired for absolutely BS reasons. There are rare opportunities to move up, but most people try to move sideways off the phones, which gets you stuck there for 6+ months.

There is also a culture of misinformation and deception both to employees and customers. Managers regularly withhold information or straight up lie. For a company that supposedly focuses on being transparent with customers and employees, they fall short. A fun lie is that "PayPal has never been hacked." While it is true that there has not been an attack that has successfully taken large amounts of data (as far as PayPal knows), ALL systems are hackable - it's a matter of how fast you detect, catch, and expel the invader. We also had to regularly lie about "system undergoing maintenance" when something would crash or a bug was plaguing the system. While technically true in the sense that engineers/techs would be updating the system to fix these, it implies that the bugs/outages are intentional - which is definitely intentional deception.

Also in the 3 years that I worked here, I was always one of the top performers and even received the top rating for each yearly review (Exceeds Most), yet cumulatively I received only 7.5% raises. One of those raises was from getting a slight promotion, that they ended up giving to ALL customer service agents less than 6 months later.

Advice to Management

Focus more on retaining your top talent. We are an ambitious. There is a reason that I've seen my fellow top performers consistently leave and get hired for more money elsewhere. You are not doing enough to make sure that they are promoted first and rewarded proportionally for their effort.

Jul 26, 2016 – Senior Director, Risk & Financial Operations

Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback, we rely on this to help us understand how we are performing and what we can do to improve. You have raised a number of concerns that you have ... More

"Avoid At All Costs"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at PayPal (More than 5 years)

Pros

The gym is pretty nice. I have nothing else to put here but need to write this to meet the 20 word minimum.

Cons

Everything else is terrible. Middle Management is concerned only with building their fiefdoms. Rather than work together, managers will sabotage the work of others if they feel threatened or overshadowed. This is not a company that you want to go to if you want to work to make things better or have any ideals beyond making your manager look good in PayPal's Game of Thrones managerial culture.

Not only that, but every single business process internally is broken. The company runs everything on rushed artificial deadlines, resulting in tech-debt ridden software that is in constant need of replacement. When it does get replaced, it's replaced by yet another rushed out and tech-debt ridden solution. This is compounded by poor hiring standards resulting in sub-standard developers writing terrible code with little oversight and no code review. But who has time to review code when this feature needs to be rushed out by tomorrow?

There are so many better companies to work for out there that there's no reason to come here. Leaving was one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. I look back on my time in horror. It's like having left an abusive relationship. I still find myself stopping, shuddering, and then releasing a huge sigh of relief that I no longer work here.

Advice to Management

The best thing you could all do for PayPal would be to quit. Preferably at the same time so your replacements don't contract any hint of the politically toxic culture you've created.

Jul 7, 2016 – VP, Talent

Wow. It sounds like leaving was the really the right decision for you and I applaud you for taking that step. I have a fundamental leadership philosophy that people should love their work. We ... More

"Not a place for motivated, intelligent people. Only Sheeple"

Current Employee - Account Manager in La Vista, NE
    Current Employee - Account Manager in La Vista, NE

I have been working at PayPal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It can appear like a good place to work, but appearances can definitely be misleading.

Cons

Most of the people in lower-management have little to no experience or education. PayPal loves to promote from within, this makes for many inexperienced and not actually motivated "leaders" that really seem to only care about their pay and sabatical. They do not seem to have any motivation to keep PayPal on a good track doing the right thing. Already this is evident in the lawsuits against PayPal, some with non-disclosure agreements and some like the PayPal credit settlement. If the problem isn't addressed and a better HR policy/management in place, PayPal is set to be "old-money", because the track they are on, is not a good one.

Advice to Management

Look into how the "big-banks" actually failed, then weed-out the self-motivated corruption within PayPal. Or be prepared to shut your doors within the next decade.

11. "Customer Service"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at PayPal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Coffee, and soda's are .25

Cons

Lies to employees, moves shifts, doesn't promote.

Advice to Management

get new management.

Showing 142 of 2,009 reviews