PayScale Account Executive Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
PayScale President & CEO Mike Metzger
Mike Metzger

Pros
  • Work/Life Balance: After years of working 60 (in 15 reviews)

• Great people, feel like I am doing the right thing by our clients as the product is AMAZING (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Pioneer Square is transitioning (in 3 reviews)

• Their heart is in the right place and mostly it works out (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Company I've Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked for 2 Fortune 50 companies in my career and PayScale hands down runs their business better than either of them. Wonderful collaborative culture, best leadership in the biz, plenty of room for growth, forward thinking and innovative CEO. It is the hardest sales job you will ever have, but you will hear from any leader here: If you can sell at PayScale, you can sell literally anywhere. So even if your career path doesn't indicate that you retire here, it will certainly look great on your resume and open many other doors for you down the road. Wonderful benefits coverage, unlimited PTO, Happy Hour every Friday of the month, Fido Friday once a month, lots of team outings and activities such as Mariners games and local bites etc.

The company core values aligned nicely with my person core values, so it fit perfectly for me. However- not for everyone. So if you are a true sales person, than this actually won't detour you, but rather, motivate you to be accountable. You must be willing to challenge yourself to be the best 'conceptual' sales person you can be. This is not a transactional sale. We have seen new reps come in thinking they will kill it because 'you killed it at your last company' until you realize it is unlike anything you have ever sold and is a much more complex sales process. Rarely anyone comes here with a comp background, so you must be an open minded candidate ready to start from scratch with Comp 101 training and a lot of collaboration from your peers and leadership. You will have all the support you need to succeed, but you MUST BE COACHABLE and willing to be ok with the fact it may take you 1 year to be fully proficient in this role. If you can handle all this- you are a great fit.

Cons

Not Many. We are a compensation company. Therefore the compensation structure is setup by the best in the business- the people that actually do this for a living. Very high risk high reward environment with low base, but very high commission earnings potential- and for good reason. You will get out of this job, exactly what you put in, and the company structured their comp plan this way on purpose. This is not a job to just come in and ride your base salary. It will push you to work extremely hard to close business. Do not waste your time applying if you aren't willing to challenge yourself- be ready to fail (because you will more than once)- pick yourself back up and challenge yourself again without missing a beat. Those are the employees that succeed in this role, and we love it here!

Advice to Management

Management is awesome here. Best leaders in the biz. Forward thinking and innovative. Our job is comp, and ee engagement. So, naturally, they have a pretty good pulse on their workforce. When they notice something is off, they will always work to make it right. No company is perfect, but you cannot ask for more than that.

"Leadership and Values"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its rare to find a company where the values of the leadership, the business and the product match your own, but that's what I've found at PayScale. Fairness, transparency and a modern analytical approach to business. Commitment and intention behind every move our leadership takes us in gives the employees a sense of trust. Performance is highly rewarded and recognized. Fun and family oriented culture. You'll feel like you're coming to work to hang out with your best friends very quickly. Diversity is celebrated here.

Cons

The location is both a pro and a con. Fun to be down by the stadiums in SODO but also can be crazy with games and lack of parking.

Advice to Management

PE backing causes emphasis on sales which has benefited the company and made us all think strategically about how we want to differentiate ourselves from the growing number of competitors in our space. However we need to keep investing in our technology and data to keep our edge.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at PayScale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People, work environment is laid back and fun

Cons

Because of laid back environment and growth management has little to no time to work with new employees, thus making it impossible to be successful without a little guidance.

Advice to Management

Management needs to take the time to work with their employees to help them learn the software and expectations, instead of playing the blame game when they have clearly messed up.

PayScale Response

May 8, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for the feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to write a review. In 2016 we significantly grew our sales organization, hiring close to 40 Account Executives. The training ... More

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale (Less than a year)

Pros

- Fun Culture
    - Great coworkers
    - Incredible career progression opportunity

Cons

- Training schedule can sometimes not be clearly defined
    - Stress can sometimes trickle down

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best things about this company is the people! PayScale does a great job of hiring wonderful people to be around, and it actually makes you want to come to work. This is definitely a solution sales process, and selling to HR can be a frustrating process at times. That being said, the product is revolutionary, and when a client sees the value it makes all the "no's" worth it. We are empowering employers and employees to have fact based conversation around pay, and it feels great!

Cons

I wouldn't say there are many. If you are looking for rigid structure this probably isn't the best environment, but if you are an independent thinker who is looking to make an impact it's great!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, and continue to give managers training on how to be great managers!

"I LOVE this job and this company"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This place is truly a place to shine as a salesperson, and any role for that matter, if you put in the work and are open to learning. People are invited to collaborate on company initiatives regardless of tenure and the executive team is as open and welcoming as any in the world (i.e. the executive team dressed as Star Wars characters for the company kickoff). I am unique in that I left the company for a new opportunity after nearly 2 years, and within weeks I knew that I needed to come back. I was welcomed back with open arms and haven't been treated any differently, in-fact my opinion on the company and its plans for the future have been welcomed as much as ever.

Beyond the sales environment where I work, the culture of the company overall is similar to a family in every sense of the word. My best friends work alongside me. My manager is respectful, smart, and open to all feedback. The company invests its dollars in the office space and the people AND in the product & support itself. This company is my second home and I love every element of this home.

Cons

We don't sell cars, we don't sell toilet paper, we sell compensation solutions for organizations and that takes finesse and skill. If you want a transactional sale or if you're not open to learning, then this isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Keep up the transparency and push for fairness. Keep up the culture. Always be PayScale, through and through.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Just a great place to work with great culture. While the company is very concerned with growth and being successful, employee success and work life balance comes first. This is not a place for a masochist, they won't work you to death, and encourage you to work at a pace and style that is most effective to you, and rarely intervene in that. The people here sincerely care about one another, and our relationships with managers are unrivaled (managers even consistently get invited to weddings). The work hard play hard attitude is definitely present, and the culture is youthful (yes we drink a lot of beer) but it rarely interferes with our ability to consitantly hit our numbers. I just love it here.

Cons

Sales can be stressful, as a company in growth mode the goals and quotas do increase, which is difficult at times. The transition between teams (especially account development representative to account executive) can be clunky at times, but also allows a lot of possibility. Personally I went from zero sales experience to consistently hitting my numbers as a full account executive in just under 14 months, because of the strength of the ADR program.

Advice to Management

Figure out the ADR situation. The right ideas are there, but the execution is a bit off. The ADR job is very difficult and mind numbing, and the training is fairly repetitive. Need a bit more clear and honest communication. Overall great though.

"A silly little company"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

Pros

cool office. you can bring your dog to work sometimes. they are also really good at getting current employees to leave positive reviews on Glassdoor. if you are one of the 3 sales people who ever actually hit quota, you can make good money for the work.

Cons

if you are an experienced sales person, stay away! the mid level management are only interested in completely inexperienced people, so they can feel like they are smart and really good sales people themselves. the sales management team is full of big egos and over inflated opinions of their own abilities. Listening to them "train" on how to sell, is like going back to the 6th grade and then receiving the lesson plan from a fifth grader. it is a total joke, they confuse being able to drink at your desk or "kick it with the bros" for being a good place to work...because they have no corporate experience outside of payscale. managements egos are fragile, and they are easily intimidated by people who are new and try to provide input that may be smarter, more insightful, or anything they didn't think of ( even though ALL OF MANAGEMENT blows on about how "they want your feedback to grow and become even more like awesome"). They also play favorites... big time! if you aren't a brown noser and if you are not willing to tell an inexperienced self entitled millennial that he is the best sales person in the universe and that you ONLY have stuff to learn, you wont make it. all of their sales people either come straight out of college with no work experience or from the food and beverage industry. this is by design, management can hire people like this, compare themselves to these types of hire, and then pat themselves on the back and give each other gold stars for being "awesome" sales people and "dynamic leaders".

Senior leadership is smart, they know the theory of how to run a business; but, they are totally disconnected from the reality of what happens in their lower levels. part of the culture at this company, is loving the culture of this company. they say they want to "grow" but are more concerned with keeping the childish frat boy "start-up" culture then actually running a business. By the way, this company has been around for 15 years! its NOT A START UP!! but, try telling any of the kids that work there this fact, they will disagree out of sheer ignorance of what the term even means because... you guessed it, they lack ANY real corporate experience. they even wasted I don't know how many tens of thousands of dollars venture capital dollars building a playground on the first floor with bleachers, a bar, air hockey, a drinking game taped to the floor and all of the other frat boy amenities any child from Denny's would LOVE!

Advice to Management

forget your stupid "culture". grow up and hire real managers that know how to scout and recruit REAL sales talent. stop hiring kids, and promoting the person that did better compared to a bunch of kids that only cared about getting paid to get drunk, the free food and being able to bring their parents dog to work once in a while to begin with.

PayScale Response

Jan 13, 2016 – CEO

I appreciate the feedback no matter how hard it is to hear. At PayScale we have made a set of conscious choices about how we grow our sales team and the kind of company culture we want to build ... More

"Awesome Career Opportunity"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dynamic work force that is flexible with your needs. This company really believes in working hard and playing hard. If you bust your butt, you will be rewarded. I can honestly say I am fortunate that I work at a place that allows for endless growth and advancement.

I have been working here for almost a year and in that 1 year I have made more money, and have had more fun than I have ever had at any other job in the past.

Cons

No real cons to this company. If you aren't comfortable with working hard or a growing "late stage" start up this may not be for you... I'm not sure who wouldn't want that though.

Advice to Management

Keep putting the people first. As long as the company keeps investing in the people (which there are no signs of them not) there will be continued growth and revenue will keep rising.

"Goal Oriented, Progressive and Innovative"

Current Employee - Account Executive II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive II in Seattle, WA

Pros

The organization is constantly looking for new ways to innovate in a space not know for strategic thinking, which in turns helps the current employees. With an innovative organization, they value every single employee's, client's and community's opinions, as they are constantly trying to improve and advance. This has created so many opportunities for current employees and has created a family atmosphere with colleagues.

Cons

With so much always going on in a growing organization, and change happening on a constant basis, some strategies have not had a chance to see if they really work or if they should continue down certain paths.

Advice to Management

Give time for different strategies to take place and possibly intermingle the teams a bit more. Other than that, PayScale has been a wonderful place to work and I look forward to many more years with the company if you'll have me.