PayScale Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
PayScale President & CEO Mike Metzger
Mike Metzger

Pros
  • Work/Life Balance: After years of working 60 (in 15 reviews)

• Great people, feel like I am doing the right thing by our clients as the product is AMAZING (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Pioneer Square is transitioning (in 3 reviews)

• Their heart is in the right place and mostly it works out (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Company I've Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked for 2 Fortune 50 companies in my career and PayScale hands down runs their business better than either of them. Wonderful collaborative culture, best leadership in the biz, plenty of room for growth, forward thinking and innovative CEO. It is the hardest sales job you will ever have, but you will hear from any leader here: If you can sell at PayScale, you can sell literally anywhere. So even if your career path doesn't indicate that you retire here, it will certainly look great on your resume and open many other doors for you down the road. Wonderful benefits coverage, unlimited PTO, Happy Hour every Friday of the month, Fido Friday once a month, lots of team outings and activities such as Mariners games and local bites etc.

The company core values aligned nicely with my person core values, so it fit perfectly for me. However- not for everyone. So if you are a true sales person, than this actually won't detour you, but rather, motivate you to be accountable. You must be willing to challenge yourself to be the best 'conceptual' sales person you can be. This is not a transactional sale. We have seen new reps come in thinking they will kill it because 'you killed it at your last company' until you realize it is unlike anything you have ever sold and is a much more complex sales process. Rarely anyone comes here with a comp background, so you must be an open minded candidate ready to start from scratch with Comp 101 training and a lot of collaboration from your peers and leadership. You will have all the support you need to succeed, but you MUST BE COACHABLE and willing to be ok with the fact it may take you 1 year to be fully proficient in this role. If you can handle all this- you are a great fit.

Cons

Not Many. We are a compensation company. Therefore the compensation structure is setup by the best in the business- the people that actually do this for a living. Very high risk high reward environment with low base, but very high commission earnings potential- and for good reason. You will get out of this job, exactly what you put in, and the company structured their comp plan this way on purpose. This is not a job to just come in and ride your base salary. It will push you to work extremely hard to close business. Do not waste your time applying if you aren't willing to challenge yourself- be ready to fail (because you will more than once)- pick yourself back up and challenge yourself again without missing a beat. Those are the employees that succeed in this role, and we love it here!

Advice to Management

Management is awesome here. Best leaders in the biz. Forward thinking and innovative. Our job is comp, and ee engagement. So, naturally, they have a pretty good pulse on their workforce. When they notice something is off, they will always work to make it right. No company is perfect, but you cannot ask for more than that.

"Great!"

Current Employee - Account Representative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People and culture is great, work is important

Cons

no good parking around the building

3. "Things left to be desired"

Former Employee - Customer Care in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Care in Seattle, WA

I worked at PayScale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PayScale does provide a solid work/life balance and has a friendly and open environment. Career growth is quite achievable across all teams if someone desires to do so. People at the end of the day do care for each other on a personal level.

Cons

PayScale has made strides, however, problems exist that make the future questionable. Biggest issue is that mid-level to upper level management are all homegrown and have very minimal experience outside of PayScale. An echo chamber has been created so that the rank and file are "taught the ways" by their manager, in the same way that their manager learned it 5+ years ago. This has stagnated innovation and outside the box thinking. Mid-level managers need to be hired from outside the org to bring in fresh thinking and foster growth.

Another area of concern would be the relationship between sales and service. Anecdotally and from experience, sales members are pushed to sell by any means necessary without repercussions - once the sale is made, there is no incentive to care if the client actually succeeds. CS teams get saddled with unrealistic expectations from customers and are then held to the fire when customers are unhappy. CS mgmt needs to be involved in the sales process in order to properly communicate what will ACTUALLY happen post-sale and qualify if the prospect will be a good customer. Sales and CS need to have similar "skin in the game" incentives. Bottom line - it's OK to say no to the prospect and not sell if the fit isn't there. Don't just sell because they'll say yes.

Advice to Management

Promote from within, but only after due diligence. Tenure doesn't mean they will make a good mid-sr level manager. Figure out the Sales/CS relationship as that is the major roadblock to future success.

"Leadership and Values"

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its rare to find a company where the values of the leadership, the business and the product match your own, but that's what I've found at PayScale. Fairness, transparency and a modern analytical approach to business. Commitment and intention behind every move our leadership takes us in gives the employees a sense of trust. Performance is highly rewarded and recognized. Fun and family oriented culture. You'll feel like you're coming to work to hang out with your best friends very quickly. Diversity is celebrated here.

Cons

The location is both a pro and a con. Fun to be down by the stadiums in SODO but also can be crazy with games and lack of parking.

Advice to Management

PE backing causes emphasis on sales which has benefited the company and made us all think strategically about how we want to differentiate ourselves from the growing number of competitors in our space. However we need to keep investing in our technology and data to keep our edge.

"Conflicting Priorities"

Former Employee - Compensation Professional II in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Compensation Professional II in Seattle, WA

I worked at PayScale full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People are very friendly and there are a lot of opportunities to socialize at company sponsored events. The work space is fun and promotes collaboration, though it can get noisy. The exec team keeps staff updated on company progress, is committed to the mission of pay transparency and modernizing comp, plus they've recently invested in leadership coaching.

Cons

There is a war at PayScale between the sales team and the services teams. The sales team is pushed to make quota (not uncommon), but is not held accountable to anything they sell. As a result, a lot of new accounts come through with unrealistic expectations of what the service team can deliver on. When these accounts inevitably cancel or don't renew, the account managers pay the price while the account executives are enjoying a beach somewhere at President's Club. Leadership says they want to improve customer renewals, but turn a blind eye to the fact that any attempts to renew are that much harder when what was promised to the customer isn't something covered by services (or is out of scope of the subscription). CSMs are heavily penalized when accounts cancel, which has led to resentment toward the sales team and leadership in general.

Advice to Management

Sales should be held accountable to services, not the other way around. You can't have it both ways - pushing sales teams to do whatever it takes to close a deal and then expect your account managers to not only renew that deal, but increase the contract value. If sales continues to over promise what the services teams can't deliver, you will have a tough time improving renewals and MRR. Instead of adding headcount to sales, which covers two whole floors of the building, try hiring more account managers and give them the tools they need to be successful. It's no surprise that many of the positive reviews of the company come from Account Executives and not from people on your Customer Success Teams.

"Breath of Fresh Air"

Current Employee - Account Development Representative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Development Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The proper balance of transparency and performance-based compensation
    -Phenomenal culture based around support, consistent feedback, and collaboration
    -Work-life balance is valued very highly, as evidenced through unlimited PTO and benefits

Cons

There is a lot of autonomy in sales, which translates to minimal training. However, this encourages a can do attitude and mentality to ask for help, which is cultivated and celebrated.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at PayScale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People, work environment is laid back and fun

Cons

Because of laid back environment and growth management has little to no time to work with new employees, thus making it impossible to be successful without a little guidance.

Advice to Management

Management needs to take the time to work with their employees to help them learn the software and expectations, instead of playing the blame game when they have clearly messed up.

PayScale Response

May 8, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for the feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to write a review. In 2016 we significantly grew our sales organization, hiring close to 40 Account Executives. The training ... More

"Failing Fast"

Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I worked at PayScale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a good company if you are young and inexperienced and want to learn some skills.

Cons

Despite being a compensation company, pay is about 20% less than elsewhere.
    Inexperienced middle management in sales.
    I.T. is useless. No standard equipment, non-helpful helpdesk. Outtages weekly with no information about when things may be back up. It makes for a lot of cancelled appointments and missed commissions.
    The floor plan is open which is great in theory but it makes for VERY VERY loud sales floors. Customers frequently will ask for you to call back at a quieter time.
    It's not a One company feeling. Sales deals with sales. Tech deals with tech. Very little interdepartmental work.
    No parking. Easiest parking is $10 a day at a parking garage. They don't subsidize it either so it's an additional cost each day to consider.
    During the summer, leaving can be very difficult since it is near Safeco Field

Advice to Management

Go back to what made you a good company and look at the higher ups that are making people leave.

PayScale Response

Feb 6, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

We appreciate the candid feedback as it gives us good guidance on areas for improvement. I do feel it is important to clarify on a couple of inaccuracies. First is that we aim to pay our sales ... More

"A great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Good benefits
    Working with great people
    Great work/life balance & company events
    Plenty of interesting problems to solve
    Great office location

Cons

Still some pain bringing some legacy systems up to modern standards. It's getting there, but we're not done yet.

"Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, feel like I am doing the right thing by our clients as the product is AMAZING. Feel we truly "help the world".

Cons

Middle managers are not very experienced. That is not always a negative thing though.

Advice to Management

Keep caring, keep listening, and improving where you can.