PayScale Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
PayScale President & CEO Mike Metzger
Mike Metzger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/Life Balance: After years of working 60 (in 17 reviews)

• Great people, feel like I am doing the right thing by our clients as the product is AMAZING (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The sales team is pushed to make quota (not uncommon), but is not held accountable to anything they sell (in 4 reviews)

• Their heart is in the right place and mostly it works out (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Company I've Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked for 2 Fortune 50 companies in my career and PayScale hands down runs their business better than either of them. Wonderful collaborative culture, best leadership in the biz, plenty of room for growth, forward thinking and innovative CEO. It is the hardest sales job you will ever have, but you will hear from any leader here: If you can sell at PayScale, you can sell literally anywhere. So even if your career path doesn't indicate that you retire here, it will certainly look great on your resume and open many other doors for you down the road. Wonderful benefits coverage, unlimited PTO, Happy Hour every Friday of the month, Fido Friday once a month, lots of team outings and activities such as Mariners games and local bites etc.

The company core values aligned nicely with my person core values, so it fit perfectly for me. However- not for everyone. So if you are a true sales person, than this actually won't detour you, but rather, motivate you to be accountable. You must be willing to challenge yourself to be the best 'conceptual' sales person you can be. This is not a transactional sale. We have seen new reps come in thinking they will kill it because 'you killed it at your last company' until you realize it is unlike anything you have ever sold and is a much more complex sales process. Rarely anyone comes here with a comp background, so you must be an open minded candidate ready to start from scratch with Comp 101 training and a lot of collaboration from your peers and leadership. You will have all the support you need to succeed, but you MUST BE COACHABLE and willing to be ok with the fact it may take you 1 year to be fully proficient in this role. If you can handle all this- you are a great fit.

Cons

Not Many. We are a compensation company. Therefore the compensation structure is setup by the best in the business- the people that actually do this for a living. Very high risk high reward environment with low base, but very high commission earnings potential- and for good reason. You will get out of this job, exactly what you put in, and the company structured their comp plan this way on purpose. This is not a job to just come in and ride your base salary. It will push you to work extremely hard to close business. Do not waste your time applying if you aren't willing to challenge yourself- be ready to fail (because you will more than once)- pick yourself back up and challenge yourself again without missing a beat. Those are the employees that succeed in this role, and we love it here!

Advice to Management

Management is awesome here. Best leaders in the biz. Forward thinking and innovative. Our job is comp, and ee engagement. So, naturally, they have a pretty good pulse on their workforce. When they notice something is off, they will always work to make it right. No company is perfect, but you cannot ask for more than that.

"Happily employed with PayScale for years."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

Pros

Exciting, fun work environment with a dynamic group of people. People are rewarded and recognized for hard work. Amazing product development. I also love that all of the departments interact with each other- it is a great way to learn about new fields of work.

Cons

With any small company there are challenges, but the pros outweigh the cons.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on PayScale's strengths and don't be swayed to develop products that are not central to our comp data business.

"Awesome Seattle Start up doing big things!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great management team, great vision. Very cutting edge product that is taking off like wildfire. You really feel like you are at the ground level of something big.

Cons

Health benefits are good, but not great. Being a small company there is not a ton of room for "career advancement" up the management chain, but with that said the company is growing and being in on the ground floor could position you well as growth continues.

Advice to Management

Keep on incenting people for the right reasons. Keep the great culture as you grow. Maybe an insurance plan with a slightly less deductible.

4. "A great place to sell, work hard and you'll be rewarded!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

Pros

Total team environment, with all the support you could ask for.
    Perfect for getting more sales experience, or cashing in on the experience you have.
    Opportunity to make a lot of money, and folks are doing it.
    Great group of people.
    NOT micro managers

Cons

There's turnover, but it's a sales job, so nothing out of the ordinary.
    Selling to HR can be tough, really need work at it and have patience.

Advice to Management

Continue supporting the AEs ability to build their territories in unique, effective ways.
    More focus on marketing the product directly to our clients

"Big opportunities for those who are willing to work for them!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

I've worked for this company for a couple years and am surprised to see some of the negative reviews posted here. I have received nothing but support from the upper management, and also have been able to earn a great living and have a better lifestyle than any I could have expected at my age (mid twenties). This company requires hard work, but there is huge reward for good performance. Some of the other reviews talk about turnover, and like any company that has a sales team, there is some turnover. However, the management staff is very fair and very clear about expectations. In my experience, the people who have left have been very set in their "selling" ways, and not willing to take advice from their peers when their tactics don't work, or they are the type of person who spends the day on Facebook or some other personal business and then hopes to have a sale land in their lap. The last thing I would say is that the people at this company are really wonderful. We regularly go out for happy hours, we've gone to Mariner's & Seahawks games, as well as a number of random fun activities (whirleyball, curling, etc.). Overall, I feel lucky to work for a company that has been willing to invest in me as much as they have.

Cons

The company is a "start up", and sometimes you have to be willing to go with the flow. There isn't always perfect structure to all processes.

"Great Start-Up"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Company culture is great. They have monthly quota clubs, presidents club, etc..
    * Pay is great. You must understand that NO COMPANY is going to pay for under performing. But unlike other companies PayScale OVERPAYS for over performing. There is money to make if you're willing to do what is necessary......your job!
    * After work for other organization, I realized that the Executive staff has a solid business plan and actually knows what they are doing. Excellent growth, great product, great people.

Cons

* It's a start up and some of the process could be polished a bit but that with any start-up
    * There should be more collaboration between development dept. and the AE's/ Sales Managers. The sales team has a good understanding of some of the enhancements that could be made to the product to close more business.

"Great experience in a innovative start-up environment"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at PayScale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work hard/play hard environment. Lots of team building opportunities and access to executive team.

Cons

Instability due to economy at the time

"Great team environment and culture!"

I have been working at PayScale full-time

Pros

Collaborative environment where your opinion really matters. It also seems like the company is really going places and changing the market we work in, so it is a really exciting place to be.

Cons

There is turnover in sales- but it seems to be in line with turnover from any sales dept.

"Great people, amazing product!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Intelligent, hard working people who also know how to have fun and value work-life balance; cutting edge product that is completely changing the industry of salary survey data.

Cons

Ambitious pricing and goals sometimes seem arbitrarily high to me.

Advice to Management

Keep in touch with your customer base and let any improvements and updates be driven by what customers want and need. Do not price the products above and beyond the market.

"Work Hard, Adapt, get Paid A LOT"

I have been working at PayScale full-time

Pros

The company is trying to stay and remain cash positive, therefore it's a heavy sales culture at PayScale. Parties, payouts, prizes, etc go to sales only. Most reps are over paid (bonus, commissions) if they perform or over perform. Turnover is very low considering sales. Most reps get plenty of time to succeed.

Because of product offerings, the company is not impacted by good or bad economy.

Open door policy for execs, very supportive environment. Great career growth potential for high performing employees.

Cons

Other departments are overworked and under staffed. Support and Implementation are the hardest worked department at PayScale by far.

Major differences in new hire training, management styles, etc across teams. Which leads to different work culture and lack of communication between teams.