PayScale Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
PayScale President & CEO Mike Metzger
Mike Metzger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/Life Balance: After years of working 60 (in 17 reviews)

• Great people, feel like I am doing the right thing by our clients as the product is AMAZING (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The sales team is pushed to make quota (not uncommon), but is not held accountable to anything they sell (in 4 reviews)

• Their heart is in the right place and mostly it works out (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Company I've Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked for 2 Fortune 50 companies in my career and PayScale hands down runs their business better than either of them. Wonderful collaborative culture, best leadership in the biz, plenty of room for growth, forward thinking and innovative CEO. It is the hardest sales job you will ever have, but you will hear from any leader here: If you can sell at PayScale, you can sell literally anywhere. So even if your career path doesn't indicate that you retire here, it will certainly look great on your resume and open many other doors for you down the road. Wonderful benefits coverage, unlimited PTO, Happy Hour every Friday of the month, Fido Friday once a month, lots of team outings and activities such as Mariners games and local bites etc.

The company core values aligned nicely with my person core values, so it fit perfectly for me. However- not for everyone. So if you are a true sales person, than this actually won't detour you, but rather, motivate you to be accountable. You must be willing to challenge yourself to be the best 'conceptual' sales person you can be. This is not a transactional sale. We have seen new reps come in thinking they will kill it because 'you killed it at your last company' until you realize it is unlike anything you have ever sold and is a much more complex sales process. Rarely anyone comes here with a comp background, so you must be an open minded candidate ready to start from scratch with Comp 101 training and a lot of collaboration from your peers and leadership. You will have all the support you need to succeed, but you MUST BE COACHABLE and willing to be ok with the fact it may take you 1 year to be fully proficient in this role. If you can handle all this- you are a great fit.

Cons

Not Many. We are a compensation company. Therefore the compensation structure is setup by the best in the business- the people that actually do this for a living. Very high risk high reward environment with low base, but very high commission earnings potential- and for good reason. You will get out of this job, exactly what you put in, and the company structured their comp plan this way on purpose. This is not a job to just come in and ride your base salary. It will push you to work extremely hard to close business. Do not waste your time applying if you aren't willing to challenge yourself- be ready to fail (because you will more than once)- pick yourself back up and challenge yourself again without missing a beat. Those are the employees that succeed in this role, and we love it here!

Advice to Management

Management is awesome here. Best leaders in the biz. Forward thinking and innovative. Our job is comp, and ee engagement. So, naturally, they have a pretty good pulse on their workforce. When they notice something is off, they will always work to make it right. No company is perfect, but you cannot ask for more than that.

I have been working at PayScale full-time

Pros

Great culture and innovative solutions.

Cons

Start up mentality can get in the way of professional momentum.

"Customer Success"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Collaboration. My teammates are not just my colleagues but some of my closest friends and comrades. We come from all different walks of life and enjoy different things, but share a passion for our work, customers, and company.
    -Leaders that listen. Yes, there are politics. This is part of any business. But our leadership is far more transparent around pay, policy, philosophy & culture than any company I've worked for in the past, and being in the business of pay and transparency I know for a fact that PayScale is ahead of the curve when it comes to innovation & communication
    -Opportunity : the idea is to work UP - with opportunity to explore what type of job and career is best fit; leaders all the way up to C level want people to be where they are the best fit and adding the most value. This means that ambitious employees with the passion to do so can literally carve their own path.
    -Openness to change: the organization has recently expanded to include remote employees all over the country.
    -Culture!!! We have events like Third Thursday to recognize new employees and celebrate tenured employees. It's not just about happy hours, it's about valuable time together as a group. Our People team works tirelessly to keep these events compelling, flexible and appealing to many different groups of people
    -Trust: Particularly in my department (CS) I feel empowered to make my own decisions, try new things, and own my own success
    -Recognition: This is a continual effort for PayScale; how can people be recognized/rewarded in a way that is meaningful to them? This is something leadership thinks about constantly.

Cons

Common growing pains for any fast moving SAAS organization. This is not the place for someone looking to be told exactly what to do - rather, the culture is to promote self learning and accountability. The constant change can be a con to some, and at time does pose challenges, but solving these challenges is the reward to me.

Yes, there is young management in some departments but this stems from the intent to promote internally. Again, con to some, not to me personally.

I hope to see continued efforts towards better cross department collaboration.

At times, things are only 'tested' for a very short period of time so it can be difficult to see if initiatives/efforts are paying off - feel we are getting better at committing to longer timelines of trying to things, so hope to see continued improvement around this

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent and open, continue to empower your employees through this transparency, and continue to be open to feedback. Thank you for what you do!

"Best Company I have worked for"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been in sales for close to 20 years - I've worked at Fortune 100 tech companies, startups, and even one large and well known non-profit. PayScale is by far the best company I have worked for. Let's start with their product- we get to sell an amazing product that actually benefits our customer. We not only sell a great product but have an amazing customer success team that ensure our customers use our software effectively. We as sales people have the flexibility to create packages, adjust pricing (at times) and work with our prospective customers to find the right solution for them. Our managers support us- they give us solutions, advice, dedicate time during, after, and before work to ensure our success and in turn, our customer's success.
    PayScale understands their sales people. They work hard to pay well and praise well. Admittedly the base pay is not the highest, but any real sales person understands that a base is minimum and sales is about bonuses, commissions, and incentives- PayScale makes sure we have all of the tools we need to hit our quota and make money. And we can make amazing money if we work hard enough.
    PayScale managers put together awesome incentives- team lunches, getaways, President's Club, monthly and quarterly celebrations, Seahawk shopping and so much more.
    Usually sales environments are dog eat dog - not PayScale. Each team seems to be balanced well and so supportive- every sale is celebrated at the time of closing- at times we carry the person around and celebrate their successes. We share best practices, congratulate successes and reassure one another when we experience disappointment.
    The managers work hard to help in any way without being micro-managers. They push how important it is to have a good work/life balance, support their employees leaving work for dr. appointments or sick children.
    The training was great, we have access to marketing material, open doors to other departments, and constant help from anyone in the company- all the way to the CEO Mike. I love this company.

Cons

Thus far (in the last year I've been employed) the only issue that I have seen is location. Its an AMAZING location in many ways- so much fun when there are games, close to everything to walk to, but it can be hard to find reasonably priced parking. With that being said, its maybe 10 minute walk from the train station, the stadium is only $8 parking when there are no events, and every company in Seattle struggles with the same thing.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

"One of the most Racist Companies in Seattle"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at PayScale (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited PTO (4 weeks at a time)

Cons

If you are a person of color save yourself the trouble, disappointment and heartache. What is most upsetting about this company is its claim to be different. Most PoCs know that working in corporate America is challenging, there is often implicit as well as explicit bias and it is often expected but for a company that sells equity well one would expect something a little different. The constant micro-aggression are expected but the explicit favoritism and unfair disadvantages placed on PoC is, I don't even have words.

The pay is crap which is ironic for a company again that sells fair pay and equity. If you appreciate the culture of all white fraternity house then this is the ideal place (the all white sorority sisters fall in place as well). If you are looking for growth career development and respect, I would look otherwise.

P.s. You may read this and think wow, this person is really angry. Yes I am very angry. No one should have to be treated the way I was by this employer. PayScale is capitalism at its worst, or maybe I should say best.

Advice to Management

Hire actual managers not just watch dogs.

"This is as bad as others say... it is actually worse."

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at PayScale full-time

Pros

None, unless you are really desperate for a job and a free beer (and maybe a boyfriend or girlfriend).

Cons

Too many to list. The turnover here will amaze you. Everybody finds a reason to leave this place. It doesn't matter if they can sell or not.

Advice to Management

Stop sending emoji emails. It is embarrassing.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at PayScale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are approachable, friendly and genuinely want to help each other

Benefits are good such as healthcare and unlimited PTO

The executive team values their employees

You get to offer a product that really does have a HUGE impact on businesses

Fido Fridays!!!!

Competitive Pay

You will meet a ton of interesting and outgoing people

Cons

Hard to get promoted, beers after work or dating someone in the org helps foster career mobility faster than anything else

Very political at times

Internal groups and products are always changing (not necessarily a con though)

Daily parking is expensive

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and I hope your org continues to grow with more innovative products & initiatives. You guys were great!

Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at PayScale full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When you are hitting your target goals, the compensation is fantastic!

Cons

Very political. If you want to climb the ladder, you have to be very close to the the hiring managers. Friends, girlfriends, husbands/wives, etc. --- get the jobs, regardless of qualifications. Most of the management staff is very inexperienced.

"Bored"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Work life balance, friendly people

Cons

Technical debt, jaded leadership, misallocated talent, stagnant decision making, unclear career trajectory

Advice to Management

- don't keep trying the same tired strategies if they don't work
    - Open the room to questions and dialogue from outside your experience. Heard a lot of veterans sharing sarcasm and jaded views. This makes a culture that is challenging for new hires to navigate and ask questions.
    - when expanding, don't throw gruntwork on folks to keep em busy. At the very least, mix it up
    - don't talk about all the exciting work the future holds - who knows when that day will come?Invest in the present and what's relevant now.

"Great experience"

I have been working at PayScale full-time

Pros

PayScale has great people and most importantly, a great product. It's not a gimmick and it's a service that will help organizations with compensation. Very generous with work/life balance and understanding of personal time off.

Cons

Politically, if you don't agree with the far-left you'll get bullied and ignored.

Advice to Management

SVP Sales and Sales managers are some of the smartest and nicest people. Always keep it that way.