PayScale Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
PayScale President & CEO Mike Metzger
Mike Metzger

Pros
  • Work/Life Balance: After years of working 60 (in 13 reviews)

• Great people, feel like I am doing the right thing by our clients as the product is AMAZING (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Pioneer Square is transitioning (in 3 reviews)

• Their heart is in the right place and mostly it works out (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Company I've Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked for 2 Fortune 50 companies in my career and PayScale hands down runs their business better than either of them. Wonderful collaborative culture, best leadership in the biz, plenty of room for growth, forward thinking and innovative CEO. It is the hardest sales job you will ever have, but you will hear from any leader here: If you can sell at PayScale, you can sell literally anywhere. So even if your career path doesn't indicate that you retire here, it will certainly look great on your resume and open many other doors for you down the road. Wonderful benefits coverage, unlimited PTO, Happy Hour every Friday of the month, Fido Friday once a month, lots of team outings and activities such as Mariners games and local bites etc.

The company core values aligned nicely with my person core values, so it fit perfectly for me. However- not for everyone. So if you are a true sales person, than this actually won't detour you, but rather, motivate you to be accountable. You must be willing to challenge yourself to be the best 'conceptual' sales person you can be. This is not a transactional sale. We have seen new reps come in thinking they will kill it because 'you killed it at your last company' until you realize it is unlike anything you have ever sold and is a much more complex sales process. Rarely anyone comes here with a comp background, so you must be an open minded candidate ready to start from scratch with Comp 101 training and a lot of collaboration from your peers and leadership. You will have all the support you need to succeed, but you MUST BE COACHABLE and willing to be ok with the fact it may take you 1 year to be fully proficient in this role. If you can handle all this- you are a great fit.

Cons

Not Many. We are a compensation company. Therefore the compensation structure is setup by the best in the business- the people that actually do this for a living. Very high risk high reward environment with low base, but very high commission earnings potential- and for good reason. You will get out of this job, exactly what you put in, and the company structured their comp plan this way on purpose. This is not a job to just come in and ride your base salary. It will push you to work extremely hard to close business. Do not waste your time applying if you aren't willing to challenge yourself- be ready to fail (because you will more than once)- pick yourself back up and challenge yourself again without missing a beat. Those are the employees that succeed in this role, and we love it here!

Advice to Management

Management is awesome here. Best leaders in the biz. Forward thinking and innovative. Our job is comp, and ee engagement. So, naturally, they have a pretty good pulse on their workforce. When they notice something is off, they will always work to make it right. No company is perfect, but you cannot ask for more than that.

2. "Breath of Fresh Air"

Current Employee - Account Development Representative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Development Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PayScale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The proper balance of transparency and performance-based compensation
    -Phenomenal culture based around support, consistent feedback, and collaboration
    -Work-life balance is valued very highly, as evidenced through unlimited PTO and benefits

Cons

There is a lot of autonomy in sales, which translates to minimal training. However, this encourages a can do attitude and mentality to ask for help, which is cultivated and celebrated.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at PayScale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People, work environment is laid back and fun

Cons

Because of laid back environment and growth management has little to no time to work with new employees, thus making it impossible to be successful without a little guidance.

Advice to Management

Management needs to take the time to work with their employees to help them learn the software and expectations, instead of playing the blame game when they have clearly messed up.

"Failing Fast"

Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I worked at PayScale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a good company if you are young and inexperienced and want to learn some skills.

Cons

Despite being a compensation company, pay is about 20% less than elsewhere.
    Inexperienced middle management in sales.
    I.T. is useless. No standard equipment, non-helpful helpdesk. Outtages weekly with no information about when things may be back up. It makes for a lot of cancelled appointments and missed commissions.
    The floor plan is open which is great in theory but it makes for VERY VERY loud sales floors. Customers frequently will ask for you to call back at a quieter time.
    It's not a One company feeling. Sales deals with sales. Tech deals with tech. Very little interdepartmental work.
    No parking. Easiest parking is $10 a day at a parking garage. They don't subsidize it either so it's an additional cost each day to consider.
    During the summer, leaving can be very difficult since it is near Safeco Field

Advice to Management

Go back to what made you a good company and look at the higher ups that are making people leave.

PayScale Response

Feb 6, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

We appreciate the candid feedback as it gives us good guidance on areas for improvement. I do feel it is important to clarify on a couple of inaccuracies. First is that we aim to pay our sales ... More

6. "Average"

I have been working at PayScale part-time

Pros

Great salary pay and benefits

Cons

Not enough time for family

"Account Development Representative"

Pros

The environment here is like no other company I have worked for. Great people who want to see you succeed and will provide the support and training necessary.

Cons

None. If you are willing to learn and work hard the sky is the limit.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Not great"

Pros

Most people were very friendly. Benifits were okay. The offices were nice.

Cons

Managers lacked skills for managing. Some partners could be very condescending.

"Great Company!"

I worked at PayScale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture! Awesome People! Ability to grow!

Cons

Honestly, I really loved this company, however, the office environment wasn't for me.

"A great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Good benefits
    Working with great people
    Great work/life balance & company events
    Plenty of interesting problems to solve
    Great office location

Cons

Still some pain bringing some legacy systems up to modern standards. It's getting there, but we're not done yet.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at PayScale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome company culture
    Weekly sales contests for additional perks like gift cards, water guns, event tickets
    Unlimited earning potential
    Recognition for job well done

Cons

Strict daily activity monitoring
    No parking/travel perk