KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

PayScale

Is this your company?

PayScale

Add a Review

PayScale Employee Reviews about "sales team"

Updated Apr 10, 2020

Found 9 of over 238 reviews

PayScale CEO Scott Torrey (no image)
Scott Torrey
Pros
  • "My experience at Payscale has been fantastic(in 60 reviews)

• "Work/life balance is exceptional(in 41 reviews)

• Cons
  • "They moved to quarterly payouts without giving their sales team a heads up so now people aren't able to pay their bills(in 9 reviews)

• "Unlimited PTO is a recruiting tactic that doesn't necessarily apply to the sales team(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

The latest conversations about Tech

Join the conversation on
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "sales team"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Start-Up

Oct 10, 2012 - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Company culture is great. They have monthly quota clubs, presidents club, etc.. * Pay is great. You must understand that NO COMPANY is going to pay for under performing. But unlike other companies PayScale OVERPAYS for over performing. There is money to make if you're willing to do what is necessary......your job! * After work for other organization, I realized that the Executive staff has a solid business plan and actually knows what they are doing. Excellent growth, great product, great people.

Cons

* It's a start up and some of the process could be polished a bit but that with any start-up * There should be more collaboration between development dept. and the AE's/ Sales Managers. The sales team has a good understanding of some of the enhancements that could be made to the product to close more business.

2 people found this review helpful
    2. 2.0
      Current Employee

Recent changes killing sales team morale

Feb 20, 2020 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Casual, fun office environment (Standard SaaS-company perks) -Coworkers are good people -A product that serves a great mission

Cons

-Several major changes all at once have left the sales team incredibly frustrated and burned out. -Recent departures of universally-liked managers are eroding team morale and faith in leadership. -VP/Exec decisions are seemingly being made exclusively with profitability in mind, at the major expense of their people. Very noticeable decrease in transparency. -Dismal restructuring of the comp/commission plan means everyone will earn significantly less than previous years. Also, the new quarterly commission structure means that 2020's first significant commission payout is held until May. There was no forewarning to this change, so many employees (especially those with families/dependents) have been put in a tight financial bind due to the sudden income decrease.

17 people found this review helpful
    3. 1.0
      Current Employee

Run away as fast as you can

Mar 6, 2020 - Senior Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people. And Fido Friday. Other than that, nothing

Cons

Things have changed a lot at PayScale. There has been a full exodus as almost all of leadership has left. They laid off most of customer service so our clients aren't getting the support they deserve. They changed the compensation plan so sales people are making significantly less this year - up to $60k less.... They moved to quarterly payouts without giving their sales team a heads up so now people aren't able to pay their bills. New management came in and made changes without even considering how that impacts sales. Marketing makes decisions on our processes now, again without even consulting sales. One of the managers is extremely toxic and treats her team terribly. This company is a shell of how it used to be

26 people found this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Former Employee

Change is hard, but leadership certainly bit off more than they could chew

Apr 10, 2020 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working with a great team of people who really love being together and supporting each other. I've could not have imagined a more collaborative sales environment. Unfortunate that's changing very quickly as the team loses top salespeople.

Cons

Too much change without a clear communication plan and unified message. Change is inevitable and the transition from PayScale 2.0 to 3.0 is not the problem, but the way that the change was communicated and took place was fragmented and without transparency. The change in leadership encompassed almost every department, but was slow and left middle management struggling to interpret the new initiatives and goals. Some of the changes so disruptive that executive leadership recognized their mistake. However, instead of admitting to it up front - that the new comp plan was a mess, it was acknowledged only when asked about in a meeting, and the response was "we're working on it". For sales people who's livelihood relies on that comp plan the lack of transparency and action plan to fix it was mind blowing. Teams aren't sure how to work together and with a recent effort from leadership to rectify this has only resulted in managers calendars being filled with meetings that drive no real result, but instead give the false appearance of "effective communication". As everything was slowly but surely sliding downhill, the icing on the cake was being told that because PayScale is "venture backed" we are more secure and in a better position than most companies - not to worry about layoffs. Followed by swift lay offs of more than half of the sales team with zero notice the first day of Q1. All technology and communication cut off effective immediately - no explanation, no crowdsourcing of ideas, just mass layoffs across the company. Unfortunately can't say it was unexpected given the disaster of a Q1.

21 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Nepotism at its finest

Apr 11, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Solid work/life balance. Never have to worry about being out of your chair to get to medical appointments or picking up your kid. Compensation is in the ballpark for Seattle. Most of the group is welcoming and have good intentions.

Cons

Nepotism is rampant and it starts at the top. When the company moved locations, the contractor who "won" the bid to develop the office, just so happened to be the spouse of a senior exec. Handsome windfall for the family, however, not a good look. Very hard to get traction on any issues unless you are part of a small group that has been at the company for that past 7-10 years. Many of the sales team issues are a result of promoting decent sales reps into management positions , when they had zero experience managing people let then having to manage peers. New CSO will hopefully get a handle on this.

9 people found this review helpful
    6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Account Development Representative

Aug 22, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture/people, catered food and atmosphere. Fun employees, makes the challenges of sales easier. Very upbeat VP of sales and Executives.. makes the job more fun. Lots of perks. Pet friendly with monthly fido fridays.

Cons

not unlimited PTO. Only have 2 consecutive weeks your first year and then 3 your second and so on. Some PTO is not approved being on sales team and end of month quota's (so beware). Culture has turned into a fear culture instead of the fun atmosphere it used to be. Micro management does not work in this culture.

4 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to work

Sep 11, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in South Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good people, emphasis on work life balance, exciting product, fun atmosphere, open and welcoming culture. I've worked at many other places, and I know there is no perfect company. But despite its' flaws, honestly there is no place I'd rather be.

Cons

The sales team has had a lot of challenges with poor leadership - these problems trickle down to the customer support teams. New Management in place seems to be working better. Usual growing pains you would expect. They tend to promote from within which is great but leads to management staff that is inexperienced. I have noticed an improvement from leadership emphasizing management training and we are moving in the right direction.

3 people found this review helpful

PayScale Response

Director of Sales, Mid-Market

Thank you so much for your feedback. We appreciate it. We will continue to focus on growing our internal sales talent and will continue to prepare our team to be leaders at the organization, or elsewhere. Simultaneously, we will continue to hire from the outside market for industry expertise and to help provide a fresh perspective on the sales organization. Please continue voicing your opinion and feedback. We are committed to listening and making progress as a team.

8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Conflicting Priorities

Apr 27, 2017 - Compensation Professional II in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

People are very friendly and there are a lot of opportunities to socialize at company sponsored events. The work space is fun and promotes collaboration, though it can get noisy. The exec team keeps staff updated on company progress, is committed to the mission of pay transparency and modernizing comp, plus they've recently invested in leadership coaching.

Cons

There is a war at PayScale between the sales team and the services teams. The sales team is pushed to make quota (not uncommon), but is not held accountable to anything they sell. As a result, a lot of new accounts come through with unrealistic expectations of what the service team can deliver on. When these accounts inevitably cancel or don't renew, the account managers pay the price while the account executives are enjoying a beach somewhere at President's Club. Leadership says they want to improve customer renewals, but turn a blind eye to the fact that any attempts to renew are that much harder when what was promised to the customer isn't something covered by services (or is out of scope of the subscription). CSMs are heavily penalized when accounts cancel, which has led to resentment toward the sales team and leadership in general.

14 people found this review helpful
    9. 4.0

Account Executive

Sep 24, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, company perks, and cool office

Cons

Work from home only available for select sales employees. Unlimited PTO is a recruiting tactic that doesn't necessarily apply to the sales team

Be the first to find this review helpful

PayScale Response

Senior Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We encourage our employees to look at our Paid Time Off as a complete package. PayScale’s paid time off package equates to about 6 weeks or 29 paid days off annually for a typical employee. There are three elements to this package, one of which is our “Unlimited” PTO Policy (which recommends 3 weeks annually of PTO). In addition to our PTO policy PayScale team members benefit from 10 paid holidays and “Independence Week” which is our summer office closure for communal time off. PayScale is committed to creating a work environment and culture that honors our values while driving business results. It is true that different departments and teams have different expectations and standards in regards to Flexible Work Arrangements and typical annual PTO usage. For both policies, Unlimited PTO and Flexible Work Arrangements there are production standards and participation varies based on business and customer needs. Please keep the feedback coming, we take feedback into consideration as we evaluate our policies and benefits.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 English Reviews