KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

PayScale

Is this your company?

PayScale

Add a Review

PayScale Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Oct 29, 2021

Found 41 of over 236 reviews

PayScale CEO Scott Torrey (no image)
Scott Torrey
Pros
  • "My experience at Payscale has been fantastic(in 60 reviews)

• "Work/life balance is exceptional(in 41 reviews)

• Cons
  • "They moved to quarterly payouts without giving their sales team a heads up so now people aren't able to pay their bills(in 9 reviews)

• "Unlimited PTO is a recruiting tactic that doesn't necessarily apply to the sales team(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

Join the conversation on
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Getting paid with purpose

Oct 21, 2021 - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've never worked for a more supportive, down-to-earth team and for a company that puts their money where their mouth is when it comes to living up to a mission statement. From different roles and seniority levels, Payscale is actively DOING something to make pay more equitable and transparent rather than just TALKING about it. The partnerships are mutually beneficial, events useful based on what different industries and market segments are asking for, and no one would be here if he or she didn't care about equity in the workplace, from an employer AND employee perspective. I also love that Payscale is dedicated to diversity and inclusion - not only based on race and gender but also personality, culturally, politically, and philosophically. I always feel engaged, encouraged to have work/life balance, and they make goal achievement (i.e. monthly, quarterly, and annual revenue targets) achievable. This is NOT the company to "close to deal at all costs," and because of that, I've seen their success even in the short time I've been here. I've done many things in my career and worked in a variety of industries but Payscale has honestly been the first company to fulfill as many of my "must-haves," across the board. I've happily recommended my qualified friends and family in search of a new opportunity to apply, which I've only ever done once in my career, out of fear of what it would do to my reputation on both ends of that cycle if it weren't to work out. However, I haven't had that worry here and am looking forward to seeing a few of those recommendations start net month. I've found my home with Payscale and while no position or company is perfect, this is one where you can truly grow in a multitude of ways.

Cons

Dedicated training and sales collateral could be more uniform but with as much growth has happened over the last year, it's understandable that there are growing pains. There was also a rebrand recently so I have to cut them some slack, since I know there's an active drive for adoption in play. The software also isn't cheap but when it comes to retention and adaptation in changing markets - especially now - there's so much value in what Payscale brings. However, people are apprehensive to change and spending so it will always, on some level, not be for everyone.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Dream Remote Job!

Oct 29, 2021 - Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of perks and even more being remote! If you work hard you can make great money, work life balance, and the company gives out lots of gifts and extras! Swag, booze, treats, gift cards, cash bonus and time off. The hard workers get rewarded! There is lots of great minds working together and it makes for a great experience. Corporate feel with an innovative and modern vibe. They aren't trying to be like a company from 20 years ago. They are willing to try new things and treat their employees right. Change is constant but it's done the right way.

Cons

There isn't a lot of structure or hand holding so you have to be a go getter to succeed. Out of the box thinkers and driven individuals will be better fits. The company is changing quickly and growing so its not always a fit for people needing consistency and routine.

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

A Sinking Ship

Jul 7, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

It used to be good, but literally the only redeeming factor right now is outstanding team members (individual contributors and SOME managers). Work life balance is good in that I had time to find another job.

Cons

For starters, for a company that touts equal pay, pay transparency, and fair pay, they severely underpay their employees. That is a JOKE, if you use the PayScale website with your PayScale salary you will see that you are underpaid. They literally could not have handled the merger with PayFactors any worse. Pushing almost all of the PayScale people out, taking benefits away, getting rid of all the products that people have spent many many years creating and curating. The new leadership doesn't care about their employees at all. Axing people with 5-10 years of tenure at the company is awful. Forcing employees on to other projects that they explicitly stated they didn't want to work on. Shady layoffs. Politics. Lying about said layoffs. Did PayScale buy PayFactors like they said they did? Or was that a lie too? DO NOT WORK HERE.

25 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome work culture and environment! Great product.

Sep 20, 2021 - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work/life balance Incredible management who truly care about you and your career path Awesome product

Cons

A niche industry and product that not everyone needs but will become more important in the future.

5. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

PayScale's new ELT has destroyed its culture

Jun 30, 2021 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Enough work life balance to help you find another place to work

Cons

Where to start? First, when the pandemic hit, they brutally cut 20% of the workforce in a surprise attack the day of. Look at some of the other reviews around that time and you'll get a better picture. Then throughout the pandemic, they continued to cut benefits slowly month by month, until there's nothing left. However, there are still talented engineers on board with the mission of getting pay right. That's when the merger happens. People are still excited about the prospect of creating the ultimate pay platform. Instead, ELT gives out another round of cuts, and provides no leadership for the people still here. Everyone has begun to leave at this point, and the turnover rate is insane. This is truly the definition of a sinking ship.

23 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Current Employee

Sinking ship

Sep 8, 2021 - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance, nice office (when we had an office), fun events

Cons

Culture is destroyed. Things change everyday, some teams have no idea about whats in the future for them, poor leadership, no clear direction. Morale is low, too much attrition.

14 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0

M&A gone wrong

May 21, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Still work from home. Good health benefits. Some 401k match. Work / life balance is good when appropriately staffed.

Cons

Talented resources are leaving constantly. This had lead to too much work for not enough employees. M&A with PayFactors has accelerated the brain drain through redundancies, uncertainty, and no attempt at employee retention. PayScale management doesn't have enough faith in its own product to use it as part of performance reviews and career growth tracking.

16 people found this review helpful
    8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Lots of bad apples (some good ones though)

Nov 4, 2020 - Senior Data Scientist in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked for PS for over 3 years in the data science department. I rated/reviewed here when I left, but that review seems to be missing. I'll be very honest. Pros: Great work life balance. My colleagues were very smart and great to work with.

Cons

Ironically, certain positions are underpaid. Also, in my last 2 years, they developed this habit of not replacing individuals and then others have to take on more and more responsibility. Sometimes the HR dept gets offended if you provide some helpful feedback. I remember one year they spent all the yearly decoration budget on shark week, and then refused to help out with any decoration for Pride month. It's a clear message what the priorities are. I would say they are trying their hardest to focus on D&I issues, but mostly just for external appearances. There are still many internal horror stories about politics and prejudices playing out.

6 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great mission, values, and impact to the Compensation industry

Oct 9, 2020 - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

The mission of democratizing access pay information and trends - both to the public and companies is a hugely beneficial to the field of comp. Work/life balance is exceptional. New leadership is ambitious, and overall focus on alignment and growth. Engineering focus on best practices (test coverage, code quality and good PR hygiene, agile methodology).

Cons

The engineering department is woefully undersized relative to orgs at our scale. I think data ops, IT/helpdesk, business analysis and delivery for internal customers in other departments, etc. are a part of that budget, so the product development and core engineering team needs to increase significantly to match the desire for growth.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great

Jan 10, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Cary, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance is great

Cons

Churn has been a problem in recent years

1 person found this review helpful