Paychex Payroll Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor

Payroll Specialist

2.9

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "There is a few kinks!"

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay and benefits are great compared to most companies.

Cons

They are very unorganized when it comes to training and helping their employees. They have all these training videos and articles but they aren't helpful when you're in the middle of assisting a client and good luck getting help from the supervisors. If you ask a supervisor for help they will ask you if you read an article or tell you to ask someone else because they never want to help. It is very frustrating. They pay well, but for the work we have to do each day its not worth it .

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your supervisors because a lot are just in the position for a pay check and avoid helping your employees even though its there job.

2. "You'll have to learn to like the company Kool-aid"

Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fully paid training
    Many different departments to move to
    Paid Maternity leave
    Lots of updated and ongoing training provided
    Weekends and all federal holidays off

Cons

Low pay
    Terrible time off policy - you accrue time versus getting it up front
    Slow to advance in career
    Outdated dress code
    Not enough work from home opportunities
    A lot of Corporate interference/ micro management
    Poor training for Management
    Very stressful because client lists are too high
    Very outdated technologies in the offices

Advice to Management

Train supervisors better. Provide better pay increases. Offer more work from home opportunities.

"Overworked"

Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Fair Lawn, NJ
    Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Fair Lawn, NJ

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, growth opportunities, PTO

Cons

Overworked, high stress environment, unrealistic expectations

Advice to Management

Workload on payroll specialists need to be restructured.

"Glad to be leaving"

Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Albany, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

PTO, insurance is good . I have a good relationship with a couple of co workers.

Cons

Been at Paychex for more then 15 years, have seen lots of changes. The work load is more then anyone can handle. People are either jumping ship or trying to go to other departments. More then half are looking for other jobs. We are merged with another branch, and that has its issues. The supervisors know less then I do. Pretty bad when you have questions and they cannot answer. They are also overwhelmed .

Advice to Management

Stop putting the client last! They deserve better. I know I am unable to take care of their needs because I am so overwhelmed. We are just becoming a call center. Instead of sending out stupid emails and pow-wows, make a presence with your employees. It is all about the numbers. I am a good specialist, I have gotten bonus for being at the top of my client satisfaction. I have gotten the max on my increase, I know what I am doing and how to treat a client, but no one cares no one listens to me. Should someone from corporate comes to visit we have to make it seem everything is wonderful or there is retribution . Used to be a good place to work when I first started........

"Payroll specialist"

Former Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Rochester, NY

I worked at Paychex (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, 40 hour week guaranteed, PTO

Cons

Underpaid, overworked, changes made by management will usually make your day harder instead of easier and they will combine departments so your doing 2 people's work without a raise

6. "Glad I didn't get the last job"

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Paychex full-time

Pros

Benefits (especially the hyatt law one), coworkers are real team players, management cares about their employees, frequent employee activities (office Olympics, office dodgeball games), flexible schedule, family oriented company

Cons

Raises could be a bit bigger, more overtime opportunities

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on!

"Payroll Specialist"

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Paychex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Has the potential to be a great place to work.

Cons

Turnover is too high. Too many clients per Payroll Specialist. Management does not speak up to say your breaking my people with the work load. This is not an environment that evolves to make things better. Too many promotions from within instead of hiring individuals who look to problem solve for to make processes more efficient and consistent for the employee and client.

Advice to Management

Have the balls to say this is too much for the specialist and CSS. Realize these positions are the face of the company on the operational side. Your turnover is costing you more money than it should if you would take a leap of faith and hire so your Payroll Specialist are not balancing over 300 clients. If you staff better, you would not have to pay OT, your turnover would be less and your clients would be happier.

"Senior Payroll Specialist"

Former Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist
    Former Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, wonderful office culture, very thorough training, lots of resources for support if you have questions, team-oriented mentality

Cons

The starting pay is very low for what is expected of payroll specialists. There are nowhere near enough people to cover the amount of work, and they continue to dump more and more on their employees while refusing to allow overtime, so it is easy to get behind, which upsets the clients. Most of your day becomes taking calls for angry clients who can't get in touch with their dedicated specialist, which means your clients are then yelling at another specialist, and so on. When I started, it was a very client-centric environment and was about building relationships with your portfolio of clients and taking care of them. Now it is a glorified call center, but it is worse because it is like working in a call center and managing 300+ clients at the same time. I went home exhausted and upset every day. My supervisors did all they could to improve work conditions, but there was only so much they could do.

Advice to Management

If you are going to pride yourself on meeting client needs, you need to allow your specialists to be available to respond to them. When I left, the number of unhappy clients far outnumbered the happy ones. The new status quo is only hurting your employees and your clients. Be willing to either pay your employees to work overtime, or hire the number of people required to be successful partners with clients. If you want a call center, create one that is separate from the dedicated specialists. It is too difficult to keep up with emails while providing phone support to everyone else's clients.

"Could be much better, could be MUCH worse"

Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Paychex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training program. Mgmt can be picky, but overall positive. Always trying to innovate and still not quite be a call center.

Cons

New changes seem to benefit the company's bottom line instead of the people doing the work. More and more metrics and systems. No time for client connection.

Advice to Management

Innovation is good, but not at the expense of your core values. Overloading your people never works out.

10. "Senior Payroll Specialist"

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Mendota Heights, MN
    Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Mendota Heights, MN

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company. Friendly people who are there to help you succeed. Room to grow and great benefits.

Cons

Others. I have worked with who don't hold the same quality of work ethic can undermine your relationship with your client.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to step inside of our shoes. We are the team that has built your business.