Paychex Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 18, 2017

1.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Retirement Plan Sales Rep"

I have been working at Paychex full-time

Pros

Competitive benefits offered and help with mileage expenses

Cons

Micromanagement, poor leadership, no career growth opportunities and churn and burn mentality

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and deliver a message professionally

2. "Protected territories no longer, competing against own company"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

"Unlimited" vacation, work life balance, technology

Cons

tons of competition, low base salary even with recent increase. Goals nearly unattainable for 1st year rep especially when you have to fight against your own company to keep sales. Part of the reason I was excited to work here was leads generated out of our territory used to get all sent to us to work and close, now inbound leads with small employee counts (new businesses who are actually looking to sign up for payroll) get sent to a "virtual" rep that can sell them over the phone in your territory and get 100% of the credit cutting you out of the picture. Someone is supposed to field the call and determine where the lead came from but that process is broken and not trustworthy whatsoever, everything just gets sent to virtual. I used to get 3-5 inbound prospects/month and now down to 1-2 every few months. When you are only selling 4-7 deals/month as a new rep those start to add up. Upper management doesn't understand that this takes the wind out of your sail when you are seeing sales close in your area and there is nothing you can do about it. Even if these are low revenue sales, they still count as units and I can close inbound leads at much higher revenue than what the virtual reps are giving this away for.

Advice to Management

Bring back inbound leads or fix the process. A virtual rep shouldn't have 90 DAYS to try and close a sale in my territory. If they can't close it within a few phone calls it should be handed off to the territory rep. I have received CPA and bank referrals from sources that I cannot work because the prospect already called in and the virtual rep has ownership in MY TERRITORY. Then I have to try and explain to a CPA why they sent the referral too late and the prospect already called and now is working with someone else. Stop muddying the water. Think about the overall bigger picture and not just trying to get a few extra units at no revenue. My average inbound is over $2k and VS is giving them away for $600.

"Really bad culture in the sales organization"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager

I have been working at Paychex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some really great people. Unfortunately, they are all looking to leave the company ASAP.

Cons

The horrible culture in sales starts with the CEO whom is known for his dislike of salespeople. Known even more for hating to pay salespeople, as well as for ruining the service department in order to cut cost to cover up the failure to meet the demands of a rapidly changing industry. Executive team has mastered the art of hiding poor performance and propping up the stock by cutting cost. Couple that with possibly the worst executive sales leadership team currently employed at a publicly traded company. Certainly the worst in the industry, they have zero industry experience, limited understanding of the products and markets served, and how they are different. The SVP is constantly touting the management book “good to great”. It’s a solid book, but when you read it, what jumps out at you is how little the SVP uses what the book teaches/outlines. He has surrounded himself with “yes” people who don’t provide him with competing ideas. There is little to no formal debate between his leadership team as he clearly doesn’t respect his VP’s, he talks through his team and is constantly talking them down, both 1 on 1 and in group settings. Zero decisions are ever made and while he has canned word tracks he delivers about the future “plans/vision”. The reality is there is no substance behind that vision, he doesn’t have the capacity for decision making and as a result we are discussing the same issues we were discussing 4 years ago.

Advice to Management

Start over with a fresh leadership group. You can purchase awards. However, I would recommend instead striving to earn rewards based on merit and true achievement.

"Worst experience ever"

Current Employee - Owner Operator in Binghamton, NY
    Current Employee - Owner Operator in Binghamton, NY

Pros

Nothing at all. Just awful!

Cons

Terrible customer service & time tracking is awful. Hidden charges. Scam artists.

Advice to Management

Stay away

5. "Human Resources Generalist"

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, but not as good as other corporations like Paychex. There are many training opportunities for Rochester, NY employees, but not as many for other employees around the country.

Cons

They work you to the core! We had triple the work load compared to same roles at similar companies, but a quarter of the pay. For example a payroll specialist supports 250-300 clients, compared to employees at other companies that support 50-100 clients and are paid more than Paychex employees for the same role. There systems are cumbersome & old. Takes hours to figure out simple questions. Employees from all over the country have been quitting left & right for the past few years. Doesn't seem Paychex cares to loose good employees.

Advice to Management

Spend more time listening to employees. You're loosing good employees for a reason.

6. "Sales rep"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch if it's with a CPA. That's all I can think of.

Cons

-way behind with technology and product offerings. What we are launching now, our competitors did 5 years ago.
    -lowest base salary and commission structure in the industry
    -worst customer service in the industry. I wouldn't even use Paychex if I owned a business.

Advice to Management

Keep work life and personal life separate.

"Payroll Specialist"

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Paychex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Has the potential to be a great place to work.

Cons

Turnover is too high. Too many clients per Payroll Specialist. Management does not speak up to say your breaking my people with the work load. This is not an environment that evolves to make things better. Too many promotions from within instead of hiring individuals who look to problem solve for to make processes more efficient and consistent for the employee and client.

Advice to Management

Have the balls to say this is too much for the specialist and CSS. Realize these positions are the face of the company on the operational side. Your turnover is costing you more money than it should if you would take a leap of faith and hire so your Payroll Specialist are not balancing over 300 clients. If you staff better, you would not have to pay OT, your turnover would be less and your clients would be happier.

"401k Sales"

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits with health and 401k. I've developed some great friends by working here. Average work/life balance. Good product to sell.

Cons

PLEASE stop taking us out of the field for meaningless meetings just so I can hear the Sr. leader talk about how great he is and his "Iron Man" fund raiser. Best part of meeting was when leaders were not talking. Culture of company is getting worse by the day. Turnover, back stabbing, cheating for deals is rampant.

Advice to Management

Clean out management. Put a strong leader in place who doesn't just micro manage numbers, but actually helps you be successful..

9. "senior payroll specialist"

I worked at Paychex full-time

Pros

i loved my job so much, it was my life and i was good at it. but sadly management didn't like me. if you don't kiss their butts you won't go anyway in this company

Cons

very stressful, very rarely get help you have to get your work done in their time frame. skip lunches work late but don't do overtime. good god

Advice to Management

when you have an employee who loves their job maybe do what you can do keep them.

"Lots of work for little reward"

Current Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

benefits are solid, hours are very flexible, coworkers

Cons

management, pay, compensation, territories, operations

Advice to Management

I used to love this job and had a lot of hope for the future of the company and my career with Paychex. In the last year, the company has done a complete 180. In the past six months, our office has been in a steady decline. Turnover is through the roof, not only in sales reps, but managers as well.

This is a top down problem. Tell management you're unhappy and what they can do to fix it, and they'll take notes like they're listening, but nothing ever changes. This job is the definition of micromanagement. Want someone breathing down your neck 5 days a week from 8-5? APPLY! They literally will hire anyone with a high school education.

Management problem is significant, they tend to hire managers from outside of the industry - who never make an effort to learn out business or service. Supposedly Paychex is a top 25 training company, but somehow this training isn't extended into management. Our office in particular is a very unprofessional and hostile environment. Do something your manager disagrees with or is offended by and you will literally be ignored for a week. Managers are on a constant power trip and love to keep their reps under their thumb by requiring busy work and daily reports detailing each day in the field.

Inbound leads were recently taken away when the prospect has less than five employees, which is the BULK of our business. They gave us a $5K salary increase, which may seem significant, but when you have no inbounds to sell, you have very few sales each month because lost clients won't even consider coming back with how poor operations has gotten and CPAs won't refer because their clients have been burned too many times by Paychex, so the salary increase ends up being far less than you'd make in commission if you still had inbounds.

Commission percentage is now down to 12%, and you will not be paid residuals, but you will spend a great deal of time trying to save angry clients from leaving. When you take these issues to management you'll be told, "Not to over promise and under deliver."

This company is the definition of steal from the poor to give to the rich - more zip codes and CPAs are constantly given to top tenured reps with 10+ years of experience, leaving the rest of us with scraps of a territory. For the past year, being a rep at Paychex has been fighting a losing battle.

We can no longer compete in the marketplace, and companies of "SMB/Core" size (less than 50 employees) are constantly going out of business, rendering our expensive services irrelevant.

Showing 143 of 1,683 reviews