Paychex Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci
Martin Mucci

Pros
  • The benefits are great and they do support a healthy work life balance allowing employees to work from home if and when needed (in 99 reviews)

• Great company with great benefits (in 117 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is sometimes a challenge (in 32 reviews)

• Sales reps all calling on same opportunities (in 48 reviews)

1. "Technology Division Company Review"

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedule to pick up kids and shuttle your family around.

Cons

Highly political atmosphere. Micromanagement. Training benefit is often denied. salaries are below market. Not using the latest technologies. To remain marketable you will have to do side projects on your own time. I now see when layoffs could be necessary. Having loyalty is commendable but not a the expense of innovation.

Advice to Management

When innovative management leaves find out why and change. Trickling down changes through the many layers of management does not work.

2. "Riverside Office is Awful"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Riverside, CA

I worked at Paychex full-time

Pros

Great Training. Great Benefits. Awesome Operations team.

Cons

The Riverside office is made up of a bunch of hungry wolves ready to feast on every current client and new business owner available. They position themselves as HCM company, yes they are, however they oversell the business owner all day long. Expect the product to be over priced, and their code of conduct shady. If you like to be micro managed and hounded for sales everyday then this is the place for you. You will do well here if you do not have a conscious and don't care about people.

Advice to Management

Start caring about your employees as if they were people and not puppets to get you to your own selfish revenue goals. If you want to be a great manager you should lead by example. Promote mangers that are deserving of the position.

3. "Total TRAP company"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good Benefits for the employees

Cons

-Horrible management
    -Micromanagement is an understatement
    -Compensation is a joke
    -Don't expect to take your vacation time

Advice to Management

Don't walk, RUN from this company. Turnover is something I've never seen in all my career. No one stays at this place more than 3 years max. If you enjoy being micromanaged and having meetings about meetings all while making no money, this company is perfect for you. They will always have trainings and meetings as their way of bringing you to the office because none of the paranoid management trusts any of their reps. You are required to do 100s of time wasting reports throughout the year so they can track every last statistic on you and find something to have more meetings about. They will call that development. A company that prides themselves on being ethical, you will find this is the least ethical company out there. Sell payroll by any means necessary. Get them on the board and let the operations worry about the aftermath. Follow a few recruiters on LinkedIn and you will see how desperate they are to hire anyone. They will tout that they are in Fortune Magazines Top 100 companies to work for. Do your research you will find, this company is no where on any Top 100. They will promote a fun work atmosphere but is far from anything enjoyable.

They will use 1 or 2 reps on each team who have advantageous territories to sell you the pipe dream that success is attainable but 9 out of 10 reps hired will be gone within 24 months once they figure out the bag of goods that was falsely sold to them. One of the lowest paid base salaries out there, this is a very entry level company. Regardless if what they say, 90% of sales reps will not ever eclipse $75K.

Training is essentially spring break and if you somehow make the presidents club trip, unless you are in the top 5% of the entire company, you will be sharing a room with someone like you're back in college. That is their reward to you for bringing in insane amounts of revenue. You also will not be able to invite a guest/spouse on the trip which proves how cheap of a company this is. My husband was not allowed to come with me to their annual trip to Texas a few years back. I would not recommend this company to anyone except a college student with zero experience looking to get their first job under their belt. Most people will use this company for its well known training and catapult themselves into a much better company within 1 year. Steer clear.

5. "HR services"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miramar, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miramar, FL

I have been working at Paychex full-time

Pros

Great looking office due to location

Cons

Stay away!!!! run from this company.. if you don't belong to their Click you wont make it. they will tell this comes from ex discretional employee. Not True

Advice to Management

None

"Poor Sales Management with no clue what she's doing since day she was promoted."

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Started as a great place to be. My direct leader was great but has since left. Team started great, but has turned over non stop. Reps do not ever feel valued. And yes even the good ones.

Cons

We have an HRS Zone Manager who has been in last place since she has gotten the job. No clue what's she's doing. Projections on to of projections make no sense. Never is in field with rep. Not sure why she is still on position. Scary to think it's accepted.

Advice to Management

Clean up zone manager. Make job fun again. Doubt you'll listen but hopefully one of these days we'll get a true leader. We had one but he left after the job became miserable.

"I would give them half a star if I could."

Pros

None. This USED to be a good company to work for. It's not anymore. Paychex doesn't care about their employees at all. My particular office has had AT LEAST 14 (that I can think of off the top of my head) Payroll Specialists quit in the last 6 months and we've had 2 supervisors step down. Work load continues to go up with no match in pay. Clients are becoming increasingly nasty, and some of that has to do with constant employee churn. Those of us still working there are expected to put up with the abuse with a smile.

Cons

Everything. Don't work for Paychex. It's not worth it. You will be over worked and under paid. You will be verbally abused by clients while managers act like you could have done something different to have had the call go differently.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Pay them what they're worth. If your employees are happy they will take good care of your clients.

"No communication, immense amount of turnover, no work-life balance!!"

Former Employee - Core Sales
    Former Employee - Core Sales

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good first time sales job. Exposes sales rep to the real life of business to business sales!

Cons

No communication. Extreme management turnover. No consistency. Company policy is consistently violated by management in order to meet company goals/quotas. Constant harassment regarding quotas and numbers. All responsibility gets pushed around (no one takes responsibility for anything). More responsibility pushed onto sales because Implementation claims they are over worked, all the while they can be found doing jigsaw puzzles at their desks. Customer service suffers because they hire temps to handle client service, and they are a revolving door with no ownership in the company or the clients.

Advice to Management

Get it together or you will continue to lose good people.

"Avoid at all costs"

Former Employee - Benefits Advisor in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Benefits Advisor in Rochester, NY

I worked at Paychex full-time

Pros

Nothing comes to mind at the moment

Cons

Stop advertising yourself as a company that cares about its employees, because obviously you don't. My first day out on the floor, and out of training, I was yelled at by a TL because I was supposed to be on a different screen! Yelled at in front of the entire department!

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate your management team, stop treating people like crap. Spend the time on your employees to get them where they need to be! Don't ignore the employees YOU feel that aren't right for the job from day one.

Paychex Response

Feb 21, 2017 – Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Would you be willing to provide more detail so we can look into the issues you mentioned. If so, you can ... More

"Sales, take a good long look"

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company has great executive c-level leadership.

Strong investing strategy for technology.  Ahead of the market in full service offerings for small business owners.

Paychex does not carry debt.

Lot of divisions of Paychex, which helps fill multiple client needs with one vendor and provides more depth in employment opportunities.

The company has a great value proposition for how they help business owners save time and stay efficient.  Partnership with the AICPA and major Banks are great to see and use for credibility.

I listened to a panel of successful people at our company, and they said it is great because we are all successful by different ways.  Paychex has multiple ways to conduct business and you can find your niche and produce results in a multitude of different ways.

I have seen examples where someone was internally promoted and they run a top performing team.  The team states how helpful and reliable their mentor/manager is, and you can see the positivity and growth.  My team and myself are not in this category at all, but we all want to be.  This could be a great job, with a great company, and although my comments below will not reflect that at all for my zone, there are areas and people in the company I know have a great winning culture.

Cons

My goal with this share is to provide insight on working here for people who are considering a new role, and for current employees to know they are not alone in some examples.

Looking through other glass door posts, I noticed a lot of repetition of employees talking about bullying by management, and awful leaders.  Which is so true.  If you are considering sales look at all of the specific sales feedback.  People are not treated well.

I have never been a part of a company with such an awful negative culture.  The turn over situation is the worst imaginable.

This is a very high stress job.  Often I find coworkers crying or breaking down.

Benefits are not good at all, the worst for any corporation I have worked for. They even make people wait for 1 year to get a 401k, I assume since turnover is so high and many people don’t stay that long.

From a sales perspective, people don’t average hitting quota. Senior reps have it the worst, as their quotas are so high.  In our zone there are about 70-80 reps.  I have been on recognition calls where one of my peers finished in the top three of revenue and units, and still did not achieve quota.

Only a few people even hit quota let alone bonus.

Recognition calls are a bad joke, 50% of the time the zone manager is ranting, raving, and warning us about their boss.  After the last call I asked my peers, who were top performers, how the call went and they felt bad, not good, at all. We have another one today, the entire team moaned, remind you we are talking about recognition, something that should be celebrated.

Service has been a huge issue, clients are having awful service stories.  Frequently, we are made aware of services issues, and clients state they have been trying to get responses for days if not weeks.  Once made aware of an issue we as sales employees cannot get them help.  We had partners in for a team meeting, and they are sharing stories that the current clients blow them off and are upset. We market into our clients so hard, but we are not even providing the current service they are paying for, now we are trying to triple their invoice for new service.

Leadership is nonexistent here, only managers, I have been through multiple managers in my time with the company and it is absolutely astonishing the type of people that carousel in and out of the position.  None have ever been internally hired, which is not a good driver for engagement, moral, or the development of people.

Routinely peoples jobs are threatened.

We had a zone meeting which is about 80 people.  Everyone in the room was asked to raise their hand if this was their first busy selling season, half of the room raised their hand.  The zone manager said "good, that is better than last year".

Instead of planning strategically and working on a growth plan, they just treat people awful.  The team brings up negativity in our team meetings, only to get a more negative response.  Turnover is tremendously high, and it is interesting as many reps have the breakthrough to success in years 2-3, not many stay that long.

In front of our whole zone, our manager shared employees who were awful, "they sucked big time", "they went to a competitor", they were out loud bullying people in front of a whole group, it is the culture.  I have been in meetings where the manager and zone manager both have called current employees malicious names, and talked badly about current employees and peers.  But they can't figure out why only 5% of their people are successful compared to 35% companywide.

Commissions are a nightmare. The average rep doesn’t know how they get paid. The commission book is so thick. There are so many loopholes and catches into when you get paid and when you don’t. You have to track everything as there is no good system in place to track new sales and specifically referrals. Even the most senior people don’t truly know.

Numbers, Numbers, Numbers……..all the managers can do is collect and report numbers.  Never mind learning salesforce enough to be able to accurately forecast, no chance.  They want to ask you Monday morning as a team, Monday afternoon on a weekly 1 on 1, Wednesday, Friday, and any other time the zone manager is on a rampage.  And then the zone manager has a tantrum every month as we did not finish at all like we forecasted.  Management spends all of their time interviewing new people and trying to collect numbers.  If they just focused half of that time on training, development, and comprehending the industry changes they would not have to worry about performance and hiring, performance would grow organically.

CPAs:  I did a survey and asked different CPA firms their opinions on Paychex.  The common trend over and over was they cannot stand the turnover.  They want to know who is seeing and presenting to their clients and derive a business relationship that is ongoing.  Right now we have so many CPAs complaining about awful service, people cannot get answers in a timely manner, and a lot of errors are happening. Our zone manager sent out a success story: it said a sales rep was going to bring on a new CPA as a partner, however the deal fell through because of awful service and too many errors. He said the CPA firm left us for a year and decided to give us another shot, and that was a success story.

Referrals are the most important part of the job.  Recruiters and hiring managers may tell you only negative people post on Glass door, but look at the posts for sales roles.  If you find this helpful or intriguing look at the managers you may have to work for on LinkedIn, does the team endorse them for leadership or management?  Notice all of the recruiters and their posts. I found astonishing trends, and found more and more people who had terrible stories for how they are treated.  To many similarities among clients, CPAs, and most importantly how employees were treated, not just isolated incidents.

Advice to Management

Hire Leaders.  People who have the attitude to take any underperforming rep or team and be able to have the confidence to make them better.  Listen to understand, not to reply.  Build strong teams by understanding peoples true goals.  Build a culture that breed success, don’t try to just keep turning employees over trying to hire the next best person.

Your company is fragmented. So many different divisions and parts that don’t work well together. It confuses clients and employees on who is supposed to be doing what.

Stop accepting high turnover as ok in sales, I know many sales organizations have 30-40% turnover, so even though it is perhaps not unusual, don’t make it acceptable.  Develop and retain talent, bottom performers can become top performers if you have the right culture, leaders, and plans in place.

Partners: Having H/B, HR, 401k, Merchant, Flex Time…….all of these revenue channels are great to be able to expand the portfolio, increase revenue streams, and have a more full featured solution to retain clients.  However in the last few weeks, my HR rep quit, H & B rep quit, 401k quit, and both HRGs quit.  Why? Leaders are saying that we pay low salaries, so when people don’t make sales they quit.  I do not except this, neither should you.  People are not being developed and supported.

Trust your recruiters, keep the people you hire, make them smarter with industry and product knowledge.  I am seeing managers rant and rave in front of groups of people that say how good they were at sales when they sold, but simply cannot get the group inspired enough to grow and retain.  Those are managers, not leaders.

Hire/Promote internally frequently.

Encourage employees to believe in the product first hand.  Why are we not finding a way to have our employees use our Flex software?  We as employees should be on our Flex product so we can interact and use it like a client would, it makes no sense for us to use another system when we need to take days off or look up our pay information. We should be using Paychex Flex or at least a Paychex product so we can get more comfortable and be advocates about what we sell.

Paychex Response

Feb 16, 2017 – Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide such an in-depth review. We're sorry to hear that your experience hasn't been positive but we appreciate your feedback. Have you reached out to your HR ... More

"Horrible place to work for!"

Former Employee - Online Payroll Technical Support Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Online Payroll Technical Support Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are ok, most employee's are great to work with.

Cons

TOO many to list. Pay is way to low for what they ask of you. Management is horrible! Instead of bonuses for doing great they give the employees a jeans day and act like they just filled the presents under the christmas tree! Annual raises are a joke. Not even a cost of living increase. I worked there for 5 years and only made a couple of bucks more an hour than brand new temps they would hire. Annual raises are between 0-5% but never heard of anyone ever getting higher than a 3.7%. With no bonuses and no profit sharing that's just a slap in the face. They will definitely give out 0% raises, but never 5%'s! Management is completely 2 faced and will throw you under the bus any chance they get. They don't care about the "lil guy" because we're just pee ons to them who help them make bigger bonuses! We never get praise for doing good, but always get in trouble when something goes wrong. They even terminated 20+ temps because they said our service levels were "too good", and people calling in should have to wait. Management and Sales people are the only people who make big money yet its the other positions who keep the clients happy.

Advice to Management

Treat your employee's better and not as if they're there to make you a higher bonus at the end of the year.

Showing 122 of 1,470 reviews