Paychex Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 27, 2017

2.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"It was a good start for resume experience"

Pros

Learned a lot and grew through out my time there. Helped me branch outward to better opportunities. The company Itself isn’t a bad company.

Cons

Management picks favorites, certain employees are given special treatment simply because they are “buddy buddy” with the boss. Lower pay than other companies with similar positions. There is always someone watching your every move, whether it be your supervisor, manager, or coworkers. Coworkers will say anything about you to the supervisor to make them selves look better and get themselves ahead of you.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about who is friendly to your face and focus on who actually is getting their daily workload done efficient and accurately.

"Churn and Burn"

I worked at Paychex full-time

Pros

You get to meet some really great people who are hard workers, adept at their role, and desire to be successful.

Cons

You are told through training you are becoming part of the Paychex family where people bleed Paychex blue. That is true, for about 3% of the people I encountered and most work in a constant state of fear and strife. Departments are vetted against each other where management is somewhat aware, but when confronted were more concerned with staring at a spreadsheet trying to find a decimal. When I worked there, I was the most tenured on my team after a little over a year, and that was not because everyone was promoted.

Advice to Management

Look at the culture and do everything you can to fix it, which can't be done staring at a spreadsheet.

"Retired employee"

Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Albany, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

After 15+ years, pay was good, benefits good

Cons

No one really left at our branch, just 2 specialists left at office. Everyone else is mostly out of Rochester. Training is not what it used to be. Heard that because training was expensive and with high turnover the original training was ended. It is a rush in with minimal training and put on the phone. They know very little and make many mistakes. For those few of us left that had training, and are dedicated, you are not appreciated. There is so much work with not enough time I and others start working off the clock 1/2 early. God forbid you are not done by 5, all that overtime has to be used up adding to your lunch time. Really makes sense!!

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees. The only ones that get ahead know how to use the system. Don't make everything so hard.

"Sales Leadership"

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company has excellent job security and a strong training program for sales representatives in addition to many different divisions filled with various opportunities. The product lines are excellent and the customer service is beginning to show signs of significant improvement after a couple of years of difficulty.

Cons

At one time not too long ago, Paychex placed a significant value on the role of sales leadership. Unfortunately, in recent years, there has been a significant drop in that perception to the point where very few sales representatives have any interest in pursuing a career in leadership. Worse yet, most of us already in that role have absolutely no interest in the director position above us. The only expectation of us at this time is to sell as much as we can in this month...there is little to any conversation about what opportunities exist in the future. Our unrealistic pursuit of sales growth has devoured some really good people and very strong sales leaders in this company, and many more aren't far behind.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate your perception of the value of sales leadership and begin to recognize the contributions made beyond revenue alone. We are now in the second year of ridiculously high revenue expectations and too many people are not making incentive income above their salaries (which are below industry averages). Stop fixing the problem with short term contests and incentives, and address the fundamental issues related to leadership compensation plans and revenue expectations that vary wildly depending upon where you are in the country.

"Great start, steadily declining experience."

Current Employee - HCM Consultant in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - HCM Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Substantial training, good name recognition, understanding and lenient with rookies, national call center assists with appointment setting. This is a company you can move up in, especially if you are willing to relocate.

Cons

Highly reactive at the corporate level and makes sweeping changes under duress from their stockholders without any consideration for the impact on the staff (and even more notably, the client). Service is plummeting, they keep adding sales divisions to add to their bottom line, but bombard every new customer with endless sales calls. Impossible to get current client referrals because nobody wants to put their friends in a position to get hammered by telemarketers. Accountants don’t want to refer Paychex because we poach their wealth management, and brokerage partnerships. The core sales division is getting virtualized and segmented into smaller market spaces, but asked to deliver more new clients year over year. The culture is disintegrating around us and we all want our managers to win, because they are generally good, but they have no shot at quota when the sales team members are abandoning ship before they drown. Help

Advice to Management

Your focus groups are being held in a vacuum and the real engine of growth for your company is fed up.

"401(k)/S125"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, lots of carbs.

Cons

Changes in all levels of management easily and drastically altered employee engagement and job satisfaction, very poor pay and meager "raises," horrendous IT and support, selling clients "integrated" services yet in reality, none of it is integrated.

Advice to Management

A company's guiding values should mean something, Try painting them on the wall at the employee entrance instead of at the guest entrance...

You cannot keep doing things exactly as you have been and expect continued results, actually listen to employee engagement survey feedback, and offer competitive pay.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good training for new sales people

Cons

Bad management depending on city. It could be great, it could be terrible varies by city. Bad customer service makes sales difficult.

Advice to Management

Focus on fixing customer service issues instead of trying to increment sales. There are more profits in mainting existing clients. Listen to sales people’s input instead of arguing and acting like sales people are being negative. Encourage partnerships with the right incentives.

"It hasn't been good. Management only want to do what is best for them."

Current Employee - Flex Forward Upgrade Coordinator in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Flex Forward Upgrade Coordinator in Rochester, NY

Pros

Flexible hours is about the only good thing that it has going for it.

Cons

Management does not care to develop employees or see them succeed. Only want to help themselves.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

"Software Developer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Webster, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Webster, NY

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No layoffs, good benefits, good dividend stock

Cons

Very stressful, management micromanages, low pay

"Payroll specialist"

Former Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Rochester, NY

I worked at Paychex (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, 40 hour week guaranteed, PTO

Cons

Underpaid, overworked, changes made by management will usually make your day harder instead of easier and they will combine departments so your doing 2 people's work without a raise

Showing 251 of 1,752 reviews