Paychex Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci
Martin Mucci

Cons

1. "Started off well, ended horrible"

Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Allentown, PA

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the relationships you build with your clients as a payroll specialist make your job a bit more tolerable.

Cons

Pay is horrible for the amount of work you put in. Lied to from the beginning, was told you would be able to "senior" (go through training) at your own pace, that was a lie. You are constantly rushed through your training because supervisors want to get a bonus. Work load is outrageous due to people constantly quitting. Management barely knows how to do payroll them self let alone answer any of your questions. You're basically on your own unless you have some friendly knowledgeable teammates who don't mind putting their load of work aside to assist you. No home/work balance.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your employees suggestions as they are the ones who are actually doing the job, maybe the turn over rate wouldn't be so high. Train management on the actual job the employees are doing so they can be some sort of help.

2. "Could be better"

Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Albany, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Insurance is good value for those who partake

Cons

We have become a call center, which is too bad for the client. There has been restructuring in our branch but has not made it better. When I started training was catamount, now there is no structure for training, newer employees know very little. I don't want them doing my clients payroll. If you are good at what you are doing, you do not move ahead, as they do not want to loose you out of payroll entry.

Advice to Management

Give recognition for those that do a good job. Stop accommodating those that don't do a good job.

3. "Payroll Specialist"

Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in High Point, NC

I worked at Paychex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are always doing things for their employees.

Cons

Work overload, very hard to become a senior payroll specialist

"Payroll Specialist"

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Denver, CO

Pros

Payroll knowledge. Food. Not much else.

Cons

Non competitive salary. Long hours due to high turnover. Poor work/life balance

Advice to Management

Hire more people

6. "Employees are a second thought"

Former Employee - GENERAL LEDGER in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - GENERAL LEDGER in Nashville, TN

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office is pretty laid back with dress code. Events committee does a good job of having everyone come together and office fun.

Cons

Turning into a call center. Poor management and supervisors. They have no idea about product knowledge so are of no help when you have a client on the phone with a question. They don't have your future in mind with your goals and you have to ask permission to switch departments or move up. The pay is also not worth the hours and time you put in. This might not be for every department or location, but I wouldn't recommend this company to work for in Nashville. Definitely not a workplace that is looking for someone with a degree.

Advice to Management

Know what you're selling and how it works to be able to help your employees out. Be professional at all times and make employees feel like they are worth something.

"Core Sales - Good Entry Level Sales Job if you don't enjoy sleeping at night"

Former Employee - Core Payroll Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Core Payroll Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tremendous amount of flexibility depending on your direct supervisor. You can make decent money if you were decent at selling.

Cons

Very high activity quotas. You must see current clients while scheduling sales calls. However, your are told not to ask the client how things are going. You do not want to be responsible for any issues they are having, just hold out your hand and expect referrals. The product is very high priced. They instruct their reps to take advantage of specific industries/prospects and full bill them. Knowing they would eventually bounce their payroll - "just get them to run 4 payrolls" so it counts as a sale. If clients want to push their payroll into the next month, some of the word tracks given were misleading or completely false intending to intimidate or bully client into running a payroll when they weren't ready. They are one of the most "ethical companies", but that is far from what I experienced during my two years there.

Operations is currently undergoing a reorganization. There have been some hiccups. Clients not getting call backs, specialists overwhelmed with accounts, lack of accountability. Once the dust settles, this issue will probably resolve itself.

Product is over priced in a commodity industry.

Unless you are looking for entry level sales experience and this is the only option you can get - I would look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Do not sacrifice ethics for a sale.

Paychex Response

Apr 5, 2017 – Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are concerned by some of the cons you mentioned and would like to learn more. Would you be willing to provide more feedback on your time at ... More

8. "Payroll Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities within the company, extensive training programs and benefits.

Cons

Very low pay and micromanaged

Advice to Management

Give your employees a little room, a micro managed environment is difficult to be in. For the type of work performed, the pay needs to be re-evaluated.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales in Denver, CO

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance
    Sales Recognition
    Entry level sales job, perfect for college grads
    Conference trips
    Training program
    Some great managers

Cons

Base pay is way below standard and never increase in the last decade. Comm plan keeps changing every year with unrealistic quotas. The company is behind the time and very stuffy/old school. Operation and client implementation is extremely poor.

Advice to Management

Less sales reps and better territory assignment. Base pay increase. Get with the time!

"Implementation Specialist"

Former Employee - Implementation Specialist II in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Implementation Specialist II in Rochester, NY

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and atmosphere. Great work/life balance

Cons

Management was terrible. So many broken promises. I came over to Multi Product Service Center in Dec 2015. Was told we would be able to transition clients to ongoing support by March 2016. By the time I left in Nov 2016, I still was not able to transition clients which created a huge backlog and overload. On my annual review I exceeded every single statistical metric we had (sometimes more than doubled the metric) and for my review I received "Meets expectations." Very cheap company that pays well below market. I am good friends with a manager there who told me all employees are replaceable. It shows since I was being paid 22% below market value for my position. I left the company and went from making a little over $45k to making $65k with 10% quarterly bonuses to do the same work.

Advice to Management

Keep your promises

11. "Test engineer"

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer III in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer III in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You get lots of Environments downtime. Relax time. Laid back.

Cons

Working with other teams is very hard. Hard to get information from other team. Some of the analysts that i worked did not know thiet stuff.

Advice to Management

Career advance.. Not to those who work hard.
    The annual review is a joke.

Showing 228 of 1,563 reviews