Paychex Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci
Martin Mucci

1,380 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • There is a good work-life balance in my group as well, and I think this is true for most of the organization as a whole (in 94 reviews)

• Great company with great benefits (in 113 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is sometimes a challenge (in 31 reviews)

• They teach sales reps product knowledge, not how to sell the product (in 47 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company works very well as a team to success. Your great work is always recognized. They work well with you if you are having a hard time understanding something. Very patient. Its like working with a family. :) overall the best company I have ever worked for!

Cons

The only downside I must say is that I no longer work with this company and I hope that maybe one day I will get back.

Advice to Management

You are all doing a great job working with all you employee's as well as with your clients. I most definitely enjoyed working with Paychex.

"Working for Paychex: it's all pros!"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Nashville, TN

Pros

There are so many! Its a great company that takes great care of its employees! This year it increased our 401k match, lowered our quotas and increased our compensation! As a sales person, they have made it wonderful! Gave us new technology and better assesments of our performance. It helps that I have great managers, too, though.

Cons

We are the most expensive payroll provider, so that's tough at times, but other than that, it's really wonderful! Paperwork sucks, but that's at any job.

Advice to Management

As gas prices are rocketing, I'd hope our gas allowance and/or expenses would too.

"Great Training and Benefits but Boring Products"

Former Employee - Human Resources Consultant in Valley Forge, PA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Consultant in Valley Forge, PA

Pros

Paychex is exceptionally dedicated to training and offers great benefits. They flew me out to Rochester and put me up in a suite for 3 weeks for training when I first started. Then they sent me back three months later for a week of follow-up training. As an added benefit, it really built camaraderie and a sense of belonging. That is so important in building teamwork and making people want to go the extra mile as opposed to screw the company the first chance they get.

Cons

It's payroll and benefits. Boring. I guess I prefer having products that are more interesting or innovative. For those that do not perform well, you will probably leave before you are let go because you can't make a good living without hitting your sales goals. Also, they often promote the best sales people into sales management without recognizing that the skills that make someone a good salesperson are often not translated into being a good manager.

Advice to Management

The commitment to training and rewards for the top performers keeps you ahead of the competition.

5. "Great company, Highly recommended."

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Manchester, NH

Pros

Great company with no micro-management.
    Reps are given the autonomy to make business decisions and create mutually beneficial relationships with CPA's and Bankers to generate refferals. Managers are supportive and want you to suceed so are more then happy to offer support and advice. If you have a bad month they will analyse the reasons for this and even go on appointments to help you get back on track. Sales Manager that can walk the walk is great.
    Its not an easy job but I am satisfied with the workload and the compensation at Paychex. We are treated with respect and its not a hard product. You just have to get in front of as many people as possible.

Cons

None. The job is tough but most the employees seem to enjoy the challenge.

Advice to Management

Too much paper work

6. "Great company and great people"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in San Bernardino, CA

Pros

The company is based on good old fashioned principles. No worries about our financials -- the company has no debt.

Cons

Payroll gets boring after awhile

Advice to Management

Spend more money on technology and marketing.

7. "Great place to work, good reputation, excellent career advancements......althought very stressful at times."

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Owings Mills, MD

Pros

They really do make it a great place to work. They offer great benefits and will help you move up.

Cons

It is stressful, think about it. We are process payroll, what happens if your check is wrong? Its never a perfect world and you have to know how to quickly handle a problem and find a solution.

Advice to Management

Core Advanced please?!!!! Our core payroll platform needs to go.

8. "Great benefits, job security and opportunity for advancement"

Current Employee - Developer in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Developer in Rochester, NY

Pros

Job security and the opportunity to advance

Cons

not as much recognition for achievement as other companies

Advice to Management

Need to understand roles of departments better

9. "Great place to work if your desire for success is high."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Excellent training, income potential, and potential for advancement. The culture at Paychex is very healthy and if you have the drive, you can succeed. The product line is very strong and works as advirtised. Potential for high income on both sales and management side if production is there.

Cons

Too much turnover on sales rep position can make the Sales Manager job difficult. Finding "right person" for the job not as easy as it seems. Sales Manager job varies greatly based on individual sales reps--- get a group group and teach them correctly and it's the best job in the world... the wrong group or good people with bad training and its no fun at all...

Advice to Management

Listen to what your managers are telling you.

10. "Paychex is a fantastic place to work, learn, grow, and retire."

Current Employee - MMS Sales Representative in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - MMS Sales Representative in Tucson, AZ

Pros

The best reasons to work at Paychex are the opportunity for advancement and the job stability. Paychex has never had lay offs, and unless you are an idiot, you cannot get fired. It's a great company that does very well, you know they won't be closing their doors anytime soon. People sometimes take Paychex for granted, and then things like this happen to the economy to make you appreciate your current employer. I have been there 10 years now, I went from making $24K to $100K+. I know many people that started as a receptionist or a temp and is now a branch manager or zone manager. Great place to start out of college.

Cons

Some of the downsides are the way promotions are handled. It's all politics, as I'm sure every office is. They need to pay their operations people more though.

Advice to Management

Put more money into technology and pay the account specialist more in Major Market Services.

11. "Working for a company ranked by Fortune as a "Best Places to Work"."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Pros

There is a high level of respect and appreciation shared by my boss, co-workers and throughout the company. This being said, I understand why we have been ranked as one Fortune's "Best Places to Work". Having worked previously for a former Fortune 500 company, Paychex really stands out in all that is offered to their employees, especially as companies are cutting back. Some examples: importance of work/family balance, pro-active health and wellness opportunities, recognition celebrations, electronic employee newsletter, development planning opportunities, senior managements positive communication at conferences, annual meetings and during year-end. Combined, this helps promote a positive work atmosphere.

Cons

Limited health care benefits offered, prescription coverage is an additional cost. Uncertain of growth in terms of the payscale for my position. The amount of information available to employees is somewhat astounding, it can be difficult to navigate through.

Advice to Management

The fact that there has been little to no change in the senior management team at Paychex is an example to your shareholders and employees that you believe and are investing in this company for the long haul. Thus motivating employees to invest their careers here at Paychex as well.

When respect and appreciation are given, it is always received in return.

Showing 1,380 of 1,411 reviews