Paychex Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 19, 2017
1,367 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,367 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • There is a good work-life balance in my group as well, and I think this is true for most of the organization as a whole (in 94 reviews)

• Great company with great benefits (in 112 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is sometimes a challenge (in 31 reviews)

• They teach sales reps product knowledge, not how to sell the product (in 47 reviews)

1. "Senior Human Resources Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norristown, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norristown, PA

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good training, great benefits, company is growing and offers opportunities for growth and promotion.

Cons

There is a pervasive culture of micromanagement and a "what have you done for me lately" approach. Management can be short-sighted.

Advice to Management

Take past performance into consideration when addressing employees. Don't treat proven veterans like unproven rookies.

2. "Working at Paychex"

Pros

Paychex is filled with people who work hard to win.

Cons

Paychex could be more competitive with salaries.

"Heed the warnings on Glassdoor.com"

I have been working at Paychex full-time

Pros

Occasional lunches and casual days; decent benefits; the overworked mentors are very helpful as are most of the supervisors and coworkers; the very likable and personable senior managers at the location; if you want to do the job, you will learn how to enter and process payrolls.

Cons

Lower pay than industry standard. Not being able to take time off during busy times of year. Being placed into a training program that is presented as superior, but only prepares you for the most basic of duties. Before training is even complete, being given too many clients at once who are desperate for assistance with questions you don't know how to answer because they haven't had a payroll specialist in months and have been neglected (but that you don't know how to help because all you were taught was how to enter payroll). Lack of an attendance policy resulting in many team members calling in several times a month, resulting in extra work for you EVERY SINGLE DAY. Not long after training (and way before you have a foothold with your own workload), being thrown into the telephone queue without even being told so you can help everyone else's clients. Having to apologize to aforementioned clients because you're (A) their third specialist in the past six months due to high turnover or (B) the client of another staff member who won't call them back, who has spoken with a specific supervisor (The only one I ever had a complaint about, and I had several in the few months I was there) who also won't call them back although they've been "researching" a complicated issue for six months.

Advice to Management

Stop taking on new clients until you have the staffing to handle the clients you already have. Clients will only pay for sub-standard service (and dedicated payroll specialists that they may only have half of the time) for so long. Do away with the queues and let each specialist take care of their own clients so they aren't on the phones with other representatives' clients when their own clients call (The clients are better off when their own specialist takes their payroll information, and the specialist is better off when they aren't having to fix multiple errors because the other specialist didn't do it correctly).

5. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of Ethisphere's most ethical companies year after year, excellent benefits package, cohesive working environment, many opportunities for advancement. Only have to stay in the position you're hired in for one year before applying for other opportunities.

Cons

There isn't any real downside to working for Paychex, other than your management team may be remote from Rochester. They do make an effort to visit the office often.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging employees and exploring their career paths within Paychex. I'd like to see more collaboration across management teams.

6. "Senior Payroll Specialist"

Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Fair Lawn, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Fair Lawn, NJ

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training. Many resources. Benefits are good.

Cons

Workload can be overwhelming at times.

7. "Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Washington, DC

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great money, manage your own business, build relationship, meet all kinds of business owners/managers

Cons

Micro managed at times, quotas can be challenging to hit certain months, no residuals

Advice to Management

Management is awesome and gives us all the tools to succeed. Love the direction of this company!

8. "Sales, take a good long look"

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company has great executive c-level leadership.

Strong investing strategy for technology.  Ahead of the market in full service offerings for small business owners.

Paychex does not carry debt.

Lot of divisions of Paychex, which helps fill multiple client needs with one vendor and provides more depth in employment opportunities.

The company has a great value proposition for how they help business owners save time and stay efficient.  Partnership with the AICPA and major Banks are great to see and use for credibility.

I listened to a panel of successful people at our company, and they said it is great because we are all successful by different ways.  Paychex has multiple ways to conduct business and you can find your niche and produce results in a multitude of different ways.

I have seen examples where someone was internally promoted and they run a top performing team.  The team states how helpful and reliable their mentor/manager is, and you can see the positivity and growth.  My team and myself are not in this category at all, but we all want to be.  This could be a great job, with a great company, and although my comments below will not reflect that at all for my zone, there are areas and people in the company I know have a great winning culture.

Cons

My goal with this share is to provide insight on working here for people who are considering a new role, and for current employees to know they are not alone in some examples.

Looking through other glass door posts, I noticed a lot of repetition of employees talking about bullying by management, and awful leaders.  Which is so true.  If you are considering sales look at all of the specific sales feedback.  People are not treated well.

I have never been a part of a company with such an awful negative culture.  The turn over situation is the worst imaginable.

This is a very high stress job.  Often I find coworkers crying or breaking down.

Benefits are not good at all, the worst for any corporation I have worked for. They even make people wait for 1 year to get a 401k, I assume since turnover is so high and many people don’t stay that long.

From a sales perspective, people don’t average hitting quota. Senior reps have it the worst, as their quotas are so high.  In our zone there are about 70-80 reps.  I have been on recognition calls where one of my peers finished in the top three of revenue and units, and still did not achieve quota.

Only a few people even hit quota let alone bonus.

Recognition calls are a bad joke, 50% of the time the zone manager is ranting, raving, and warning us about their boss.  After the last call I asked my peers, who were top performers, how the call went and they felt bad, not good, at all. We have another one today, the entire team moaned, remind you we are talking about recognition, something that should be celebrated.

Service has been a huge issue, clients are having awful service stories.  Frequently, we are made aware of services issues, and clients state they have been trying to get responses for days if not weeks.  Once made aware of an issue we as sales employees cannot get them help.  We had partners in for a team meeting, and they are sharing stories that the current clients blow them off and are upset. We market into our clients so hard, but we are not even providing the current service they are paying for, now we are trying to triple their invoice for new service.

Leadership is nonexistent here, only managers, I have been through multiple managers in my time with the company and it is absolutely astonishing the type of people that carousel in and out of the position.  None have ever been internally hired, which is not a good driver for engagement, moral, or the development of people.

Routinely peoples jobs are threatened.

We had a zone meeting which is about 80 people.  Everyone in the room was asked to raise their hand if this was their first busy selling season, half of the room raised their hand.  The zone manager said "good, that is better than last year".

Instead of planning strategically and working on a growth plan, they just treat people awful.  The team brings up negativity in our team meetings, only to get a more negative response.  Turnover is tremendously high, and it is interesting as many reps have the breakthrough to success in years 2-3, not many stay that long.

In front of our whole zone, our manager shared employees who were awful, "they sucked big time", "they went to a competitor", they were out loud bullying people in front of a whole group, it is the culture.  I have been in meetings where the manager and zone manager both have called current employees malicious names, and talked badly about current employees and peers.  But they can't figure out why only 5% of their people are successful compared to 35% companywide.

Commissions are a nightmare. The average rep doesn’t know how they get paid. The commission book is so thick. There are so many loopholes and catches into when you get paid and when you don’t. You have to track everything as there is no good system in place to track new sales and specifically referrals. Even the most senior people don’t truly know.

Numbers, Numbers, Numbers……..all the managers can do is collect and report numbers.  Never mind learning salesforce enough to be able to accurately forecast, no chance.  They want to ask you Monday morning as a team, Monday afternoon on a weekly 1 on 1, Wednesday, Friday, and any other time the zone manager is on a rampage.  And then the zone manager has a tantrum every month as we did not finish at all like we forecasted.  Management spends all of their time interviewing new people and trying to collect numbers.  If they just focused half of that time on training, development, and comprehending the industry changes they would not have to worry about performance and hiring, performance would grow organically.

CPAs:  I did a survey and asked different CPA firms their opinions on Paychex.  The common trend over and over was they cannot stand the turnover.  They want to know who is seeing and presenting to their clients and derive a business relationship that is ongoing.  Right now we have so many CPAs complaining about awful service, people cannot get answers in a timely manner, and a lot of errors are happening. Our zone manager sent out a success story: it said a sales rep was going to bring on a new CPA as a partner, however the deal fell through because of awful service and too many errors. He said the CPA firm left us for a year and decided to give us another shot, and that was a success story.

Referrals are the most important part of the job.  Recruiters and hiring managers may tell you only negative people post on Glass door, but look at the posts for sales roles.  If you find this helpful or intriguing look at the managers you may have to work for on LinkedIn, does the team endorse them for leadership or management?  Notice all of the recruiters and their posts. I found astonishing trends, and found more and more people who had terrible stories for how they are treated.  To many similarities among clients, CPAs, and most importantly how employees were treated, not just isolated incidents.

Advice to Management

Hire Leaders.  People who have the attitude to take any underperforming rep or team and be able to have the confidence to make them better.  Listen to understand, not to reply.  Build strong teams by understanding peoples true goals.  Build a culture that breed success, don’t try to just keep turning employees over trying to hire the next best person.

Your company is fragmented. So many different divisions and parts that don’t work well together. It confuses clients and employees on who is supposed to be doing what.

Stop accepting high turnover as ok in sales, I know many sales organizations have 30-40% turnover, so even though it is perhaps not unusual, don’t make it acceptable.  Develop and retain talent, bottom performers can become top performers if you have the right culture, leaders, and plans in place.

Partners: Having H/B, HR, 401k, Merchant, Flex Time…….all of these revenue channels are great to be able to expand the portfolio, increase revenue streams, and have a more full featured solution to retain clients.  However in the last few weeks, my HR rep quit, H & B rep quit, 401k quit, and both HRGs quit.  Why? Leaders are saying that we pay low salaries, so when people don’t make sales they quit.  I do not except this, neither should you.  People are not being developed and supported.

Trust your recruiters, keep the people you hire, make them smarter with industry and product knowledge.  I am seeing managers rant and rave in front of groups of people that say how good they were at sales when they sold, but simply cannot get the group inspired enough to grow and retain.  Those are managers, not leaders.

Hire/Promote internally frequently.

Encourage employees to believe in the product first hand.  Why are we not finding a way to have our employees use our Flex software?  We as employees should be on our Flex product so we can interact and use it like a client would, it makes no sense for us to use another system when we need to take days off or look up our pay information. We should be using Paychex Flex or at least a Paychex product so we can get more comfortable and be advocates about what we sell.

Paychex Response

Feb 16, 2017 – Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide such an in-depth review. We're sorry to hear that your experience hasn't been positive but we appreciate your feedback. Have you reached out to your HR ... More

"Horrible place to work for!"

Former Employee - Online Payroll Technical Support Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Online Payroll Technical Support Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are ok, most employee's are great to work with.

Cons

TOO many to list. Pay is way to low for what they ask of you. Management is horrible! Instead of bonuses for doing great they give the employees a jeans day and act like they just filled the presents under the christmas tree! Annual raises are a joke. Not even a cost of living increase. I worked there for 5 years and only made a couple of bucks more an hour than brand new temps they would hire. Annual raises are between 0-5% but never heard of anyone ever getting higher than a 3.7%. With no bonuses and no profit sharing that's just a slap in the face. They will definitely give out 0% raises, but never 5%'s! Management is completely 2 faced and will throw you under the bus any chance they get. They don't care about the "lil guy" because we're just pee ons to them who help them make bigger bonuses! We never get praise for doing good, but always get in trouble when something goes wrong. They even terminated 20+ temps because they said our service levels were "too good", and people calling in should have to wait. Management and Sales people are the only people who make big money yet its the other positions who keep the clients happy.

Advice to Management

Treat your employee's better and not as if they're there to make you a higher bonus at the end of the year.

10. "Sales"

I have been working at Paychex full-time

Pros

Great product and support team.

Cons

Competitive environment, hard to hit KPI's.

11. "PEO Sales"

Former Employee - DIRECTOR of SALES PHILADELPHIA/NEW JERSEY in Parkesburg, PA
    Former Employee - DIRECTOR of SALES PHILADELPHIA/NEW JERSEY in Parkesburg, PA

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Product and well positioned in the Market. Decent Training.

Cons

Large Company Red Tape. Changes occur on the fly in the PEO space making it difficult to start deals.

Advice to Management

Understand the market. Have PEO act as a separate entity within the company.

Showing 1,367 of 1,395 reviews