Paycom Executive Sales Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is a struggle (in 50 reviews)

• However they reward you for the hard work ethic (in 27 reviews)

"Sales: Great Development, but High Pressure"

Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great sales development and training. Sales rep is involved in implementation, which makes for a consistent experience for your customer. New Client Setup really cares about your clients. Client Relations takes care of your client. Pay is very fair once you are an executive rep. The product is great and I'm very proud to sell it.

Cons

Culture differs from office to office. Also, this is a recent con: For the whole country, you're supposed to close 2 deals a month. You HAVE to close a deal every 8 weeks, even if you're at quota for the whole year half way through, or you get written up, which results in being fired. Upper management sees this as a good thing, but I think it's important for every sales person evaluating Paycom to know. Paycom puts less pressure on you if you close two small deals a month rather than big monster deals every 2 months, even if the amount of revenue is the same. One big deal is often way more revenue than 4 small deals. The reason this is a con - if you close a big deal, you have to be involved in the whole setup because you won't let any one screw up that account for you. But, small deals require just as much attention. So in theory, you could have the more revenue with less account setup, but that's "Not Paycom's culture." Even though, with less setup, you have more time to focus on sales related activities and actually enjoy life since you have less clients calling you all day & night. At Paycom, it's not about results - it's about consistency.

Advice to Management

Evaluate the culture you want as we swim upstream. Yes these are mid market companies, but we are doing very large implementations, often with every single product. The new goal is to have the whole product setup by first payroll - how is that possible selling 2 companies a month? That means if implementation takes 8 weeks per company, and you are out of the account after 30 days, that means at any one time you are in a minimum of 6 account setups, and way more than that if you have longer more intense setups. There's been a lot of chatter of exec reps losing that warm and fuzzy feeling about Paycom. So if you say Good Riddance, that's on you.

"Executive Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Executive Sales Representative

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation and benefits offered. There are no other pros. Difficult to meet the 20 word minimum for this review. Terrible.

Cons

You'll reach a point where you will realize the money you make there does not outweigh the emotional strain this job puts on you, your friends and your family.

Outside sales representatives should be given flexibility to dictate their own schedules - not micromanaged.

Leadership is verbally abusive and not supportive. This company will legitimately brainwash you. So thankful I was strong enough to get out.

Advice to Management

Just change ASAP

Jul 6, 2017 – Paycom Representative

It’s unfortunate you did not appreciate your time at Paycom. With hard work comes great rewards. During your time with us, we hope you took the opportunity to address your experience and concerns... More

"The good, the bad, the ugly about Paycom"

I worked at Paycom full-time

Pros

-Training and development program
    -Head of sales is incredibly inspiring
    -Compensation opportunity ($200k+)
    -Medical plans $1 per pay period
    -Executive Sales Representatives quarterly training in Dallas
    -Culture used to be a huge plus but management has changed that significantly

Cons

-Success depends on office manager (take the job if you're applying in Orange County)
    -NEW senior leader has drastically changed sales culture (he will ask you about your religious views and political affiliation)
    -Management team does not value career sales, only as good as your last couple of deals
    -Politics for promotional opportunities
    -In 2016 Paycom changed President's Club location last minute from Grand Caymen Islands to Scottsdale, AZ
    -First year work/life balance (expect 60+ work weeks)
    -Buyers hate payroll companies and do not want to change
    -Overly competitive marketplace
    -Long sales cycles (4-6 months average)
    -Be prepared to facilitate and coordinate all payroll implementations without payroll training
    -Major turnover in sales organization (especially first year reps >70%)
    -Complex software to learn (diverse product set)
    -Gossip mill and politics across offices
    -Inexperienced managers due to lack of training
    -Internal HR department is extremely unprofessional and unprepared

Advice to Management

-Monitor the culture across offices
    -Pay attention to turnover and exit surveys, your culture is bleeding and you need to do something about it
    -Leader of the company needs to change dictator leadership style

May 18, 2017 – Paycom Representative

We appreciate you acknowledging the many positives to working in sales at Paycom. We strive to offer tremendous training, support and opportunity to our sales representatives. Regarding some of your... More

"The Stress of Micromanagemt"

Former Employee - Executive Sales Representative

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paycom is truly a great product and the opportunity to make crazy money at a young age is there. The sales offices are full of young and successful people who are great to spend time with. The sales training is amazing, definitely worth my time at Paycom just to go through that program. It really is equivalent to earning a BA in 1 month.

Cons

Expectations change on a weekly basis for sales offices. Every week there is a new metric that you need to hit and a new form of micromanagement to try to push you towards rarely achievable metrics. The "Paycom Standards" are ridiculous. The company vision is "world domination" (words from the CEO) and the sales team is understaffed for the types of numbers that they want offices to hit. You can expect your sales manager to be sitting next to you making sure to critique every phone call you make and not let you spend and extra 5 seconds off in between phone calls. You will be getting text messages and phone calls from the sales manager all day long asking for updates. The management is very young and immature. Everyone fears the CEO. At the end of the day, you just feel like you are getting stomped on by upper management. Once you think you have things figured out and everything is going well, the expectations will change the next week. Ask about the turnover rate for the sales team if you are interviewing for a sales position. Also, the company is going through some growing pains right now. Sales Reps are given too many responsibilities from the transition and client relations team, which is resulting is lower customer satisfaction than advertised because the Sales Reps are only trained to sell, not implement.

Advice to Management

Try to have some consistency. The standards and expectations change every week and it causes the moral to be extremely low. For a company that cares so much about company culture for their clients, the sales offices are treated like dirt.

Feb 16, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for sharing your feedback. The training regime and expectations of the Paycom sales team are both challenging and lofty – by design – and not for everyone. The HR technology software... More

"The truth is . . ."

I worked at Paycom full-time

Pros

Great pay once you reach Exec Rep Status. This has changed recently from starting 350k in business to 500k in business. I think the change is a good thing because deal sizes have increased drastically, and too many un-experienced reps were hitting this milestone withing one or to deals.

Great Benefits ($1 medical for employee only)

Amazing CSO (Jeff) - He is the most inspiring person you will ever meet, and is probably the major reason why people have trouble leaving Paycom.

Good People - Intelligent, well-rounded and friendly co-workers

Cons

I worked for Paycom for just over two years, and I will start by saying that I did well at Paycom. I was bought in early to product, the culture, and the people and as such I sold a lot of business, became an Executive Rep in less than 1 year, and made President's Club in my first full year. I mention that so you understand that this review is not coming from someone who was unable to recognize success within the organization.

Work Environment - There is no such thing as work/life balance here. If you want to be successful you must forgo friends, family, vacation (5 days off per year), etc. If you care more about money than those things than this might actually be a positive for you, however, I prefer to use the money I have made to travel and create memories with friends and family. As a sales rep you not only find and sell business but are also required to set the system up for your clients. I can’t tell you the number of times I sat with and HR/Payroll team running their first payroll until the late evening hours. I have personally seen other reps out until 1 am or 2 am just to get the client to process only to return very early the next morning and correct mistakes. You will be told that you have a TSR (Transition Specialist) to help through the majority of the set-up/training, but that could not be more far from the truth. Yes, there are one or two TSR’s in your office, but it takes an act of God to get help from them (Not because the don’t want to help, but they are so overwhelmed with their work load). My office had 8 reps, and we were each required to sell two deals a month. That is 16 new clients per month spread across two people (TSR’s) in a transition that takes 2+ months. The reality is that you WILL be the person fully transitioning the majority of your clients while still having to maintain your sales and meeting quotas.

Culture – This is the most interesting thing to me. On the surface everyone is pro Paycom, and so happy to be there (at least when someone’s eyes are on them). They all put on a show about how great the company is and how they couldn’t imagine life without Paycom. I have had conversations with the large majority of Executive Reps at my time with Paycom, and behind closed doors they are all so unhappy and complain about ever facet of the job. You always feel as though your job is in jeopardy, and regardless of how well you do the feeling never seems to escape. Reps continue to hang on because they are glued down by the next large commission check heading their way. You must always watch your back because that rep who you think is you best friend is the first person to poach on your territory and lie about some outside relationship they had to get in the door. This is very much a dog-eat-dog environment.

Management – I have had a couple of direct managers at Paycom and my only real complaint is that they don’t tend to spend much time with new reps. Most of their time will be spent with tenured reps (friends) vs. grooming and teaching new talent. I would imagine that is why the turnover rate at Paycom is SO HIGH! This job requires so much skill and knowledge that it is easy for a new un-mentored rep to feel completely lost and abandoned. Outside of that, some of these folks are really great salespeople.

Now, to combat all of the negatives I have mentioned I will say that I am grateful for the opportunity I had with Paycom. In my first year alone, because of large commission checks, I was able to pay off ALL my student debt and put my family in a great place financially. If you are fresh out of college or single and can deal with everything mentioned above I say go for it, but don’t go half-heartedly because you will not survive. You must be all in and give your last breath to Paycom for true success within the organization.

Advice to Management

We are taught to sell on culture, but the culture within Paycom needs some help ASAP. The time has come to provide more support to the sales staff and better segment job responsibilities. The growth of the organization can now and should now support transition teams. Sales people should focus 100% on sales! There is a reason Henry Ford introduced the division of labor to car manufacturing: As demand for his product grew, specialists in each area could more quickly and efficiently come to completion with better results.

Oct 21, 2016 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for your candid review. We believe our culture at Paycom is special, enthusiastic and that we have the best sales reps in the business who strive to meet high standards and continually... More

"Beware Of All The Positive Reviews"

Former Employee - Executive Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Paycom full-time

Pros

Paycom can provide all the great benefits they boast... I'm sure their response will reference world class training and all the recognition. Sure you can make good money and learn valuable skills. I would say this is a great starter job but definitely not a career. All you need to do is truly look at how long sales employees tend to stay.

Cons

I would like to point out that Paycom actively tells employees to leave positive reviews here so you have to take every positive with a grain of salt. If a company has to ask employees to write reviews to cover up the negative reviews here it says a lot. A company that truly believes in itself would welcome all the negatives .

Next this is such a structured job. There is no freedom at all and you are constantly tracked and monitored. Depending on the territory you will spend over 8 hours cold-calling the same 100-200 companies a week trying to achieve your appointment quota. And if you fall short they say keep calling which eventually leads to every potential prospect getting annoyed and never buying. Newsflash there are only so many companies in a territory...

Also 5 Vacation days a year is all you get starting out and it id frowned upon if you take them. Especially if you havent sold anything in 1 week!

Advice to Management

The process is great and has been successful but the reps need more freedom this is not High School!

Aug 29, 2016 – Representative

We have a number of tenured individuals in our salesforce who have been with Paycom for 10-plus years. Those individuals are executives in every sense of the word and would disagree with your... More

"Good Stepping Stone But Problems Keep Growing"

Former Employee - Executive Sales Representative

Pros

The paycom experience can give you a lot, but you have to be driven and determined. If you are willing to work hard, and often way beyond normal work hours, you can succeed and make a lot of money. The job involves a lot of interacting with other company's executives, which gives you great experience and knowledge of the business world, but it also involves setting up the business you sell, and spending a lot of your time troubleshooting with payroll and accounting folks, which can be a whole different experience.

Cons

Senior leadership protects the fallacy that the culture is amazing. Emails are sent out "encouraging" employees to write positive reviews on Glassdoor. The fact is that reps are friends and that can make the trainings and atmosphere fun, but that the underlying frustrations tend to always become the primary topics of conversation (set up, manager frustration, and wanting to quit). Some managers and leadership were far from mature. My regional would single people out in our office in front of everyone, including our manager, he would threaten people's jobs, and he would even make comments on how attractive certain reps were. Turnover was high and didn't need to be because I saw smart, motivated people give up too soon because of the unnecessary intensity or immaturity of leadership. Work/life balance was a constant challenge as you are expected to answer your phone at anytime, morning or night, to deal with set up issues, to talk to a scrambling manager or regional on a thursday night on why you haven't made quota this month and how you can change that in 24 hours because they aren't at quota, or other issues.

Overall, It's a good company with good intentions to learn a lot from, make a lot of money from, and then move on. But unless you have great mentors, the stress of the lack of support from leadership during your harder times, the lack of ongoing valuable training (not just irrelevant mandatory trainings with quizzes that if you fail by getting only two questions wrong, you get a shaming email from both your manager and regional), lack of maturity in leadership, and the lack of set up assistance gradually wears down even the best.

Advice to Management

Be more honest about the challenges and listen to feedback. Think twice about what you are told and do some investigation yourself. Observe managers and regionals in action. Listen to set up frustration feedback. It is real and would do wonders if changes were made.

Jun 7, 2016 – Representative

Losing an executive rep to turnover is incredibily rare, but we realize working at Paycom isn’t for everyone and does require added effort, but this is what a company with high growth looks like. It... More

"Paycom Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paycom has an amazing leadership team from our CSO and CEO, regional directors, and area managers that inspire each other every day. Executive management is so involved with the sales and transition force, they even know every rep personally. Paycom is constantly rolling out learning courses for reps and product trainings to keep you up to date on all company changes! As a sales rep you work be territory and can have your manager on apts with you weekly for training and help. There is a new hire training, 6 month refresher training, and reoccuring 6 month trainings for all reps. There is an paid Presidents Club trip every year and plenty of benefits for all of their employees. Paycom exemlifies many opportunities for growth and promotion with constantly adding new offices and promoting people to upper management there is always a chance to move up! Paycom is a young fun company culture where you can still have an impact on putting processes in place!

Cons

Just like any outside sales rep job there are are always ever changing strategies with new accounts or deals. The job is constantly changing based on prospects and your pipeline so you have to be a hard worker and be ready for something new all the time!

Advice to Management

Would love to further our internship program for college students and mentorship program for new reps!

Apr 6, 2016 – Representative

Thank you the detailed review!

"I LOVE MY LIFE AT PAYCOM!"

Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growth personally, professionally and fiscally. I wake up so excited to attack every day and I truly love what I do.

Cons

Only 5 days a week of selling

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Feb 10, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for sharing!

"Amazing opportunities!"

Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is so much that I would like to thank Paycom for. You will grow as an individual and have the opportunity to create value for your clients and Paycom. Every action taken at Paycom is rewarded with compensation, development, trips and awards. Upper Management and our C-level care not only about the success of the company but individual employees as well. It is incredible to see how much of their time they devote to trainings, development programs and to listening and implementing feedback from employees. Your voice will be heard!

Cons

In my eyes this is not a con but be prepared to work hard. Great success can be had but you will have to put the work in. However you will always be rewarded in a big way!

Advice to Management

Continue what we are doing! Roll out a structured mentorship program for new reps as we continue to grow.

Sep 15, 2015 – Representative

We greatly appreciate all that you do to make Paycom successful!