Paycom Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
  • They always bring catered lunches from good restaurants for lunch that cost only (in 32 reviews)

• She would always push me and notice the hard work that I put into this position (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is a struggle (in 47 reviews)

• However they reward you for the hard work ethic (in 27 reviews)

"Its an okay company."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If i show up and do my job, I receive a paycheck.

Cons

The culture is very cult like so anything negative said will get you a write up or cause you to be an outcast.

Alot of the time you do more than your are compensated (pay is terrible compared to stress level)

Advice to Management

It would be nice if paycom was more accepting of criticism. Its not a perfect company. My job shouldn't be on the line for voicing faults with the company.

Feb 9, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for your candor. We appreciate you sharing your feedback and are disappointed that you don’t feel as if your voice is heard. We strive to be an company open to constructive feedback ... More

"Opperations- Corporate Office"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

$4 lunches. That's really the only pro. I'd like to put the $1 insurance, but if you take into consideration our HR dept. lying to expecting mothers about their FMLA and short term disability coverages while off of work caring for their babies, the $1 insurance loses credibility really fast. I have over 5 years experience in the insurance/benefits dept... trust me, there are better policies to cover your employees on if you really cared about them.

Cons

I feel like I am back in high school. We have a typical cubical style layout and other teams seem to have no respect for those around them. You see this the most in the PSD department.. grow up and have some respect for those around you that are actually trying to work. I have to put an earplug in one ear because I honestly can't hear my client or my own thoughts over the immature people around me. Don't sing, yell, chant, talk loudly, etc. in a so called "professional" environment.

Advice to Management

1- Tell your PSD teams to grow up and be respectful of others and actually enforce this, or simply stop hiring 20 year olds that don't know how to be mature or professional. They are still babies and they act like it. 2- Have the courage to tell Chad that the system is going to break at any moment. Quit trying to impress him with the latest and greatest "release" when we can't even fix what was wrong with last months update, or 12 months before that. You are putting a bandaid over the problem and someone needs to say something before it is too late. It's too bad that HR encourages you to come on here and write a good review, and upper management requires you to once you are a TL or in a leadership position. I'm sure this review will get lost in the shuffle of all of those reviews very fast.

Oct 24, 2016 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for your feedback. Paycom is proud of the health insurance options we offer to employees and their families. Additionally, we routinely survey our employees that have been on FMLA to learn ... More

"Some iteration of a Ponzi scheme"

Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In the interest of fairness and honesty I'll give the legitimate pros to working at Paycom, although in my honest opinion they are greatly overshadowed by the detractors of working for the company.It's only fair to include the other, unspoken half of every talking point recruiters will give.

$1 employee only health insurance (due to self-insured coverage and the average age of the workforce being under 26. The vast majority of insurance claims are due to childbirth, and you will have to cover duties for those on maternity leave. There is no paternity leave, paid or excused - this is not a modern company).

$4 catered lunches. A healhy option is offered each day. (The quality of these lunches is suspect, however the convenience of avoiding the poorly designed ingress/egress of the parking lot is almost worth the difference between a quality meal and the slop that's served most days)

No prior experience needed (Paycom prefers inexperienced new hires - actual job-related skills will cause an employee to have expectations out of line with what is being offered, and most positions have non-transferable skills useless outside of working for Paycom or a company that uses Paycom as their HRIS provider. The competition among Paycom employees for newly opened client positions is fierce, explaining the extremely high turnover rate.)

High earnings - you can be making $50,000 to $60,0000 per year as an account manager, however the tradeoff is that you will be working 10-15 hours overtime at a minimum. Six months of the year should be considered lost, as the company cannot handle common year end processes without significant individual work due to lack of basic support and functioning software.

Fun Culture (You're essentially working in a high school, which means your emotional maturity does not need to move further than what was developed in your senior year of high school or university. This Fun Culture also includes multiple instances of management involved in illicit relationships with employees over the past year. If this sort of drama is your type of fun, you'd have a place).

Cons

First and foremost, there is a distinct separation and preferential treatment between operations employees and sales employees - this is most clearly seen within the various reviews on Glassdoor itself. While operations employees are voicing their opinions, sales employees are (likely, judging by the existing comp structures) compensated to post overwhelmingly positive reviews.

All decisions by upper management are driven by a sales perspective. This company prides itself on growing year to year, but is not afraid to outright lie to prospects to bring in new customers. The operations teams are tasked with mitigating damage from incorrect expectations on a daily basis.

This distinction can be seen in the fact most of the executive level of management is drawn from sales staff. The executive leadership has never worked on the operations side of things and really witnessed the ramifications of this sales-driven perspective

New clients are forced to pay extraordinary additional costs due to flaws in system capability. As an account manager (Paycom Service Specialist), you are both expected to reset client expectations following sales and punished for client dissatisfaction in the fashion of lost compensation. Existing clients, who are often fed up with the nickel and dime approach, will complain and middle management will waive fees without question. Front line operations employees are still expected to generate revenue from these items despite the willingness to waive fees.

Despite claiming this is a company who knows how to grow, management consistently shows poor decision making when dealing with emerging issues. Major company policies can be re-written a dozen times in six months, and expectations are unclear while additional responsibilities are piled upon account managers, without relief.

At the most recent year-end party, CEO Chad Richison stated that more than 50% of the workforce has not worked for Paycom for more than 18 months. This shows on all levels. The few with experience are responsible for carrying the others who are feeding the constant, extremely high turnover.

Inter-departmental support is non-existent. All additional tasks are dumped on service specialists, and while the product base has doubled in the past two years client capacity and bonus structure has not changed in a decade. When a new set of responsibilities arrives, upper management does not consider the actual ramifications of their choices - they just say "the PSD group can do it."

Product development is over-ambitious - Paycom will pride itself on an unprecedented monthly feature release schedule. This shows itself in the product never being fully tested and frequent, extreme software bugs. Often employees will not know what is being released, or at what time, or to what extent - yet account managers will be held accountable for any client dissatisfaction regarding the changes within the core software product that may or may not do what they were intended, while potentially breaking the previous function of the program.

The lowest level of management at the individual team level has no ability to impact decision making, they operate as swing specialists. Despite nominally being team leaders, in most cases they spend their time hypothesizing on ways things could be approved but never taking suggestions to management, and only step in to client issues to assure the client that their unwarranted demands, often outside of the service Paycom claims to provide, are justified. Due to the outpaced bonus structure, this results in loss of compensation to most employees.

The often flouted year-end party is a disappointing replacement for competitive bonuses. An open bar and hour long show from a band that registered on the b-list ten years ago is not adequate celebration of your employees offsetting poor executive decisions and misguided technology decisions. Instead of spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on a party that dissolves into alcohol abuse and brawling, divvy that money out in profit-sharing programs.

The company knows and understands it is a stepping stone to other opportunities - this is why training is limited to Paycom-specific items or non-transferable motivational classes. The company will not recognize continuing education or individual attempts to further one's career outside of the extremely narrow and linear progression up the Paycom ladder. While this was effective when the company was much smaller due to the high rate of employees leaving the company, as it expands it causes more employees to run into a dead end after two years of employment.

When it comes to promotions, management is more concerned with finding yes-men (or diversity hires) than finding effective leaders. While most negative reviews bring this up, I only wanted to touch on it - this is not the biggest con by a large margin, but needs to be mentioned.

For a single, young person immediately out of college this job can be phenomenal. No person above 25 can maintain this for more than a year. No person with a family can have only Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day as their only days off during the holiday season. Nobody with basic levels of self-respect can accept being consistently lied to by their employers without assuming their unquestionably large paycheck is buying them off.

For those interviewing, you can make your own decision - but if it sounds too good to be true, it is. The image Paycom tries so hard to put out to the world is, in fact, too good to be true.

Advice to Management

Identify what you want your people to be doing, and bring reality in line with those expectations. Either provide additional support, additional compensation to your employees, or bring the workload more in line with comparable positions.

Do no believe you can convince your employees everything is fine just by saying it over and over - while upper management is free to believe whatever they like, you make a point of hiring extremely capable people and we know what the situation actually is.

Recognize the fact you require a 45 hour week as a minimum and compensate your employees accordingly, or provide adequate support to provide an actual work/life balance.

Hold sales accountable for their claims, and rethink operations employees' role in meeting the false expectations created by those claims.

Just take an honest look at facts on the ground, and recognize that sometimes an honest, realistic assessment is more useful than a delusional assumption that whatever you say is going to create success out of the consistent failures over the past few years.

May 10, 2016 – Representative

Based on your distaste for Paycom’s culture, benefits, perks and leadership, we hope you find an organization that better fits what you want. As for us, we are proud that 100% of our employees ... More

"Mistake?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some nice people at Paycom, $1 insurance, decent catered lunches.

Cons

Where to begin. I haven't been here long but I can see immediately that there is no work/life balance. They tell you in the interview about gray-out months but were not very clear about the overtime in those months. Only for January which I thought was fine. If you have kids, forget about this place for employment. I haven't been here long at all and I'm already looking for another job. I've never worked somewhere that expects so much mandatory overtime. No wonder the most tenured employees in my department, outside of supervisors, have only been there 3 years. Thus was told to me by a supervisor. It probably is not possible to stay longer and keep your sanity.

Advice to Management

Cut back on the mandatory overtime. It's over the top. Also realize that some people have families, so improve your vacation and sick leave policies. I've never worked somewhere I wanted to get away from so fast.

May 24, 2016 – Representative

Working at Paycom isn’t for everyone and does require added effort, but this is what a company with high growth looks like. It is true that we have a lot of new leaders who have been with the company ... More

"Too Much Stress, Not Enough Pay - Dallas OPS Location"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great moral with GREAT Team Leads in the Dallas office. Plenty of work incentives like almost free healthcare for employees (though the plans not that great, you can't complain much when you only pay $1). Free meals are frequent and lots of Paycom swag.

Cons

LOW LOW LOW pay for Dallas location, not competitive and 100% lower than the national average according to glassdoor. No real growth opportunity past a senior specialist in Dallas. Paycom's response to another Dallas employee was that they have a leveling up program, though that levels out at Senior Specialist. It said to talk to their TL, though that's been done many times with nothing but a "sorry, that's how it is".

Expect 10 hour work days (there's those free lunches). These are not only during busy times here. Many specialists eat lunch at their desks most days of the week, come in early and stay late.

Advice to Management

INCREASE PAY FOR JOB LOCATION!!! We'll work hard for you, but at least make it worth the while.

Jan 29, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for your service at our Dallas location. We agree that Paycom has great employees, both in our Dallas office and across the nation. We believe our comp structure is highly competitive and ... More

"Not bad for 21 year olds"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Nice office, people are mostly friendly. The benefit package for single people without children is very nice.

Cons

The pay is minimal for college graduates. One can make more money at any retail store without a degree.

Advice to Management

Spend less money on snacks, and more money on employees.

"Set Up To Fail"

Pros

Money, decent schedule , catered lunch, friends

Cons

I'm a specialist. I get no support from my TL. They will write you up for things that happened weeks ago and then offer you no time to improve and show that you want to do a good job.

Advice to Management

Support your specialists. They are overloaded and $24 a hour is no where near enough to handle the stress. $30 is more like it

"Succeed Fast or fail Miserably"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) CULTURE - Drinking the koolaid is infectious. Everyone acts super stoked on everything Paycom and they do a really good job of driving that hard. The product is fantastic and the company is doing a really good job in driving it in the right direction.

2) SKILL - They really do hire some of the best people at Paycom. There are some quality people in all areas of the business.

3) Management - I have to say that Jeff as a sales leader was one of the best parts of working at Paycom. He's inspiring, attentive, and a joy to be around.

Cons

1) MONEY - The base salary make living really difficult since they keep it consistent in every state even though the cost of living in CA is vastly different than CA. It can be hard to succeed in sales so if you don't succeed fast, you don't get commission.

2) POLICY - The policy of wearing a full suit definitely works most places. However, in the Silicon Valley / SF area where most of the companies are wearing jeans and t-shirts, it doesn't always work out as well. Same with the general approach with the territory. In a start-up rich environment, it can be really hard to succeed when the companies in your small territory leave the area as soon as they are large enough to target. It can make it REALLY hard to succeed.

3) Management - not everyone is like Jeff.

Advice to Management

Really get a feel for how your local managers are doing. Just because someone has been there for a long time or has succeeded in sales doesn't mean that they are qualified for a management job. Also, be a little more flexible in different regions. The "secret sauce" may have to be adjusted for where your teams are.

Aug 29, 2016 – Representative

We agree, Paycom has a fantastic product, amazing culture and we do hire the best people. As with any true B2B sales position, commissions are important and Paycom offers uncapped commission ... More

"Good but not great"

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people
    Heath benefits
    Potential is good to gain experience

Cons

Vacation and sick leave below standards
    Technology company with antiquated equipment and software
    Policies seem to be written by ametuers with very little corporate experience
    Below standards for professionals and ancient business practices related to cellphones, laptops
    Grew too fast without appropriate infrastructure in place, rapidly growing business with ametuers leading
    Too low pay to attract experienced talent
    Not open to knowledge sharing, sometimes experienced professional bring something more than a body to work
    If you are young, you fit in, if you are mature no so much borderin on discrimitory practices
    Absolute zero respect for workspace environment, they pack you in like sardines

Advice to Management

Look at peer groups, do some research on what motivates employees. Professional, experienced are not valued, young inexperienced folks do well. Great for short term but if you are looking for long term employees pay attention to what truly experienced professional bring to the table

May 10, 2016 – Representative

Our employees’ feedback is paramount to our success and one of the many reasons why we place such an emphasis on the results of our employee survey. We listen and react to employee feedback and are ... More

"don't"

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist
    Current Employee - Payroll Specialist

Pros

coffee machines, catered lunch, that is about it.

Cons

Insane work load, low pay, hard to move up, and "know it all" management.

Mar 31, 2016 – Representative

At Paycom, we want individuals with a growth mindset, meaning they are constantly looking for growth opportunities and taking advantage once those situations arise. We have leveling-up programs that ... More