Paycom Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 1 health insurance, fun activities every year such as the fall party, National Payroll Week and more (in 42 reviews)

• 4 catered lunches every day- can't beat that (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • Many departments have frequent periods of poor work/life balance (in 66 reviews)

• However they reward you for the hard work ethic (in 36 reviews)

"Payroll Specialist"

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, gym, overtime, benefits cant be beat. ability to easily date management and higher ups.

Cons

It's hard work. Unrealistic expectations. LONG hours. Management is sloppy.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging your hard workers and pay closer attention to your management who like to date those work work below them. It's mind blowing to watch daily.

Jan 15, 2018 – Paycom Representative

It takes grit and determination to be successful here and we look for individuals who have an attitude of servitude. Those who are hungry, humble and smart will excel in our environment. Paycom has... More

"Would've recommended 3 months ago"

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

-Insurance
    -pay
    -side perks you already know if you've looked into this workplace

Cons

When I started over a year ago, it was an exciting place to be. A place I was so proud to be a part of and tell the world about.
    That's changed.
    They strived to be this amazing HCM company (human capital management) basically meaning their people are their assets.
    Great!
    How do you appreciate your human assets exactly? Have HR come up with creative themes we can blast with hashtags? Not a bad idea but when you begin freaking out and start clearing house to replace employees in leadership positions so you can fill them with external sources to bring you back up... you may think it's a good business strategy and would be if your employees weren't your asset. But we are, right?
    Now we're all scared. Now we take vacations so we're off the radar. Firing people daily and that have been with Paycom for 5-10 years over things that should be a conversation. Yet, you give them a box to fill & get out.
    I'm scared to pieces typing this bc I need to pay rent. Rent I agreed to previously bc I felt secure. Now I'm scared you'll find out someway who I am and hand me that box on Monday too.

Advice to Management

Make a solid and safe culture your priority. Your beginning instincts were right. If you need to shift to accommodate new goals, move forward with that. Don't make an, "apply changes retroactively" button like you do with your system apply to your people.
    We believed in you. We were proud of Paycom.
    Not an impressive place to work right now.

Aug 15, 2017 – Paycom Representative

We appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback for Paycom. We hope many of our current employees recognize that our 46 percent revenue growth in 2016 means both great success and opportunities... More

"PSD Management Soiling CEOs Vision"

Current Employee - PSD
    Current Employee - PSD

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

$1 health insurance
    High pay if you put in the time.
    Recently revamped accruals- more PTO
    $4 catered lunches
    Year End Party
    On-site employee appreciation events

Cons

-Management in PSD department. We are led with a “trail and error” approach. Processes are often rolled out and then rolled back when the irrationality becomes apparent. Every week brings and even poorer thought out plan than the previous. This is the result of promoting people who incur favor from upper management as opposed to earning their promotions based on merit.
    -Unrealistic expectations of client facing roles.
    -Increased workload with no accompanying support from management.
    -Reactive process changes and job functionalities. Something has to go very wrong to initiate any kind of change.
    -Decline in quality of product. Massive IT problems.
    -Continuous set-up issues for new clients
    -No accountability from supporting departments- specialist told to take ownership of every error.

Advice to Management

Listen to and shadow your subordinates to accurately gauge what their daily duties truly entail. No manager who truly has their employees’ interests at heart would continue to pile on additional duties with impossibly high expectations then turn around and hand out write-ups like candy for the mistakes that take place. PSD is set up to fail and then penalized for doing so.

Paycom does not provide an avenue for employees to voice concerns and log complaints that provides actionable change. You will see Paycom respond to other negative reviews and suggest the HR hotline or talking to their immediate supervisor. Nothing seems to initiate change like a glassdoor review so until Paycom starts listening to their staff they will see an influx of reviews on glassdoor and other sites. If you have your manager’s support, you do not feel the need to get on glassdoor in the first place.

Paycom also does a major disservice to its clients with the monthly updates. These updates are not thoroughly vetted, break other system functions, and drive clients away. Several major clients have noticed this pattern and are now on an internal list to be exempted from certain updates. This is a great example of Paycom recognizing a problem and taking no action. Every solution is a temporary fix- the root causes continue to fester in the system and cause larger IT issues. Many clients leave because the product they pay for often glitches out and causes additional work for the client. Our IT department sacrifices quality for quantity- every month brings more than 20 updates and each could cause numerous additional problems. These problems will likely not be fixed until the next month’s updates.

Every job brings stress. Paycom may be the only company who puts more stress on its workforce than the customers they service. My advice to Chad Richison would be to replace his PSD management staff. Many of them come in to collect a paycheck instead of properly rolling out new processes to team leaders, saving clients who may leave for another payroll company, or taking action on any feedback they get- UNLESS that feedback gives them a chance to write someone up. Promote people who truly understand the company, the clients, and the employees instead of whoever is most popular at the time. Chad, I believe in your vision which is why I continue to work at Paycom. There is a huge chasm between your vision and its execution. I implore you to find the root cause and make a change. As a whole- we are a profitable and functioning company. Can you imagine how much more productive we would be if we were happy?

Aug 9, 2017 – Paycom Representative

We would like to make sure you understand the tremendous growth Paycom has experienced over the past year and a half. The company is listening and we encourage you to use the anonymous third-party... More

"Its an okay company."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If i show up and do my job, I receive a paycheck.

Cons

The culture is very cult like so anything negative said will get you a write up or cause you to be an outcast.

Alot of the time you do more than your are compensated (pay is terrible compared to stress level)

Advice to Management

It would be nice if paycom was more accepting of criticism. Its not a perfect company. My job shouldn't be on the line for voicing faults with the company.

Feb 9, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for your candor. We appreciate you sharing your feedback and are disappointed that you don’t feel as if your voice is heard. We strive to be an company open to constructive feedback... More

"Opperations- Corporate Office"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

$4 lunches. That's really the only pro. I'd like to put the $1 insurance, but if you take into consideration our HR dept. lying to expecting mothers about their FMLA and short term disability coverages while off of work caring for their babies, the $1 insurance loses credibility really fast. I have over 5 years experience in the insurance/benefits dept... trust me, there are better policies to cover your employees on if you really cared about them.

Cons

I feel like I am back in high school. We have a typical cubical style layout and other teams seem to have no respect for those around them. You see this the most in the PSD department.. grow up and have some respect for those around you that are actually trying to work. I have to put an earplug in one ear because I honestly can't hear my client or my own thoughts over the immature people around me. Don't sing, yell, chant, talk loudly, etc. in a so called "professional" environment.

Advice to Management

1- Tell your PSD teams to grow up and be respectful of others and actually enforce this, or simply stop hiring 20 year olds that don't know how to be mature or professional. They are still babies and they act like it. 2- Have the courage to tell Chad that the system is going to break at any moment. Quit trying to impress him with the latest and greatest "release" when we can't even fix what was wrong with last months update, or 12 months before that. You are putting a bandaid over the problem and someone needs to say something before it is too late. It's too bad that HR encourages you to come on here and write a good review, and upper management requires you to once you are a TL or in a leadership position. I'm sure this review will get lost in the shuffle of all of those reviews very fast.

Oct 24, 2016 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for your feedback. Paycom is proud of the health insurance options we offer to employees and their families. Additionally, we routinely survey our employees that have been on FMLA to learn... More

"Succeed Fast or fail Miserably"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) CULTURE - Drinking the koolaid is infectious. Everyone acts super stoked on everything Paycom and they do a really good job of driving that hard. The product is fantastic and the company is doing a really good job in driving it in the right direction.

2) SKILL - They really do hire some of the best people at Paycom. There are some quality people in all areas of the business.

3) Management - I have to say that Jeff as a sales leader was one of the best parts of working at Paycom. He's inspiring, attentive, and a joy to be around.

Cons

1) MONEY - The base salary make living really difficult since they keep it consistent in every state even though the cost of living in CA is vastly different than CA. It can be hard to succeed in sales so if you don't succeed fast, you don't get commission.

2) POLICY - The policy of wearing a full suit definitely works most places. However, in the Silicon Valley / SF area where most of the companies are wearing jeans and t-shirts, it doesn't always work out as well. Same with the general approach with the territory. In a start-up rich environment, it can be really hard to succeed when the companies in your small territory leave the area as soon as they are large enough to target. It can make it REALLY hard to succeed.

3) Management - not everyone is like Jeff.

Advice to Management

Really get a feel for how your local managers are doing. Just because someone has been there for a long time or has succeeded in sales doesn't mean that they are qualified for a management job. Also, be a little more flexible in different regions. The "secret sauce" may have to be adjusted for where your teams are.

Aug 29, 2016 – Representative

We agree, Paycom has a fantastic product, amazing culture and we do hire the best people. As with any true B2B sales position, commissions are important and Paycom offers uncapped commission... More

"Some iteration of a Ponzi scheme"

Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In the interest of fairness and honesty I'll give the legitimate pros to working at Paycom, although in my honest opinion they are greatly overshadowed by the detractors of working for the company.It's only fair to include the other, unspoken half of every talking point recruiters will give.

$1 employee only health insurance (due to self-insured coverage and the average age of the workforce being under 26. The vast majority of insurance claims are due to childbirth, and you will have to cover duties for those on maternity leave. There is no paternity leave, paid or excused - this is not a modern company).

$4 catered lunches. A healhy option is offered each day. (The quality of these lunches is suspect, however the convenience of avoiding the poorly designed ingress/egress of the parking lot is almost worth the difference between a quality meal and the slop that's served most days)

No prior experience needed (Paycom prefers inexperienced new hires - actual job-related skills will cause an employee to have expectations out of line with what is being offered, and most positions have non-transferable skills useless outside of working for Paycom or a company that uses Paycom as their HRIS provider. The competition among Paycom employees for newly opened client positions is fierce, explaining the extremely high turnover rate.)

High earnings - you can be making $50,000 to $60,0000 per year as an account manager, however the tradeoff is that you will be working 10-15 hours overtime at a minimum. Six months of the year should be considered lost, as the company cannot handle common year end processes without significant individual work due to lack of basic support and functioning software.

Fun Culture (You're essentially working in a high school, which means your emotional maturity does not need to move further than what was developed in your senior year of high school or university. This Fun Culture also includes multiple instances of management involved in illicit relationships with employees over the past year. If this sort of drama is your type of fun, you'd have a place).

Cons

First and foremost, there is a distinct separation and preferential treatment between operations employees and sales employees - this is most clearly seen within the various reviews on Glassdoor itself. While operations employees are voicing their opinions, sales employees are (likely, judging by the existing comp structures) compensated to post overwhelmingly positive reviews.

All decisions by upper management are driven by a sales perspective. This company prides itself on growing year to year, but is not afraid to outright lie to prospects to bring in new customers. The operations teams are tasked with mitigating damage from incorrect expectations on a daily basis.

This distinction can be seen in the fact most of the executive level of management is drawn from sales staff. The executive leadership has never worked on the operations side of things and really witnessed the ramifications of this sales-driven perspective

New clients are forced to pay extraordinary additional costs due to flaws in system capability. As an account manager (Paycom Service Specialist), you are both expected to reset client expectations following sales and punished for client dissatisfaction in the fashion of lost compensation. Existing clients, who are often fed up with the nickel and dime approach, will complain and middle management will waive fees without question. Front line operations employees are still expected to generate revenue from these items despite the willingness to waive fees.

Despite claiming this is a company who knows how to grow, management consistently shows poor decision making when dealing with emerging issues. Major company policies can be re-written a dozen times in six months, and expectations are unclear while additional responsibilities are piled upon account managers, without relief.

At the most recent year-end party, CEO Chad Richison stated that more than 50% of the workforce has not worked for Paycom for more than 18 months. This shows on all levels. The few with experience are responsible for carrying the others who are feeding the constant, extremely high turnover.

Inter-departmental support is non-existent. All additional tasks are dumped on service specialists, and while the product base has doubled in the past two years client capacity and bonus structure has not changed in a decade. When a new set of responsibilities arrives, upper management does not consider the actual ramifications of their choices - they just say "the PSD group can do it."

Product development is over-ambitious - Paycom will pride itself on an unprecedented monthly feature release schedule. This shows itself in the product never being fully tested and frequent, extreme software bugs. Often employees will not know what is being released, or at what time, or to what extent - yet account managers will be held accountable for any client dissatisfaction regarding the changes within the core software product that may or may not do what they were intended, while potentially breaking the previous function of the program.

The lowest level of management at the individual team level has no ability to impact decision making, they operate as swing specialists. Despite nominally being team leaders, in most cases they spend their time hypothesizing on ways things could be approved but never taking suggestions to management, and only step in to client issues to assure the client that their unwarranted demands, often outside of the service Paycom claims to provide, are justified. Due to the outpaced bonus structure, this results in loss of compensation to most employees.

The often flouted year-end party is a disappointing replacement for competitive bonuses. An open bar and hour long show from a band that registered on the b-list ten years ago is not adequate celebration of your employees offsetting poor executive decisions and misguided technology decisions. Instead of spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on a party that dissolves into alcohol abuse and brawling, divvy that money out in profit-sharing programs.

The company knows and understands it is a stepping stone to other opportunities - this is why training is limited to Paycom-specific items or non-transferable motivational classes. The company will not recognize continuing education or individual attempts to further one's career outside of the extremely narrow and linear progression up the Paycom ladder. While this was effective when the company was much smaller due to the high rate of employees leaving the company, as it expands it causes more employees to run into a dead end after two years of employment.

When it comes to promotions, management is more concerned with finding yes-men (or diversity hires) than finding effective leaders. While most negative reviews bring this up, I only wanted to touch on it - this is not the biggest con by a large margin, but needs to be mentioned.

For a single, young person immediately out of college this job can be phenomenal. No person above 25 can maintain this for more than a year. No person with a family can have only Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day as their only days off during the holiday season. Nobody with basic levels of self-respect can accept being consistently lied to by their employers without assuming their unquestionably large paycheck is buying them off.

For those interviewing, you can make your own decision - but if it sounds too good to be true, it is. The image Paycom tries so hard to put out to the world is, in fact, too good to be true.

Advice to Management

Identify what you want your people to be doing, and bring reality in line with those expectations. Either provide additional support, additional compensation to your employees, or bring the workload more in line with comparable positions.

Do no believe you can convince your employees everything is fine just by saying it over and over - while upper management is free to believe whatever they like, you make a point of hiring extremely capable people and we know what the situation actually is.

Recognize the fact you require a 45 hour week as a minimum and compensate your employees accordingly, or provide adequate support to provide an actual work/life balance.

Hold sales accountable for their claims, and rethink operations employees' role in meeting the false expectations created by those claims.

Just take an honest look at facts on the ground, and recognize that sometimes an honest, realistic assessment is more useful than a delusional assumption that whatever you say is going to create success out of the consistent failures over the past few years.

May 10, 2016 – Representative

Based on your distaste for Paycom’s culture, benefits, perks and leadership, we hope you find an organization that better fits what you want. As for us, we are proud that 100% of our employees... More

"Mistake?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some nice people at Paycom, $1 insurance, decent catered lunches.

Cons

Where to begin. I haven't been here long but I can see immediately that there is no work/life balance. They tell you in the interview about gray-out months but were not very clear about the overtime in those months. Only for January which I thought was fine. If you have kids, forget about this place for employment. I haven't been here long at all and I'm already looking for another job. I've never worked somewhere that expects so much mandatory overtime. No wonder the most tenured employees in my department, outside of supervisors, have only been there 3 years. Thus was told to me by a supervisor. It probably is not possible to stay longer and keep your sanity.

Advice to Management

Cut back on the mandatory overtime. It's over the top. Also realize that some people have families, so improve your vacation and sick leave policies. I've never worked somewhere I wanted to get away from so fast.

May 24, 2016 – Representative

Working at Paycom isn’t for everyone and does require added effort, but this is what a company with high growth looks like. It is true that we have a lot of new leaders who have been with the company... More

"Good but not great"

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people
    Heath benefits
    Potential is good to gain experience

Cons

Vacation and sick leave below standards
    Technology company with antiquated equipment and software
    Policies seem to be written by ametuers with very little corporate experience
    Below standards for professionals and ancient business practices related to cellphones, laptops
    Grew too fast without appropriate infrastructure in place, rapidly growing business with ametuers leading
    Too low pay to attract experienced talent
    Not open to knowledge sharing, sometimes experienced professional bring something more than a body to work
    If you are young, you fit in, if you are mature no so much borderin on discrimitory practices
    Absolute zero respect for workspace environment, they pack you in like sardines

Advice to Management

Look at peer groups, do some research on what motivates employees. Professional, experienced are not valued, young inexperienced folks do well. Great for short term but if you are looking for long term employees pay attention to what truly experienced professional bring to the table

May 10, 2016 – Representative

Our employees’ feedback is paramount to our success and one of the many reasons why we place such an emphasis on the results of our employee survey. We listen and react to employee feedback and are... More

"don't"

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist

Pros

coffee machines, catered lunch, that is about it.

Cons

Insane work load, low pay, hard to move up, and "know it all" management.

Mar 31, 2016 – Representative

At Paycom, we want individuals with a growth mindset, meaning they are constantly looking for growth opportunities and taking advantage once those situations arise. We have leveling-up programs that... More