Paycom Reviews | Glassdoor

Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is a struggle (in 50 reviews)

• However they reward you for the hard work ethic (in 27 reviews)

"This is hard to write, but..."

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

The sense of community is astounding. I love my coworkers and enjoy getting to work with them every day. The benefits are also hard to compete with, which is why I am still with the company.

Cons

There is a lot going on in one of our client facing departments. They are currently requiring members on these teams to have their phones on DND no more than 1 hour a day which is great for clients, but not so great for our team members. 6 employees were just fired for cheating the system. Instead of Paycom taking a step back and asking themselves why their employees felt the need to do what they did, they fired 6 individuals who collectively, had several years of experience behind them. Which honestly, is something they cannot afford.
    There is also a current issue with training. It's not enough. It's paid, onsite training, but with the amount of stuff you're required to get done in a day, things start slipping through the cracks. You cannot take care of the customers without the proper training. (You also shouldn't fire 6 people that do actually know what they're doing).
    Paycom seems to think anyone is expendable. "Fire 6 people, no big deal. We'll just hire someone who we think will do a good job even though they haven't been here but 6 months or have no business leading a team." seems to be the slogan of our managers as of late.

Advice to Management

This company is falling apart from the inside out. We win all these awards and sometimes, I'm not sure how. Sure, we're compensated nicely and you give us gifts every month, but the way some of us are treated is almost inhumane. We are not expendable. We put time, value and money into getting to know this company and into doing our jobs. No gift you give me is going to make up for the fact that the amount of stuff I have to do in a single day takes me away from my family.. stress is so much, it often makes me sick. You're probably going to respond and tell me this company may not be the best fit for me, and that's fine. But hopefully someone else will see what I'm saying and make the decision to stay away from this place until our executives have figured out what it is they want to do, and have figured out a better way to achieve it than by bullying their current employees.

"Proceed with caution."

I worked at Paycom full-time

Pros

- Certain positions and departments pay well, but not all.

- Medical insurance costs $1 per pay period, which is hard to beat.

- On-site gym is nice, but equipment is outdated.

- There is room for advancement, but it has a price (your life).

- The majority of employees are great people.

- The HR department is top-notch. I've never worked for a company whose HR department can compare to Paycom's.

Cons

- A large portion of employees are overworked and underpaid, sometimes to an extreme.

- Various positions and departments require 8+ hours of overtime, including weekends.

- A great culture is preached, but people make the culture. When people are unhappy, the culture suffers. No event can change this. (As an example, they recently celebrated Customer Service Week with an on-site carnival. However, the majority of customer facing employees were unable to leave their desk to enjoy the event. Ironic, right?)

- Even though Paycom recently opened a new parking garage, traffic is terrible. Even with traffic cops at entrances and nearby stoplights, it can take up to 30 minutes to even start heading home.

- Write-ups are easy to come by. I was never written up, but I'd need more than two hands to count the number of people I know who were written up for the tiniest, petty reasons.

- Team leaders are all over the board. I don't believe Paycom has found a good way to determine who to promote into these small management positions. Some are great, but there are some terrible team leaders who should not be where they are and upper management has never focused on this issue.

Advice to Management

- You can preach a great culture all you want to potential employees, but you also need to pay careful attention to the health of your current workforce. Events and (dirt cheap) giveaways are nothing more than a band-aid. They don't make up for the amount of time and energy your employees are required to spend at work.

- Refocus how you train your employees. All I ever heard from new hires was they never felt ready to do their job, even after graduating from a 12-week training.

- You're growing too fast and are struggling to maintain a high level of service. I know you want to be profitable, but at what cost? Take time to level out, focus on your employees' development and grow at a controlled rate. You may think you can keep up, but I promise you that you won't be able to and that you currently are not.

- Standardize your management protocol. Everything should be handled the same between departments in regards to managing employees. Leadership styles can differ. If management doesn't understand this, they shouldn't be in that role.

- Be extremely careful in how you approach the next few months. You're in an extremely delicate position right now and employees are unhappy. Expect large turnover in the latter half of 2017 and prepare for the chaos that could ensue.

Jul 14, 2017 – Paycom Representative

We appreciate your candor regarding your experience and we too recognize the quality of our HR team. We do want to take a moment to clarify a few things you mentioned in your list of cons. First, we... More

"Payroll Service Department (PSD)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The community, events, catered lunches, benefits (if you don't have dependents), onsite gym, parking garage, monthly luncheons, pretty campus, waving at Paycom every day when I leave work.

Cons

As you can see on a lot of the recent reviews, there's a lot going on currently. I actually wanted to pose a question, as I am too afraid to ask HR directly and don't see any purpose of a 3rd party hotline.

I have heard several times over the last couple weeks that PSD Supervisors were told to each find 4 new hires to post good reviews about Paycom. Whether or not that is true, I am unsure. If it turns out to be true, is this how Paycom wins their awards? Is this why we keep hiring? And is this legal?

To clear up a few of the conflicting reviews: if your position is outside of a client facing department, yes, a lot of the time your job is sunshine and rainbows. However, for those who are working closely with the clients (and I'm not referring to those out in the field) I don't think I'm compensated nearly enough for the unrealistic goals that have been set for us. I'm not a TL or a supervisor, but I don't feel like they're standing up for us. This is the only way I feel safe standing up for myself since I need this job.

Another thing, you've hired a bunch of people right out of college. Eventually we are going to start having families. At that point, are we expendable? Is this the plan? To continue hiring young kids and then, when our priorities are something other than Paycom, we're told, "Perhaps Paycom isn't the best place for you?" What are your plans for when most of the members of your biggest department, that definitely pull the most hours, start families and have other responsibilities?

Advice to Management

This year end is going to be an interesting one. I hope for my sake, and the people who decide to stay, we aren't run out and beaten down by the workload and by the clients and by our senior management who seem to think we can take more and more responsibilities on.. because if no one is left to do these things, can we expect our senior management to help pick up the slack?

Aug 17, 2017 – Paycom Representative

We’d like to address a few things in your review. First, yes – the organization is and will continue to work on improving processes to better serve our clients and better facilitate training of our... More

"Be Very Careful When Considering Paycom"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun culture, very nice campus, great benefits.

Cons

This will be deleted very quickly because it is a negative response, so listen up. I will post again when this gets deleted. Paycom is one of those sneaky companies that brainwashes you, as well as new employees into thinking it is a great place to work. In reality, most people who start working at Paycom quickly start looking for other jobs. Why is this? We are sold on all of the pretty things and swag they bribe us with to take our minds off of what is really happening around us. It is a nice campus, yes. There are good people that work there, yes. However, their ethics and morals are very sub par. We were ranked #1 workplace in Oklahoma in 2016. One of the main reasons we got that title is because the directors and management tell their employees to rate us high so we can get to that point. Don't believe me, I have proof. Next is the management. By far the worst management I have ever worked for in my career. I can promise you that all of the fluffy 5 star ratings on here come from the supervisors or managers coming on Glassdoor trying to make Paycom look good and boost our raitings because deep down they know their employees are unhappy and will not post good things. Again, Paycom's ethics are terrible. I worked at Paycom for a long time and every day from about my six month point of employment on , I was miserable. I was sucked into all the cute swag and fun atmosphere just like everyone else. In the end, this is a business. Nobody cares about the Paycom swag or the "Employee Appreciation Days", which consist of nothing more than drowning us in more Paycom swag to take our minds off of what we all know... and that is that Paycom is a very falsely-entitled company. Be very careful and think more than twice before applying or accepting a job from Paycom.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Engage with your employees. Learn what modivates them. Don't just assume you know everything because you have the title of "Manager" or "Director". In my long career at Paycom my Director had one TRUE conversation with me, and that is when I was let go without notice. Never did he/she come to me to get to know me, learn about what truly motivates me, or come to me when I may have been struggling. There's a difference between being a manager and a leader. Paycom has Managers... very little Leaders.

"Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good pay and comp, good software

Cons

not great training, only reps with high revenue will get attention from managers...even if you are brand new

Advice to Management

better training for employees and better training specifically on the Paycom software

Aug 11, 2017 – Paycom Representative

We’re happy to hear you appreciate the compensation and our product here at Paycom. Regarding training, Paycom considers its sales training program as an “MBA of sales” and is designed to be... More

"Overall"

Pros

Benefits for employee only are great! The people are genuinely nice, as your cubical mates become a family. You will work extremely hard, but you will have so much fun.

Cons

The parking lot is a nightmare. You get the standard one hour for lunch, but really, you have 45 minutes. Clock out from your desk, five minute walk to the parking lot, get your food and come back, 5 minutes to find parking, and 5 minutes to get back to your desk and log in. This is probably the only reason they have catered lunches.
    Also, you clock out at your desk at 4:30, 5, or 5:30, based on seniority. If you're 8-5, good luck getting out on time! You will clock out at your desk, get to your car byb5:05, but be stuck in the parking lot for at least ten minutes. They do have officers trying to help, but it's really awful. You can't stay late with lay, and you can't slip out 5 minutes early to avoid it, even if you came in 5 minutes early. They need more shift options to accommodate the growing number of employees. Adding a 7-4 and 9-6 would help so much! Or letting people take 30 minute lunches and leaving 30 minutes early.
    No maternity leave.
    Not flexible with using time off

Advice to Management

Revise your leave to rank well with other companies. Add maternity leave or childcare on site if you refuse to get with the program.

Aug 9, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Regarding parking, as we’ve shared with others, Paycom has experienced tremendous growth. We grew revenue by 46% in 2016. We understand this may create some challenges in the day-to-day when it comes... More

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good base, rewarded for hard work

Cons

No free time, work life balance is not available

Advice to Management

Spend more time training new employees

Aug 9, 2017 – Paycom Representative

We’re glad to see you recognize the value of Paycom’s compensation program for sales representatives. Additionally, we recently announced an increase in PTO accruals for employees. As you’ve... More

"Implementation"

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Such a great people to work with!

Cons

Micro Managed and unrealistic expectations

Jul 28, 2017 – Paycom Representative

We’re glad to see you enjoy the people you work with at Paycom. As we grow, the company will continue to adapt its processes and structure to support this growth. Paycom does set high expectations... More

"SALES"

Former Freelancer - Sales Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Freelancer - Sales Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Good Product and Services. Supportive management to new hires.

Cons

Company only seems to hire 22yr -30yr olds . Blanant Discriminiation practices which will soon be looked into by state and feds.
    To claim that people with years of sales experience and work ethics that are over 40yrs ( or 45 or 50) do not have high energy is ludicrus.

Advice to Management

Hire people for thier skills and experience not because the "unit price" is cheaper.
    It will save you in production, lawsuits , and market share.

"Love/hate relationship with this place"

Current Employee - Garnishment Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Garnishment Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company puts a big emphasis on culture. The perks of working here are great, and the benefits are nearly impossible to beat.

Cons

As for my department in particular, we are very understaffed and overworked. The company is also very inconsistent with the way new processes are implemented, and if you're not one for change, run for the hills. Change is almost a daily occurrence.

Advice to Management

Hire more people and pay your Team Leads what they deserve. Don't put a temporary bandaid on problems, try to genuinely fix the issues.

Jun 16, 2017 – Paycom Representative

We’re glad to hear you appreciate the culture and benefits of working at Paycom. As you have indicated, change is common at Paycom – and it will likely continue as we are a high-growth company that... More