Paycom Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is a struggle (in 45 reviews)

• This job involves hard work - especially while you are in training (in 25 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best company I have ever worked for!"

Current Employee - HCM Team Leader in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - HCM Team Leader in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growth, perks, benefits, year end party, training, continued education, amazing leadership, friendly atmosphere. If you work hard and put in the work and strive to be a great leader, opportunities will come your way. It is an amazing company who has leaders that want to see everyone excel and flourish. Paycom appreciates its employees and will continue excelling. I have never worked for a company that has so much growth opportunity and truly values their employees.

Cons

No cons in my eyes. A lot of people complain about work however, that is your job and it is so exciting to see how much a paycom is growing. Yes, there will be long days and stressful situations that will come up but that is just part of it and that is at any workplace. Every company will have times like this. We are a growing company and are going to continue to grow and improve. Paycom has the best leaders to help guide and support you and the training department is amazing!

Advice to Management

Continue the amazing leadership, sharing the vision and empowering your employees.

Oct 21, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your Paycom experience with others. We're glad you're a part of the Paycom family!

"Great coworkers, Disappointing management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Coworkers are fabulous, friendly, and helpful. Lunches are offered on site. Discounts are available for many services.

Cons

Poor management skills, lack of management training. Lacking effective communication from managers on expectations for job performance. Lack of feedback offered from management for a job well done or a job done poorly.

Advice to Management

Make sure you fully understand what you want from a candidate before hiring them. Train those who will be in charge of others how to effectively train, support, and communicate with their staff. It is very disappointing as an employee to feel as if you are doing everything well and then find out that your manager had other expectations and you were in fact, performing poorly.

"Please read before accepting an offer from this company!!!!!"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay structure is pretty solid. Good incentives to permanently raise your base if you last

Cons

I'm not telling you not to accept an offer if it is presented to you, especially if you're in a pinch, but I'm telling you DO NOT burn any bridges with other companies that may want to hire you. Paycom misrepresents their training. It's not training, it's a job trial. And they will not tell you if you're not performing up to par. I've been a top performer in a few sales organizations and was told i was doing well in training, then on my 10th day, I was told I didn't know the system well enough and let go....2 weeks after my hire date. Since then i've confirmed with several reps still employed there that this kind of thing happens all the time. There is no job security here. Most management is inexperienced. I even set 10 appointments in my 2 weeks there and they still let me go. If you have a choice between sales skills and product knowledge, you pick the one that can't be taught. So, if they're the first to offer you a position, take it, but don't go into it thinking long term because they aren't thinking that about you. Stall until something else opens up then jump ship. Don't make the same mistake I did. I wish any readers of this nothing but the best in whatever they choose to do.

Advice to Management

You need to realize that Sales skills are MUCH MORE important than product knowledge. Not that product knowledge isnt important, but anyone can learn that, they just may learn at different rates. More experienced people know this.

"If you want to be a number and not a valued employee, this is your company!"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can make good money if you manage to throw up big numbers in your first 6 months....and if your manager favors you.

Cons

Welcome to the revolving door. This company hires so many recruiters to fill its sales positions, it's ridiculous.. They can't keep sales people because of the horrible environment and ridiculous management! The "rave reviews" that somone at Paycom corporate or their recruiting agencies obviously posted about this company are completely untrue. Before I got to my current position, I was actually contacted by two separate recruiting companies that would no longer work with Paycom because of thier treatment of employees and excessive turnover rate for the sales people they placed.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on employee retention and making customers happy and then you may have something for the future...

"Lack of personality"

Pros

The product itself, is the best out there
    Personal Health Insurance with company is inexpensive
    If you can get into selling payroll, you can make a lot of money with the company and there are management opportunities due to growth within company

Cons

The sales process is complex
    The product has no personality to it
    If you have a personality, you have to learn to lock it up for 10+ hours/per day
    Commissions take months to get paid out
    Cultish culture-the company will discretely present these conservative ideologies
    Barely any vacation
    Not your typical B2B job, you have to go to office beginning and end of day

Dec 5, 2013 – Representative

Sorry to hear a career in sales wasn't the right fit. We appreciate your feedback and want to point out that on average commission is paid out within 45 days and we respect everyone's ... More

"No Work/Life Balance"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity for amazing compensation

Cons

Very political, poor management (condescending), they play favorites like nobody's business, poor company/sales ethics, no work/life balance, inadequate training on set-up processes for clients, job isn't just sales - includes ALL prospecting, selling and setting up new clients

Advice to Management

Management needs to work on motivating their employees through other ways than scare tactics and making them feel as if they are less of a person if they mess up a call, or lose a sale. Invest in helping the sales reps - give sales the time to sell and give them the tools/help to prospect other than completely on their own (buy leads lists that aren't 10 years old, hire a small team to help prospect across the company).

Mar 13, 2014 – Representative

Sorry to hear you’re experiencing difficulties in your current role. We do expect a lot from our sales reps including prospecting and setting up new clients, which is a competitive advantage and why ... More

"Good experience, unprofessional Company"

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, good experience. The culture is young, energetic people that are excited to succeed. The product is actually quite strong.

Cons

Management is beyond horrendous. Micro-management is an understatement (phone calls throughout the day to see if you are where you said you would be - something that was unwarranted as that trust had never been broken). Management is incredibly self-serving as well, and extremely cliquey. I felt like I was back in junior high.

Extremely unprofessional in many areas including HR (Paycom's HR), management, crisis recovery, role specification (roles not clearly defined), and sales support.

Turnover is very high in the industry, and this company is no different. They will kick you to the curb for absolutely no reason, and refuse to give you the cause (I'm in an at-will state). You are nothing more than a number as a sales person at this company (which is deceiving given that this is an executive sale company).

Be prepared to work 70-80 hours/week while your manager cuts out early on a regular basis. Work/life balance is poor, as my life began to revolve around the job.

Everything you'll do within the company is smoke and mirrors. There is a sense of fear that rolls down hill throughout the company that comes from poor job security. Regionals are scared of the CSO, the office managers are scared of the regionals, and sales reps are either scared or buddy/buddy with their managers. If you start in sales here, be ready to play the game. You'll see how different your manager is the first time your Regional visits the office - smoke and mirrors.

I would not recommend the industry to anyone, but there are better companies within it. Not necessarily from a product standpoint, but from an organizational level.

After their successful IPO, the culture exploded into a much worse atmosphere than it already was.

Advice to Management

Clean house in management and take ownership of your sales offices. Clean up the support side of things, as often reps are left to fend for themselves. Fix the cliquey culture, it is indicative of young, unprofessional persons; and reflects poorly on you.

May 23, 2014 – Representative

We are sorry to hear of your experience, but appreciate your candid feedback. I can assure you this is a unique situation within our sales organization and something we are looking into. Our sales ... More

"Read review: The Full True Story"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Some of the people I have met are amazing people that will find success no matter where they are or what they do.

Cons

The review titled "The Full True Story" really hits it on the nose for the most part.
    Work/life balance: There is no work life balance at Paycom. After 6 months you will accumulate about 1.5 days of vacation time so for the first year don't plan on doing anything with your family or friends.
    Micromanagement: You will work in an environment of micromanagement. So if you like to be micromanaged all day every day then this is perfect for you. You will be working from 7am till 6pm every day. You will be at the office on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays at 7am sharp and don't be late even though you won't really start making phone calls till 8:30am. That hour and a half is used for "pumping up" by playing silly games such as taboo, pictionary, or catch phrase. And if you try to use those early morning hours to do work and not participate in the games - you will not be allowed. On every Friday there is a conference call at 4pm that lasts about an hour or hour and a half so that everyone can read off their sales for the week to the whole country and that you must be present for and you must take from the office. It seems to me that it would be a better use of time and money to be working in the field that last hour of work on Fridays because I can easily read an excel spreadsheet myself without having someone else read it off to me. On Good Friday before Easter the call lasted until 6:30pm. Again no work/life balance.
    Training: They say the training is considered a mini MBA but I would say it is standard in sales and nothing crazy. I have been a part of much more intense training programs that lasted 16 weeks (versus Paycom 5 weeks of training including corporate) and where you would spend time with successful tenured reps in order to learn best practices. At Paycom I rode with a rep only 5 times and who had under a year of experience and no executive status. My manager was never involved in any of the training. After training I tried to get my manager to ride with me sometimes but was told that unless I had an appointment with an executive or it was a second call then they would not be helping me or riding with me. This is not the kind of feedback you want to hear fresh out of training and early on in your career at Paycom. You will not be trained on how to transition an account to the Paycom payroll - you will just learn as you go and hope for the best with your first payroll sale. So expect your first payroll transition to have many bumps and issues and expect to now dedicate most of your time to transitioning the payroll instead of looking for new business and selling.

Advice to Management

Dedicate more to field training to new sales reps by partnering them with tenured successful reps. Stop wasting precious work hours with silly games in the morning and hour long conference calls every week that are redundant and do not provide any added benefit. It would be much more effective to send out via email every week the sales across the country to everyone and once a month host a conference call to highlight the biggest sales and why they were successful. This way Friday afternoons could be utilized making sales calls, having appointments, finding "rainbows" or doing extra training. Currently no one pays attention during the Friday conference call until their region is up and they have to speak. Otherwise the call is on mute and everyone is playing with their cell phones or doing other things.

Jul 17, 2014 – Representative

We value your feedback and are sorry to hear your viewpoints of our sales culture. We pride ourselves on the high-character individuals that make up our organization and know that a career with ... More

"Nothing But Lies! No Diversity, All Good Reviews On Glassdoor Are Fake:"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits Are Ok But Thats It

Cons

Warning!!!!!!!!!! Anytime You See This Many Good Reviews They Are All Fake Even The Best Companies In The World To Work For Dont Have This Many Reviews That Are Good. The Reviews Are Fabricated By Paycom. Just Last Year Alone Our Reviews Were Very Bad But Paycom Had A Solution To This By Developing Good Reviews Themselves. They Also Have No Diversity And They Dont Want It Either, Racist, Pay Should Be Better For This Industry. We Were Ask To Post Good Reviews Online And We Would Get Bonuses. Keep In Mind I Wasnt Willing To Do It Because It Would Be Nothing But Lies And Im Sure Someone Will Add More Lies After This Review But Its Sad How Things Are Ran Within This Company. They Dont Want To Hire Anyone Of Color Its Terrible For The Company they prefer people that look like me and them WHITE, they dont believe that anyone that is a person of color would be able to be trusted by business owners and sell payroll and they believe that people of color cant sell at all and it makes the company look bad this is how the entire company is if you dont believe me look at LinkedIn and call corporate and ask how many minorities( African-American, Hispanic, Asian, etc) do they have on staff. Anyone That Has More Then 2 Jobs On There Resume Is A Job Hopper, Prefers College Graduates So They Can Do Whatever They Tell Them, Management Is Terrible one you are hired And Most Dont Know What They Are Doing Especially There Recruiters What A Joke they also have a certain type that they like to hire again look at LinkedIn they eventually will have a class action lawsuit with all of there dated practices, This Is The Worst Place I Have Ever Worked. They Actually Want People To Believe That This Is One Of The Best Places To Work In America When All Of This On Glassdoor Is Fabricated By The Owners, Management, And Hr. This Company Lives In The Ice Ages And They Will Do Anything To Make Potential Employees Believe That They Are A Good Company To Work For. There's Better Companies In America That Appreciate Diversity, Pay Well, And Have Great Management, And Excellent Benefits. Paycom Is Nothing What People Are Saying In These Fake Reviews My Advice Run And Dont Even Waste Your Time With Paycom Unless You Want To Be A Part Of The Revolving Door They Are Always Hiring They Cant Keep Sales Reps And If They Hire You And You Are A Person Of Color If You Cough Wrong You Will Be Fired It Goes On Throughout The Company.

Advice to Management

Terrible. Get All New Management in every department!

Nov 17, 2014 – Representative

We understand that not all posts are positive. In fact, we embrace all feedback, both good and bad. However, this post violates many of the Glassdoor Review Standards as it’s unbalanced, full of ... More

"Sales- Churn and Burn"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For the (in my estimate) less than 10% of reps that actually crush it, the comp is pretty unbelievable. Solid resume builder if you can last a year or longer. You'll learn a lot about various aspects of business that are applicable to many other opportunities. I still think the product and service model is the best available option for probably 85% of businesses in Paycom's target market, but that may just be the Paycom Kool-Aid talking.. There's another "pro": lots of kool-aid.

Cons

The rest of these reviews are heavily skewed by management or operations roles at corporate that are completely different and, in my opinion, not at all representative of the typical Paycom Sales Rep Experience. Key things to expect in the sales roles here:

Truly Impressive turnover- 70% of my class was gone by our 9th month. This was typical and my office had even worse figures for first year reps.

Terrible culture- Even the majority of those who excel are constantly debating leaving. They hang on for the next commission check and put up with management until they finally can't take it any more. You will be worked like a dog and given the worst PTO and Holiday policies I've ever seen. Management literally scoffs at, and is baffled by, the concept of work-life balance. There is also constant politicking so be ready to play the game 24/7.

Obstructive micro management- You'll constantly be struggling to balance the work you really need to complete to close business and the busy work your manager makes you do to hit activity metrics that haven't been relevant for years.

Advice to Management

Update metrics that reps are evaluated on to reflect today's sales cycle. Continue moving towards a more modern sales process with SDR's. Get out of your reps way and let them do what they were hired to do.

Dec 5, 2014 – Representative

We appreciate your post and can assure you that this has been sent to leaders within our sales organization. Regarding the estimated “less than 10%” of successful reps: on average roughly 30 percent ... More