Paycom Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
  • They always bring catered lunches from good restaurants for lunch that cost only (in 32 reviews)

• She would always push me and notice the hard work that I put into this position (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is a struggle (in 48 reviews)

• However they reward you for the hard work ethic (in 27 reviews)

"No Work/Life Balance"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity for amazing compensation

Cons

Very political, poor management (condescending), they play favorites like nobody's business, poor company/sales ethics, no work/life balance, inadequate training on set-up processes for clients, job isn't just sales - includes ALL prospecting, selling and setting up new clients

Advice to Management

Management needs to work on motivating their employees through other ways than scare tactics and making them feel as if they are less of a person if they mess up a call, or lose a sale. Invest in helping the sales reps - give sales the time to sell and give them the tools/help to prospect other than completely on their own (buy leads lists that aren't 10 years old, hire a small team to help prospect across the company).

Mar 13, 2014 – Representative

Sorry to hear you’re experiencing difficulties in your current role. We do expect a lot from our sales reps including prospecting and setting up new clients, which is a competitive advantage and why ... More

"Read review: The Full True Story"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Some of the people I have met are amazing people that will find success no matter where they are or what they do.

Cons

The review titled "The Full True Story" really hits it on the nose for the most part.
    Work/life balance: There is no work life balance at Paycom. After 6 months you will accumulate about 1.5 days of vacation time so for the first year don't plan on doing anything with your family or friends.
    Micromanagement: You will work in an environment of micromanagement. So if you like to be micromanaged all day every day then this is perfect for you. You will be working from 7am till 6pm every day. You will be at the office on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays at 7am sharp and don't be late even though you won't really start making phone calls till 8:30am. That hour and a half is used for "pumping up" by playing silly games such as taboo, pictionary, or catch phrase. And if you try to use those early morning hours to do work and not participate in the games - you will not be allowed. On every Friday there is a conference call at 4pm that lasts about an hour or hour and a half so that everyone can read off their sales for the week to the whole country and that you must be present for and you must take from the office. It seems to me that it would be a better use of time and money to be working in the field that last hour of work on Fridays because I can easily read an excel spreadsheet myself without having someone else read it off to me. On Good Friday before Easter the call lasted until 6:30pm. Again no work/life balance.
    Training: They say the training is considered a mini MBA but I would say it is standard in sales and nothing crazy. I have been a part of much more intense training programs that lasted 16 weeks (versus Paycom 5 weeks of training including corporate) and where you would spend time with successful tenured reps in order to learn best practices. At Paycom I rode with a rep only 5 times and who had under a year of experience and no executive status. My manager was never involved in any of the training. After training I tried to get my manager to ride with me sometimes but was told that unless I had an appointment with an executive or it was a second call then they would not be helping me or riding with me. This is not the kind of feedback you want to hear fresh out of training and early on in your career at Paycom. You will not be trained on how to transition an account to the Paycom payroll - you will just learn as you go and hope for the best with your first payroll sale. So expect your first payroll transition to have many bumps and issues and expect to now dedicate most of your time to transitioning the payroll instead of looking for new business and selling.

Advice to Management

Dedicate more to field training to new sales reps by partnering them with tenured successful reps. Stop wasting precious work hours with silly games in the morning and hour long conference calls every week that are redundant and do not provide any added benefit. It would be much more effective to send out via email every week the sales across the country to everyone and once a month host a conference call to highlight the biggest sales and why they were successful. This way Friday afternoons could be utilized making sales calls, having appointments, finding "rainbows" or doing extra training. Currently no one pays attention during the Friday conference call until their region is up and they have to speak. Otherwise the call is on mute and everyone is playing with their cell phones or doing other things.

Jul 17, 2014 – Representative

We value your feedback and are sorry to hear your viewpoints of our sales culture. We pride ourselves on the high-character individuals that make up our organization and know that a career with ... More

"Nothing But Lies! No Diversity, All Good Reviews On Glassdoor Are Fake:"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits Are Ok But Thats It

Cons

Warning!!!!!!!!!! Anytime You See This Many Good Reviews They Are All Fake Even The Best Companies In The World To Work For Dont Have This Many Reviews That Are Good. The Reviews Are Fabricated By Paycom. Just Last Year Alone Our Reviews Were Very Bad But Paycom Had A Solution To This By Developing Good Reviews Themselves. They Also Have No Diversity And They Dont Want It Either, Racist, Pay Should Be Better For This Industry. We Were Ask To Post Good Reviews Online And We Would Get Bonuses. Keep In Mind I Wasnt Willing To Do It Because It Would Be Nothing But Lies And Im Sure Someone Will Add More Lies After This Review But Its Sad How Things Are Ran Within This Company. They Dont Want To Hire Anyone Of Color Its Terrible For The Company they prefer people that look like me and them WHITE, they dont believe that anyone that is a person of color would be able to be trusted by business owners and sell payroll and they believe that people of color cant sell at all and it makes the company look bad this is how the entire company is if you dont believe me look at LinkedIn and call corporate and ask how many minorities( African-American, Hispanic, Asian, etc) do they have on staff. Anyone That Has More Then 2 Jobs On There Resume Is A Job Hopper, Prefers College Graduates So They Can Do Whatever They Tell Them, Management Is Terrible one you are hired And Most Dont Know What They Are Doing Especially There Recruiters What A Joke they also have a certain type that they like to hire again look at LinkedIn they eventually will have a class action lawsuit with all of there dated practices, This Is The Worst Place I Have Ever Worked. They Actually Want People To Believe That This Is One Of The Best Places To Work In America When All Of This On Glassdoor Is Fabricated By The Owners, Management, And Hr. This Company Lives In The Ice Ages And They Will Do Anything To Make Potential Employees Believe That They Are A Good Company To Work For. There's Better Companies In America That Appreciate Diversity, Pay Well, And Have Great Management, And Excellent Benefits. Paycom Is Nothing What People Are Saying In These Fake Reviews My Advice Run And Dont Even Waste Your Time With Paycom Unless You Want To Be A Part Of The Revolving Door They Are Always Hiring They Cant Keep Sales Reps And If They Hire You And You Are A Person Of Color If You Cough Wrong You Will Be Fired It Goes On Throughout The Company.

Advice to Management

Terrible. Get All New Management in every department!

Nov 17, 2014 – Representative

We understand that not all posts are positive. In fact, we embrace all feedback, both good and bad. However, this post violates many of the Glassdoor Review Standards as it’s unbalanced, full of ... More

"Might as well call this place PayCon."

Current Employee - Outside B2B Software Sales in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Outside B2B Software Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees steal sales from one another.

Cons

You're promised high pay, but you don't get it.

Advice to Management

You need new staff.

Jan 14, 2015 – Representative

We are sorry to hear you’re less than pleased. Our sales organization has protected territories and we are concerned to hear of your experience. In order to ensure this doesn’t happen, we encourage ... More

"Account Executive-Sales"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Training program and pretty much nothing else. I`d pay the salary back to the company to erase this experience.

Cons

70 hour work weeks, jobs threatened daily, no support on tax packet or implementation of things you sell, clients and job seekers beware!

Advice to Management

Stop treating your young work force that they are disposable! Stop using fear to motivate.

"Overall an okay place to work"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cheap benefits, catered lunches, good environment.

Cons

There is no room for advancement in an admin position in some departments. No real structure or job path for that position. More work and responsibility is given to you but no incentive or raise goes along with that, unlike specialists who receive raises when they reach certain goals on a clear job path.

Advice to Management

There is more to running a company than revenue. Respect your employees.

Jul 20, 2015 – Representative

We are sorry to hear of your experience. A number of our admins have take the opportunity to interview for various positions within the company and, as a result, have taken on new roles. In fact, we ... More

"Glad I'm Out"

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have a future hear... no, you really don't. There aren't really any plush sides to this job that other companies don't already do and do better.

Cons

A few people do well there. Most just burn out like a match or see it for the meat grinder it is and move on. I'd recommend thinking really long and hard before you accept any position with this company. It's very rare to find someone with more than a few years in at this company and there are very good reasons for that.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice to pass on.

Feb 2, 2016 – Representative

Providing our employees with professional growth opportunities is core to our culture. We give them the ability to expand their careers by offering professional and personal trainings, leveling-up ... More

"There's worse jobs out there"

Current Employee - Worker in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Worker in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As the title says, there's worse jobs out there. At least this one has the $1 insurance. It's not worth it though. Read on.

Cons

Ever wonder why Paycom is ALWAYS hiring? They say growth and there's some truth there but it's also massive turn over. I noticed since I started, not that long ago as professional jobs go, hardly anyone's names stayed the same with groups I communicate with. It was constantly a stream of fresh new faces as the last group got ground up. It was like this for almost every department.

I regularly see people break down in tears. Lots of stress, little training, middling middle management and micromanagement tends to do that to people.

The catered lunches? Won't last, at least as they are. The caterers are already cutting corners to feed people. The food quality has dropped immensely in the time I've been there.

Big year end party? It's a blast but again, can't last. Company is getting big and the expense is growing. With them being publicly traded, it'll be the first thing cut when money troubles hit.

Finally, that huge growth? There's no way it's sustainable. They'll continue to grow, I don't doubt it, but not at the explosive rate they have. Stock market agrees with me. The stock has lost 37% value in the last quarter.

So, work here? If you're desperate for work i would (I do!). But plan your exit strategy before it eats you alive.

Advice to Management

Train your middle management better. Working on quality over quantity.

Feb 12, 2016 – Representative

We are proud of our employee retention numbers as they are some of the best in the business. At Paycom, we are experiencing high growth, resulting in new opportunities for our employees, not turnover ... More

"Don't do it."

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

⊕ Management is nice… to your face
    ⊕ Growing company so room to move up, if you know the right people
    ⊕ $4 lunches, but not really worth it, I normally have to go out
    ⊕ Friendly co-workers
    ⊕ Always hiring (hmm… maybe there is a reason?)
    ⊕ Many learning opportunities
    ⊕ Year End Party (party they throw to reward for going through year end)
    ⊕ Stock Purchase Plan- READ THE FINE PRINT
    ⊕ 401k – this isn’t vested until you have served two years
    ⊕ $1 SINGLE PERSON health coverage, goes up to about $160 a pay period (higher copays though)
    ⊕ Reasonably large desk space
    ⊕ Paycom “swag” like t-shirts, pens, back massagers, Tupperware, other stuff you will never use
    ⊕ Good stepping stone job to put on your resume, but you won’t want to stay long.
    ⊕ Plenty of overtime and opportunity to work on the weekends for PSD Department
    ⊕ If you are well liked, it takes a LOT to get fired from here
    ⊕ Free coffee? Soda fountain on Fridays

Cons

⊗ Management may act like you are doing well to your face, but really talk about you negatively and personally behind you back.
    ⊗ You may be led to believe that what is said in one on ones with your supervisor or team leader are confidential, but it is not. Even personal issues you are having or non-work related issues.
    ⊗ Upper management and C level executives are absolutely oblivious to the issues, because when they are brought to a supervisor, it never goes any further. They don’t want to look bad.
    ⊗ Supervisors will go above and beyond to try to keep a person that they have a personal, outside of work relationship with, or long relationship with. However, if you are not a favorite you will be kicked to the curb without warning.
    ⊗ Growing company that has tons of inexperience. Not just on the specialist or TSS level, but the management level as well.
    ⊗ High-school-esque work environment in the PSD department.
    ⊗ Be prepared to be verbally attacked personally and nothing be done to the person that did it, even after talking to management.
    ⊗ If management is not fond of you be prepared to stay in your current position as long as you work there. They will not approve transfers to other departments either.
    ⊗ When hired, you are told there is a raise every 90 days, and that is not true for any position other than specialist, where you have to complete a series of tasks. Otherwise it is once a year with a cap of 4%.
    ⊗ One week each of sick and vacation given, along with 2 “Personal Days”.
    ⊗ No option for bereavement. You use the precious little vacation you get or leave without pay and get written up.
    ⊗ Little compensation for the workload. The pay is worth about half of what you are doing. Especially while in a non-client facing position. When asked, the management response about this is “It should be a stepping stone position, not a permanent one”, even though you can’t move up without their approval. Don’t count on it.
    ⊗ The $4 catered lunches are awful. Most taste terrible and they do not give you a reasonable serving. I would rather pay $10 for a bologna sandwich.
    ⊗ Always hiring, so no one knows what they are doing because the seniored employees quit.
    ⊗ Always adding new products or new requirements for the employees to learn and become experts at. As of this moment there are 39 products the Paycom Specialist is supposed to be an expert at, not including the system itself and the programs as well.
    ⊗ No bonuses. Nothing. At all. No Christmas bonus. Not a dime. Nothing. You get the year end party! Hey that makes up for it! No. A drunken conglomerate is not something I would rather have than a bonus.
    ⊗ Paycom is a self-insured company. Co-pays on insurance are higher.
    ⊗ Programs on the back end are archaic. Like Windows 98 kind of stuff.
    ⊗ Horrible work life balance. You will not work 8-5. Plan on weekends at Paycom, nights, early mornings. If you do get off at a decent hour your supervisor or team leader is texting you about issues. It consumes your life.
    ⊗ You will make friends here, but that is only because you don’t have time for any of your other friends. When you spend up to 14 hours with someone you find something in common eventually.
    ⊗ No one takes the job seriously. Rather than focusing on work, they would rather focus on whatever drama they can stir up. Instead of taking care of customers, phones go on DND to talk about inappropriate subjects.
    ⊗ HR does not support any objections against managers that you have a problem with, because they are friends with them too. Whoever complains disappears.
    ⊗ Honest reviews on Glassdoor are hunted like a Salem witch and the people magically are gone one day.
    ⊗ Employees feel they should go to Glassdoor instead of going to management, because it feels safer to risk it than go to the management.

Advice to Management

Stop keeping your head in the clouds. I know you are busy, but there is a war going on down here. It is the fight of retention. You are going to lose every one of your truly good and hardworking employees because of something easily fixed. Go through with a fine toothed comb and find the trouble makers. Conduct interviews. When someone comes to you with a problem with someone in upper management, don’t fire them. LISTEN. LISTEN to what we are telling you. We keep getting told that the company is growing so much. Build trust with your employees. We are told revenue is growing so much. Reward your people for that. Give a bonus, or a pay raise. You have to SHOW your appreciation. Not just say it. Instead, we are “rewarded” with longer work hours, increased client load, increased work load, increased stress, decreased help, and the feeling that we are disposable. I personally had a supervisor tell me that an entire team can just leave if they were not happy. If Paycom bends backwards to save a client who gives them a few thousand dollars, why don’t they do the same to specialists, TSSs, TEAM LEADERS? Those people’s experience should be worth millions to you. Treat them like it. If Paycom retained more people you wouldn’t be in as big of a pickle with staffing! Thinking of the PSD floor, you would be hard pressed to find a specialist that has been here for more than a year that isn’t in Ultra Care! The company is getting worse and worse. It is not the same as when I started, when people actually cared for the employees and the clients. Now no one cares for either, and it is very noticeable.
    Listen to employee surveys. We tell you, we just don’t see the change, and don’t say, what about the healthy meal option? because that doesn’t count. Both meals taste like my life at Paycom: cold, miserable, mushy, and salted with tears.

"Wow. Sold beachfront property in Utah."

Current Employee - Client Relations Representative
    Current Employee - Client Relations Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some nice coworkers. Thorough interview process.

Cons

Hours are supposedly 8-5 but everyone works roughly 60-80 a week exempt not by choice. Micromanagement is an understatement. Will pay $25 a month cell phone when you are in the field 85% of the week. Unrealistic expectations. Horrible management with no managerial training just a great promotion from selling. Everyone is overworked and too tired. ZERO work/life balance unless you consider working with your coworkers your personal life.

Advice to Management

Set realistic expectations for people, understand your reps territory and that not all rules will work in every setting. When hired tell them EXACTLY what is going on DAY 1. Have managers go thru manager training as the one I was with was gossiping with coworkers just the same. Zero respect or trust for a manager who does that. I quit after a month and nobody even acknowledged or asked any questions to understand what had happened.

Apr 6, 2016 – Representative

At Paycom, we look for individuals with a growth mindset, meaning they are constantly looking for growth opportunities, both personally and professionally. When times get hard, our employees with ... More