Paycom Reviews | Glassdoor

Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is a struggle (in 56 reviews)

• However they reward you for the hard work ethic (in 31 reviews)

1. "Paycom NCS"

Former Employee - NCS in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - NCS in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really good pay, awesome benefits, they will take care of their employees. Free coffee!

Cons

Stretched too thin, spent too much time in meetings that could have been used working. Not enough training for job function.

Advice to Management

Offer more training based upon job function. Especially for new employees.

"Poor Leadership and Culture"

I worked at Paycom full-time

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits as well as an amazing HR staff.

Cons

I am surprised at all of the positive reviews. Out of all of the people I know well at Paycom, the grand majority are unhappy. Team Leaders and C-Levels are typically the only ones truly happy.

Work life balance is not a terrible problem in all departments outside of customer service, but the mental work life balance is brutal. Coming home a frenzied, stressed and negative work environment makes it extremely difficult to remain mentally tough and leave it at the door before you go inside to your family. I found that it put a strain on my outside of work relationships.

Advice to Management

Career growth should be offered to everyone and experienced leadership should be put in place. It makes it difficult to grow when leaders are not experienced or do not have knowledge about the roles they are leading. This is not the Team Leaders' fault, but reflects directly on how disconnected the C-Level Executives are from how to truly lead their people and not just manage their people.

Additional advice would be to look at organizations that foster a culture of feedback to management and to the regular employees, then start to implement it. Paycom talks about feedback in almost every large meeting, but when an employee kindly gives feedback to someone above them they cannot receive it. I will never forget a meeting I was having with an executive and offering feedback when I was completely cut off and told, "We will figure that out later." It appears that the conversation of feedback is used as an excuse for managers to treat their employees negatively and poorly.

"Come Join Us!"

Current Employee - Product Management Team Lead in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Product Management Team Lead in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The investment the Leaders have in the company reflect with every achievement Paycom has received plus the hard work the employees have dedicated to their clients and company as a whole. It is great to know that there is opportunity to grow personally and professionally.

The environment and community at Paycom is incredible. The people I work with day-to-day are my family. I do life with them outside of work. Aslo, the company knows how to treat us by doing fun things such as: competitions, monthly luncheons, National Payroll Week, Customer Appreciation Week, Wellness Week and so much more.

Plus benefits and $4 meals cannot be beat.

Come Join Us!

Cons

The work we do here is a challenge, but honestly it is very rewarding.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing by staying focus on the mission. Continue to stay invested in your teams, employees and community. It all makes a difference. If anything, stay encouraged.

"Future Millionaires Club"

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This was my first job out of college and the opportunities have been remarkable. I went from having an entry level sales position in a start up market, making executive rep status and being promoted to one of the most influential roles in our sales organization in a very short period of time. Because I have gone through the Paycom journey myself and continue to work with hundreds of reps year after year, I feel qualified to say this company is truly a place that fosters and gives so much to those willing to learn and execute our processes & values. Our leadership team is dedicated to development and promoting top talent making our culture strong. If leadership is in your heart, and you're eager to move up quickly, this is the place to do it!

Don't let reviews about people who failed or didn't have the work ethic rob you of taking a great opportunity that could change your life. At the end of the day, we have the best leadership, product, people and growth in the industry (that's a fact), you want to be a part of this. Timing is everything, and we're in a great place so if you're driven, positive and willing to be a student of the business there is an opportunity for you to be very successful here.

Cons

Anything I list here would be a quality problem.

For example, our product changes all the time and there's a lot of learning to do. Do I love this? Not always. But I'm grateful for that because it means we are getting better every month, better serving our clients and creating new opportunities for our salesforce to get into new accounts. No company is perfect but all the problems I see at Paycom are quality problems you would want to have in a high growth company with an ever soaring price stock :)

#MoreMoneyMoreProblems
    #QualityProblems

Advice to Management

Continue to develop and recognize your top talent! Our people are everything

Sep 22, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for the review, your positive attitude and enthusiasm!

"Terrible Company to work for"

I worked at Paycom full-time

Pros

Lots of free stuff and parties, decent benefits

Cons

Paycom may be the worst company I've worked for. The give you fake titles to make you feel special but terrible pay although they throw lots of parties and give you gifts. *No one wants free food they want to be able to pay their bills.* my concerns that were brought to my supervisor were ignored. I was given a promotion with quadruple the workload but not offered a raise. When I quit, I emailed HR to ask how I could get my things and I was not emailed back but my things were thrown on my porch weeks later and anything glass or ceramic was broken. It's a good company to work for until you can get a real job. This is not a career and I know for a fact they post fake Glassdoor reviews talking about how wonderful they are. Don't buy into it.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

"Software dev"

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Friendly environment
    Very talented people
    Growing company

Cons

Not that I can think of

Sep 21, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for the review!

"An Amazing Place to Work"

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

The culture at Paycom is great. Paycom truly cares about the happiness and well being of their employees. It is because of this that we get such good benefit options to choose from. Management at Paycom also cares about the personal and professional growth of their employees.

Cons

Depending on the department a person gets placed in it takes longer to be promoted than what the recruiters say.

Sep 21, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for review and sharing your experience!

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paycom has one of the best cultures around for a company! The management really does care for the employees here and if you show you're willing to do the work, they are more than happy to invest a lot in your career! The $1 health insurance is an amazing benefit, as is the on campus gym with boot camp classes!

Cons

No real cons if you're not opposed to hard work and potentially long hours.

Sep 22, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for your review!

"5 Stars"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Continuing education. Christian culture. Employee appreciation.

Cons

My drive to get to work.

Advice to Management

Continuing education is critical.

"Executive Sales Rep"

I worked at Paycom full-time

Pros

Compensation: The earning potential is insane. I think they have to pay that much otherwise there would be no reason to do this job. Reps that finish in the top ten all make over $500k. BUT... take that with a grain of salt... especially now since they've raised the threshold for exec rep, it takes 1.5-2 years to start making good money, and the majority of reps will quit or get fired before they ever reach that point (turnover in first year reps is >70%).

Professional Development: They compared the first 18 months in this role to the equivalent to getting an MBA. I couldn't agree more. Training and development is thorough and ongoing. Paycom is developing some of the most impressive sales executives out there.

Cons

Work/Life Balance: There is none. It's funny because Paycom puts so much emphasis on achieving goals and living fulfilling lives. But at a certain point, I took a step back and realized everything that's important to me - relationships, travel, my health - was suffering as a result of this job. At the off chance I actually felt like I could take a day off, more times than not I'd end up working for several hours - taking calls, responding to emails, putting out fires.

Ruthless, Cutthroat Culture: Sales reps are dropping like flies. Either quitting or getting fired. Once a certain number of weeks goes by without selling a new unit, you are written up and pretty much start on a path towards getting fired. Turns out, feeling like you're going to lose your job doesn't exactly foster the best mindset to get out there and actually sell something. Yes, I recognize there are many reps who truly need to go, but the manager needs to be given more discretion if they know the rep is truly capable of success.

Implementations: Sales reps manage implementations. Yes, there are TSRs, but depending on staffing or the size of the deal, it's entirely possible that a sales rep does most of it on their own. This takes away a considerable amount of time that we should be out there selling, and sales receives zero implementation training. I was basically left to fall on my face multiple times until I figured out what the hell I was doing. Paycom needs more TSRs and you need to pay them more. You are failing many of your clients when it comes to implementations.

Advice to Management

Advice to Management:
    1. Have you ever paused to consider how many talented and fiercely loyal reps you have lost due to the unrealistic pressures you put on them? Loosen your grip. I think you may be surprised to see an INCREASE in sales as a result.
    2. You need a better process in selecting and training sales managers. Just because someone is a $1M+ rep does not mean they will make a good sales manager. There are so many managers out there that are completely incapable of developing new talent into high-caliber reps. Not everyone can be so lucky to be hired into Orange County...

Advice to Sales Reps: Don't believe the BS leadership spews that you'll never have it better than you do at Paycom. Now that I'm a few months removed, I realize that could not be father from the truth. Do you realize how many high-paying sales organizations are out there dying to hire you? And guess what? You can have your life back and get out of the miserable payroll industry!