Paycom Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
Cons
  • PTO first year, work life balance (in 42 reviews)

• This job involves hard work - especially while you are in training (in 25 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best company I have ever worked for!"

Current Employee - HCM Team Leader in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - HCM Team Leader in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growth, perks, benefits, year end party, training, continued education, amazing leadership, friendly atmosphere. If you work hard and put in the work and strive to be a great leader, opportunities will come your way. It is an amazing company who has leaders that want to see everyone excel and flourish. Paycom appreciates its employees and will continue excelling. I have never worked for a company that has so much growth opportunity and truly values their employees.

Cons

No cons in my eyes. A lot of people complain about work however, that is your job and it is so exciting to see how much a paycom is growing. Yes, there will be long days and stressful situations that will come up but that is just part of it and that is at any workplace. Every company will have times like this. We are a growing company and are going to continue to grow and improve. Paycom has the best leaders to help guide and support you and the training department is amazing!

Advice to Management

Continue the amazing leadership, sharing the vision and empowering your employees.

Oct 21, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your Paycom experience with others. We're glad you're a part of the Paycom family!

2. "great talent search"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

when I applied for one position, they asked me to come in for another position that they felt I was more qualified for. I love my job!! Everyone there is very friendly!

Cons

I don't have any cons thus far.

"Treated like Children (FYI Paycom begs their employees to give positive glassdoor reviews)"

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

The earning potential is very strong and excellent young employees due to the intense hiring process

Cons

Schedule: Mondays start around 7:40AM till 10AM - Forecasting your deals and being grilled to death if you have nothing... even if you were the number one rep the week before, the flavor of the week paycom propaganda, talking about mental management because everyone is barely keeping it together, talking about your accounts to everyone. After 10Am you have an hour meeting with your manager and the rest of the time you are working on implementation or trying to find new companies to call on. You feel like a failure if you leave before 5:30pm even though you came in the office before 7:40AM.
    Tuesday: 7:40AM till 9AM in a pointless training around cold calling or something useless.
    9AM till 12:00PM Cold calling on the same 200 companies you called 3 days ago. Very non strategic tactics here. "You sound just like my client _____ and we were able to do ____ for them how about next Thursday at 1:00. Most of the managers are so out of touch they dont realize how this part of our job has changed so much. The competition is being more strategic here.
    12PM- Usually working on implementations or maybe a sales call.

Wednesday/Thursday- These are sales call days but you are so slammed with implementations it makes it impossible to just focus on sales. Your manager will call you at 8:00Am yelling at you why you are not in your territory yet even if you don't have your first sales call till 9Am or 10Am. You are supposed to stay in your territory till at least 5:30 and show up to potential clients unannounced which burns bridges.
    Friday- Cold calling from 7:40AM till 12:00PM then implementation till the sales call at 4:15 which last till 5:30PM.

Other cons: You will put 20,000+miles on your car per year, no company computer which is a huge liability since we are doing implementations with our computers, one week of vacation, 2 personal days, and 5 days of sick first year then you get another week of vacation the next year till 5 years. No one stays 5 years. If you are not killing your quota then you will be shamed when you take vacation, only 6 holidays, very little help in the transition, you will work 80 hours a week during year end time. Also, you stay late with clients helping them do mountain piles of work for the implementation.

Never allowed to work from home and they always are looking over your shoulder from the security cameras. The CRM system is home grown and garbage. The implementation process is the most manual in the industry.

Advice to Management

Chad is tyrant and bullies his employees which trickles down to every department with his leadership style. Millennials will not be micromanaged and treated like children. Good luck scaling your growth continuously for the next 5 years with your model. The turnover at Paycom is wayyyy higher than what they portray to the outside.

Feb 24, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for your candid review. As you mentioned, we have a strong process and our good performers thrive financially. We hire excellent and vibrant top performing people who are successful in an ... More

"Implementation Specialist"

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

There is a lot of freedom in this role, you get to manage your schedule while ensuring all of your projects stay on time. It is also not the monotonous role that a lot of other jobs are, this job is truly different every day.

Cons

Although not necessarily a con, the role evolved tremendously. Change is necessary for a company like Paycom.

Feb 24, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for sharing your experience. While each job is different, we'd hate to think any role is monotonous! We appreciate the feedback.

"Great perks from the outside, growing pains on the inside"

Current Employee - Team Support Specialist
    Current Employee - Team Support Specialist

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is my first job out of school, and I can honestly say it's not terrible. There are plenty of good benefits and perks, which is a nice gesture on Paycom's part. I have met some great people and it is absolutely a young, energetic culture. Some people absolutely love it here, and that is great for them. If you have an aggressive, determined personality and desire above all else to be at the top (how you get here is irrelevant) and make as much money as possible, you will likely thrive at Paycom. As someone who values genuine relationships (especially with my superiors) and wants to feel invested in and valued by my company, I have learned that Paycom is not the best place for this.

Cons

The starting pay is really not great at all. I could have gone anywhere else out of college and made nearly twice as much as I make here, but I took at chance as I was lured in with promises of promotions, raises, and opportunities to move around and try as many positions as I desired! I quickly learned this wasn't the case-I didn't even have the option to level up for a year, and moving positions/departments is certainly not an option-unless you're friends with upper management that is. Otherwise, any expression of dissatisfaction will result in performance improvement plans, empty promises of "talking to management", and even termination (this is what I have observed, not experienced personally). There is a ton of turnover, probably due to targeting college grads who have never had a full time job, and then promising dozens of untrue things.
    There are some awful people in leadership. I truly was prepared to love my job, but I had unprofessional TL's who destroyed my optimism. I was told to direct my questions elsewhere or figure it out on my own when coming to TL's with a question, I watched them flirt with members of their team and ignore the rest of the team, I listened to them gossip and make fun of other employees, and I listened as they placed the blame of any negative process onto upper management in order to keep their slate clean. Overall, the relationships were ingenuine and most people (leaders included) had ulterior motives of using you to make themselves look better and move up quicker. The greatest issue I have with the company, though, is the amount of empty words and double standards. There is so much inconsistency across teams and departments that it is always impossible to know what is going on. I have spent weeks working on "urgent, necessary projects" only to finish and realize they were unnecessary because not everyone was on board or informed. This causes constant frustration and unorganization, and quickly breaks trust.

Advice to Management

Please, please pay attention to who you are promoting into leadership positions. Bring in older employees with more life/job experience and level-headed wisdom if needed, as that is greatly lacking within the company. Benefits and perks are fun, but those will not stand the test of time if they are not paired with genuine investment in and authentic relationships with your employees. Be willing to accept criticism and learn from past mistakes. Simply speaking things into being, like saying "We Win" over and over again, will not in fact cause the company to "win", at least in the long run. Everyone seems a little too blinded by money and power.

Feb 17, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for sharing your experience. Paycom is committed to building a supportive culture for our employees and we’re sorry to hear that you feel your experience has been otherwise. As a current ... More

"Paycom"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paycom is the most amazing company with exceptional leaders. There is plenty of growth opportunity and they compensate you very highly. I have nothing but amazing things to say about Paycom. I am unbelievably grateful to work here.

Cons

I do not have anything even remotely negative to say about Paycom.

Advice to Management

None.

Feb 7, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Paycom.

"Hard work is rewarded"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation, development, trainings, travel, reaching your potential

Cons

PTO first year, work life balance

Feb 3, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for the review and feedback.

"Eleven years of greatness"

Current Employee - Manager - Programming & Data Sciences in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Manager - Programming & Data Sciences in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have consulted and worked at 4 other payroll/HCM firms before being at Paycom, and consulted at numerous other financial firms in the mortgage and insurance industry as well. Once I met the ownership and leadership years ago, I knew this was the place I'd want to work for while building a life and building a family.

In 11 years now, both in Dallas and Oklahoma City, Paycom leadership has never let me down. Not once. There's something to be said for that.

The opportunities both to grow and to wear different "hats" inside the organization continually come. Those with a good work ethic and a good business sense are rewarded well, and rewarded on many fronts. I can actually and fully respect my peers here... and fully respect those in high leadership.

The environment is one of collaboration, hearing out ideas, making work fun, encouraging/rewarding innovation, and celebrating diversity.

Cons

Overall, none. Sometimes it seems as though there are a lot of younger hires that get upset that they cannot be promoted numerous times in their first year or two - that is just not realistic.

Jan 31, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Wow. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We're so happy you're happy!

"Its an okay company."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If i show up and do my job, I receive a paycheck.

Cons

The culture is very cult like so anything negative said will get you a write up or cause you to be an outcast.

Alot of the time you do more than your are compensated (pay is terrible compared to stress level)

Advice to Management

It would be nice if paycom was more accepting of criticism. Its not a perfect company. My job shouldn't be on the line for voicing faults with the company.

Feb 9, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for your candor. We appreciate you sharing your feedback and are disappointed that you don’t feel as if your voice is heard. We strive to be an company open to constructive feedback ... More

"Best Place to Work"

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Just working there in general is a pro. Everyone is positive and helpful all of the time. They care very much about their employees and go out of their way to make them want to come to work. If you want to be promoted 9 times out of 10 your TL will help you get to where you want to be. Nothing but good things to say.

Cons

There is not a thing that is bad.

Jan 31, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for sharing your experience!