Paycom Reviews | Glassdoor

Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is a struggle (in 50 reviews)

• However they reward you for the hard work ethic (in 27 reviews)

"PSD is the Paycom Sweat Department"

Current Employee - Team Support Specialist
    Current Employee - Team Support Specialist

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The social aspect of the job is amazing. I've made friends here that will be around for the rest of my days. My team and team leader are the best. The benefits are decent, especially for people who are just out of college. The Year End Party is pretty cool too.

I also really like the shade of green Paycom uses.

Cons

I don't even know where to begin.

On the flip side, the social aspect of this job can be a nightmare. Unless you really drink the Paycom Kool-aid, you'll get passed up on promotions and whatnot just because you aren't a Paycom cheerleader.

Management has gone crazy. They've practically tripled the workload since I started working here, but they haven't really increased the reward. Now they just threaten everyone with write ups constantly. Management has gotten pretty proficient at firing people lately. Terminated something like 20 people or so in just a few weeks.

The PSD department keeps taking one step forward and two steps back. They tell us that we have to do all this extra work so that our jobs will be easier in the future. Fun fact: our jobs aren't going to get easier. They've been telling us it'll get easier for months and it only gets worse. Management constantly finds exciting new ways to make life miserable. Every two weeks a process changes or software that barely works gets released and we have to figure out how to deal with it without being fired.

On top of all this, since we're the main client-facing department, we have to deal with angry clients. Constantly. Even if we didn't cause the problem. NCS set up everything wrong? Too bad PSD, you're gonna fix it or we're going to hold it against you. That's pretty much the way it works around here.

And now on to the parking situation. There's only two speeds when it comes to Paycom traffic: snail crawl or Mad Max: Fury Road. If you want decent parking, you have to show up about an hour early. Then it hopefully won't take an hour to leave.

tldr version: Paycom ok, PSD department bad. PSD is like Hotel California. You can check out but you can never leave.

My advice is if you're thinking of working here, work in a department that is not PSD. I love my team, but that's it. This department gives me daily micro-panic attacks and I don't even have anxiety. I've heard great things about other departments though. So go that route.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, even the ones who aren't the popular cheerleaders. We all have something to contribute.

"Would've recommended 3 months ago"

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

-Insurance
    -pay
    -side perks you already know if you've looked into this workplace

Cons

When I started over a year ago, it was an exciting place to be. A place I was so proud to be a part of and tell the world about.
    That's changed.
    They strived to be this amazing HCM company (human capital management) basically meaning their people are their assets.
    Great!
    How do you appreciate your human assets exactly? Have HR come up with creative themes we can blast with hashtags? Not a bad idea but when you begin freaking out and start clearing house to replace employees in leadership positions so you can fill them with external sources to bring you back up... you may think it's a good business strategy and would be if your employees weren't your asset. But we are, right?
    Now we're all scared. Now we take vacations so we're off the radar. Firing people daily and that have been with Paycom for 5-10 years over things that should be a conversation. Yet, you give them a box to fill & get out.
    I'm scared to pieces typing this bc I need to pay rent. Rent I agreed to previously bc I felt secure. Now I'm scared you'll find out someway who I am and hand me that box on Monday too.

Advice to Management

Make a solid and safe culture your priority. Your beginning instincts were right. If you need to shift to accommodate new goals, move forward with that. Don't make an, "apply changes retroactively" button like you do with your system apply to your people.
    We believed in you. We were proud of Paycom.
    Not an impressive place to work right now.

Aug 15, 2017 – Paycom Representative

We appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback for Paycom. We hope many of our current employees recognize that our 46 percent revenue growth in 2016 means both great success and opportunities... More

"PSD Management Soiling CEOs Vision"

Current Employee - PSD
    Current Employee - PSD

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

$1 health insurance
    High pay if you put in the time.
    Recently revamped accruals- more PTO
    $4 catered lunches
    Year End Party
    On-site employee appreciation events

Cons

-Management in PSD department. We are led with a “trail and error” approach. Processes are often rolled out and then rolled back when the irrationality becomes apparent. Every week brings and even poorer thought out plan than the previous. This is the result of promoting people who incur favor from upper management as opposed to earning their promotions based on merit.
    -Unrealistic expectations of client facing roles.
    -Increased workload with no accompanying support from management.
    -Reactive process changes and job functionalities. Something has to go very wrong to initiate any kind of change.
    -Decline in quality of product. Massive IT problems.
    -Continuous set-up issues for new clients
    -No accountability from supporting departments- specialist told to take ownership of every error.

Advice to Management

Listen to and shadow your subordinates to accurately gauge what their daily duties truly entail. No manager who truly has their employees’ interests at heart would continue to pile on additional duties with impossibly high expectations then turn around and hand out write-ups like candy for the mistakes that take place. PSD is set up to fail and then penalized for doing so.

Paycom does not provide an avenue for employees to voice concerns and log complaints that provides actionable change. You will see Paycom respond to other negative reviews and suggest the HR hotline or talking to their immediate supervisor. Nothing seems to initiate change like a glassdoor review so until Paycom starts listening to their staff they will see an influx of reviews on glassdoor and other sites. If you have your manager’s support, you do not feel the need to get on glassdoor in the first place.

Paycom also does a major disservice to its clients with the monthly updates. These updates are not thoroughly vetted, break other system functions, and drive clients away. Several major clients have noticed this pattern and are now on an internal list to be exempted from certain updates. This is a great example of Paycom recognizing a problem and taking no action. Every solution is a temporary fix- the root causes continue to fester in the system and cause larger IT issues. Many clients leave because the product they pay for often glitches out and causes additional work for the client. Our IT department sacrifices quality for quantity- every month brings more than 20 updates and each could cause numerous additional problems. These problems will likely not be fixed until the next month’s updates.

Every job brings stress. Paycom may be the only company who puts more stress on its workforce than the customers they service. My advice to Chad Richison would be to replace his PSD management staff. Many of them come in to collect a paycheck instead of properly rolling out new processes to team leaders, saving clients who may leave for another payroll company, or taking action on any feedback they get- UNLESS that feedback gives them a chance to write someone up. Promote people who truly understand the company, the clients, and the employees instead of whoever is most popular at the time. Chad, I believe in your vision which is why I continue to work at Paycom. There is a huge chasm between your vision and its execution. I implore you to find the root cause and make a change. As a whole- we are a profitable and functioning company. Can you imagine how much more productive we would be if we were happy?

Aug 9, 2017 – Paycom Representative

We would like to make sure you understand the tremendous growth Paycom has experienced over the past year and a half. The company is listening and we encourage you to use the anonymous third-party... More

"Under the Surface its not that great"

Former Employee - Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great compensation package, including base pay + Benefits
    Opportunity for quick advancement
    Great, young, co-workers
    Fast growing
    Not afraid of change
    Great continual learning environment
    Fantastic team setting

Cons

Inexperienced management that got promoted just because they have been there longer than everyone one else, the result of incredibly high turnover, leads to bad leadership at a lower level and many mistakes on a daily operations level.
    Negative atmosphere, because the majority of people in the service department do not like there jobs.
    The workload from client list is only manageable at slower times, but the majority of the time it is almost impossible for even experienced specialist to keep up.
    Blackout period did not seem too bad of a thing at first, but combine no time off around the holiday season for time with families with working 60 hours a week and its a nightmare.
    Some of these cons are driven by the fiduciary responsibility to make as much money for your investors as possible.

Advice to Management

Truly caring about your employees goes beyond free lunches. If employees were not so obviously overworked by having burden after burden placed on them, they would enjoy working there more and increase productivity. Employees do not have a job that allows them to take care of their lives outside of work. It is a problem when working there for 2 years is an accomplishment, which you shrug off by saying your growing so fast, but it’s a problem, because people don’t last because they hate it. continue to make positive improvements that take needless busy work away from specialist that have a lot to do already. Keep encouraging and enhancing the learning process. Understand that you can be a great place to work, even though employees don't like working there and accept that you need to change something, start making practical common sense steps to create jobs that people will like going to work for, and stop trying to create a culture by giving away free t-shirts.

Jul 28, 2017 – Paycom Representative

In the Pros, you listed “Fast growing” and Paycom has grown fast. In 2016, the company experienced 46% revenue growth. With growth comes challenges such as developing and implementing new processes... More

"Bitter/sweet"

Current Employee - NCS in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - NCS in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom (More than 5 years)

Pros

•Coworkers
    •The opportunity to have a job
    •The gym and classes
    •Cheap insurance
    •The $4 dollar lunches would be a pro. They bring the same disgusting lunches over and over.
    •The leadership program is AWESOME, but you guys have employees that are doing the leadership program and still have a very negative mindset, complainers, people who gossip and just unprofessional people who don't need to be leaders.
    •When a leader is promoted you should look at the person as a whole and not just certain qualities.
    •Depending on what department you work in, it could be a true win for you.

Cons

•There is absolutely no diversity here at Paycom. They prefer to hire a certain age group right out of college.
    •Alot of the leaders need more leadership training. Just because you give them the materials doesn't mean it will last. You need to see how all team leaders interact with their teams.
    •The turn over rate is extremely high. I've seen hundreds of employees quit and get fired. The company is growing but the turn over rate is extremely high!!!!
    •The work load is unequal. Certain teams have more revenue and more work while others have less. So the pay is the same for more work.
    •In some departments it's hard to transfer. Management doesn't like it.
    • A lot of high school drama
    •Very low pay for a lot of positions
    •Paycom does get new employees to write reviews when they haven't even been employeed long enough to know about what's going on or what has been going on with the company.
    •There are no career paths for some employees
    •All departments need better communication
    • Some teams and departments get to have more "fun" than others

Advice to Management

Really pay attention to all your leaders throughout Paycom and have a group of more diverse employees. Make opportunities and career paths fair for everyone. Just because a employee has a "lower position" than others. Doesn't mean they won't be a great leader or long term employee for Paycom.

Jul 3, 2017 – Paycom Representative

It’s unfortunate to hear you are unsatisfied with your role. Regarding compensation, we have leveling-up programs that enable employees to increase their compensation by adding various tasks and... More

"The good, the bad, the ugly about Paycom"

I worked at Paycom full-time

Pros

-Training and development program
    -Head of sales is incredibly inspiring
    -Compensation opportunity ($200k+)
    -Medical plans $1 per pay period
    -Executive Sales Representatives quarterly training in Dallas
    -Culture used to be a huge plus but management has changed that significantly

Cons

-Success depends on office manager (take the job if you're applying in Orange County)
    -NEW senior leader has drastically changed sales culture (he will ask you about your religious views and political affiliation)
    -Management team does not value career sales, only as good as your last couple of deals
    -Politics for promotional opportunities
    -In 2016 Paycom changed President's Club location last minute from Grand Caymen Islands to Scottsdale, AZ
    -First year work/life balance (expect 60+ work weeks)
    -Buyers hate payroll companies and do not want to change
    -Overly competitive marketplace
    -Long sales cycles (4-6 months average)
    -Be prepared to facilitate and coordinate all payroll implementations without payroll training
    -Major turnover in sales organization (especially first year reps >70%)
    -Complex software to learn (diverse product set)
    -Gossip mill and politics across offices
    -Inexperienced managers due to lack of training
    -Internal HR department is extremely unprofessional and unprepared

Advice to Management

-Monitor the culture across offices
    -Pay attention to turnover and exit surveys, your culture is bleeding and you need to do something about it
    -Leader of the company needs to change dictator leadership style

May 18, 2017 – Paycom Representative

We appreciate you acknowledging the many positives to working in sales at Paycom. We strive to offer tremendous training, support and opportunity to our sales representatives. Regarding some of your... More

"Big money, big brother"

Pros

Literally the highest paying job I can think of that doesnt require an advanced degree. $70,000 to $125,000 first 1-2 years is far from uncommon. It makes me queasy thinking about how much money I passed up on.

Cons

Massive turnover. Stress-test/weed-out for first two months. Set 7 appointments per week or gtfo. You will get screamed at while cold calling & thrown out by security on sales visits. Very high pressure. Discrimination- get ready for regional VP to grill you on going to church. Machiavellian politics-people will take your business. Looks count... No diversity.

Advice to Management

Take it easy on new hires! Spread training out over another month, give people a chance. I had almost a $1,000,000 sales year 1 in my pipeline, you'll likely never hear from me again.

May 11, 2017 – Paycom Representative

At Paycom, our sales team is competitive and strives to perform at a high level, which results in the financial success your mentioned. Unfortunately, what you describe does not align with Paycom’s... More

"Outside Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Portland, OR

I worked at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High-Base compensation
    Intensive, thorough training

Cons

Incredibly demanding
    Paycom does not belief in work/life balance, they believe in "life fulfillment."
    Very stressful, with no emotional support
    Insufficient PTO policies

Advice to Management

Salespeople are still people, with families. The company loses highly-competent, successful people due to burnout from meeting unrealistic expectations. Family & Personal lives suffer as a result. Turnover is not due to poor self-image, it's due to the unreasonably demanding nature of the role you seek to fill.

Mar 20, 2017 – Paycom Representative

We absolutely believe in the importance of “life-fulfillment” and support our employees through training and professional development programs. PTO increases with tenure as it does at most... More

"The Stress of Micromanagemt"

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paycom is truly a great product and the opportunity to make crazy money at a young age is there. The sales offices are full of young and successful people who are great to spend time with. The sales training is amazing, definitely worth my time at Paycom just to go through that program. It really is equivalent to earning a BA in 1 month.

Cons

Expectations change on a weekly basis for sales offices. Every week there is a new metric that you need to hit and a new form of micromanagement to try to push you towards rarely achievable metrics. The "Paycom Standards" are ridiculous. The company vision is "world domination" (words from the CEO) and the sales team is understaffed for the types of numbers that they want offices to hit. You can expect your sales manager to be sitting next to you making sure to critique every phone call you make and not let you spend and extra 5 seconds off in between phone calls. You will be getting text messages and phone calls from the sales manager all day long asking for updates. The management is very young and immature. Everyone fears the CEO. At the end of the day, you just feel like you are getting stomped on by upper management. Once you think you have things figured out and everything is going well, the expectations will change the next week. Ask about the turnover rate for the sales team if you are interviewing for a sales position. Also, the company is going through some growing pains right now. Sales Reps are given too many responsibilities from the transition and client relations team, which is resulting is lower customer satisfaction than advertised because the Sales Reps are only trained to sell, not implement.

Advice to Management

Try to have some consistency. The standards and expectations change every week and it causes the moral to be extremely low. For a company that cares so much about company culture for their clients, the sales offices are treated like dirt.

Feb 16, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for sharing your feedback. The training regime and expectations of the Paycom sales team are both challenging and lofty – by design – and not for everyone. The HR technology software... More

"Someone who intended to be a long term employee but just couldn't"

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The convenience of $4 lunches, benefits (insurance starts at about $100 a check for a dependent, so the $1 is only for yourself), some of the team leads and most definitely the people that kept me sane.

Cons

Everything that's been put in other reviews is absolutely true. There is hardly any PTO, you are made to feel guilty when you take it. It accrues at a slow rate per checks so you have to save it and never ask off if you want to have multiple days at a time. I had to push for a few unpaid hours to take a single day for my kids since my sitter was ill but watched multiple young girls call in so much they were already taking unpaid time.

I wanted to be there a long time but they expect a ton of overtime out of you with little sympathy for people with families, even with horrible weather. They send an email out about the "nature of their business" needing everyone to be at work but it's weird how none of the managers are there? They will have you working so many hours and get used to the extra money then take it away one morning where you can't clock in early or late and must leave for lunch. Also, if you're one minute late, you are talked to and I've seen people get written up for being 6 minutes late when they gave their team lead notice for it.

You are written up for very small things. Whether it be metrics, positivity, or phone use that's not even to an excess. If work is slow and you have nothing to do, you have to appear to look busy and get glared at for quietly chatting with coworkers for a few minutes. I have been told to not discuss daily work frustrations or "current events" aka- news stories with the people I spend most of my waking hours with.

I've seen people in my own and other departments get fired for things at the drop of a dime without warrant, then management will say they had "plenty of warning and notice" when in fact they didn't, because sometimes those people are your closest friends outside of work so you know it's not true.

The leaders are very young, they have barely any life or work experience, and they take a few training classes, learn how to be "heart or hammer" type of leader and think they are fit for the job. They are usually chosen by who looks and acts the part, who wears blazers and promotes positivity everyday. I have yet to see a tenured, experienced person chosen for a position.

Also, we have NEVER seen the CEO at Paycom. Not once.

Advice to Management

Stop the micromanaging and treating capable employees like children with the monthly "recognition" meetings where the same few people win every time and having adults play games, give more PTO, because we watch all of you take tons of time off, and give bonuses to the groups who carry your company and keep the secrets about the system that you don't want others to know.

Feb 17, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for sharing your review. We also intend for every employee to be a “long-term employee.” The past year has been one of tremendous growth at the company, both in size and opportunity which... More