Paycom Reviews | Glassdoor

Paycom Reviews

Updated February 27, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • PTO first year, work life balance (in 42 reviews)

• This job involves hard work - especially while you are in training (in 25 reviews)

"Worst job I've ever had from the worst company I've ever worked for"

Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

the pay plan was fairly aggressive, but still not proportional to the work involved. They don't require any payroll related experience from their employees, which is good for people that need jobs, but not very good for their clients.

Cons

Working at paycom was worst than working at restaurants growing up. their leadership team has no idea what's involved half of the companies positions, or the kind of stress that's pushed onto the payroll specialist. I was working there for two years under the most incompetent manager I could imagine. Paycom only promotes from within for most positions, so most of their management team has no experience outside of the company. adding this to their high turnover, most payroll specialist have only worked for the company for less than two years. the clients are trusting kids that have barely gotten out of college with a sociology degree, to make important tax adjustments for their company.

while working there as a payroll specialist, I was never properly shown how to validate taxes at the end of each quarter. because of this, my clients had huge tax issues each quarter that they were completely unaware of. The system doesn't keep track of taxes correctly for several reasons, so taxes needed to be manually adjusted for individual employees from about 20% of my clients each quarter end. Every time I had asked for help in any circumstance, I was refereed to a "senior specialist" on my team. The senior specialist have worked for the company for at least a year and are under more stress than the entire team since they have up to 150 individual clients, and are working on their own issues each day. our senior didn't have the time, tact, or desire to adequately walk me through the process.

while initially in appears that there is a lot of potential to move up in the company, there isn't really enough growth to have a likely chance of being promoted. while working there, I saw far more employees get fired over minor mistakes, than to see employees get promoted.

the computer system frequently changes with aesthetic updates, which do nothing to fix the abundant problems and glitches that frequently come up. they have hundreds of known glitches that never see any progress, while the programmers instead direct their attention at color schemes.

while paycom does have training programs for their payroll specialist, they are extremely minimal. since the computer system changes so often, training is a constant thing. the specialist don't get much of a chance to experience the new system before an update happens, so when the clients call in with all of the new questions, as a specialist you'll have to research everything on your own. the team leaders who are over the specialist don't deal directly with the actual computer system once their promoted, and usually aren't able to keep informed of the constant system changes. as a specialist, you have no one to ask for help from when clients come up with an issue your unfamiliar with. If you ask around to the other specialist, you get different answers from each of them.

through my training some of the focuses were " never let a client know how little experience you have" , " never let your clients know how many clients you actually have", and my personal favorite, " always have the clients fix their own problems, even if you could help them significantly" . there were several occasions that came up with that last topic. For the two years that I worked there, I was only allowed to work overtime through Christmas and new years. no specialist are allowed to take any days off for all of December since the w2's are needing to be filed. I never had enough time to help my clients solve their issues. when I tried to, I was told that I was wasting time, and needed to focus on other things.

In the end, my manager overloaded me with work and through constant meetings pulling me away from all of the workload I was given, I had far too much stress to continue employment there. The health insurance was nice. the cafeteria only served salads 90% of the time. while I was originally told that my focus was the clients and to make their experience better, I was never equipped to do that, and constantly told otherwise by my direct manager. this was the worst job that I've ever taken, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemies. I hope to never encounter the same amount of stress that I was given through that two years of employment. I was physically sick with anxiety several times through that period.

Advice to Management

let the specialist make request for updating things in the system and encourage them to make these requests.

Dec 30, 2014 – Representative

We’re disappointed to hear your experience wasn’t positive. Your feedback is important and has been passed on to our leadership team. We want to take a minute to address a few of your ... More

"Might as well call this place PayCon."

Current Employee - Outside B2B Software Sales in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Outside B2B Software Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees steal sales from one another.

Cons

You're promised high pay, but you don't get it.

Advice to Management

You need new staff.

Jan 14, 2015 – Representative

We are sorry to hear you’re less than pleased. Our sales organization has protected territories and we are concerned to hear of your experience. In order to ensure this doesn’t happen, we encourage ... More

"DON't DO IT!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are right of college and can't find anything better, it will put food on the table until you can.

Cons

It was the WORST job and experience i've had! The training for sales isn't that bad, but there is essentially no product training. I left a sales job making $100K because I wanted another challenge and it this seemed very promising long term. At the end of the day you're selling payroll, but they make you believe you're changing the world somehow. It is 100% turn and burn, a VERY long process to actually make a sale, and every company you are calling has been called 5 times already that day by a payroll company. I wasn't a slacker, I was well over my quota when I left, and thank GOD I did. There were 12 people in my training class about 18 months ago, none of them are still there!!! DON'T LISTEN TO THE RECRUITERS WRITING REVIEWS ON HERE!!!

Feb 13, 2015 – Representative

We’re sorry to read of your experience and hope you are able to find a challenging career that fits you better. As you can see by our previous responses, we do not shy away from the fact that being a ... More

"It's not what it seems...the benefits do not outweigh the stresses."

Former Employee - Paycom Specialist (Payroll Specialist) in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Paycom Specialist (Payroll Specialist) in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay if you need it and can handle a ton of stress.
    Benefits are pretty good.
    Occasional company functions that can be fun.
    Free to use fitness center.

Cons

Positions are too robust, too much responsibility.
    Very high turnover rate and staffing issues.
    The system changes so much that you have no help and no support from IT and managers when you need it.
    Company is concerned with growth and revenue and not their employees.
    Too much politics and favoritism when it comes to promotions.
    Company managers and supervisors will lie to your face and will also ask you to lie to clients when it comes to internal issues.
    Internal structure and original business model is collapsing.
    Company went public last summer and has since spiraled in every aspect.
    Company will tell you there's a set schedule, but depending on the need, will expect you to work overtime without warning.
    Everyone is overworked and unhappy - employee morale has been down since the company went public.
    Company does not do enough to show appreciation for employees.
    Certain managers are snakes and the company will not improve til they're eradicated.
    What they tell you about the job doesn't come near to the amount of work they will give you.
    The training is terrible because the trainers have never been in the positions they're teaching.
    Supervisors and managers will not step in to help with the workload becomes too large.
    Paycom constantly develops their system but doesn't do it well. They do it fast to satisfy customer needs but, in turn, they create glitches in other areas that cause more issues for clients.
    Internal communication is lacking.
    Paycom is not concerned with you. They are concerned with how much money you can make them.
    Expectations are unrealistic and they induce fear in you when you feel like you can't perform.
    The culture is almost creepy. They hire 20 somethings that don't know anything about the industry and then treat them how they want.

Advice to Management

Decrease the workload across the board, stop being so concerned with revenue, and eradicate the tyrannical managers that demand more work and show no appreciation. Employees need to know they're appreciated and people do not need to be worked to death. Get with some staffing agencies and hire temps when needed. Hire a consultant to help the company improve. The workload and expectations are completely unrealistic. Return to your roots before the company went public and maybe you'll have a chance. Even then, the place was ridiculous before going public. I will never recommend this place to anyone.

Feb 23, 2015 – Representative

Thank you for your time at Paycom. During your tenure with us, you experienced a number of new process and product developments. These have helped us deliver cutting-edge HR technology products to ... More

"Account Executive-Sales"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Training program and pretty much nothing else. I`d pay the salary back to the company to erase this experience.

Cons

70 hour work weeks, jobs threatened daily, no support on tax packet or implementation of things you sell, clients and job seekers beware!

Advice to Management

Stop treating your young work force that they are disposable! Stop using fear to motivate.

"Outside Sales"

Pros

Training was good. Jeff York is the best salesman I have ever met. That's probably it.

Cons

What I find hilarious about all these reviews is that Paycom requires their employees to write these. The ultimate kool-aid drinking shop. Here's the truth about Paycom - unrealistic expectations, a very average product and insane micromanagement. I worked at Paycom and know these to be true. In fact, 10 out of the 11 people in my training class no longer work there.

They are constantly applying pressure that comes from upper management and the sales cycle can last for months. They brag about the commission structure, but the reality is that 10-12% of a deal really is not that much.

They also give you terrible benefits. 5 PTO days? LOL! Call that work/life balance?

and let's be real. Selling payroll and having to learn the ins and outs of that industry is awful.

Advice to Management

Let your employees enjoy their lives a little bit.

May 4, 2015 – Representative

We agree, Jeff is amazing and is indicative of the work ethic and people that we employ. All employee reviews are 100% voluntary. We follow Glassdoor’s best practices and ask that our employees tell ... More

"COBRA Specialist"

Former Employee - COBRA Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - COBRA Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coffee is delicious. Location is good.other than that, not a whole lot

Cons

Management is terrible. Turnover is super high and they have HR people come on here to do reviews so they can look better.

Advice to Management

Hire better quality people and listen to your employees when they have complaints instead of just replacing them.

May 4, 2015 – Representative

Thanks for your feedback. Your comments have been sent to members of our senior leadership team. Paycom does conduct periodic employee and management reviews, because we believe candid feedback is ... More

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training-there is a lot of on going national training.
    They spend a lot of money on their employees.

Cons

-Management
    -PTO-5 days the first year and it bumps to 10 the second year. It was frowned upon to actually use PTO days though.
    -micro-manage their employees to the extreme. they keep a tight leash on all employees.

Advice to Management

Managers need training, too....I kept telling myself that she was new, but it never got better. She was always late, inconsistent, and disengaged. If you tried to speak to her about it, she would write you up. It's embarrassing. There is no such thing as collaboration at that particular office.

Jun 11, 2015 – Representative

As you discussed in your pros, training is huge priority and we place major emphasis on training new hires all the way to our regional managers. Everyone is involved in on-going training courses as ... More

"Cult-Like"

I worked at Paycom full-time

Pros

Everyone here is in their 20s and hadn't experienced other companies, so things like cold catered lunches and meetings where they keep reminding you how lucky you are to work there, make you think you've hit the mother load. It's really awful and a very immature company. Maybe in 15 years they will have it together. And their turnover is horrible because of it.

Cons

Insufficient training, TLs who get positions based on friendship, not knowledge, they cover up mistakes, and want to keep employees in their positions by not extending knowledge past "Paycom's way"

Advice to Management

Grow up. Also, help employees learn and grow in careers, not just in ways according to Paycom. They will extend their loyalty.

"Overall an okay place to work"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cheap benefits, catered lunches, good environment.

Cons

There is no room for advancement in an admin position in some departments. No real structure or job path for that position. More work and responsibility is given to you but no incentive or raise goes along with that, unlike specialists who receive raises when they reach certain goals on a clear job path.

Advice to Management

There is more to running a company than revenue. Respect your employees.

Jul 20, 2015 – Representative

We are sorry to hear of your experience. A number of our admins have take the opportunity to interview for various positions within the company and, as a result, have taken on new roles. In fact, we ... More