Paycom Reviews | Glassdoor

Paycom Reviews

Updated June 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • They always bring catered lunches from good restaurants for lunch that cost only (in 32 reviews)

• She would always push me and notice the hard work that I put into this position (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is a struggle (in 48 reviews)

• However they reward you for the hard work ethic (in 27 reviews)

"Might as well call this place PayCon."

Current Employee - Outside B2B Software Sales in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Outside B2B Software Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees steal sales from one another.

Cons

You're promised high pay, but you don't get it.

Advice to Management

You need new staff.

Jan 14, 2015 – Representative

We are sorry to hear you’re less than pleased. Our sales organization has protected territories and we are concerned to hear of your experience. In order to ensure this doesn’t happen, we encourage ... More

"DON't DO IT!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are right of college and can't find anything better, it will put food on the table until you can.

Cons

It was the WORST job and experience i've had! The training for sales isn't that bad, but there is essentially no product training. I left a sales job making $100K because I wanted another challenge and it this seemed very promising long term. At the end of the day you're selling payroll, but they make you believe you're changing the world somehow. It is 100% turn and burn, a VERY long process to actually make a sale, and every company you are calling has been called 5 times already that day by a payroll company. I wasn't a slacker, I was well over my quota when I left, and thank GOD I did. There were 12 people in my training class about 18 months ago, none of them are still there!!! DON'T LISTEN TO THE RECRUITERS WRITING REVIEWS ON HERE!!!

Feb 13, 2015 – Representative

We’re sorry to read of your experience and hope you are able to find a challenging career that fits you better. As you can see by our previous responses, we do not shy away from the fact that being a ... More

"It's not what it seems...the benefits do not outweigh the stresses."

Former Employee - Paycom Specialist (Payroll Specialist) in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Paycom Specialist (Payroll Specialist) in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay if you need it and can handle a ton of stress.
    Benefits are pretty good.
    Occasional company functions that can be fun.
    Free to use fitness center.

Cons

Positions are too robust, too much responsibility.
    Very high turnover rate and staffing issues.
    The system changes so much that you have no help and no support from IT and managers when you need it.
    Company is concerned with growth and revenue and not their employees.
    Too much politics and favoritism when it comes to promotions.
    Company managers and supervisors will lie to your face and will also ask you to lie to clients when it comes to internal issues.
    Internal structure and original business model is collapsing.
    Company went public last summer and has since spiraled in every aspect.
    Company will tell you there's a set schedule, but depending on the need, will expect you to work overtime without warning.
    Everyone is overworked and unhappy - employee morale has been down since the company went public.
    Company does not do enough to show appreciation for employees.
    Certain managers are snakes and the company will not improve til they're eradicated.
    What they tell you about the job doesn't come near to the amount of work they will give you.
    The training is terrible because the trainers have never been in the positions they're teaching.
    Supervisors and managers will not step in to help with the workload becomes too large.
    Paycom constantly develops their system but doesn't do it well. They do it fast to satisfy customer needs but, in turn, they create glitches in other areas that cause more issues for clients.
    Internal communication is lacking.
    Paycom is not concerned with you. They are concerned with how much money you can make them.
    Expectations are unrealistic and they induce fear in you when you feel like you can't perform.
    The culture is almost creepy. They hire 20 somethings that don't know anything about the industry and then treat them how they want.

Advice to Management

Decrease the workload across the board, stop being so concerned with revenue, and eradicate the tyrannical managers that demand more work and show no appreciation. Employees need to know they're appreciated and people do not need to be worked to death. Get with some staffing agencies and hire temps when needed. Hire a consultant to help the company improve. The workload and expectations are completely unrealistic. Return to your roots before the company went public and maybe you'll have a chance. Even then, the place was ridiculous before going public. I will never recommend this place to anyone.

Feb 23, 2015 – Representative

Thank you for your time at Paycom. During your tenure with us, you experienced a number of new process and product developments. These have helped us deliver cutting-edge HR technology products to ... More

"Account Executive-Sales"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Training program and pretty much nothing else. I`d pay the salary back to the company to erase this experience.

Cons

70 hour work weeks, jobs threatened daily, no support on tax packet or implementation of things you sell, clients and job seekers beware!

Advice to Management

Stop treating your young work force that they are disposable! Stop using fear to motivate.

"Outside Sales"

Pros

Training was good. Jeff York is the best salesman I have ever met. That's probably it.

Cons

What I find hilarious about all these reviews is that Paycom requires their employees to write these. The ultimate kool-aid drinking shop. Here's the truth about Paycom - unrealistic expectations, a very average product and insane micromanagement. I worked at Paycom and know these to be true. In fact, 10 out of the 11 people in my training class no longer work there.

They are constantly applying pressure that comes from upper management and the sales cycle can last for months. They brag about the commission structure, but the reality is that 10-12% of a deal really is not that much.

They also give you terrible benefits. 5 PTO days? LOL! Call that work/life balance?

and let's be real. Selling payroll and having to learn the ins and outs of that industry is awful.

Advice to Management

Let your employees enjoy their lives a little bit.

May 4, 2015 – Representative

We agree, Jeff is amazing and is indicative of the work ethic and people that we employ. All employee reviews are 100% voluntary. We follow Glassdoor’s best practices and ask that our employees tell ... More

"COBRA Specialist"

Former Employee - COBRA Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - COBRA Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coffee is delicious. Location is good.other than that, not a whole lot

Cons

Management is terrible. Turnover is super high and they have HR people come on here to do reviews so they can look better.

Advice to Management

Hire better quality people and listen to your employees when they have complaints instead of just replacing them.

May 4, 2015 – Representative

Thanks for your feedback. Your comments have been sent to members of our senior leadership team. Paycom does conduct periodic employee and management reviews, because we believe candid feedback is ... More

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training-there is a lot of on going national training.
    They spend a lot of money on their employees.

Cons

-Management
    -PTO-5 days the first year and it bumps to 10 the second year. It was frowned upon to actually use PTO days though.
    -micro-manage their employees to the extreme. they keep a tight leash on all employees.

Advice to Management

Managers need training, too....I kept telling myself that she was new, but it never got better. She was always late, inconsistent, and disengaged. If you tried to speak to her about it, she would write you up. It's embarrassing. There is no such thing as collaboration at that particular office.

Jun 11, 2015 – Representative

As you discussed in your pros, training is huge priority and we place major emphasis on training new hires all the way to our regional managers. Everyone is involved in on-going training courses as ... More

"Cult-Like"

I worked at Paycom full-time

Pros

Everyone here is in their 20s and hadn't experienced other companies, so things like cold catered lunches and meetings where they keep reminding you how lucky you are to work there, make you think you've hit the mother load. It's really awful and a very immature company. Maybe in 15 years they will have it together. And their turnover is horrible because of it.

Cons

Insufficient training, TLs who get positions based on friendship, not knowledge, they cover up mistakes, and want to keep employees in their positions by not extending knowledge past "Paycom's way"

Advice to Management

Grow up. Also, help employees learn and grow in careers, not just in ways according to Paycom. They will extend their loyalty.

"Overall an okay place to work"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cheap benefits, catered lunches, good environment.

Cons

There is no room for advancement in an admin position in some departments. No real structure or job path for that position. More work and responsibility is given to you but no incentive or raise goes along with that, unlike specialists who receive raises when they reach certain goals on a clear job path.

Advice to Management

There is more to running a company than revenue. Respect your employees.

Jul 20, 2015 – Representative

We are sorry to hear of your experience. A number of our admins have take the opportunity to interview for various positions within the company and, as a result, have taken on new roles. In fact, we ... More

"Did we work For The Same Company?"

I worked at Paycom full-time

Pros

- Most of my colleagues were genuinely good people.
    - The product is superior to ADP, Paychex and Ceridian
    - Work hard party hard mentality is fun...for a while.

Cons

- A 50K base is not unusual. If you think this is amazing, you just don't know any better.
    - Commission structure is incredibly weak. 10% of 1st year revenue is pretty darn pathetic when you consider how much recurring income Paycom receives. My biggest deal was about 130K and for that I received a little over 10K in income after taxes.
    - They make you write a Glassdoor reviews when you are new (hence all the awesome reviews)
    - Phone canvassing = calling the same people from the same list of companies in your territory twice a week for 8 hours trying to set up appointments.
    - Generally speaking HR Managers and payroll admins just want to avoid doing the extra work of a payroll implementation. They really don't want to meet with you.
    - Payroll implementations are done by minimally supported untrained sales reps with very little experience.
    - Attrition rate has to be close to 90%.
    - They will actually tell you that work life balance is for losers who don't want to succeed.
    - Aggressive recruiting tactics, they've got to keep up with attrition.
    - Middle management is a joke.

Aug 11, 2015 – Representative

We take great pride in our people and software, as such, we appreciate you telling others about our product. At Paycom, we reward hard work. Our sales reps' commission grows with their life-to-date ... More