Paycom Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is a struggle (in 50 reviews)

• However they reward you for the hard work ethic (in 27 reviews)

"This could have been so great!"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sometimes work is very interesting, client centered problem solving.

Cons

The company is trying to develop and serve clients at the same time. The do not have institutional knowledge because of rapid turnover. Despite what they want the world to read!

They actually make new employees write glowing reviews!

Advice to Management

Get your product organized. Make sure you can deliver. Hire a knowledge group that has worked for more than a year..sad but true. A year is a lot at Paycom! And let employees and customers know what is coming and ask for input. Customer frustration is so high! Paycome just can deliver a total solution. Yet. Maybe they can but Mr. Richardson needs to delegate more to the people working in sales and transition.

Sep 10, 2015 – Representative

Innovation is the name of the game at Paycom and we are lucky that our employees are engaged and actively looking for ways to enhance all that we have to offer, both as a leading HR and payroll... More

"Over worked and under paid"

Former Employee - Team Support Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Team Support Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Crappy $4 lunches that are hyped up way too much.

Cons

Unmanageable workload, favoritism, sexual harassment, promotions to undeserving employees who majored in kissing up.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate your team leaders and supervisors! Promote those who perform at a high level, as opposed to those that are favored. Worst experience ever!

Sep 24, 2015 – Representative

We take sexual harassment claims very serious and encourage you to please reach out to a member of our HR team so we can look into the matter further. At Paycom, we have developed leveling-up metrics... More

"Unethical Workplace / Highschool environment"

Former Employee - Former Senior Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Former Senior Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, Year end Party and culture.

Cons

PSD leadership lacks sophistication, bad politics and Highschool atmosphere.

Advice to Management

The only way to get promoted would be if you are friends with management on a personal level and if your extremely manipulative. The fact that you don't have to have knowledge of the products but be as artificial/robot to get noticed. This place use to be a great place to work years ago. The leadership in PSD would need to be improved and by that I mean replaced in order for better employee and customer retention. The CEO is great but I'm 100% sure he is unaware of the poor leadership and juvenile behavior that is in the PSD department. There's a TL that is having a personal relationship with a specialist. The same TL has made comments in regards to Boss survey reviews by saying "remember who promotes you to the next level" which is EXTREMELY INAPPROPRIATE to threaten and control a group with those disgusting words. This company will fall slowly but surely if things aren't addressed soon. Please pay attention to the employee surveys and complaints to the HR department.

Nov 20, 2015 – Representative

We pay close attention to our employee survey and appreciate your bringing this to our attention. This has been addressed and actions have been taken to ensure incidents like these are mitigated in... More

"Glad I'm Out"

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have a future hear... no, you really don't. There aren't really any plush sides to this job that other companies don't already do and do better.

Cons

A few people do well there. Most just burn out like a match or see it for the meat grinder it is and move on. I'd recommend thinking really long and hard before you accept any position with this company. It's very rare to find someone with more than a few years in at this company and there are very good reasons for that.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice to pass on.

Feb 2, 2016 – Representative

Providing our employees with professional growth opportunities is core to our culture. We give them the ability to expand their careers by offering professional and personal trainings, leveling-up... More

"A Dream At First"

Former Employee - New Client Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - New Client Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was really excited about the $1 a paycheck insurance until I realized they didn't cover my husband or children at all. That would be entirely out of pocket. The friendly people were good but really most jobs have that. The gym wasn't bad, if small, but they were making it bigger when I left.

Cons

You may notice I didn't talk about the actual job. Mainly because it wasn't very good. Not much training, I heard some departments didn't even GET training specific to their job, and leadership is sporadic. A lot of the team leads are fresh out of college and had only been at the company for a year or so before getting bumped up. Some handled it well. Most just muddled along. I'd have a one-on-one with my lead and I was running it most of the time as they didn't know how to give feedback or insight. I don't recommend the place even as a resume filler straight out of school.

Advice to Management

Read the above and think on it.

Feb 12, 2016 – Representative

We are very proud of the training that we provide our employees. We not only offer detailed product training for all customer facing employees, but we also offer professional and personal training to... More

"There's worse jobs out there"

Current Employee - Worker in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Worker in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As the title says, there's worse jobs out there. At least this one has the $1 insurance. It's not worth it though. Read on.

Cons

Ever wonder why Paycom is ALWAYS hiring? They say growth and there's some truth there but it's also massive turn over. I noticed since I started, not that long ago as professional jobs go, hardly anyone's names stayed the same with groups I communicate with. It was constantly a stream of fresh new faces as the last group got ground up. It was like this for almost every department.

I regularly see people break down in tears. Lots of stress, little training, middling middle management and micromanagement tends to do that to people.

The catered lunches? Won't last, at least as they are. The caterers are already cutting corners to feed people. The food quality has dropped immensely in the time I've been there.

Big year end party? It's a blast but again, can't last. Company is getting big and the expense is growing. With them being publicly traded, it'll be the first thing cut when money troubles hit.

Finally, that huge growth? There's no way it's sustainable. They'll continue to grow, I don't doubt it, but not at the explosive rate they have. Stock market agrees with me. The stock has lost 37% value in the last quarter.

So, work here? If you're desperate for work i would (I do!). But plan your exit strategy before it eats you alive.

Advice to Management

Train your middle management better. Working on quality over quantity.

Feb 12, 2016 – Representative

We are proud of our employee retention numbers as they are some of the best in the business. At Paycom, we are experiencing high growth, resulting in new opportunities for our employees, not turnover... More

"Terrible Management"

I worked at Paycom full-time

Pros

The best part of my experience at Paycom was having the opportunity to be trained by the infamous Jeff York, Chief Sales Officer. Jeff is so incredibly passionate about Paycom and preparing people for success. I really appreciate him sharing personal experiences, and putting his all in to training the employees during the on-site training in Oklahoma.

Cons

I'm sad to say the cons outweigh the pros. I was very thrilled to start a career at Paycom, only to then go through a very immature training program. We were treated and spoken to like young children, and in my eyes that only sets up your employees for failure. If you are training individuals to be sales executives, it would be a good idea to treat them as such. The training itself has a lot of valuable information, which I will note was incredibly insightful and helpful. However, with the lack of management at the office I was in, I felt as though I was not being set up for success. The only thing that made my days somewhat enjoyable were the others in my office who blasted music just to get through the day.

Advice to Management

Start listening to your employees, and create a more of an open door policy. You might learn what it is that is making them happy and unhappy so that you can making changes prior to losing out on incredible sales individuals so quickly. I was initially told this company had a high turnover rate, which I chose to ignore when applying. I can now understand why.

Feb 12, 2016 – Representative

Our employees’ feedback is paramount to our success and one of the reasons why we place such an emphasis on our employee survey results. Every survey is meticulously reviewed by members of our senior... More

"Don't do it."

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

⊕ Management is nice… to your face
    ⊕ Growing company so room to move up, if you know the right people
    ⊕ $4 lunches, but not really worth it, I normally have to go out
    ⊕ Friendly co-workers
    ⊕ Always hiring (hmm… maybe there is a reason?)
    ⊕ Many learning opportunities
    ⊕ Year End Party (party they throw to reward for going through year end)
    ⊕ Stock Purchase Plan- READ THE FINE PRINT
    ⊕ 401k – this isn’t vested until you have served two years
    ⊕ $1 SINGLE PERSON health coverage, goes up to about $160 a pay period (higher copays though)
    ⊕ Reasonably large desk space
    ⊕ Paycom “swag” like t-shirts, pens, back massagers, Tupperware, other stuff you will never use
    ⊕ Good stepping stone job to put on your resume, but you won’t want to stay long.
    ⊕ Plenty of overtime and opportunity to work on the weekends for PSD Department
    ⊕ If you are well liked, it takes a LOT to get fired from here
    ⊕ Free coffee? Soda fountain on Fridays

Cons

⊗ Management may act like you are doing well to your face, but really talk about you negatively and personally behind you back.
    ⊗ You may be led to believe that what is said in one on ones with your supervisor or team leader are confidential, but it is not. Even personal issues you are having or non-work related issues.
    ⊗ Upper management and C level executives are absolutely oblivious to the issues, because when they are brought to a supervisor, it never goes any further. They don’t want to look bad.
    ⊗ Supervisors will go above and beyond to try to keep a person that they have a personal, outside of work relationship with, or long relationship with. However, if you are not a favorite you will be kicked to the curb without warning.
    ⊗ Growing company that has tons of inexperience. Not just on the specialist or TSS level, but the management level as well.
    ⊗ High-school-esque work environment in the PSD department.
    ⊗ Be prepared to be verbally attacked personally and nothing be done to the person that did it, even after talking to management.
    ⊗ If management is not fond of you be prepared to stay in your current position as long as you work there. They will not approve transfers to other departments either.
    ⊗ When hired, you are told there is a raise every 90 days, and that is not true for any position other than specialist, where you have to complete a series of tasks. Otherwise it is once a year with a cap of 4%.
    ⊗ One week each of sick and vacation given, along with 2 “Personal Days”.
    ⊗ No option for bereavement. You use the precious little vacation you get or leave without pay and get written up.
    ⊗ Little compensation for the workload. The pay is worth about half of what you are doing. Especially while in a non-client facing position. When asked, the management response about this is “It should be a stepping stone position, not a permanent one”, even though you can’t move up without their approval. Don’t count on it.
    ⊗ The $4 catered lunches are awful. Most taste terrible and they do not give you a reasonable serving. I would rather pay $10 for a bologna sandwich.
    ⊗ Always hiring, so no one knows what they are doing because the seniored employees quit.
    ⊗ Always adding new products or new requirements for the employees to learn and become experts at. As of this moment there are 39 products the Paycom Specialist is supposed to be an expert at, not including the system itself and the programs as well.
    ⊗ No bonuses. Nothing. At all. No Christmas bonus. Not a dime. Nothing. You get the year end party! Hey that makes up for it! No. A drunken conglomerate is not something I would rather have than a bonus.
    ⊗ Paycom is a self-insured company. Co-pays on insurance are higher.
    ⊗ Programs on the back end are archaic. Like Windows 98 kind of stuff.
    ⊗ Horrible work life balance. You will not work 8-5. Plan on weekends at Paycom, nights, early mornings. If you do get off at a decent hour your supervisor or team leader is texting you about issues. It consumes your life.
    ⊗ You will make friends here, but that is only because you don’t have time for any of your other friends. When you spend up to 14 hours with someone you find something in common eventually.
    ⊗ No one takes the job seriously. Rather than focusing on work, they would rather focus on whatever drama they can stir up. Instead of taking care of customers, phones go on DND to talk about inappropriate subjects.
    ⊗ HR does not support any objections against managers that you have a problem with, because they are friends with them too. Whoever complains disappears.
    ⊗ Honest reviews on Glassdoor are hunted like a Salem witch and the people magically are gone one day.
    ⊗ Employees feel they should go to Glassdoor instead of going to management, because it feels safer to risk it than go to the management.

Advice to Management

Stop keeping your head in the clouds. I know you are busy, but there is a war going on down here. It is the fight of retention. You are going to lose every one of your truly good and hardworking employees because of something easily fixed. Go through with a fine toothed comb and find the trouble makers. Conduct interviews. When someone comes to you with a problem with someone in upper management, don’t fire them. LISTEN. LISTEN to what we are telling you. We keep getting told that the company is growing so much. Build trust with your employees. We are told revenue is growing so much. Reward your people for that. Give a bonus, or a pay raise. You have to SHOW your appreciation. Not just say it. Instead, we are “rewarded” with longer work hours, increased client load, increased work load, increased stress, decreased help, and the feeling that we are disposable. I personally had a supervisor tell me that an entire team can just leave if they were not happy. If Paycom bends backwards to save a client who gives them a few thousand dollars, why don’t they do the same to specialists, TSSs, TEAM LEADERS? Those people’s experience should be worth millions to you. Treat them like it. If Paycom retained more people you wouldn’t be in as big of a pickle with staffing! Thinking of the PSD floor, you would be hard pressed to find a specialist that has been here for more than a year that isn’t in Ultra Care! The company is getting worse and worse. It is not the same as when I started, when people actually cared for the employees and the clients. Now no one cares for either, and it is very noticeable.
    Listen to employee surveys. We tell you, we just don’t see the change, and don’t say, what about the healthy meal option? because that doesn’t count. Both meals taste like my life at Paycom: cold, miserable, mushy, and salted with tears.

"Paycom thinks they're the best thing to happen to the world but need a serious reality check."

I worked at Paycom (Less than a year)

Pros

I wouldn't say there's any pros. Training is okay but feels like high school, very cliquey and judgmental. You can move up eventually depending on how much you kiss up, but only if you're willing to put in 12 hour days with no time for self or family....but that's the thing....no one wants to be there after they realize how fake everyone is and how terrible the work is. Everyone complains about it and is looking for a way out which is why turnover is through the roof. They don't trust you or respect you as a professional adult which is why you will me micromanaged to the core, and the stress will drive you insane.

Cons

If you're not fake, completely clueless, or willing to be a puppet, don't even bother applying. It doesn't matter how talented, driven, or successful you are in previous roles!! You have to be willing to give up a part of yourself to be what they want you to be, a robot who annoys clients constantly to try to beg them to buy the products. (Which clients are infuriated with on a daily basis). They make you go through an extremely unnecessarily long and intruding interview process to try to make you feel like it's soooo selective and you're a "chosen one" and lucky they even gave you a chance to be one of them. What a joke!

Advice to Management

You need a serious reevaluation of yourself, your morals, ethical standards, and hiring process. Stop running your company like a high school cheer squad.

Apr 6, 2016 – Representative

We look for individuals with a growth mindset, meaning they are constantly looking for growth opportunities, both personally and professionally. Paycom offers a platform for those with a strong drive... More

"Wow. Sold beachfront property in Utah."

Current Employee - Client Relations Representative
    Current Employee - Client Relations Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some nice coworkers. Thorough interview process.

Cons

Hours are supposedly 8-5 but everyone works roughly 60-80 a week exempt not by choice. Micromanagement is an understatement. Will pay $25 a month cell phone when you are in the field 85% of the week. Unrealistic expectations. Horrible management with no managerial training just a great promotion from selling. Everyone is overworked and too tired. ZERO work/life balance unless you consider working with your coworkers your personal life.

Advice to Management

Set realistic expectations for people, understand your reps territory and that not all rules will work in every setting. When hired tell them EXACTLY what is going on DAY 1. Have managers go thru manager training as the one I was with was gossiping with coworkers just the same. Zero respect or trust for a manager who does that. I quit after a month and nobody even acknowledged or asked any questions to understand what had happened.

Apr 6, 2016 – Representative

At Paycom, we look for individuals with a growth mindset, meaning they are constantly looking for growth opportunities, both personally and professionally. When times get hard, our employees with... More