Paycom Reviews | Glassdoor

Paycom Reviews

Updated February 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • PTO first year, work life balance (in 42 reviews)

• This job involves hard work - especially while you are in training (in 25 reviews)

"Don't Belive the "Paycom is the best thing to ever happen to my life lies""

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

The bathroom had 2-ply toilet paper

Cons

Even the Kool-Aid man wouldn't believe some of these reviews. People at Paycom are encouraged to go onto Glassdoor and write positive reviews about the company. Working for Paycom was one of the most oppressive experiences that I've ever had. It's like entering North Korea everyday and bowing down to a cult of personality such as Kim Jong Un however that person would just happen to be Chad. People at Paycom are TERRIFIED that they could lose their jobs at any moment even if you're at plan (which I was) for saying the wrong thing or making the wrong person off. Sales managers are abusive and narcissistic that only care about their own paycheck. My sales manager would want to go to appointments with me only to sit there in the meeting the entire time and play with his phone in the middle of a sales presentation. There is a TON of favoritism at Paycom and if you don't fall into one of their cliques then you're screwed. Don't believe me? Go on their website and look at their "Paycom Prom" pictures. You will experience stress - all the time. There is no work life balance. I've seen numerous times where people were reprimanded in front of the entire office with f bomb's and personal insults associated. Don't believe when you read the Paycom reply that they care about situations like this - if they did that person would be long gone years ago and he's still there. They churn through sales reps and successful ones either move to other cities to manage, live out of a suitcase and sell nationally or are fired. Your choice.

Advice to Management

You've developed a terrible reputation out on the street to your referral partners and clients. Someone said earlier on here that you aren't Google and you aren't Apple and it's 100% true.

Dec 22, 2016 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for the frank and candid review. We definitely care about employee feedback. This is evident as we provide employees options to voice their concerns, including an anonymous employee hotline ... More

"The best place to work"

Current Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coming from a completely different professional world to payroll and HR, Paycom goes above and beyond to provide you with world class training that you feel like you have been doing this your whole life! The atmosphere is amazing and everyone here is so nice and willing to help you grow personally AND professionally!

Cons

There are no cons to this job at all! This place is just pure amazing! Everyone loves their job and it reflects to everything!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Nov 22, 2016 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review to share your experience!

"Sales Representative"

Pros

Awesome environment, love the employees, like my managers and the overall culture of the company. Definitely a good place to work!

Cons

Hard environment, very competitive, you will work your butt off, but the payoff is there.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great culture, help grow the employees. There is not much I would say is bad.

Nov 16, 2016 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for sharing your feedback!

"Best company I've worked for"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits, great environment, growth opportunity.

Cons

I have found none so far

Nov 11, 2016 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for the review! We look forward to a great future together.

"Amazing growth opportunity"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fortitude and self-discipline, these are both qualities that you need to have to be successful at this organization. The training regiment in place and the tools that you have access to throughout your career are amazing and they are second to none.I would not trade it for the world

Cons

I have no cons with this company. When you put in the work you will reap the benefits 10 fold

Advice to Management

Continue being amazing. I love how inspirational management is. They understand that success is built on a collaborative effort.

Nov 8, 2016 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for the generous review! We appreciate your feedback and the opportunity to grow together.

"Excellent environment!"

Current Employee - Communication Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Communication Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The team-oriented environment at Paycom has blown me away! Everyone is friendly and supportive, which makes it a fun place to work. The benefits and amenities are fantastic.

Cons

Parking is frustrating, but they're constructing a new garage to address the issue.

Nov 2, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others!

"Executive Sales Representative"

I worked at Paycom full-time

Pros

-Training is great
    -You can make 200k+ in your second year and on (first year you don't get much commission, don't be fooled)
    -Great experience for an entry level sales job
    -You work with cool young people.

Cons

-Extreme micromanaging (borderline, no not borderline, it is abusive)
    -You can be fired at any moment. 0% job security
    -No work/life balance. You are working 8-12 hour days with no time off.
    -Cold calling boiler room style (this might not be a con if you enjoy cold calling)
    -My training class started with 20 reps, 12 months later 4 reps remained at Paycom and 2 out of the 4 were job searching

Advice to Management

Paycom is a great organization, just not for me. My advice is to be more honest during the interview process about how grueling it is in sales. Sales Leadership is inappropriate, unprofessional, and immature but that is a bit inevitable considering it is such a young company.

Nov 8, 2016 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for your feedback. HR technology is a fast and growing business with tremendous opportunity. That being said, we understand that working at Paycom isn’t for everyone and that our rapid ... More

"The truth is . . ."

Former Employee - Executive Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Executive Sales Representative

I worked at Paycom full-time

Pros

Great pay once you reach Exec Rep Status. This has changed recently from starting 350k in business to 500k in business. I think the change is a good thing because deal sizes have increased drastically, and too many un-experienced reps were hitting this milestone withing one or to deals.

Great Benefits ($1 medical for employee only)

Amazing CSO (Jeff) - He is the most inspiring person you will ever meet, and is probably the major reason why people have trouble leaving Paycom.

Good People - Intelligent, well-rounded and friendly co-workers

Cons

I worked for Paycom for just over two years, and I will start by saying that I did well at Paycom. I was bought in early to product, the culture, and the people and as such I sold a lot of business, became an Executive Rep in less than 1 year, and made President's Club in my first full year. I mention that so you understand that this review is not coming from someone who was unable to recognize success within the organization.

Work Environment - There is no such thing as work/life balance here. If you want to be successful you must forgo friends, family, vacation (5 days off per year), etc. If you care more about money than those things than this might actually be a positive for you, however, I prefer to use the money I have made to travel and create memories with friends and family. As a sales rep you not only find and sell business but are also required to set the system up for your clients. I can’t tell you the number of times I sat with and HR/Payroll team running their first payroll until the late evening hours. I have personally seen other reps out until 1 am or 2 am just to get the client to process only to return very early the next morning and correct mistakes. You will be told that you have a TSR (Transition Specialist) to help through the majority of the set-up/training, but that could not be more far from the truth. Yes, there are one or two TSR’s in your office, but it takes an act of God to get help from them (Not because the don’t want to help, but they are so overwhelmed with their work load). My office had 8 reps, and we were each required to sell two deals a month. That is 16 new clients per month spread across two people (TSR’s) in a transition that takes 2+ months. The reality is that you WILL be the person fully transitioning the majority of your clients while still having to maintain your sales and meeting quotas.

Culture – This is the most interesting thing to me. On the surface everyone is pro Paycom, and so happy to be there (at least when someone’s eyes are on them). They all put on a show about how great the company is and how they couldn’t imagine life without Paycom. I have had conversations with the large majority of Executive Reps at my time with Paycom, and behind closed doors they are all so unhappy and complain about ever facet of the job. You always feel as though your job is in jeopardy, and regardless of how well you do the feeling never seems to escape. Reps continue to hang on because they are glued down by the next large commission check heading their way. You must always watch your back because that rep who you think is you best friend is the first person to poach on your territory and lie about some outside relationship they had to get in the door. This is very much a dog-eat-dog environment.

Management – I have had a couple of direct managers at Paycom and my only real complaint is that they don’t tend to spend much time with new reps. Most of their time will be spent with tenured reps (friends) vs. grooming and teaching new talent. I would imagine that is why the turnover rate at Paycom is SO HIGH! This job requires so much skill and knowledge that it is easy for a new un-mentored rep to feel completely lost and abandoned. Outside of that, some of these folks are really great salespeople.

Now, to combat all of the negatives I have mentioned I will say that I am grateful for the opportunity I had with Paycom. In my first year alone, because of large commission checks, I was able to pay off ALL my student debt and put my family in a great place financially. If you are fresh out of college or single and can deal with everything mentioned above I say go for it, but don’t go half-heartedly because you will not survive. You must be all in and give your last breath to Paycom for true success within the organization.

Advice to Management

We are taught to sell on culture, but the culture within Paycom needs some help ASAP. The time has come to provide more support to the sales staff and better segment job responsibilities. The growth of the organization can now and should now support transition teams. Sales people should focus 100% on sales! There is a reason Henry Ford introduced the division of labor to car manufacturing: As demand for his product grew, specialists in each area could more quickly and efficiently come to completion with better results.

Oct 21, 2016 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for your candid review. We believe our culture at Paycom is special, enthusiastic and that we have the best sales reps in the business who strive to meet high standards and continually ... More

"Such a valuable place!"

Pros

Working at Paycom I feel like a very valued and appreciated employee! We are rewarded with amazing benefits, great lunches, fun days, casual Fridays, an on site gym and so much more. I strongly believe that all of these things are provided because they know everyone is a piece to the puzzle of the success Paycom has and they want to show their appreciation for that. People will be more willing to work hard if they are happy and I strongly believe that is the case here!

Cons

The only con I can think of is people who come to work for Paycom because they want to be apart of a fantastic company but are in a position that is not suited for them and do not enjoy it.

Oct 21, 2016 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for your review and insight. We do our best to find the right fit for employees and the organization. We appreciate the hard work and dedication of our employees.

"My Best Investment"

Current Employee - Transition Specialist Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Transition Specialist Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paycom has proven to be the smartest investment in my short, professional career! Not only is the culture amazing, but this is a company that will mutually invest in its employees. I feel valued and supported by my manager and my team, am constantly being challenged and inspired by our product, and have endless growth opportunities. I would never had imagined I would be with such an amazing company at this age, but I am so thankful for it!

Cons

As I mentioned above, this is challenging work. There are great expectations placed on employees; however, the reward is well worth it

Advice to Management

Just as you rely on our clients to improve our product, continue to listen to your employees to improve our processes.

Oct 27, 2016 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for the review! Paycom relies on our employees to provide constructive feedback to grow both our culture and our success.