Paycom Reviews | Glassdoor

Paycom Reviews

Updated October 23, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 1 health insurance, fun activities every year such as the fall party, National Payroll Week and more (in 39 reviews)

• They always bring catered lunches from good restaurants for lunch that cost only (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life-balance is a challenge at Paycom (in 60 reviews)

• However they reward you for the hard work ethic (in 32 reviews)

"Team work is a tragedy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good exposure.
    One can gain a great deal of knowledge and experience.
    They teach you things fast.

Cons

Less understanding and communication between upper management and employees.
    They bury you with loads of work and extremely tight deadlines.
    All this makes you steadily lose interest in the work you do.

Advice to Management

Analyse the tasks properly and assign deadlines accordingly. An easy deadline takes a lot of stress away from an employee.

Apr 6, 2016 – Representative

At Paycom, our leadership team is closely involved with its employees. Our employees are encouraged to meet with executives at any time or join the mentorship program to further leadership knowledge... More

"Experienced people steer clear"

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not much really. The $1 a paycheck insurance is nice but that's more to make up for the low pay they hire a lot of people at and you'll have a hard time taking off to go to the doctor anyway so it's not much of a pro.

Cons

Paycom is another in a long line of companies in the Oklahoma City area that hire inexperienced people in droves, work them as hard as they possibly can and then drop the ones who can't or won't comply to the crazed culture. If you have any real job experience, you won't last long because you'll either quit when you realize the insanity of it all or be fired when you try to make actual change.

Don't work here if you can avoid it. The company loves to joke about being cult like asome a previous reviewer pointed out. They may joke but it's really pretty close to the truth. You'll work long, horrible hours for little real recognition. Example: I worked in a department that finished an incredibly difficult assignment a week early. We all got called to a meeting and they started handing out envelopes. We get excited thinking they were a bonus. Nope. Our bonus was some ice cream. The envelopes were part of a party game.

The whole company is like that. It presents like a serious company but under it all its a company that grew way too fast to meet an IPO deadline and now has lots of inexperienced, and frankly pretty lost, middle management trying to blunder along. Steer clear.

Advice to Management

Growth at the expense of everything else is the philosophy of the cancer cells. Worry more about building a solid and professional foundation before trying to have exponential growth.

May 10, 2016 – Representative

Paycom challenges and stretches its employees, and with those challenges come unlimited opportunities for career growth. Our compensation structure is highly competitive and is in-line or better than... More

"Quitting was the smartest thing I ever did"

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There aren't any good reasons to work here. None of the benefits or pay are worth the unrelenting pain that was working here.

Cons

This is a company that prides itself on conformity in its employees. Don't speak up negatively about anything. Found a problem? Get someone else to report it or you'll be looked at in a bad light. Complain about the almost 20 year old patched up software that runs the most essential part of the company isn't working right and you'll get a lecture about working harder to compensate for it. This company wants to hear ideas but only ideas that make them look good. Dissent is frowned on and is a good way to be shuffled out the door after things get blamed on you.

There is no improvement policy or real training. Have an issue? Better figure it out because your team lead has no clue how to guide improvement and the training department is a joke. I've seen people fired for no good reason except that they seemed to be the ones who spoke out about problems.

The working environment is pretty terrible. The cubes for most departments seat six. However, they usually cram eight or more into them. I've saw twelve at once in them. This wasn't growing pains. They had empty floors in the new building they'd built. They just didn't want to bother with the relocation.

So you're crammed in like sardines, you can't complain about it or anything else because you'll end up getting fired more than likely and you're working with old software and inept management. How do you cope?

Most people treat it like it's an adventure, like it's noble to suffer like this and that it's for the greater good that is Paycom. They'll put on a happy face and only cry when absolutely necessary (no, I'm not exaggerating either). Me, I tried to do the same until I saw them fire eight people at once on a Friday and have them replaced with fresh faces the next Monday all blissfully unaware what awaited them. It was the last straw. I got out fast after that and have never been happier to put a job behind me.

The short of it all: DO NOT WORK HERE AT ALL. It's not worth it.

Advice to Management

None. Nothing I said here was for management. They're happy grinding through people. This is hopefully to warn away others before they make a mistake.

May 10, 2016 – Representative

As a company, we are only as successful as the collective and dedicated energy of our employees. Their feedback is paramount to our success which is why we are constantly listening to our employees... More

"How to Fit In"

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're young and inexperienced, white, and Christian you could do OK here.

Cons

If you're older, have experience in business, are not white, and not a Christian... well I have some bad news for you. You're going to have a tough row to hoe at Paycom.

There's a pretty persistent rumor they steer away from older people in hiring and you'll be hard pressed to find any in most of the management although there's a few over thirty running around. Some of the departments won't hire if you have experience in that field. I was told by someone in the Tax Department that they wouldn't hire people with accounting degrees for fear they'd just use Paycom as a stepping stone and be gone. Better to hire people with no clue and just teach them what little they needed to know.

Not white? You won't be denied anything but the environment is pretty weird. You'll get asked questions by a lot of the suburbanite white kids who are just getting out into the world for the first time and you're like a guidebook for them. I've seen several different Chinese and Vietnamese people get questioned constantly about "their culture" and expected to bring "authentic cuisine" come food day amongst other tone deaf issues. Very little racial diversity as you move up the ladder either. The higher in management you go, the whiter it gets.

It's an evangelical Christian environment as well. If you're not part of that it gets uncomfortable. Like trying to explain why you don't want to decorate your section of the cube with Christmas decorations as an example. Or having to explain your religion to someone because, "Wow, I've never met one of you!"

Don't bother going to your supervisor or HR about any of this either. I tried, I got told that something would be looked into, and nothing ever was to any kind of resolution. Several other people I know had similar experiences. Just all around uncomfortable environment. I'll be happy to turn in my two weeks when I get the chance.

Advice to Management

You're not a small company working out of a garage anymore. You're a publicly traded corporation. Get some better diversity training in here because you're loosing good employees for an entirely preventable reason.

May 10, 2016 – Representative

We appreciate you telling us about your concerns. Please note this has been passed onto members of our senior leadership team including HR. Our organization embraces diversity which is seen... More

"Problematic"

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Once a year the company throws a huge party with an open bar and you can get completely smashed and forget you work for Paycom for an evening.

Cons

The above is only one night a year and getting that hammered the other 364 days of the year to forget about working for Paycom is getting tiresome.

Advice to Management

Either start an Alcoholics Anonymous chapter, get better mental health coverage for us or offer a free bar more often. I'd say improve the company away from micromanagement and offer a better work/life balance but I know you'll think that's just crazy.

May 10, 2016 – Representative

Your review is concerning and we strongly recommend you contact HR. This review is in no way reflective of the culture we have established here at Paycom. Our employees’ health and well-being is of... More

"Some day..."

I worked at Paycom full-time

Pros

None. Nothing. Absolutely zilch. The few things I can think of get overshadowed by the bad.

Cons

Micromanagement. Utter lack of respect for employees as adults. High school feel right down to the cafeteria with cliques, gossip, and the added stress of trying to be a professional, for some, thrown on top.

I'd say you're treated like a galley slave but at least they don't have the people whipping, pushing and abusing them smiling in their face and lying about how much they're valued. The cheerful, forward, radical front they put up us a facade. It's terrible. Go anywhere but here if you value your professionalism, you personal life, and your very sanity.

Advice to Management

Quit treating you're employees like ciphers, lying about it to yourself and them, and actually put in place decent policies. Or ignore this. I don't you'll care enough to change for your workers.

May 10, 2016 – Representative

At Paycom, we respect and value our employees and understand they are paramount to our success. Your concerns are intriguing, and we hope you expressed those during your exit interview. We are a... More

"Playtime at Paycom"

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cheap food! A company party! Sometimes candy if you're a good boy or girl!

Cons

Team Building here consists of your team playing Jenga for half an hour... and being cutthroat about it to win. Don't want to participate and would rather work? You must not be a team player. Fired.

Problem comes up. Better hope you weren't involved in some way even if it was caused by the antique software that runs the backend and the output has to be routinely checked by hand because it can't be trusted to do simple math. Suck it up, apologize for not being a programmer and fixing it along with your other work for free and don't ever, EVER, point out it happened because of something Paycom related. Because if so? Fired.

Don't like living in the office and believe your spouse and family should see you more than the company mandated family holiday (yes, it's real, it's in October and you are limited on family you can bring, so more than one kid and a spouse and you have to pick) or the occasional weekend? Don't speak out against it or you're not a team player. Fired.

Honestly in my time with this company I've seen a lot of people get fired. And it never seems to be because of bad work. It's always the ones who speak their minds and want to actually be business professionals instead of playing along with the idiotic games. I've seen lots of good people just quit first the same reason. It's very much a churn and burn mentality and the turn over rate shows it.

Advice to Management

None. I want to warn others not give you free business advice. The only reason I'm still in this company is because the oil industry is dragging down the Oklahoma economy and making it difficult to find work elsewhere. But trust me, first good offer and it's my two weeks notice. At which point I'll probably be fired.

May 10, 2016 – Representative

Based on your review, it appears you’re quite unhappy at Paycom and we hope you find a place that better meets your needs. We offer a culture of growth and opportunity unlike anywhere else in the... More

"Not Worth the Effort"

Former Employee - Payroll in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Payroll in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They do have cheap insurance for you (and only you), the gym is nice, and I met some nice people while I worked there. However, you can say that about many different places. That doesn't set Paycom out from the pack. Most decent jobs, especially in the company corporate headquarters, have things like this. Unfortunately, what does set them out from the pack is in the Cons.

Cons

What sets Paycom out from the pack, right from the start, is its incredibly archaic policies regarding things like work/life balance, advancement and general corporate culture.

First, time off is done by in separate pools. You have each category like sick, vacation, holiday, and floating time off. That's a lot of stuff to keep track of but it doesn't matter very much because you don't GET very much of it particularly in your first year It would be better to lump it all together and just call it Paid Time Off but again, that's a quibble. The big problem is the lack of allowed time off. You don't have a lot and when you do go to use it, most of the team leads I worked under were very intrusive in wanting to know why I wanted time off. I couldn't just say it was a personal reason, they wanted to know exactly why before they'd approve it. I was shocked. I'd never worked somewhere before were this was considered appropriate. As an example I wanted to take time off to go to the doctor in the morning and meet a plumber at my house in the afternoon. When I finally broke down and told my TL they asked why I couldn't just have my spouse meet the plumber, move my doctor appointment to early in the morning and then only have to take off a few hours instead of the whole day. This wasn't even during the busy part of the year. This was a slow period. I was appalled. I finally got the time but not after having to basically dig my heals in and refuse to compromise on it.

This ties into the general corporate culture as well. The CEO started the company by floating payments between credit cards (this is told to you as part of your orientation), working off a couple of card tables and built the company up from there. There is very much a cult of personality around him and the ingrained sense that one should give up everything to work hard for the company is the attitude going around. This would make sense if all the people doing that were equity holders and would share in the profits and large salaries that come from such a position but they're not. There's a difference between working hard and sacrificing your life for a company. Paycom believes you should come down on the latter.

This figures into advancement as well. Most companies eventually go to a system of internal hiring that involves the people who want the job formally applying for it and then going through interviews. Paycom does not do this. You have to be noticed by the hiring manager and stay on their radar long enough to get moved up. This leads to a very cutthroat environment where people are trying to move up and show leadership and stepping on each other trying to claw up long enough to be noticed. This makes on the job training, about the only kind you get there, iffy as well because if the person training you thinks you might be in competition with them you don't get the best training.

It's not even worth it for experience straight out of school. You won't learn anything that's useful to anyone but Paycom. I understand that coming out of school, particularly if you're in Oklahoma, it can be tough to find work anywhere but be wary of Paycom. They won't hire you in your degree field because they know you'll jump ship once you have a few years in under your belt. So unless you just want some general experience, look elsewhere graduates. You won't even get much useful office software knowledge beyond a few Microsoft products because almost everything they have is custom written by their own programmers and so doesn't apply to other companies.

Experienced people you'll have the same problem but greater because when you go looking for work outside Paycom, it'll almost look like a break in your experience from previous jobs because of how little carries over because of the aforementioned custom software. When I finally started looking after getting tired of the company it was a problem on several different interviews and one I believed kept me from at least one good job before I finally got hired elsewhere.

Finally, the one thing I couldn't abide any longer and what drove me out, was the utter lack of concern for employee feedback. It was a regular request for flex time and better work life balance. It was always addressed but always with a dismissal. Then they'd brag about how they added salads to the lunch menu or something else inane like that. Between the lack of good vacation, the lack of concern for feedback like the above, no paternity leave, advancement by squeaky wheel (in the sense having to be noticed and noticed constantly), and various other issues it didn't surprise me to hear several people talking about forming a union so their concerns would finally be heard. I wish I could have stayed and make something like that a reality, I gave those considering it advice from my own time belonging to a union how to organize and I hope it'll happen, but I have no doubt that Paycom will squash anyone who tries anything useful like that.

So overall, stay out of this company unless you think you can put up with all of the above. It's not worth the time.

Advice to Management

Listen to what your workers are telling you and not just the easy stuff that you know you can do with ease. Do the stuff that might seem a bit harder like better vacation, flex time, and better advancement policies. Otherwise I think you're going to have a real problem on your hands as you try to grow larger,

May 10, 2016 – Representative

Good luck to you in your new career. We have shared your review with members of the senior leadership team and understand that not everyone is a fit at Paycom. We love our employees and are... More

"Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Aside from the base salary there aren't any pros for this positions with this company. Honestly the money was the only decent thing.

Cons

Company culture was young and immature. Lots of young recent graduates who didn't know how to conduct themselves in a professional manner. The management was horrible, they were oblivious and unprofessional 90% of the time. Were more interested in goofing around then providing help and feedback. Lead lists are provided but all they do is try and poach clients from ADP and paycheck's which doesn't end up being successful at all.

Advice to Management

Conduct your office in a more professional manner and change your style of management completely.

May 24, 2016 – Representative

Your attitude and opinions clearly characterize why you are no longer with the company. Good luck to you.

"Fantastic training! Everything else was unbearable!"

Former Employee - CRR
    Former Employee - CRR

I worked at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Multi week training out of HQ in OKC. Free apartment, car, food and groceries stipend, corporate trainer was awesome! Many of the people in HQ and the training classes were great as well.
    - $1 health plan, 401k matching, stock options
    - Entire Sales/CRR department had mid year gatherings at OKC, great to catch up with old classmates and "rivals", amazing hotel, great events and food.

Cons

1st - Work-life balance was non existent. The entire office was definitely under 25 years old and had a Wolf of Wall St. attitude where they came in at 6am and left at 10pm and scowl at you if you left on time or an hour after 6pm. One time I was at a meeting that ended at 5:30 near my train that would take me home but I was told to come back to the office and then leave from there. I never understood where this mentality came from or how it benefited the company. If anything, it made me more miserable to be away from my wife and kids and had a negative effect.

1.5- This connects to the office and company culture. It was weird to receive a weekly devotional email with a quote by Jesus. Office was definitely very young and lacked diversity. This was apparent to me at the mid year company wide gathering in OKC where I can count the diverse hires (in sales/crr) in one hand. It was also strange to be the only person actually born and raised from the city that I worked in while the rest moved from elsewhere. That seemed to happen a lot as well. This created a lack of familiarity and it was difficult for me to fit in.

2nd - Pay would have been great but definitely not worth the 60-80 hour weeks that you will have to put in. In that case, it is way below average. It make sense if you were making this salary in Wisconsin or OKC, but major cities have higher cost of living so it didn't make sense that we all were paid the same.

3rd - You get one week vacation time on your first year. Considering the entire office minus 2-3 people were all first year, I thought it was a complete joke that we worked so much overtime to only get a measly week off. We also did not get many other holidays off that most companies get.

4th - There seems to be high turnover, many of the clients I was given told me that they were seeing new account reps every few months. They also didn't seem too happy with the state of the product. Every single client sans a handful complained about technology that they were sold but later found out it wasn't possible. Sales Reps are definitely over selling.

Conclusion - I was miserable. The lack of diversity, the fraternity/jock like culture, the low pay with high hours, even the multi week training in OKC (no offense, but who wants to be in OKC?), the disgruntled clients, all finally led me to leave and look for other opportunities.

Advice to Management

There is definitely a way to have a successful company and productive employees while still maintaining a work life balance especially as you scale and become more corporate. I understand when startups have to work long hours with low pay in order to succeed but I felt Paycom didn't need that and it was just hindering success. The turnover is definitely apparent and the lack of diversity is clear. It is time to start hiring managers that are from the cities they are based in to create a better culture city by city rather then switching managers around state to state. Training was way too long and could have been shorter, no one wants to be away from their families for that long.

May 24, 2016 – Representative

We hope you feel better now that you have expressed your opinion. We are hiring new employees because we are a high growth organization in need of highly dedicated individuals to help us meet... More