Paycom Reviews | Glassdoor

Paycom Reviews

Updated April 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is a struggle (in 47 reviews)

• This job involves hard work - especially while you are in training (in 26 reviews)

"Work like a horse to get treated like a dog."

Former Employee - Client Relations Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Client Relations Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Paycom (More than a year)

Pros

$1 health insurance is great.

Cons

I have never worked for a company that was so deMeaning and manipulative to their employees. The expectation to work 70+ hours a week is not a joke here. If you don't put Paycom before your family, friends and health - you will get fired.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting top sales producers that are 25 years old to management. Most great sales people aren't great managers.

Jun 22, 2016 – Representative

We are disappointed to hear you feel this way about your role. Working 70-plus hours is not one of our expectations and simply doesn’t add up as that would be equate to a 14-plus hour work day. We do ... More

"Management - think long term not short term"

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Houston, TX

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training + stepping stone.
    For a first job you can make good money.

Cons

Work life balance, not long term career unless you fit the mold (must move where they want, move every few years if successful, never slow down even if you're a top player.... go go go...never gets easier).
    Even their top execs that :
    "Bleed Green" will tell you they want to come Stanly move. Reality is they have kids and want to be there for them but can't unless they lie to upper management and sneak out during field days. It's not a long term career unless you want ro be micromanage and sneak out without them knowing OR be a working horse the rest of your life and take pride in that. There are companies out there that pay better, advance just as good, have a better reputation but you CAN STILL HAVE AN AMAZING LIFE!!!

Advice to Management

Think long term. Yes putting pressure on the short term for "units" is important however that's what landed ADP where they are today. You aren't the gorilla, have always prided yourself on being the little engine that could, so don't lose that.
    Take care of the employees that Bleed Green. I was one of them at one point. But was shorted when personal life got hard for me . Green didn't matter all of a sudden.
    Those are the people that will take you to the top. Have a sales model.. yes....Have rules...yes.. but have common sense too. Your CSO always said you hire smart peoole to teach them a process but more importantly so they can think on their feet (outside the model) ...so live by that. You are in the human capital management business. You should know better that your people make the business and not the process. Don't let the process manage your outcome. If you have people that care and that would do anything for your business don't lose that. ..hold on to them. You have something unique where people truly BELIEVE!!! (maybe it's because you hire right out of college, maybe it's your CSO who is amazing by the way.... maybe it's the fun good looking people... but it is truly influential...like ...a Cult) but when you have that following unlike any other.... YOU DON'T LOSE THAT!!! Dont lose that over one manager's opinion, or "change in culture", or "they didn't make sales quota for 5 months but we're 1st last year" . People go through things in life.... don't let the process take over. Value YOUR LOYAL EMPLOYEES. You are in the human CAPITAL MANAGEMENT industry. Be what you preach!

P.s. Not saying to keep dead weight on... which I'm sure is the response to this message. I'm talking about top performers here. People who have influence in the company, hit amazing quotas, get along great with the culture etc, . But life happens and Paycom turns their back. Paycom has never been accepting of anyone that goes through life..... even managers who hit road blocks (divorce, cancer, or even having a child) they are ...excuse my French "screwed".... Paycom has a process... better ask them what happens if i "have a baby, get sick, someone passes"...better hope life doesn't happen to you)

"Outside sales Account manager"

I worked at Paycom full-time

Pros

good benefits and good people to work with within the company

Cons

Everything else management was horrible pay is bad along with everything else!! STAY AWAY

Advice to Management

don't over promise and under deliver said i was going to make big money in commission but made barley anything and very low salary

Nov 16, 2016 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for your feedback. We offer one of the most generous compensation packages for our sales teams in the business, but we understand that our organization and/or sales are not for everyone. We ... More

"CRR"

Former Employee - CRR
    Former Employee - CRR

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health insurance is cheap, coworkers in the CRR department are amazing, trainings are always fun since you get to see everyone

Cons

Where do I begin.... first of all the positive reviews on here are all either fake or coerced. Who talks about ANY company like that, let alone THIS company or so help me this DEPARTMENT? A few select people I know clearly drank the Kool Aid and feel like this job is the blessing of a lifetime, but me and the majority of the people i have spoken to in my department would beg to differ. I go home every day overworked, unappreciated and unhappy.

Advice to Management

many of your employees are considering leaving - do something or you might lose half the CRR dept

Jun 29, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for your review. We pride ourselves on the quality of people we hire at Paycom and Client Relations Department is no different. We have found that those who are intentional and purposeful ... More

"Not a great culture"

Pros

I honestly dont have any.

Cons

Sexual harassment isn't uncommon in the Paycom Service Department (PSD).

Advice to Management

Get a better handle on the way your employees are treated by low level management.

Jul 1, 2016 – Representative

Paycom takes allegations of workplace harassment extremely seriously. Please call 800-580-4505 at your earliest convenience. When you call, ask to speak to our Human Resources or Legal departments ... More

"What I wish had known before working at Paycom - CRR"

Former Employee - Client Relations Representative
    Former Employee - Client Relations Representative

I worked at Paycom (More than a year)

Pros

- Health insurance was great (at least until they went partially self insured).

Cons

I think the fact that the reviews vary from "horrible and unbearable" to "Amazing and fantastic!" speak for themselves. The overall review for this company is extremely skewed. If a negative review comes through the marketing department sends out a campaign to all employees to go write a good review. Also, if you look closely you can see that anytime there is a bad/negative review on here Paycom responds with this "you weren't  good enough for us" attitude and basically bashes the person writing an honest review. It's extremely immature and, in my opinion, a true representation of the company and its culture. You truly have to drink the kool-aid here no questions asked to even survive. As soon as you question something you become one of their "problem employees" with a "Bad attitude" and to be honest they start the process of internally exiling you in hopes that they can make you miserable enough to quit. Bottom line, Paycom does not care about their employees no matter how much they preach it. Paycom cares about Paycom and they truly don't care how many employees they have to step on, fire, or degrade to get there. This organization is a true churn and burn culture and their turnover rate is outrageous but they will spend a ton of time trying to convince you otherwise. You might be weary of a company that is constantly repeating the same lines over and over again - it's all brainwashing. If you look through the reviews on here the words "brainwashing" and "kool-aid" come up frequently. I highly recommend against joining the Paycom team. Please don't be fooled by what Paycom will post in response to this. They will just make it seem like I am a former disgruntled employee when in fact I was one of their most dedicated employees - until they burned me. I went home ever day feeling degraded, unappriciated, stressed, and miserable. I was just a number to them, and you will be too. The workload is ridiculous and I was easily working 80 hour weeks just to keep up. Even though I was salaried and working until 11pm some nights I was treated like an hourly employee. The worst part of this is that they make you feel like you wouldnt amount to anything if it wasn't for them and that you will go no where if you ever leave.

Advice to Management

You either want a second sales force to upsell current clients, or you want true account managers. You honestly can't have both if you are going to load each CRR with 200+ clients and expect them to sell 24/7 but also take care of all of the clients problems as well. Hire employees and let them work. Stop hiring professional people just to load them down with metrics that make it impossible to actually focus on what is important. And remember that people have families and an outside life other than Paycom.

Jul 15, 2016 – Representative

It is unfortunate that you have this view of Paycom. We pride ourselves on providing our employees with amazing opportunities where they can excel, professionally and personally. Evidence of this can ... More

"Horrible Production Department!"

Pros

Benefits, lunches, gym, happy environment other then downstairs in the basement.

Cons

When you get in a department your stuck, no way of moving, even if you can show that your valuable and have potential to grow with company. Especially when in the production room. Supervisor will put a stop to it. Nobody is taken serious. When you lodge a complaint to your TL it doesn't go farther then the supervisor. Sexual harassment was lodge against a employee twice in one month and HR was never involved or aware of this because the employee was new and a man. Micromanage by TL in the room. While the other TL flirts with every female that walks into the room. Expected to be superhuman to work here. Proof is in your self review if you give yourself a 5 its superhuman, and nobody can be in this company. If you apply don't work for the production room, you have a better chance to grow a career with Paycom.

Advice to Management

My advice to the management, check your production room. Especially the Supervisor. She has a thing against females, she's not supervisor material. She pawns her responsibilities onto the TL, not to mention she allows sexual harassment and harassment in the room. Because she also is sexually harassing the men in the room and harassing other employees. She's a bully in the room. And plays it off to being a "Generation" thing. You need to do a random drug test once in awhile on your TLs also. You might be able to explain why some problems in that room. And tell people to pull their pants up. Nobody wants to see but crack when they are working, and this is by a TL who should no better and when confronted TL and Supervisor just laugh about it like its okay.

Sep 15, 2016 – Representative

Paycom takes all allegations seriously. In fact, we have an established process which provides an anonymous and independent employee helpline to report workplace policy violations and complaints ... More

"Client Relations Representative"

Pros

I'll start this review off by discussing the product itself. Paycom really does have a superior product and everyone who works for Paycom truly believes in it which makes for really motivating trainings, etc.

Cons

My biggest issue with Paycom was the lack of integrity in the reps, managers and even VPs of the company. I was specifically instructed by senior reps and even my manager to flat out lie to clients. Our territory was not doing as well as projected so we were literally telling clients that products had to be purchased as a bundle deal versus buying separately which is 100% BS. The products operate independently, but everyone wanted a bigger sale and bigger commission. Once Paycom started to do layoffs, then honesty and integrity really went out the window. Reps were not only lying about bundling the products, but we're also lying about price. The top reps in the company were selling the products at a 200% premium to clients that could barely keep their doors open. It was just sad. My other con about the company is management. The managers only care about numbers and looking good to the CEO. They are not concerned about retaining the client or their employees.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Do not have your outside sales reps tell new clients that their Client Relations Representatice will be their advocate when clearly our only job is to sepl more products and not resolve any client issues. Also, stop lying to your clients about having to bundle products and pricing. You are going to burn a lot of bridges and lose several clients to ADP and Paychex if you keep it up.

"Lack of Leadership in Paycom / Client Specialist Role"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Great benefits, good culture, lots of free prizes and paycom gear. Not going to lie, they do have some great people and few great leaders in other depts/roles.

Cons

Leadership frowns upon growth when you're in Paycom Specialist role. If you have skills that you can contribute to another dept and that will help them grow even more, they don't encourage it. They tend to put you down rather than motivate you or help you reach your goals especially with Supervisor/TL randomly attacking you in one on one's every week. Numerous times I was personally attacked and mentally harassed by TL; encouraged to pursue other opportunities outside of paycom b/c she felt and judged that my commitment wasn't good enough. One time she said it out loud to the entire team that if you feel like you don't belong here and you're not cut out for this work then maybe Paycom isn't the place for you. I've never heard good leaders speak that way. Also I've never neglected my work, my responsibilities, nor my clients. Client were always happy and I had personally saved 2 of them that wanted to leave Paycom for ADP. Supervisor and TL weren't too happy with my eagerness to grow internally to another dept. TL would randomly take me into a room and question my commitment. Rather than advising me and encouraging me to grow in the role, she suggested that she would rather me pick an opportunity outside of paycom. What kind of a leader does that? If these are the leaders or the kind of leadership they offer, they need better guidance. I mentioned to her several times that my commitment is there and that I want to be goal driven and plugged in with Paycom for long term. Clearly that wasn't good enough either. TL has a lot of personal issues; very judgmental, and was always backed by the supervisor even if it was misleading or a wrong decision at the end of the day. They promote leadership and growth, but don't stand behind it. When issues were taken to senior members of HR, they did not care to find a solution or take action. Favoritism at its finest. I was sick for two days and had a doctors note. I did inform my TL; her advice was that shes sorry that Im not feeling well, but I need to come into work regardless because of their business needs and that I need to approve time-off before hand. How does that work? How do you notify your leader 24 hours prior that you're going to be sick and you need time-off? Also had an eye surgery scheduled for which my TL gave me a hard time and would not allow me to leave work 4 hours early on a Friday to get my surgery. If you get offered for a Paycom/client specialist role, think twice. Many of the new hires that I began with have either quit, put in their two weeks, or are thinking about quitting soon. Their leadership and growth has gone from quantity over quality.

Advice to Management

I was a hardcore advocate for Paycom b/c of their "growth, culture, and leadership." Couldn't have been more excited when I knew I would began for a company that is growing this rapidly. This has been by far the worst experience of my life considering the mental harassment by my supervisor and TL. I hope you can definitely get this taken care of and help improve leadership as it is so hyped up. IF business needs are important, then so are your employee needs such as an eye procedure or medical needs. This isn't my first job out of college. I have a lot of leadership experience as well as good work ethics. I am just disappointed at the fact that leadership did not want to hear my side and jumped to conclusions. Hope this feedback will help you.

Sep 28, 2016 – Sr. Online Community Strategist

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear your experience at Paycom wasn’t what you hoped it would be. Paycom fully supports the career development of all its employees and has established ... More

"This place is a joke"

Former Employee - Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are not really very many pros that I can think of. The 4.00 lunches are ok, but it's still way cheaper to bring your lunch.

Cons

They act like working for them is a privilege and an honor. They demand for most Jobs that you have a degree but these aren't degree caliber positions. The job that I applied for they put me through the ringer for a measly 15.00 am hour. 711 pays more than that. This place is a joke. As much as a BA or BS costs these days, to be offered cat food for compensation would be a insult! 40,000.00 please!

Advice to Management

Your not Google and your not Apple so quit acting like your gods gift to OKC, your basically a glorified telemarketing company.

Oct 21, 2016 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We understand that working at Paycom isn't for everyone, but those who do put in the effort, reap the rewards. Our compensation structure is highly ... More