Paycom Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is a struggle (in 50 reviews)

• However they reward you for the hard work ethic (in 27 reviews)

"Listen to your staff"

Current Employee - PSD in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - PSD in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lunch is cheap, benefits are cheap if you're single , and Compensation is the only thing keeping employees around for the year that people spend here on average before finding a more sane position elsewhere.

Cons

This place will induce daily panic attacks. Constantly micromanaged, they do not give you the tools and training to succeed. Almost every employee is completely burned out, and management is in the dark about day to day processes which leads to people leaving when they finally hit their breaking point. Or worse, you get canned for not hitting all of the impossible expectations.The processes change every two weeks, and the roll outs to the products once a month always break the system. For every development release, the phones goes insane with client calls complaining about said releases and how they do nothing but cause more problems and constant IT tickets. Get it? The clients are frustrated.

Client turnover and specialist turnover should be a sign that something is wrong. The expectation that the management has for the PSD department in particular is outlandish. No one can possibly reach the goals that are set, and we all know that if we hold off on a new process that it will eventually just dissipate. New hires are given clients off the bat, without adequate training which only results in clients that continually ask for someone who knows what they are doing and ultimately results in the clients lack of trust in Paycom. If a client ask for billing information on what they are actually purchasing, you get bombarded about why they need to know that and it can take a week to provide a client with a simple billing agreement. What are we hiding here?

This year end will be the worst one that I have encountered thus far. With the managements inability to lead, the lack of knowledge across all departments, and the CEOs vision of Paycom left in the dust.

I've heard about the days where this really was the best place to work, and yet now I dread working my 45+ hours a week.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. They cannot take much more of this. This isn't growing pains, this is your company feeling as though they have to post anonymously on a third party website to be heard. What happened to when Chad would speak at company meetings? Why are company meetings now going to just be live streamed. Is it because you no longer want to put a face to the employees who work here?

"Garbage place to work"

I worked at Paycom full-time

Pros

-My co-workers were kind and helpful
    -The coffee was strong in the breakroom

Cons

-Cult-like work culture (literally said I needed to "drink the Paycom Kool-aid")
    -Unrealistic expectations for employees
    -They literally can fire you for anything

Advice to Management

Look into improving working conditions for your "lower tier" employees

"I would recommend Paycom!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Paycom full-time

Pros

Paycom is one of the only companies I have worked for that really treats their employees well in all aspects. Compensation is amazing, affordable benefits and the training is awesome. The management in the Cleveland office is very good and they really want their employees to succeed and are willing to assist in anyway possible. Another thing that really attracted me was the future that a rep can have with the company....Stock options, increase in base pay and the commission structure is crazy good. The Cleveland office has a team culture and each rep in the office is willing to stop what their doing to assist new reps get acclimated to the job. The only reason I am not with the company is because I had the opportunity of starting my dream business with family otherwise I would still be at Paycom. I would highly recommend Paycom!

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

I really cannot think of anything, they have done a good job with everything. Keep it up!

Jun 26, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for your review! We wish you success in your future endeavors.

"1st Week"

Current Employee - New Client Setup Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - New Client Setup Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I just finished my first week at Paycom as a New Client Setup Specialist and have enjoyed it so far!

Cons

The amount of information you need to know can be overwhelming at first but should become easier after completing training.

Jul 3, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for the review! We believe in investing in our employees through training. We hope you have a long and successful career with us!

"Paycom, how the mighty have fallen"

Former Employee - Payroll Team Leader in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Payroll Team Leader in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and if you are single the $1 healthcare is nice

Cons

I say Paycom has fallen but in culture and management, clearly not financially. It’s obvious the decisions they are making that are negatively impacting their employees are having quite the positive impact on their stock price. I only know the PSD department so let me be clear my opinion is strictly limited to my experience there. PSD is the one department that could leave Paycom (even for a day or two) and completely crush it, immediately. They support every customer and are the largest department but are definitely the mistreated, overworked, and underappreciated step sister. Yes, that’s a Cinderella reference but you’ll see that this fairytale they try to sell you has a not so happy ending for far too many. So where do I begin?

1. Culture: when I started at Paycom years ago the culture was very strong and the mood was very positive. When you went to work it was fun and you loved your team and your leaders. Those were the days when C-Ray ran the PSD department. They would walk by each cube every day and shake hands and boost the morale with their overall happiness to work at Paycom. Now they are in new departments and it’s like a dark shadow has covered the PSD floor. It’s a place ruled by fear and micro managed with write-ups and frequent terminations. It’s a place where you are required to be off DND for 90% of your day, leaving you 48 minutes away from your desk. That means bathroom breaks, talking to supervisors, or just getting coffee all has to be smashed into 48 minutes per day. A minute over and you guessed it, you get a write up. In the beginning, there was so much promise and now the work load has doubled, if not tripled to the point of no return.
    2. Workload: When I started, each rep handled a fair client load. That was supposed to be a mix of 130 clients with varying difficulty. Typically, you saw 60 Low Maintenance, 40 Medium Maintenance, and 30 High Maintenance clients. Their difficulty was based on the number of products they had and how difficult their contact was to work with. As you can imagine, lower number of products meant lower revenue. So Paycom was making less money on Low’s than on High’s. Here’s where it changed, they shifted focus from low and med clients to almost exclusively high revenue clients. Obviously, that is a smart decision financially because you are getting more for your money. Downside is you need a rep with tenure and experience to handle those clients. Well the company grew so fast they promoted all of those and now it’s a bunch of new people. Now new hires are getting clients, out the gate, that you wouldn't have received for 6-9 months based on your knowledge. Trust me, no matter what training says, they aren’t ready.
    3. Training: A program that in the beginning taught you the basics and let you learn naturally from clients that were low and med maintenance. Now it’s a four-month program that is supposed to make them 100% ready for massive clients with little or no interaction with them. Any tenured specialist will tell you that most of what you do is on the fly. There is no way training could prepare you for every weird scenario that comes through to you. Most of that is because the system is so “Advanced” that it does weird things the programmers didn’t plan. In the real world that’s known as a glitch, bug, or a big freaking problem but not there. It’s expected since they are experiencing unprecedented growth. The system just simply can’t catch up with the demand.
    4. System: Just to give you an idea of how things have spun out of control, tickets tell the story. In 2014, I only submitted around 20 IT tickets, being new I’m sure a few of those were user error but not many. In 2015 I submitted over 100, I had a full client load and some large clients so that’s expected. In 2016, I submitted over 350 tickets. That means that for every day I worked, I encountered on average close to 1.5 problems. In the first three weeks of 2016 I submitted more tickets than all of 2014 combined. 2017 was going to take the record but I have left half way so it's not fair to speculate on how many I would have hit this year. Why so many tickets? The reason is more than obvious internally and we have brought up this point so many times we lost count. They push new products and updates to help sell Paycom and don’t fully test them. The absolute worse time of the year is year end.
    5. Year End: If you are reading this review and deciding whether or not to apply take this advice. Do not join Paycom from Aug-Dec. From Oct-Feb it’s a complete mad house and starting in Aug will mean you get clients during the busiest time of the year which will be a nightmare for you. During Year End, the NCS department is overloaded with the new clients brought on and have more than they can setup accurately and on time. What does this mean? It means that clients that are barely setup or not setup correctly get passed on to PSD and the department is told to deal with it. It’s a matter of Paycom not hiring enough people to manage the influx of customers that happens every year. Either someone is being greedy and not wanting to staff the place properly based on historic demand, or they are just really dumb and don’t know how to forecast growth and plan ahead. Plus, you can bet on working 60 hours a week during the really crazy times and that includes working holidays because of the staffing issue. I couldn’t tell you how many families have been negatively impacted by the work demand over year end. Basically, avoid year end at all cost.
    6. Staffing: Like I mentioned earlier, the work load has doubled or tripled over the last few years and that is 100% because they aren’t staffing the PSD department the way they should. Earlier this year they came up with a brilliant strategy. They would pay the current employees slightly more money to do twice the work. They are doing 2-3x the work for 1/5 the cost of a new employee to do the same job. It’s not a good long-term strategy and it’s showing in their turnover. What’s more, the more leaders they let go, the more clients have to be passed for the specialist that are filling their shoes. Since the new hires can’t keep up, it’s a vicious cycle of understaffing that never ends.
    7. Turnover: with the new leadership team on the PSD floor, the leading by fear is pushing some of the best specialists and leaders to leave Paycom. These are people that have been there for nearly a decade that can’t handle the way they are expected to treat their teams. They need to bring things back to the way they were 5 years ago.

Advice to Management

So, how do they fix this vicious cycle that is destroying morale and hurting the families of those employed? Well, staff the PSD floor properly and give everyone a break. Trying to smash every break, copy machine run, and escalation into 48 minutes a day is impossible. If your employees decide to unite and walk out, you will have a nightmare and nothing will crash that stock faster. Winter is coming, you should probably prepare for the worse.

"Great Place to Work with Opportunities to Learn and Advance your Career"

Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Paycom invests a lot of time and energy into developing sales professionals. From a lengthy paid training course, a week with our CSO at our corporate headquarter, to follow up training throughout your tenure, you will have every possible tool to be successful at Paycom.

The culture in the sales offices is terrific and once you make the annual President's Club Award trip you will never want to miss it again.

Cons

Thi s position is not for everyone as it is a true outside sales position that requires a thick skin, a can-do attitude, and resilience.

Advice to Management

Continue to find ways to support your top-tier reps so they can continue to sell more each year.

Jun 30, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for the review! We appreciate you sharing your experience as a tenured sales representative at Paycom.

"Paycom specialist"

Current Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and the culture is very inviting

Cons

Only way to get raises is based on revenue and they have too many employees now not enough clients

Advice to Management

Slow down on hiring people

Jul 6, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for the review! Since your new to the company, we’d like to clarify some information regarding your con. HR technology is a significant investment for businesses, thus, that process can... More

"Sales Representative"

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation, training, culture, perks, presidents club

Cons

Micromanaged by managers, strict weekly schedule that must be followed. Not a lot of freedom

Advice to Management

Give more freedom to your sales reps!

Jul 3, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for your review! We'll be sure to share your feedback with management team.

"The Kool-Aid went from Paycom Green to Murky Brown..."

Current Employee - Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Room for advancement if, and only IF, you can play the political chess game just right. And even then, you'll still probably get fired for going pee and putting your phone on DND. Don't worry that bladder of yours will be just fine with the "$1 a pay period" insurance.
    $4 lunches are pretty tasty
    End of Year Parties are always fun
    Stock Options are a definite bonus

Cons

There are several PSD managers that are managing this company into the ground. They rule with an iron fist. Management, and I' not talking TLs or Supervisors, I'm talking PSD Managers don't actually understand the product but expect us (specialists) to to handle every issue. Don't even think about addressing your struggles or your concerns with your managers, they'll think you stopped drinking the Kool-Aid. Write ups are passed out like candy on Halloween. There is so much turnover that no one can keep up with their work load.

Advice to Management

It's frustrating that management would rather fire someone instead of reinvesting some time and helping them work through the problem. Everyone is now fearful of losing their jobs for looking in the wrong direction. So when you lay in bed at night and think about the direction you want this company to move in, think about investing in your employees that are on the front line. Reevaluate your management team. Don't make snap decisions. Look into situations BEFORE you fire people. Find out the "why's". The people that work at this company WANT to work here. We love this company, but we're definitely not feeling the love in return. By the way, the camels are cute, but they're not going to fix this.

"Administrative assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun and fast pace with energetic employees

Cons

Not great at communication all the time

Jun 30, 2017 – Paycom Representative

Thank you for the review and feedback!